THE BROWNS BOARD

Crabtree

thomasw

Thankfully, Mankok was smart enough to pass on Crabtree. What a complete waste. Article below is from ESPN.

San Francisco 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree is prepared to sit out this season and re-enter the NFL draft in 2010, David Wells, Crabtree's cousin and adviser, said Thursday.

"We are prepared to do it," Wells said. "Michael just wants fair-market value. They took him with the 10th pick and you have Darrius Heyward-Bey [the seventh overall pick by the Oakland Raiders] getting $38 million? This week is crucial. Michael was one of the best players in the draft and he just wants to be paid like one of the best players. This week is very crucial."

Wells said he believes the Niners have made an offer but that it is not acceptable. Wells said Crabtree is ready to start practicing and was held out of OTAs this spring by coaches only for precautionary reasons.

Crabtree, who turns 22 next month, also missed the 49ers' offseason minicamps and their organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury but was a regular presence at team headquarters for rehabilitation and strengthening workouts.

Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns last year during his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his collegiate career with 231 receptions, 3,127 yards and 41 TDs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4381335

Beat me to it; I was just about to post the story. Are there three more terrifying words in the English language than "Cousin and advisor?" Guys hire agents because their families--who have plenty of advice for them--are, well, morons. And if Crabtree is listening to his cousin more than his agent--which you have to think he is, or else the cousin wouldn't be speaking on his behalf--then Crabtree is a Retard.

Dennis

Guest TheJokersWILD
Beat me to it; I was just about to post the story. Are there three more terrifying words in the English language than "Cousin and advisor?" Guys hire agents because their families--who have plenty of advice for them--are, well, morons. And if Crabtree is listening to his cousin more than his agent--which you have to think he is, or else the cousin wouldn't be speaking on his behalf--then Crabtree is a Retard.

Dennis

Terry Cousin??? LOL

It is still early, but so far, I am impressed with Mangini's style of running our team. I thought we had a great draft, I was pushing for Mack from the start with our second round pick but since we traded down thought it was perfect, and Robiskie and MoMass I think will fit in nicely. Not to mention, James Davis in the later rounds and a couple of solid linebackers in between.

I especially like the fact that he brought over a few Jets that he felt could help us out. Like he said, they know his system and know how he likes to play.

As much as i love Josh Cribbs, I am happy that Mangini has not caved in throwing him a huge contract, yet. It starts with one player and then everyone wants a pay raise.

Cribbs is a talented athlete, but until he shows more productivity on offense or at safety, he should be happy with his contract after going undrafted. I'm sure he is making some pocket cash with a few local endorsements as well.

Sad to see Hadnot went down, but I think if everyone else stays healthy, we have one of the best lines in the AFC. There is more depth now on our defensive line, more younger and aggressive linebackers than Andre Davis and Willie McGinnest and I like the addition of Elam at safety.

All in all, I don't see any reason why we can't surprise some people with a playoff birth.

I expect the Ravens to fall off and finish last in our division. That defense is older by the day and lost a handful of guys. Flacco is not as cracked up as the media makes him out to be. I will be worried, however, if he goes down and Troy Smith is at the helm, 'cause he is a winner...and I am not just saying that as a Buckeyes fan.

The Bengals will be better this year, but I still expect them to be under .500, maybe 7 wins.

We will beat the Steelers this year. We will finish 10-6. I don't care who is at QB, both are capable of getting the job done. We just need to pick one and stick with it, which is what coach said we will do.

It is still early, but so far, I am impressed with Mangini's style of running our team. I thought we had a great draft, I was pushing for Mack from the start with our second round pick but since we traded down thought it was perfect, and Robiskie and MoMass I think will fit in nicely. Not to mention, James Davis in the later rounds and a couple of solid linebackers in between.

I especially like the fact that he brought over a few Jets that he felt could help us out. Like he said, they know his system and know how he likes to play.

As much as i love Josh Cribbs, I am happy that Mangini has not caved in throwing him a huge contract, yet. It starts with one player and then everyone wants a pay raise.

Cribbs is a talented athlete, but until he shows more productivity on offense or at safety, he should be happy with his contract after going undrafted. I'm sure he is making some pocket cash with a few local endorsements as well.

Sad to see Hadnot went down, but I think if everyone else stays healthy, we have one of the best lines in the AFC. There is more depth now on our defensive line, more younger and aggressive linebackers than Andre Davis and Willie McGinnest and I like the addition of Elam at safety.

All in all, I don't see any reason why we can't surprise some people with a playoff birth.

I expect the Ravens to fall off and finish last in our division. That defense is older by the day and lost a handful of guys. Flacco is not as cracked up as the media makes him out to be. I will be worried, however, if he goes down and Troy Smith is at the helm, 'cause he is a winner...and I am not just saying that as a Buckeyes fan.

The Bengals will be better this year, but I still expect them to be under .500, maybe 7 wins.

We will beat the Steelers this year. We will finish 10-6. I don't care who is at QB, both are capable of getting the job done. We just need to pick one and stick with it, which is what coach said we will do.

Quite the optimistic one, eh? I expect to finish 8-8 in this division. This would make me happy.

