THE BROWNS BOARD

Brady Quinn's Mechanics

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

After JJ and I discussed Brady Quinns mechanics earlier today, I thought I'd do some digging. I reported that I wasn't happy with a low release from Quinn. I called it "flicking from the waist". Looking over some photo's of Quinn, I came up with these two different throwing motions

LOW RELEASE

Brady%20Quinn%202%20low.jpgBrady%20Quinn%204%20low.jpgBrady%20Quinn.jpg

Ironically, not every photo I found fit so nicely into the theory that his mechanics changed since he left Notre Dame, but here's a good example of him having a higher point of release from his college years:

HIGHER RELEASE

Brady%20Quinn%209%20high.jpgBrady%20Quinn%202%20high.jpgBrady%20Quinn%204%20high.jpg

The lower holding of the ball and release is what I witnessed at Camp. Perhaps he feels he has to 'wind-up' and get more on his passes to keep up with DA's cannon and this results in him dipping lower and trying to bring it from deeper down.

It's like when you play golf with a big hittter and he throws your game off because you find yourself trying to hitter harder than you can handle.

Anyhow, I thought it was interesting and something to watch.

After JJ and I discussed Brady Quinns mechanics earlier today, I thought I'd do some digging. I reported that I wasn't happy with a low release from Quinn. I called it "flicking from the waist". Looking over some photo's of Quinn, I came up with these two different throwing motions

LOW RELEASE

Ironically, not every photo I found fit so nicely into the theory that his mechanics changed since he left Notre Dame, but here's a good example of him having a higher point of release from his college years:

HIGHER RELEASE

Brady%20Quinn%209%20high.jpgBrady%20Quinn%202%20high.jpgBrady%20Quinn%204%20high.jpg

The lower holding of the ball and release is what I witnessed at Camp. Perhaps he feels he has to 'wind-up' and get more on his passes to keep up with DA's cannon and this results in him dipping lower and trying to bring it from deeper down.

It's like when you play golf with a big hittter and he throws your game off because you find yourself trying to hitter harder than you can handle.

Interesting. Hmm... Maybe this factors in starting Anderson? :blink:

Guest ATENEARS
It's funny, cause in those Browns pics he almost looks like he's throwing it sidearm Kosar style....

And for the record I could give a shit less how he throws the damn ball as long as he gets it to the WR and scores some f*cking touchdowns....

I'm with you there ... I'm not big on how you throw it, but how well you throw it. JJ brought up some things Quinn is supposedly working on, and I discovered that he's actually getting farther away from standing tall and more-so in getting a bit skitterish (aka Garcia-like).

One set of photo's reeks confidence (ND) and the other a bit unstable (Browns).

I'm with you there ... I'm not big on how you throw it, but how well you throw it. JJ brought up some things Quinn is supposedly working on, and I discovered that he's actually getting farther away from standing tall and more-so in getting a bit skitterish (aka Garcia-like).

One set of photo's reeks confidence (ND) and the other a bit unstable (Browns).

BTW, whose JJ? Joe Jurevicius?

I think Quinn oughta to stick with his older mechanics. :)

I was telling this to Alo, but both Stan and I noticed him rushing things too. Alo brought up that he had this nervous energy until Weiss got a hold of him and may now be reverting back to it. I blame most of his short passes that are off on just going to fast.

He's at that classic point old QB's talk about before the "light bulb" went off and the game finally slowed down for them. It's something most in sports go through at some point, but it's up to him to handle it.

I remember trying to win the varsity second base gig as a sophomore going against the senior incumbent. I tried to hard and rushed everything. I know I lost that job cuz of that.

Guest ATENEARS
Stan, not to get off of the Brady topic but did you see Ratliff throwing? If so, what's your thoughts on him?

I didn't see much of him. I have no real comment either way.

Well, Rip tried to change his grip and where his hand was on the ball. He wanted Brady to have his index finger higher towards the tip of the ball. So, maybe that has "dissolved" his mechanics a bit from his days at ND.

I have noticed in photos and video if you look at his hand, he has his middle and ring finger on the seams very close together. Most QB's that I've looked at, and myself just as a normal guy throwin the ball, have the index finger and middle finger above the seam towards the tip.

I don't know if this causes loss of velocity, but his grip is a bit different.

Pick up a football and check out your own grip to see how it naturally feels.

LOW RELEASE

HIGHER RELEASE

Your pictures show me nothing useful. The Notre Dame pics show Quinn at the point of release (above his ear). Your Browns pics show him early in the throwing motion- way before the point of release. Your point about flicking it from down low is probably right, but i don't see how these pics support that.

roach (Didn't Kosar "flick" it kind of sidearm?)

Guest ATENEARS
7364a2f393743d3c72750d3d510edbb2.jpg

Here's a better pic.

I pulled a bunch of similar pictures off the net ... yes, you can find a lot of exceptions. However the funny thing about them though is when he is using proper mechanics, many times they are practice throws or for photo opts.

LOW RELEASE

HIGHER RELEASE

Those are great shots. But, I think the only thing we're really seeing here is Quinn being a little more deliberate keeping his front hand on the ball. He's following it all the way back into the throwing motion.

