THE BROWNS BOARD

AUG 7 Friday's Browns Camp - Twitter Highlights

Dan in Florida

NEWER TWEETS AT THE TOP (OLDER TWEETS AT THE BOTTOM)

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

3:43:53 pm Browns PK Phil Dawson knows new coach Eric Mangini has run a physical. intense camp, but he's not complaining. "To watch the other guys go through what they're going through, I'm not about to comment that I have it rough." he joked.

3:40:47 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini criticized his receiving corps for dropping too many passes throughout camp. "That comes down to focus," he said.

3:31:10 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini stressing concentration in regard to securing the football in the passing game: "You can run a great play, have great protection, run a great route and have a great throw. But a lack of focus on catching the ball can turn a great play into a bad one."

3:27:19 pm TE Robert Royal, a free agent pickup from Buffalo, has dropped several passes during camp. Coach

2:59:27 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini admitted that it's taking KR Josh Cribbs time to adapt to playing more WR, but he's pleased with one area of his game. "He's gotten open and he's done a nice job in terms of route depths," Mangini said.

2:58:22 pm The Browns worked extensively today on the two-minute drill. Coach Eric Mangini said he with time running out his offense can complete a pass, return to the line of scrimmage and spike the ball to stop the clock within 16 seconds.

2:55:48 pm The Browns officially announced the signing of free agent DB Brandon Anderson. Anderson had been signed by the Indianapolis Colts but was let go quickly. He made 45 tackles as a senior with the University of Akron.

2:54:52 pm Second-year TE Martin Rucker , who is battling with Robert Royal and Steve Heiden for playing time at that position, lost 10 pounds during the offseason to improve his speed and quickness. He is now at about 243 pounds.

11:15:28 am Browns DB Nick Sorenson, who might be on the bubble in regard to making the club, provided blanket coverage and batted away a Brady Quinn pass in the two-minute drill.

11:09:37 am Browns QB Derek Anderson has struggled in the past throwing short passes accurately, but has performed better in that aspect of the game. He just fired two strikes in the two-minute drill.

DawgScooper

Since practice ran long today look for my report to be up on the website around 1:00 PM EST. Have a great weekend!

DawgScooper

Practice has ended and sorry for the lack of tweets bit it was due to detailed note taking for more statistical anaylsis on the QBs

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

10:50:32 am Reliable Browns PK Phil Dawson , who has no competition in camp, just hit a 54-yard field goal dead center.

10:45:52 am The Browns short passing game has been crisp most of the day. That could prove critical considering the lack of a deep threat on the roster.

10:42:30 am The majority of "punishment laps" throughout camp have been run by Browns OL for jumping offside and committing other mental mistakes.

10:36:16 am Browns special teams coach Brad Seely expressed his satisfaction with his group's kickoff coverage, yelling "Good ... Real good!" on successive plays.

10:34:20 am Pass blocking, which was one of few Browns strengths a year ago, has been solid throughout camp.

10:30:00 am Browns rookie RB James Davis continues to make his presence felt. He hauled in a pass from Brady Quinn and faked out two defenders for a long gain in game simulation.

10:25:21 am Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach have been lining up consistently on the left side of the OL with the first team today. The loss of Rex Hadnot to injury might solidify Steinbach as the starter at LG.

DawgScooper

Onside kick and Wright recovers it for the kick team

DawgScooper

Steptoe fumbles a kick return and gets a lap. New DB Anderson get a lap too

DawgScooper

More kick return and coverage drills

DawgScooper

Another set of 11 on 11 drills and Anderson outplays Quinn in this round

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

10:09:22 am Browns OL are getting tested by one of the best. They're all being schooled by Pro Bowl NT Shaun Rogers in blocking drills.

9:58:06 am Practice had to be stopped for a short time to remove a zealous fan from clutching QB Anderson's leg...he was identified as just Lumbergh. ..jk

DawgScooper

Rogers beat his guys twice during pass rushing drills

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

9:36:06 am Browns WR Braylon Edwards, who led the NFL in drops a year ago, continues to snag everything thrown his way.

DawgScooper

1 on 1 WR vs DB drills Wright blanketed Edwards to prevent a catch an then asked the crowd where his cheers were. Crowd clapped and laughed

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

9:23:12 am A group of female teenage camp attendees with a familiar cry to Browns QB Brady Quinn: "We love you, Brady!"

