THE BROWNS BOARD

Don Carey cut

Guest mz.

Guest Aloysius

Mangini said the following at Friday's presser:

We signed Brandon Anderson and waived Don Carey injured. Don has to go through the waiver process and then, if he clears injury waivers, he reverts back to us for the injured reserve category. It’s disappointing for him, for us, but it happens. He wouldn’t be available until next year’s mini-camps and OTAs and things like that. It’s the next time we’d actually see him on the field. We’ll see what happens here and move forward accordingly.

Should be interesting to see if that's accurate, or just a strategic fib to keep Carey a Brown.

Actually, if you parse his words, you could read it as him saying that the IR designation would prohibit Carey from practicing until the spring. But it was reported by some media outlets as Mangini saying that Carey would be too hurt to play this year.

I'm sure that's what he wanted teams to hear. Unfortunately, Carey still got claimed.

i love it when they petition their Lord with prayer in honor of the pigskin. deities just a hangin' out up there, waiting for the request to finger-zap them to the Hall of Fame!

first off, the only way "God's" plan includes designs for his "football success" (or Ray Lewis', or Jamarcus Russel's, or any other shameless self-promoting sports figure that thinks "God" is steering their sports career) is if his/her name is Beelzebub, Lucifer, or Mephistopheles.

so...CLE closed the door? hmmmm. Mangy mighta got caught trying to stock the cupboards while this kid wants to play this year. he might live to regret leaving CLE, cuz we are on our way folks.

I think it's as simple as the Browns wanted to stash him with an injury that probably wasn't worthy of being out the full season and obviously Jacksuck knew better---or maybe they want to stash him too? I'll bet Shep's left nut that they weren't the only ones interested either.

This kid is a good player with all the tools and very intelligent. He slid in the draft strictly cuz of where he went to school I'm sure.

I'm confused why we couldn't just put him on the injured reserve for a year like any other injured player.

Is he one of the draft picks we acquired in a trade?

Zombo

Z I think it's designed to keep teams from stashing rooks on IR that aren't really hurt. They have to be exposed to waivers but there have to be stipulations since what happens if your first round pick goes down early on?

Okay so I have 3 questions:

1) We put him on waivers per the "injury" because we cannot just slide him onto IR. So Jax claimed him - doesn't he HAVE to stay on their active roster the whole season?

2) If they want to place him on IR, doesn't he have to go on waivers again?

3) If they do place him on waivers, doesn't the team that drafted him - Cleveland - get first dibs?

This seems like a ripoff to me if Jax gets to eventually place him on IR.

It appears Mankoks attitude will be to keep things moving in the event of rookie and perhaps even elder veterans who endure injuries because an injured player on the sideline cant help the club which desperately needs able bodies it kinda sucks that carey was doing so well then pop and he is waived...

It does show that mangini isnt playin around he wants tough guys and im sure careys departure has the rooks thinking about that...

Its now over. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, he is not going to be the deciding factor for our team. Next topic.

Hey, the guys on this thread will decide when it's the next topic. If you don't give a shit then leave the thread alone.

BTW, it may not be over with it is possible for him to end up back here, that's why we're trying to figure out what's going on.

Seriously, you guys that need to throw your bullshit in on threads just stay out of them. It's busy time, there are threads everywhere to play in.

Just got a twitter update from Don Carey, he says thanks for the love the fans showed him in his brief time here, and he's now heading to Jacksonville.

Classy goodbye from a classy guy.

Sent: Aug 8, 2009 2:56p

RT @doncarey: thanks to everyone for you support. I really appreciate the love. I will be fine. Goodbye to browns fans and HELLO Jax!

sent via TweetDeck

Okay so I have 3 questions:

1) We put him on waivers per the "injury" because we cannot just slide him onto IR. So Jax claimed him - doesn't he HAVE to stay on their active roster the whole season?

2) If they want to place him on IR, doesn't he have to go on waivers again?

3) If they do place him on waivers, doesn't the team that drafted him - Cleveland - get first dibs?

This seems like a ripoff to me if Jax gets to eventually place him on IR.

I am wondering if anyone know the answer to the above? I can't find the info I am looking for on any of the sites I know.

Hey, the guys on this thread will decide when it's the next topic. If you don't give a shit then leave the thread alone.

That's a GREAT job by you man!

WTF is so hard about people skipping a topic that they're not interested in? There's enough topics being posted to cater to everyone's interest. Just be happy you gotta place to come air out your thoughts. Again, if you don't LIKE a topic - try to keep in mind OTHERS do and move on.

- Tom F.