If you look at the 1st and 2nd shot, he's going to come straight up from there. And that left hand is protecting the ball until the last possible moment. I'd say, his mechanics have actually improved in the Browns shots. He's better protected. He's in a more athletic position, and he's got that back leg loaded.

That third shot... I don't know. It almost looks like a pump fake. He's sort of leaning to his left... more than would be normal, anyway. But when you look at his hips, you can see he's cleared them already. It's almost as if his target is well off to his left. Like he's going whip throw to a drag route or something. It's really hard to tell from a single frame. Then again, Quinn might do just about anything with pressure in his face. I'm sure he's got a Kent Tekulve slider in there somewhere. (that reference is just to check the ages and memories of various readers).

But if you look at the ND shots, he's a bit to narrow... almost straight up and down. In the second shot, he's got his front hand off the ball before he even moves into his throwing motion. That's a big No No in the NFL. And if you look at the first ND photo, you can see that he's about a third of the way through his motion and his weight is still on his back foot. If that ball goes 40 yards it's going to have re-entry burns coming back down.

Usually, when qb's make the transition to the NFL, it's about compacting their delivery. It looks like Quinn has done this. I'm just going to have to watch for the low-release thing.

-jj

quarterbacks adjust the release based upon the rush, position of o-lineman, what kind of route guys are running, where the defender is in relation to the reciever, and how much pressure they get.This changes pretty much on every play in a "real" game. I think you guys are NUTS.. Your trying to decipher someones throwing glitches from still shots when you cannot see the rest of the picture. It's like trying to analyze a rifleman when you don't know what he's shooting at.. Give it up.

Those are great shots. But, I think the only thing we're really seeing here is Quinn being a little more deliberate keeping his front hand on the ball. He's following it all the way back into the throwing motion.

If you look at the 1st and 2nd shot, he's going to come straight up from there. And that left hand is protecting the ball until the last possible moment. I'd say, his mechanics have actually improved in the Browns shots. He's better protected. He's in a more athletic position, and he's got that back leg loaded.

That third shot... I don't know. It almost looks like a pump fake. He's sort of leaning to his left... more than would be normal, anyway. But when you look at his hips, you can see he's cleared them already. It's almost as if his target is well off to his left. Like he's going whip throw to a drag route or something. It's really hard to tell from a single frame. Then again, Quinn might do just about anything with pressure in his face. I'm sure he's got a Kent Tekulve slider in there somewhere. (that reference is just to check the ages and memories of various readers).

But if you look at the ND shots, he's a bit to narrow... almost straight up and down. In the second shot, he's got his front hand off the ball before he even moves into his throwing motion. That's a big No No in the NFL. And if you look at the first ND photo, you can see that he's about a third of the way through his motion and his weight is still on his back foot. If that ball goes 40 yards it's going to have re-entry burns coming back down.

Usually, when qb's make the transition to the NFL, it's about compacting their delivery. It looks like Quinn has done this. I'm just going to have to watch for the low-release thing.

-jj

Thank you Jason. I remember Tekulve and his sidearm motion. He played for the Pirates back in the early 80's.

Fascinating pitcher to watch. That does bring back some memories. :)

BQs Mechanics have somewhat changed over the last 2 years and ive always blamed rip "the butcher" scherer for making quinn change his grip and alter his mechanics to "try" to make bq more of a gunner like DA than an archer now bq actually looks more ackward..this guy was a horrible qb coach...i wouldnt let this guy coach my 14 year old son in a middle school program...;)

BQs Mechanics have somewhat changed over the last 2 years and ive always blamed rip "the butcher" scherer for making quinn change his grip and alter his mechanics to "try" to make bq more of a gunner like DA than an archer now bq actually looks more ackward..this guy was a horrible qb coach...i wouldnt let this guy coach my 14 year old son in a middle school program... ;)
and he was also the assistant head coach. :blink:

joking aside i actually believe he improved him.

Stan i think you're spot on with the wind-up comment. after a few more years experience throwing that way the deliberateness will be long gone as it becomes more and more natural for him. the wind-up will nearly disappear and he'll be able to fire quickly from the shoulder, a marked improvement.

after that dialogue he had with Woodson about Kosar i wonder if he will try to use body language to help "look-off" and disguise his targets more. not just his head but throwing off-axis etc.

i'm sure he realizes he's probably classified as "a looker" in the Rod file, due to being a young Qb. maybe some sidearm practice on his days off? why not? i would.

Guest Aloysius
Stan, not to get off of the Brady topic but did you see Ratliff throwing? If so, what's your thoughts on him?

He threw some very nice deep balls at the beginning of practice yesterday.

Guest Aloysius
That's really fascinating, no kidding. Seemed to me that when I watched Quinn in games (mostly preseason) his mechanics looked good. Somebody wanna look at the Denver game, or can Alo bring it back over here?

Here ya go:

Larger clip here.

Ratliff is actually why I joined the forum.

He has a cannon for an arm, but I also think people made too much of him, expecting him to be the next Jason Garcia (UDFA). With Anderson and Quinn in front of him, he'll be lucky to get snaps in practice, let alone a regular season game.

Archived