THE BROWNS BOARD

Scrimmage Sunday

WPB Dawg Fan

Mangini wants this Sunday's practice to have a 'real' feel:

Cleveland Browns scrimmage on Sunday will be realistic

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer

Thursday August 06, 2009, 1:31 PM

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Eric Mangini wants to make the team scrimmage Sunday in Cleveland Browns Stadium as close to a game feel as possible.

Eric Mangini and Derek AndersonThomas Ondrey | The Plain DealerEric Mangini wants his team to get a feel for what a game in Browns Stadium is like.

"There will be a pre-game itinerary, coaches in the booth, teams split up, coaches for both teams, coaches will meet with their teams before the game, TV timeouts -- the whole operation across the board," Mangini said. "It's going to be good for those of us not familiar with the stadium to get used to that."

Mangini said he would shorten the four quarters to 10 minutes each and would not control the scrimmage by limiting a series to 10 or 12 plays. But there will be control in tackling. NFL game officials will be on hand to whistle a play dead before players are tackled to the ground.

Other than that, Mangini hopes the scrimage will resemble a game to the players and the fans. The scoreboard and game clock will be functional.

"One thing I hope is we get a lot of Browns fans there, so the guys that aren't familiar with Cleveland can really appreciate what it means to play here," he said. "My goal from a football perspective is to see the learning, the teaching, we've done to this point in all the different areas put in action in a game situation."

Man, this is the kind of stuff that makes me wish I was still in Ohio!!!

Looking forward to hearing from those of you able to attend!!!

Didn't see this anywhere yet. Sounds really cool. Anybody going?

--

Scrimmage Sunday to feel real: Cleveland Browns insider

by Tony Grossi,Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday August 06, 2009, 7:55 PM

Browns coach Eric Mangini would not say who was ahead in the competiton for the starting quarterback spot.Browns coach Eric Mangini wants to make the team scrimmage Sunday in Cleveland Browns Stadium feel as close to a real game as possible.

"It's as much like game day as it can possibly be, including a pregame itinerary, coaches in the booth, teams split up, head coaches for each team, officials come in, head coach will address the teams, have a coin toss, there'll be TV timeouts. The whole operation across the board," Mangini said.

"It's going to be good for those of us not familiar with the stadium to get used to that and see where we are operationally."

Teams will be split into two squads coached by special teams coordinator Brad Seely and quarterbacks coach Carl Smith. Mangini will preside on one sideline wearing headphones to hear offensive and defensive play-calls.

Each squad, clad in brown or white, will be mixed with front-line players and backups so that they are competitive.

"We want it tight going into the fourth quarter, and we'll see what happens," Mangini said.

Unlike typical team scrimmages, offenses will not be limited to a series of 10 or 12 plays. They will compete in game conditions and will punt or attempt a field goal if the drives stall. They will play for four quarters, shortened to 10 minutes, with the game clock and scoreboard functioning.

The only thing missing will be live tackling. There will be contact, but game officials will whistle plays dead so that players are not taken to the ground. There will be no hitting of quarterbacks or kickers.

"[On pass plays], you try to defend the ball, but at no point do you want to throw the receiver down," Mangini said. "That's a huge point of emphasis for me. Be competitive but also be smart. These are our teammates, people we care about."

Mangini said the unique format of the scrimmage, which he used with the Jets, is just another teaching tool to simulate the unpredictability of game situations. He declined to say whether he would base changes in the depth chart on the scrimmage.

"One thing I hope is we get a lot of Browns fans there, so the guys that aren't familiar with Cleveland can really appreciate what it means to play here," Mangini said. "My goal from a football perspective is to see the learning, the teaching we've done to this point in all the different areas put in action in a game situation."

Archived