I am wondering if anyone know the answer to the above? I can't find the info I am looking for on any of the sites I know.

The gay ass Twitter is the best proof we've got. Aloy's post was based on Thursday and Mary Kay and the PD have basically dropped the ball since. I honestly don't think they know what happened.

Guest Aloysius

Apparently, Don Carey does need surgery on his shoulder:

@Tstrong60 waiting to get this surgery done dawg how is camp?

Still a bit unclear about how the waiver/injury process works, but my impression is that a team can only shield an injured rookie from the waiver wire if it keeps the player on the roster until final cuts.

So the only way Mangini could have kept Carey, who apparently won't be of any use this year, was by letting him take up a roster spot for the rest of camp. Mangini wasn't cool with that; Jacksonville presumably values Carey enough that they're okay with it. They're essentially trading the opportunity to look at another guy now for having Carey next year.

Based on what we've heard about Carey's character and his play during minicamp, that may not be such a bad deal.

Apparently, Don Carey does need surgery on his shoulder:

Still a bit unclear about how the waiver/injury process works, but my impression is that a team can only shield an injured rookie from the waiver wire if it keeps the player on the roster until final cuts.

So the only way Mangini could have kept Carey, who apparently won't be of any use this year, was by letting him take up a roster spot for the rest of camp. Mangini wasn't cool with that; Jacksonville presumably values Carey enough that they're okay with it. They're essentially trading the opportunity to look at another guy now for having Carey next year.

Based on what we've heard about Carey's character and his play during minicamp, that may not be such a bad deal.

Not a bad deal at all for Jax, in my humble opinion.

Too bad we didn't take the chance on him. I understand roster spots are precious, but what spot would he really be taking away? Our 5th/6th WR? A guy that would see 15 snaps all year if he's lucky?

Sorry, but I'll take Don Carey and wait a year. The guy just has too much potential, has his head screwed on straight, and has all the physical tools. He went to a small school and he is a tad smaller....so what. BOB SANDERS.

I think Mangini whiffed on this one.

Guest Aloysius

Apparently, the Browns didn't expect Carey to be claimed, with one league source telling Tony Grossi that Jacksonville's move was "unethical".

Grossi also confirms my understanding of how the rookie waiver/injury process works. Though Brandon Anderson looked good last night, I'm inclined to agree with Tim: Mangini shouldn't have risked losing Carey.

Curious case: When the Browns gave up on rookie cornerback Don Carey five days into training camp, it was a surprise. When the Jaguars claimed the injured player the next day, it was a shock.

"That's the first time I've ever seen that," said an official with another team. "I would have bet money that nobody would have claimed him."

It's not as if Carey was certain to even make the team. He is a developmental player, selected in the sixth round from Norfolk State. Plus, he suffered a shoulder injury on the first day of camp and probably will need surgery and be sidelined for the year.

Still, according to one source, "Everybody in the [browns'] building liked him," and some coaches were against exposing Carey to waivers. So why did they?

Until the first roster cut, teams have to expose an injured player to waivers before putting him on injured reserve. The Browns could have waited another two weeks to do that, but they would have lost the roster spot and continued with 79 players in camp. Coach Eric Mangini didn't want to do that. He filled Carey's spot with Brandon Anderson of Akron.

"So what?" said one source. "So you go one player down a little while. That was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. You never give up on a young cornerback you like."

Another school of thought is that Jacksonville was out of line in claiming Carey. The Jaguars broke no rule but broke protocol, said the source.

"We all have to 'waive/injured' players every year," the source said. "We're all in the same boat. You just don't claim those guys. What Jacksonville did was unethical."

Jacksonville General Manager Gene Smith has been aggressive in claiming healthy players waived by other teams to replenish a roster famished for talent. The Jaguars, who hired former Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker in the off-season, showed an interest in Carey before the draft.

The Jaguars have to keep Carey on their active list until the first cut. Carey's specific injury and rehab timetable are unknown. The Jaguars declined to make him available for comment. Interestingly, they denied an interview request for Smith, too.

Apparently, the Browns didn't expect Carey to be claimed, with one league source telling Tony Grossi that Jacksonville's move was "unethical".

Grossi also confirms my understanding of how the rookie waiver/injury process works. Though Brandon Anderson looked good last night, I'm inclined to agree with Tim: Mangini shouldn't have risked losing Carey.

The boo boos are starting to mount.

Hey Jacksuck, fook you.

Well I don't like the move because in essence you have just lost a player you like - a high character, athletic, smart guy - for a spot (80th) you will obvioulsy cut. So you're @ 79? So what? I understand Jax broke protocol, but we should have never exposed him, IMO.

Archived