DawgScooper

Dawson and Zastudil both lined up to to kick the ball, but Zastudil fakes his kick and then Dawson kicks it for an onside kick. Trickery!

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

9:17:21 am Both WRs Paul Hubbard and Josh Cribbs dropped easy catches. Hubbard has been inconsistent throughout camp.

DawgScooper

The special teams are practicing their low, squib kicks with Steptoe and Norwood returning the ball. Alex Mack just returned a short kick

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

9:16:10 am Browns RB Jamal Lewis, who will be trying to squeeze out another 1,000-yard season, bolted through the line for a long gain early in game simulation.

DawgScooper

Royal running a lap

DawgScooper

11 on 11 second and long drills Quinn got a first down as did Anderson on their reps

DawgScooper

Defense is doing a interception return drill with the coaches trying to bat the ball away like they were receivers.

DawgScooper

All players are warming up in preparation for their drills

DawgScooper

The zebras are out and all the other players are slowly filing out to the field.

DawgScooper

Anderson and Quinn are now out early too.

DawgScooper

The O-Line is out bright and early with no sign of anyone else yet.

DawgScooper

Good morning once again, happy weekend and welcome to Browns Camp!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 on 11 second and long drills Quinn got a first down as did Anderson on their reps

half a minute ago from web

Defense is doing a interception return drill with the coaches trying to bat the ball away like they were

=========

Edit: OK, I get what you're doing. Nice!!

NON-TWEET/ RapidReports

9:23:12 am A group of female teenage camp attendees with a familiar cry to Browns QB Brady Quinn: "We love you, Brady!"

May want to check again. It's possible this was actually RifferX with his pink #10 jersey on, accompanied by Flugel.

I'm just going to make a quick comparison for those of you who say DA sucks...

Here are the first 3 years for DA and another young starting QB in the league:

DA

27 starts in 31 games

506/927, 6195yds, 43 TD, 35 INT, QBR 75.1

Other QB

39 starts in 41 games (yes, he was a 1st round pick)

690/1277, 8049yds, 54 TD, 44 INT, QBR 73.1

Now, this OTHER QB has won the SB, been the MVP of said SB, and is now the highest paid QB in the league.

Yup, Eli Manning.

In fact, his 4th year was even worse statistically, but that was when he won the SB. It wasn't until year 5 that he showed that he could be a top notch QB...and even then was only rated 86.4 and was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

So, despite the fact that I post a lot of negative stuff about DA, I DO NOT think he sucks...I just think he needs to make some progress (and soon) or he will not get the chance to do it as a Browns player.

So, despite the fact that I post a lot of negative stuff about DA, I DO NOT think he sucks...I just think he needs to make some progress (and soon) or he will not get the chance to do it as a Browns player.

I think a lot of us are coming around to the idea of DA still being our starting QB. It's not like he's the worst QB ever and he's still young. Especially if Quinn still isn't getting it, then DA is our best QB.

But it doesn't matter how amazing he is in training camp or the preseason, we're still going to have those doubts until he can go a stretch of games in the regular season without having one of his Retard games.

I think a lot of us are coming around to the idea of DA still being our starting QB. It's not like he's the worst QB ever and he's still young. Especially if Quinn still isn't getting it, then DA is our best QB.

But it doesn't matter how amazing he is in training camp or the preseason, we're still going to have those doubts until he can go a stretch of games in the regular season without having one of his Retard games.

I agree!!!

9:58:06 am Practice had to be stopped for a short time to remove a zealous fan from clutching QB Anderson's leg...he was identified as just Lumbergh. ..jk

Lol nice one!

Got to love this staff and the process they are implimenting the browns are going to be tuff and very competitive in the next couple of years! ;)

9:17:21 am Both WRs Paul Hubbard and Josh Cribbs dropped easy catches. Hubbard has been inconsistent throughout camp

I said it before, you cannot coach good hands. This kid had this problem in WI - inconsistent and lack focus. I love the 'possibilty' he has, but I just have this gut feeling we will never see this kids potential. Yes it's very, very early in his development, but I just don't feel it with this kid.

Guest Masters
I said it before, you cannot coach good hands. This kid had this problem in WI - inconsistent and lack focus. I love the 'possibilty' he has, but I just have this gut feeling we will never see this kids potential. Yes it's very, very early in his development, but I just don't feel it with this kid.

