THE BROWNS BOARD

AUGUST 6 Browns Camp - Twitter Highlights

Dan in Florida

I'm DONE UPDATING this thread with TWEETS since practice is OVER.

------------------------------------

NEWEST TWEETS - AT THE TOP (OLDEST TWEETS - AT THE BOTTOM)

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

Aug 6 2009 | 3:52:12 pm

Browns QB Brady Quinn has thrown with greater accuracy today than at any point in camp.

TheOBR

More on Hadnot: He was carted off the field, appears to be a serious injury to his left knee. D. Veikune rolled over the top of the knee.

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

Aug 6 2009 | 3:35:19 pm

Browns RB Jamal Lewis fumbled and didn't even wait for the word - he began running his "punishment lap."

Aug 6 2009 | 3:34:35 pm

The word "TRUST" is painted in large letters on the Browns practice field.

DawgScooper

Practice has ended

TheOBR

Hadnot just had a knee injury...

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

Aug 6 2009 | 2:55:06 pm

The battle for the starting QB spot rages, but Browns coach Eric Mangini emphasized that he's looking at it as a long-term process and isn't swayed by which QB is having a better practice on particular days.

DawgScooper

Fake punt and Zastudil takes it up the middle

DawgScooper

Full team punt protection from insde the 5 with Steptoe and Norwood switching as the returner

DawgScooper

Rex Hadnot goes down with any injury and gets carted off the field

TheOBR

...who knew the Browns were working out DB Simeon Castille.

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

Aug 6 2009 | 2:50:32 pm

Browns rookie RB James Davis continues his impressive camp and just sprinted in for a TD.

DawgScooper

Phil Dawson is kicking balls at the smaller, skinner field goal posts

DawgScooper

11 on 11 scrimmage just ended.

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports -

Aug 6 2009 | 2:46:46 pm

Browns S Brodney Pool intercepted a pass from Brady Quinn in game simulation. Quinn is practicing with the first team. He and Derek Anderson continue to alternate.

TheOBR

We've learned that the Browns have signed a new DB. Doing some homework on it.

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports -

Aug 6 2009 | 2:39:19 pm

Browns RBs are finding some holes opened up by the right side of the line in running drills. The left side is considered a strength.

Aug 6 2009 | 2:37:03 pm

The weather at Browns camp has finally taken a turn for the worse. A few drops of rain have already fallen from the overcast sky.

Aug 6 2009 | 2:36:01 pm

All four QBs look sharp early on today. Nearly every pass of all distances has been completed.

Aug 6 2009 | 2:35:26 pm

Browns veteran DB Corey Ivy lost rookie WR Brian Robiskie on a pattern over the middle and yielded a completion in 1-on-1 drills.

Browns DB Mike Adams is participating in today's practice after missing yesterday's session with a leg injury.

DawgScooper

Fraley ad D. Jackson just got into a shoving match during contact drills

DawgScooper

Cribbs is still taking snaps and Quinn is spead wide to the outside at receiver

DawgScooper

Cribbs is tacking a snap from the WildDawg formation during a offensive line blocking drill

DawgScooper

The crowd really got into that last WR vs DB drill

DawgScooper

Robiskie, Hubbard, Edwards and Norwood get short pass catches

DawgScooper

Cribbs gets open to catch a crossing route. Legget jukes McDonald to get open for a catch.

DawgScooper

Edwards goes up over his man and gets a jump ball but lands out of bounds.

DawgScooper

Legget burns Lawson for a TD bomb. Robiske slips on his route but recovers for a catch. Ivy breaks up a pass to Furrey.

DawgScooper

Edwards beats his defender for a long bomb. Norwood jukes off his defender for a catch. Cribbs burns Sorenson for a TD bomb

DawgScooper

Robiskie burns Ivy for a long TD bomb. Steptoe beats his man on a slant.

DawgScooper

Eric Wright blankets Leggett on a sideline pass. McDonald has a break up and Furrey beats his defender.

DawgScooper

Another punt fake and a coach who is standing in for the punter takes off with the ball. Crowd, players, and other coaches are all laughing!

DawgScooper

Punt fake and Sorenson takes off with the ball.

DawgScooper

Punt protection drill from inside the 5 yard line and now from the 10.

DawgScooper

Hubbard just ran a lap for fumbling during a ball carrier vs a single defender drill

DawgScooper

Rogers just runs straight through the high stepping drills while all the other players are side stepping and zig zagging. Real funny!

DawgScooper

Full team warm ups and streching.

DawgScooper

The defense is slowly coming out to the field and WRs are warming up catching passes from their coach.

DawgScooper

QBs are warming up taking snaps. Te entire team is not all out on the field yet.

DawgScooper

Live from camp, but I have to apologize in advance if you stop seeing tweets before the end of camp at 3:30 due to dark clouds hovering above.

FIRST TWEET STARTED ABOUT 1:20PM ET THURSDAY

A brief look into the mind of Lum on the mystery of who's throwing the TD's:

If its anyone but DA there's a story behind the story that will come to light as a conspiracy to discredit DA!

