THE BROWNS BOARD

Indians to lose $16 Million

If you make a product nobody wants, you don't stand to make much money from it.

Anyone hear common man and the torg completely rip the Indians ownership/management today?

The real problem here is Dolan sucks as a man of business. You learn day one that in a floundering economy it is rediculous to think that you would still have growth. To believe that you would have 2.2 million fans this season with ticket prices remaining the same is just dumb. And to plan for it is just stupid. Dolan put all his eggs in one basket and now he finds out that the basket has a hole in it. And you know who is going to pay for is ignorance the Cleveland Fans. Thank you Mr. Dolan for being so short sighted, if it weren't for owners like you we here in Cleveland Ohio would be spoiled with Championships by now. And I sure wouldn't want to feel good about myself with the economy the way it is.

Thanks for reading.

The Marlins haven't had many problems making money...

And how competitive have they been while not spending any money? They haven't been competitive since 97, when they actually spent money, only to gut the franchise the following year. If Dolan is in baseball to make money, he has his priorities mixed up. I thought you bought a sports franchise to win a championship. If he wants to make money, choose another business. If you put a winnig product on the field, and show fans you are dedicated to the team winning, people will fill the seats and buy merchandise.

And you know who is going to pay for is ignorance the Cleveland Fans.

Yikes.

I guess I should be used to it by now...but this "Championship or Bust" attitude and refusing to support the team until they turn into the Yankees just seems pretty out of place on a Cleveland Browns forum. I'm also (still) having a hard time with the "we'll go to games when you spend money" approach considering we have the 15th highest payroll (after trading Cliff, Vic, DeRosa etc) in the majors....and the 27th ranked attendance, right behind the Washington Nationals according to ESPN.

I can understand the emotion of losing a favorite player basically due to budget cuts, but I just can't figure out this whole "payroll : attendance" theory.

They haven't been competitive since 97

One World Series in '03 and three winning seasons since then. Never had any kind of payroll.

I guess it just seems to me.....if you don't want to support a loser, that's fine. You get enough losing with the Browns, I understand. But to abandon the team because we only have the 15th highest payroll and an owner who's already losing $16M that doesn't want to throw any more away...I don't know. I don't get it.

I was wrong about the Marlins not being competitive then, it just seemed like forever ago that they have been good.

When did I say I was ever giving up on the Tribe. I am still a huge fan, and root for no other team in baseball. I will never abandon them, unless they move.

I was wrong about the Marlins not being competitive then, it just seemed like forever ago that they have been good.

When did I say I was ever giving up on the Tribe. I am still a huge fan, and root for no other team in baseball. I will never abandon them, unless they move.

I didn't mean you specifically....just from all the various threads about Dolan refusing to spend money and (seemingly) everyone saying "Why should I support the team when the owner isn't committed to winning?"

In my opinion....the only owners that I care about are the assholes like Modell and the Seattle Sonics owner who take the first excuse they can get to move towns. Dolan could definitely spend more....but he's still right around the top half of the majors in highest payroll. I can't get behind boycotting the team at the gates (again, not you specifically) because you're not paying to watch Larry and Paul Dolan....you're paying to watch the Tribe. Until we start living off of revenue sharing, and as long as the players are out there trying to win...you get what you pay for. At least that's me.

As for the Marlins thing.....it's perfectly understandable. They're certainly forgettable....but probably my most hated team in sports (and thus, one of my most followed teams), or at least top 3, and it kills me even more to see them consistently pulling profits by selling their entire roster and collecting the trickle down from the teams willing to spend. Now they have another really good team with the best non-Pujols player in the sport and are set to move into their brand new stadium. Just shows what you can accomplish by spending the least money possible...

I didn't mean you specifically....just from all the various threads about Dolan refusing to spend money and (seemingly) everyone saying "Why should I support the team when the owner isn't committed to winning?"

In my opinion....the only owners that I care about are the assholes like Modell and the Seattle Sonics owner who take the first excuse they can get to move towns. Dolan could definitely spend more....but he's still right around the top half of the majors in highest payroll. I can't get behind boycotting the team at the gates (again, not you specifically) because you're not paying to watch Larry and Paul Dolan....you're paying to watch the Tribe. Until we start living off of revenue sharing, and as long as the players are out there trying to win...you get what you pay for. At least that's me.

As for the Marlins thing.....it's perfectly understandable. They're certainly forgettable....but probably my most hated team in sports (and thus, one of my most followed teams), or at least top 3, and it kills me even more to see them consistently pulling profits by selling their entire roster and collecting the trickle down from the teams willing to spend. Now they have another really good team with the best non-Pujols player in the sport and are set to move into their brand new stadium. Just shows what you can accomplish by spending the least money possible...

Baseball really pisses me off. The finances are so outta whack, and unfair. They need a hard salary cap and revenue sharing, until then, teams like the Indians winning it all are 1 in a million. :angry:

I can understand the emotion of losing a favorite player basically due to budget cuts, but I just can't figure out this whole "payroll : attendance" theory.

Totally not being a dick here CIMO, I don't think you "get it" because you didn't shell out a couple grand for season tickets. I don't even go anymore, I can't GIVE my tickets away. You can preach all you want from Texas but until spend a couple grand on a fire sale of a team, it's hard to jump on board with what your saying. I am not denying your affinity for the team, I just think it's callous not to understand the view of the people who actually live and spend thousands in this town and at the ballpark, you know.

Totally not being a dick here CIMO, I don't think you "get it" because you didn't shell out a couple grand for season tickets. I don't even go anymore, I can't GIVE my tickets away. You can preach all you want from Texas but until spend a couple grand on a fire sale of a team, it's hard to jump on board with what your saying. I am not denying your affinity for the team, I just think it's callous not to understand the view of the people who actually live and spend thousands in this town and at the ballpark, you know.

OK, that's the thing I didn't really consider. For season ticket holders stuck with what, 20, 30 more games? I can understand being pissed off. I just don't get the people who weren't going to the games anyway saying "That's it! Done with baseball!" due to a rebuilding season.

For season ticket holders though, especially for the full 81 games....I admit, you have the right to be pissed.

Sorry dude...you don't have to be a season ticket holder to get it.

And really, you prove being one doesn't mean a person does.

If it is so bad, why spend the money??

That seems stupid to me..

OK, that's the thing I didn't really consider. For season ticket holders stuck with what, 20, 30 more games? I can understand being pissed off. I just don't get the people who weren't going to the games anyway saying "That's it! Done with baseball!" due to a rebuilding season.

For season ticket holders though, especially for the full 81 games....I admit, you have the right to be pissed.

I think it is more about THIS season being done. And also about should I buy them again. I don't think me and my colleagues will, we are 10 votes to 1 right now. I might hit a couple games next year or get a 10 game package of some sort, but paying that much to see a minor league team? I can go see the Eastlake Captains for $4 on $1 beer and $1 dog night. It's not like I am saying I don't support the Tribe no matter what, I will, but next year it will be from the end of my couch with a 6 pack.

Archived