Just to keep in perspective, we are talking about a kid who never played organized football until a few years ago. He was a track guy that WIS turned into a football player. While you can't teach good hands per say, you can teach technique for catching, picking up the ball in the air, which way you should turn to catch on passes, etc. This guy is well behind everyone else when it comes to it.

Not saying he will work out, but he can't fairly be compared to most other guys coming in from college.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report: Friday 8/7 8:45 AM Practice

Written by Daniel Wolf

After yesterday's bad quarterback play, today's article is focusing mostly on the quarterback battle, which is going to make a lot of people happy (or sad).

Before we get to the quarterbacks, there are a few quick things worth mentioning that took place during practice drills.

The most notable was with the special teams. They were practicing their onside kicks and what was strange is that punter Dave Zastudil and kicker Phil Dawson were lined up near the kickoff tee like they were both going to kick the ball.

First Zastudil would run up to the ball, but intentionally miss the ball, and then Dawson would be right there behind him actually kicking the ball in the other direction.

It's great to see a little trickery during camp!

Also, linebacker Alex Hall got to the quarterbacks three times for sacks, Rogers had two, and rookie linebacker David Veikune got another sack today just to name a few.

Rookie running back James Davis had yet another long play of over 25 yards. It seems that every practice, Davis has been able to break a long gain. He caught a short screen pass from backup quarterback Brett Ratliff and took it about 35 yards down the field showing off his speed and elusiveness once again.

Two other players to highlight were tight ends Steve Heiden and Robert Royal who both caught three to four passes each in practice.

During a wide receiver versus defensive back one-on-one drill, cornerback Eric Wright was covering receiver Braylon Edwards, and Wright got the better of Edwards with some really tight coverage and the ball was incomplete.

Immediately, after the play, Wright turned to the crowd and asked, "I don't get any cheers for that?"

The crowd then gave him a round of applause (and a few laughs) for his great coverage against Edwards.

The final mention has to go to the pass rush drill where one pass rusher would line up against an offensive lineman and Shaun Rogers smoked his opposition twice along with C.J. Mosley and Hall beat their guys to get to the quarterback as well.

Now to the good stuff.

There were many different scrimmages today, all of them were a different type of situation.

The first was a 11-on-11 starting at second and long.

Comp. Att. Yards TD INT Dropped passes

Quinn........ 1 2 12 0 0 1 (Leggett)

Anderson... 2 3 15 0 0 1 (Cribbs)

Note on drill: Not too much happen in this drill as you can see by the stats.

Next was a six on eight drill that had a quarterback with four receivers and a running back against eight total defensive backs and linebackers. No lineman were used in this scenario.

Comp. Att. Yards TD INT Dropped Passes

Quinn........ 4 5 68 0 0 0

Anderson... 4 6 33 0 0 0

Note on drill: Remember there was no pressure on the quarterbacks in this drill since even the linebackers were dropping back into coverage.

Then the team went back into the 11-on-11 scrimmage with a focus on short, possession passes.

Quinn........ 3 5 12 0 0 0

Anderson... 7 9 71 0 0 2 (Edwards, Steptoe)

Note on drill: Quinn and rookie center Alex Mack fumbled a snap and therefore both had to run a lap which gave Anderson some extra reps. Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley showed good pressure on the quarterbacks several times during this drill. Hall sacked both Quinn and Anderson. Also, Josh Cribbs lined up in the backfield with Anderson and took a direct snap which he was looking to pass the ball, but the defense read it perfect and sacked him behind the line of scrimmage.

Next up were more 11-on-11 drills but from inside the offenses own five yard line.

Quinn........ 4 5 43 0 0 0

Anderson... 0 2 0 0 0 0

Note on drill: During Anderson's reps the offense called more running plays than during Quinn's reps. Offensive lineman Eric Steinbach, Floyd Womack and Isaac Sowells all had to run laps due to false starts.

Now the offense had to take the ball from the opposing 40 yard line and score with only 11 seconds left on the clock. (Another 11-on-11 drill)

Quinn........ 1 2 5 0 0 0

Anderson... 2 4 17 0 0 0

Note on drill: Quinn did have a 10 yard scramble, but Dawson only made one of three field goals that were in the range of 45-52 yards.

Finally, the last 11-on-11 was from the offenses own 20 yard line with 1:48 left on the clock.