Per CBS:

Aug 6 2009 | 2:36:01 pm

All four QBs look sharp early on today. Nearly every pass of all distances has been completed.

---wow Grey sounds like somebody even hauled in one of Quinn's flailing ducks today.

Anything remotely close to a tie will go to Quinn.

Uh oh, it's not looking good for Quinn.

BQ Nation even has a new slogan "Tie Goes to Quinn".

And we know this because Rich Passan says so. And he was told this by.....himself. Sweet.

Hey but that would make a lot of sense. Give half the QB reps to the backup for no apparent reason in a totally staged competition. No wonder they call him the mangenius.

(oh yeah, BQ Nation maintains the faux competition is raising DA's trade stock up a few spots, clearly something worth blowing half your training camp QB reps on)

Now cross your fingers and hope Quinnie can pull it into a tie.

Uh oh, it's not looking good for Quinn.

BQ Nation even has a new slogan "Tie Goes to Quinn".

And we know this because Rich Passan says so. And he was told this by.....himself. Sweet.

Hey but that would make a lot of sense. Give half the QB reps to the backup for no apparent reason in a totally staged competition. No wonder they call him the mangenius.

(oh yeah, BQ Nation maintains the faux competition is raising DA's trade stock up a few spots, clearly something worth blowing half your training camp QB reps on)

Now cross your fingers and hope Quinnie can pull it into a tie.

ummm....not sure about this 'half the reps blown' thinky...

the fact is most teams have 4-5 QB's in camps just so they have enough arms in camp so their QB's don't burn out.

in fact, the Browns not only have BQ and DA, they have Ratliff and Bartel. Even if there were NOT a competition...BQ/DA would only be getting about 25% of the snaps anyway.

Then, add in the fact that we don't know who is going to be the #2/#3 WR's or the #1/#2/#3 TE, or even the #1 Center...and the entire concept of 'working with the first team' means little to nothing.

So, due to the fact that any combination of all those players could be the first squad...additional snaps with what is passing for the first team on any given day is pretty much meaningless...and therefore Mangini would be losing nothing by 'staging' a QB competition.

I don't believe it is staged...and I truly think that the decision has NOT been made. I think they are going to wait and see how each LEADS THE TEAM under GAME SITUATIONS (like maybe the first 2-3 preseason games) before making that decision.

Looking pretty in shorts...or throwing pretty in practice...NEITHER makes you a good QB. Only how you perform in game situations...and that will take the preseason games to determine.

Lumbergh, what is this creepy fixation you have with Brady Quinn? It's not even like you talk about DA, it's just Quinn Quinn Quinn all the time. Seriously, you need to get a different hobby than looking for any and every comment regarding Brady Quinn.

No they wouldn't.

If you want further info about it, see: WPB Dawg Fan bitching last August about no reps for Quinn.

nope dude...I did that bitching in September and October when the SEASON was ongoing...THAT is when the reps matter because the backup gets ZERO with the ALREADY DETERMINED FIRST TEAM!!!

just sayin...if you are gonna talk smack...get the facts straight

The DA fans surprise me. You would think they would cheer Derek to another team, but I figure they know he would be nothing more than bench fodder there as well.

RestinPeac, did you catch the latest practice update on your boy?

I found it, Here it is:

Aug 6 2009 | 2:46:46 pm

Browns S Brodney Pool intercepted a pass from Brady Quinn in game simulation.

At least Lums' isn't redundant. Doesn't say the same thing over and over in slightly different ways. Isn't repetitive. Or redundant.

This was encouraging:

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

Aug 6 2009 | 3:52:12 pm

Browns QB Brady Quinn has thrown with greater accuracy today than at any point in camp.

who needs accuracy.... when you got this:

dagay.jpg

Lum... serious question for you... and I'm sorry if somebody has asked you this before, and I missed your reply...

Which hypothetical scenario would make you happier?....

Anderson wins the starting job... has a monster season... makes the Pro Bowl again... but, despite a stellar 3 TD performance, the Browns lose in the AFC Championship game?

Quinn wins the starting job... has a decent to good season... manages the team to a wild card spot... but despite so-so stats runs the table and the Browns go to Super Bowl...

No personal attack intended...

I'd just like to know.

Lum... serious question for you... and I'm sorry if somebody has asked you this before, and I missed your reply...

Which hypothetical scenario would make you happier?....

Anderson wins the starting job... has a monster season... makes the Pro Bowl again... but, despite a stellar 3 TD performance, the Browns lose in the AFC Championship game?

Quinn wins the starting job... has a decent to good season... manages the team to a wild card spot... but despite so-so stats runs the table and the Browns go to Super Bowl...

No personal attack intended...

I'd just like to know.

Tough choice. I would take Anderson if he goes 35 tds and 20 ints. Otherwise I would take Quinn over him.

I was there today. Unfortunately, Quinn's accuracy wasn't.

