THE BROWNS BOARD

Rivals.com's Top Non-Con Matchups

dencyguy

I think putting Nebraska-Virginia Tech behind #5 and #6 (and maybe #4) is wrong, but there should be some great games in the early part of the year. I'm particularly stoked about Alabama-Va Tech. Here's the link:

>>1. USC at Ohio State, Sept. 12: Last season's matchup in Los Angeles was ? well, it was a dog. USC rolled and it wasn't much of a game after the first quarter. Will this season be different? Both have numerous questions heading into the season, with USC's centering on its defense and Ohio State's centering on its running backs and wide receivers. Despite the questions, these teams look to be the best in their respective leagues. And, once again, this is a chance for Ohio State to beat a marquee non-conference foe and regain some respect.

2. Alabama vs. Virginia Tech in Atlanta, Sept. 5: Alabama used a victory over Clemson, the ACC's preseason favorite, in Atlanta to jump-start a magical '08 season. Can the Tide do the same this season against the Hokies, who likely will be picked to win the ACC this season? Both teams should be in the preseason top 10.

3. Georgia at Oklahoma State, Sept. 5: The Bulldogs go on the road for their season opener, and they'll be breaking in a new quarterback and a new tailback against what should be one of the nation's most prolific offenses.

4. Oregon at Boise State, Sept. 3: A victory in this Thursday night matchup and Boise State will be feeling good about a second consecutive 12-0 regular season. Boise State won at Oregon last season.

5. Oklahoma at Miami, Oct. 3: This is Game 4 of the Hurricanes' murderous opening stretch, following matchups against Florida State, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. This will be the Sooners' first regular-season visit to Miami since 1986. These schools met in Norman in 2007, with the Sooners rolling to a 38-point victory.

6. TCU at Clemson, Sept. 26: TCU can make a statement by winning in Death Valley. This is one of 14 games played by a Mountain West Conference team against a "Big Six" league team; that's the fewest for any non-"Big Six" league.

7. Nebraska at Virginia Tech, Sept. 19: These teams met in Lincoln last season, with the Hokies winning a shootout. This comes two weeks after Tech plays Alabama in Atlanta and a week before it plays host to Miami in a key ACC game. This is Nebraska's only non-conference game that's not against a Sun Belt team; the Huskers' other non-conference matchups come at home against Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette.

8. USF at Florida State, Sept. 26: This will be the first meeting between these in-state programs. This comes a week after FSU's trip to BYU, while USF will be coming off a game against Charleston Southern.

9. Florida State at BYU, Sept. 19: FSU makes the long trek west for BYU's first home game of the season. BYU opens the season with a game in Dallas against Oklahoma, so the Cougars have a chance to make an early season case for a BCS berth ? or fall out of the discussion.

10. Texas Tech at Houston, Sept. 26: This is the first meeting between the former Southwest Conference rivals since 1995, the year the SWC went out of existence. These teams were first (Tech) and second nationally in passing last season. This is the third season in a row and the fourth time in five seasons that Tech has played a non-conference game on the road against a non-"Big Six" league opponent.

11. Utah at Oregon, Sept. 19: If you're an "establishment" person, Oregon is your team early in the season. The Ducks open at Boise State ? which was unbeaten in the regular season in 2008. Then, Oregon plays host to the Utes ? who finished unbeaten and ranked second in the nation ? in Week 3. This is Utah's toughest non-conference game of the season and its toughest road game until it plays at TCU on Nov. 14.

12. California at Minnesota, Sept. 19: Cal is expected to contend for the Pac-10 title, while Minnesota should be a middle-of-the-pack team in the Big Ten. If nothing else, this is an intriguing "measuring stick" game. <<

I guess as a Gator homer, the Florida, Florida(wannbe) State game should be on there.....but it is played every year, so I guess it gets discounted.

Georgia, Georgia Tech is always a hot rivalry.

Are Georgia and Clemson playing this year??

Athens, Ga and Clemson are maybe 50 miles apart at best...that is heated

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, that Nebraska-VTech matchup is a good one, particularly in the trenches. Last year, Nebraska d-tackle Ndamukong "House of Spears" Suh pretty much dominated Virginia Tech's highly-regarded offensive guard, Sergio Render. Both guys are back for their senior years, and each will be looking to catapult his team to victory and his draft stock through the roof with a great performance.

Suh's #93, Render's #70. I think Suh again wins the matchup but loses the game.

Man, I love college football. Darn near every week you can find 4-5 really good games with at least 1 super duper game to watch.

Give me a comfy chair, a tv with a remote for fast surfing, a 6 pack of beer, and a super stuffed sandwich, and I am good to go. I wouldn't get up if I didn't have to use the restroom.

Go Gators

Archived