Quinn........ 6 10 41 0 0 0

Anderson... 3 5 42 0 0 0

Note on drill: Quinn definitely moved the ball better than Anderson on this particular drill, but both quarterbacks could not get a score and they were each sacked once by linebacker David Bowens and Veikune.

Overall, today's quarterback play was much improved over Thursday's, but Quinn is still holding onto the ball for way too long and he really needs to make better (and quicker) decisions on where to throw it. He still isn't taking any chances down the field and would rather settle for a short pass to a tight end or running back.

On the other hand, Anderson showed good signs of reading the defense today, but he still misses on many short passes because he is just gunning the ball too hard to the receivers.

link

Guest Aloysius

Hubbard looks a little robotic running routes. He's not as smooth as Robiskie or as explosive as Massaquoi. But his physical tools are intriguing: during punt drills yesterday, he raced through for what would've been a blocked punt. So did UDFA Philip Hunt.

Guest Masters
Yes, you can teach a guy to catch a football better. Absolutely. Ask any WR coach.

Are there guys who will never catch the ball consistently enough, no matter how hard they try? Definitely.

Eyes, focus, and hand placement are huge. There are tons of drills and the correction of simple bad habits can be huge. A lot of it is simply repetition, practicing the new techniques over and over.

What you can't do is teach a guy to be 6'2", 225, run a sub 4.4 40, and jump 40". That's some seriously rare shit. It's worth the effort.

Exactly Shep.

A key you hit on is "There are tons of drills and the correction of simple bad habits can be huge. A lot of it is simply repetition, practicing the new techniques over and over." It still isn't fair yet to compare Hubbard to any of the WRs, other than Cribbs, because those guys haven't been doing that for as many years as most other guys.

Guest Aloysius

Barton, Bowens, and Mosley were free agents. One reporter made the mistake during minicamp of asking Barton about "coming over in the trade", and he wasn't happy about it. To many players, getting traded is an insult of sorts; your old team was willing to get rid of you for someone else.

Guest Aloysius

Some more:

Lane's Camp Tidbits

The speculation about Mack not starting is getting hot. And I'm beginning to get excited about these guys;

- An interesting development may be in the offing at the LB position. The youth and explosive first steps of Titus Brown and Marcus Benard are gaining opportunities.

Brown and Benard have gained reps as camp has progressed, with each player displaying qualities to note. For a team looking to create pressure on the QB, the two young LBs are full of athleticism and enthusiasm -- while also gaining pointers from veterans Kamerion Wimbley and David Bowens.

EDIT: I see they've turned this into "insider" content. Damn them.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Written by Daniel Wolf

After yesterday's bad quarterback play, today's article is focusing mostly on the quarterback battle, which is going to make a lot of people happy (or sad).

Before we get to the quarterbacks, there are a few quick things worth mentioning that took place during practice drills.

The most notable was with the special teams. They were practicing their onside kicks and what was strange is that punter Dave Zastudil and kicker Phil Dawson were lined up near the kickoff tee like they were both going to kick the ball.

First Zastudil would run up to the ball, but intentionally miss the ball, and then Dawson would be right there behind him actually kicking the ball in the other direction.

Also, linebacker Alex Hall got to the quarterbacks three times for sacks, Rogers had two, and rookie linebacker David Veikune got another sack today just to name a few.

Rookie running back James Davis had yet another long play of over 25 yards. It seems that every practice, Davis has been able to break a long gain. He caught a short screen pass from backup quarterback Brett Ratliff and took it about 35 yards down the field showing off his speed and elusiveness once again.

Two other players to highlight were tight ends Steve Heiden and Robert Royal who both caught three to four passes each in practice.

During a wide receiver versus defensive back one-on-one drill, cornerback Eric Wright was covering receiver Braylon Edwards, and Wright got the better of Edwards with some really tight coverage and the ball was incomplete.

Immediately, after the play, Wright turned to the crowd and asked, "I don't get any cheers for that?"

The crowd then gave him a round of applause (and a few laughs) for his great coverage against Edwards.

The final mention has to go to the pass rush drill where one pass rusher would line up against an offensive lineman and Shaun Rogers smoked his opposition twice along with C.J. Mosley and Hall beat their guys to get to the quarterback as well.

Now to the good stuff.

There were many different scrimmages today, all of them were a different type of situation.

Next was a six on eight drill that had a quarterback with four receivers and a running back against eight total defensive backs and linebackers. No lineman were used in this scenario.