That's contrary to all the reports, did you keep track of his attempts and completions or key in on him the whole time?

Guest Aloysius

Just got in. Haven't yet seen "all the reports" that you speak of.

I'll post a writeup later, but the consensus among the people surrounding me at camp was that Quinn was bad. Awfully bad.

Just got in. Haven't yet seen "all the reports" that you speak of.

The gal from CBS sportsline posted a one-liner that said Quinn had his best accuracy of camp.

The twitter guy said all 4 of the QBs were equally accurate early in the practice today.

I don't know of any other camp reports.

Quinn plays poorly and the Browns go to the super bowl?

Try again. Come up with a more realistic scenario next time.

First I got one for you:

Would you rather have the Browns 2007 season as it was, or would you rather have watched Brady Quinn play and the team go 2-14 that year?

Guest Aloysius

I'd say DA was more accurate than Quinn today, especially during the first half of practice. Quinn was missing on throws to all three levels: multiple quick outs to Massaquoi and Royal were too high & wide. The pick Pool made was on a slant to Edwards that Quinn threw too high, and it appeared to be a bad read: Massaquoi appeared to be getting open on the other side of the field, with Elam too far away to offer any help. I also saw Massaquoi get open on another play, only for Quinn to throw a short pass at the shins of one of the TE's.

During one passing drill, Quinn threw a five yard pass to Harrison that looked like it was directed at the DB standing next to him. He underthrew a deep ball to Leggett during a one on one drill at the start of practice, then missed Massaqoui badly a deep throw during the practice-ending two minute drill. He also threw a slant behind Furrey that made him bend awkwardly and eventually lose control of the ball; after the play, Quinn went up to Furrey and apologized for the bad throw.

Early on, DA appeared more accurate and composed. Unfortunately, his play declined towards the end of practice. Losing Hadnot, which promoted Sowells to second team left guard, wreaked havoc on the line. Also, David Veikune seemed to line up at ROLB more often later in the practice, and he had no trouble getting around George Foster. As a result, DA lost his cool and did some pretty oafish stuff.

When one of his receivers lost his footing, resulting in a pick, Anderson ran down the field and kicked one of the end zone pylons. While he did it, he let out an all too audible "f*ck", which drew disapproving comments from parents who'd brought their kids to camp...and laughs from the rest of us. When pressure killed his two minute drill, DA took the ball and punted it back towards the end zone.

Overall, I wouldn't say it was a good day for either of our top two QB's. But it was a truly horrible day for Quinn: he didn't look like a guy who should be starting in this league.

Hopefully, I'll see something different tomorrow.

Here comes Hammertime, BRINGING IT!!

what would BQ Nation be without the peanut gallery here tossing in their $.02 every now and then.

Thanks for the contribution.

I hope you have your loser's speech ready. At what point will you concede? I'd rather not ride the fence on this issue, look at TC all you want i've watched the Browns stink up the joint for too long to sit back and take another game of DA.

His game film speaks volumes just as is did for K2 and RAC. Without the SB in their sights the organization will see Quinn in action and have alternate plans if the offers are there for DA.

$.02 ?? Not even. Just a fan. You wouldn't understand.

I'd say DA was more accurate than Quinn today, especially during the first half of practice. Quinn was missing on throws to all three levels: multiple quick outs to Massaquoi and Royal were too high & wide. The pick Pool made was on a slant to Edwards that Quinn threw too high, and it appeared to be a bad read: Massaquoi appeared to be getting open on the other side of the field, with Elam too far away to offer any help. I also saw Massaquoi get open on another play, only for Quinn to throw a short pass at the shins of one of the TE's.

During one passing drill, Quinn threw a five yard pass to Harrison that looked like it was directed at the DB standing next to him. He underthrew a deep ball to Leggett during a one on one drill at the start of practice, then missed Massaqoui badly a deep throw during the practice-ending two minute drill. He also threw a slant behind Furrey that made him bend awkwardly and eventually lose control of the ball; after the play, Quinn went up to Furrey and apologized for the bad throw.

Early on, DA appeared more accurate and composed. Unfortunately, his play declined towards the end of practice. Losing Hadnot, which promoted Sowells to second team left guard, wreaked havoc on the line. Also, David Veikune seemed to line up at ROLB more often later in the practice, and he had no trouble getting around George Foster. As a result, DA lost his cool and did some pretty oafish stuff.

When one of his receivers lost his footing, resulting in a pick, Anderson ran down the field and kicked one of the end zone pylons. While he did it, he let out an all too audible "f*ck", which drew disapproving comments from parents who'd brought their kids to camp...and laughs from the rest of us. When pressure killed his two minute drill, DA took the ball and punted it back towards the end zone.

Overall, I wouldn't say it was a good day for either of our top two QB's. But it was a truly horrible day for Quinn: he didn't look like a guy who should be starting in this league.

Hopefully, I'll see something different tomorrow.

DA started like crap and ended like crap.

Archived