Forgive me as I may be wrong; but didn't Mangini write this kid off because he came off as a 'me me me gimmie gimmie gimmie' type of dude

If so; Mangini hit this nail on the head

Yeah, Mangini said he had a diva-ish attitude about him. I am SO glad we don't have to deal with this headache.

Forgive me as I may be wrong; but didn't Mangini write this kid off because he came off as a 'me me me gimmie gimmie gimmie' type of dude

If so; Mangini hit this nail on the head

Yeah, but Mike Leach said it was a load, so it must not have been true.

Dennis

I wonder what the over/under is on Leach--even with his knack of self-promotion, he has to realize his gimmick offense is going to be good for about #4 or #5 in the Big 12 most years...he's got to be scanning every Big East job opening that comes up.

This story right here begs for the barfing emoticon to make a comeback.

I don't know what the 49er front office is saying publicly but 'm sure I know what they want to say. What a douchebag. Hope he gets squat. I hope he does sit out. Sits out all season and becomes penpals with Maurice Clarett. I hope Maurice gives Crabtree some bad advice and he takes it...

"Hey, Crabtree... pssst.... know how you can get back some of that mad cash you're missing out on right now? ROB SOMEBODY man! Just pull a gun and be like GIMME YOUR MONEY MAN!!!"

Anything less wold just not be a fitting ending for Michael Crabtree in my opinion.

..... Actually, now that I think about it.... he has pulled a gun on the 49ers and demanded cash. Hmph. Go figure.

What a bitch ass move. Who the hell do these college pricks think they are holding out for money they think they deserve. Drafted 10th wants top 5 money, naa. I hope the niner's don't budge on this, they already had a T.O. Its a f**king privilege to play in this league, i cant for the life of me understand how or why they let them do this to there teams.

I'm glad we passed on this fool. And yet another reason why the NFL needs to take a look and do something with salaries for Rookies... These idiots, who don't prove anything, demanding such paydays. It's time the league steps up and protects the owners and fans. Drop these idiots like potatoes. :angry:

I'm glad we passed on this fool. And yet another reason why the NFL needs to take a look and do something with salaries for Rookies... These idiots, who don't prove anything, demanding such paydays. It's time the league steps up and protects the owners and fans. Drop these idiots like potatoes. :angry:

Why should the owners deserve protection? Did they buy the team or not? Did their teams pick the players or not? Since the answer to both questions is yes, why should they be shielded from the effects of their decisions? As to the fans, we don't need protection, since we are not affected in any substantial way by what happens with contract negotiations. I keep going back to one of my favorite quotes from Bill Russell to a younger player--Remember that you owe the fans the same thing they owe you: nothing.

Dennis

Why should the owners deserve protection? Did they buy the team or not? Did their teams pick the players or not? Since the answer to both questions is yes, why should they be shielded from the effects of their decisions? As to the fans, we don't need protection, since we are not affected in any substantial way by what happens with contract negotiations. I keep going back to one of my favorite quotes from Bill Russell to a younger player--Remember that you owe the fans the same thing they owe you: nothing.

Dennis

I have to agree - the owner can decide not to pay the guy and let him re-enter the draft. It may hurt the team in the short run, but in the long run, it may be a wise move. The owners don't need protection - most of them are smart businessmen (excluding Mike Brown in Cincitucky). Large contracts may contribute slightly to ticket pricess, the effect is probably pretty minimal; NFL teams don't rely on paying salaries out of ticket sales.

Who is risking more? A player who sits out a whole year and can't play any football, or the owner who loses a rookie player who wasn't likely to heavily contribute anyhow?

it just appears to me that crabs doesn't have the mental capacity to understand he's wasn't a top 5 pick.....you dont get paid according to where you should have gone, as thats mere speculation. you get paid per your slotting....greedy diva thinks that since his college stats were better than the first taken, that he should get paid more.....

i hop he sits the season. he wont even go in the first round next year....

would laugh if he does reenter the draft and a rookie pay scale is enacted or better yet, he goes undrafted (that won't happen but would be funny as hell if it did)

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, Crabtree's character issues were pretty disconcerting. Another thing worth noting: his college QB seemed to prefer one of our rooks:

I interviewed Graham Harrell at the Sr. Bowl and he was impressed with Robiskie. He said he was a better route runner than Crabtree.

His agent is his cousin, correct? Look, there are plenty of agents right now calling Crabtree and telling him he'll never see the money from 2009 - ever. If he doesn't sign, this is an entire season of income DOWN THE DRAIN. And then, his agent has to think I may get fired, so I better get him signed.

Lose-Lose situation for both of these morons.

Get to camp.

His agent is his cousin, correct? Look, there are plenty of agents right now calling Crabtree and telling him he'll never see the money from 2009 - ever. If he doesn't sign, this is an entire season of income DOWN THE DRAIN. And then, his agent has to think I may get fired, so I better get him signed.

Lose-Lose situation for both of these morons.

Get to camp.

I don't think his cousin is his agent, just his advisor. His agent is Eugene Parker, his cousin is David Wells.

PFT Link

Archived