Anderson... 4 6 33 0 0 0

Note on drill: Remember there was no pressure on the quarterbacks in this drill since even the linebackers were dropping back into coverage.

Then the team went back into the 11-on-11 scrimmage with a focus on short, possession passes.

Note on drill: Quinn and rookie center Alex Mack fumbled a snap and therefore both had to run a lap which gave Anderson some extra reps. Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley showed good pressure on the quarterbacks several times during this drill. Hall sacked both Quinn and Anderson. Also, Josh Cribbs lined up in the backfield with Anderson and took a direct snap which he was looking to pass the ball, but the defense read it perfect and sacked him behind the line of scrimmage.

Next up were more 11-on-11 drills but from inside the offenses own five yard line.

Anderson... 0 2 0 0 0 0

Note on drill: During Anderson's reps the offense called more running plays than during Quinn's reps. Offensive lineman Eric Steinbach, Floyd Womack and Isaac Sowells all had to run laps due to false starts.

Now the offense had to take the ball from the opposing 40 yard line and score with only 11 seconds left on the clock. (Another 11-on-11 drill)

Anderson... 2 4 17 0 0 0

Note on drill: Quinn did have a 10 yard scramble, but Dawson only made one of three field goals that were in the range of 45-52 yards.

Finally, the last 11-on-11 was from the offenses own 20 yard line with 1:48 left on the clock.

Anderson... 3 5 42 0 0 0

Note on drill: Quinn definitely moved the ball better than Anderson on this particular drill, but both quarterbacks could not get a score and they were each sacked once by linebacker David Bowens and Veikune.

Overall, today's quarterback play was much improved over Thursday's, but Quinn is still holding onto the ball for way too long and he really needs to make better (and quicker) decisions on where to throw it. He still isn't taking any chances down the field and would rather settle for a short pass to a tight end or running back.

On the other hand, Anderson showed good signs of reading the defense today, but he still misses on many short passes because he is just gunning the ball too hard to the receivers.

link

From this, it sounds like DA is still outperforming BQ.

Funny last line of the article on DA, "he still misses on many short passes because he is just gunning the ball too hard to the receivers."

Yes, you can teach a guy to catch a football better. Absolutely. Ask any WR coach.

Are there guys who will never catch the ball consistently enough, no matter how hard they try? Definitely.

Eyes, focus, and hand placement are huge. There are tons of drills and the correction of simple bad habits can be huge. A lot of it is simply repetition, practicing the new techniques over and over.

What you can't do is teach a guy to be 6'2", 225, run a sub 4.4 40, and jump 40". That's some seriously rare shit. It's worth the effort.

My comments about not teaching him to catch were mis-worded by me, because I meant his lack of focus and consistency worries me. He came from being quote sloppy and lazy to the pros. Can he learn and get better? Yes. Can he contribute this season on ST's? Maybe.

I just do not have a good feeling about this guy.

Guest Aloysius
Is there any info on Kaluka Maiava. Just curious to see how he is adjusting to the NFL.

He got a sack during one of the scrimmages yesterday. Otherwise, I didn't notice him much, though he did look bigger than I expected - he's got some nice guns.

On the other hand, Bo Ruud (#43) looks tiny.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Written by Daniel Wolf

Now to the good stuff.

Anderson... 4 6 33 0 0 0

Anderson... 0 2 0 0 0 0

Anderson... 2 4 17 0 0 0

Anderson... 3 5 42 0 0 0

link

OK, this thing sure feels like a tie to this point. Let's see what happens in 8 days.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Written by Daniel Wolf

Now to the good stuff.

Anderson... 4 6 33 0 0 0

Anderson... 0 2 0 0 0 0

Anderson... 2 4 17 0 0 0

Anderson... 3 5 42 0 0 0

link

Just out of curiosity Dan, do you have some official press credentials...or do the Browns require such a thing to attend their news conferences? Or can any Yabo present himself to them as a member of the press.

Just out of curiosity Dan, do you have some official press credentials...or do the Browns require such a thing to attend their news conferences? Or can any Yabo present himself to them as a member of the press.

By the way, don't get me wrong. I don't think you are a Yabo. This forum is clearly a legitimate media outlet, and you do a great job. I just wondered if the Browns issued credentials....in order to keep the riffer-raffer out?

I didn't write the article (his name is coincidentally Dan too). I just snagged it off of DawgScooper's site. I'm a gatherer not a creator.

Sounds like things are starting to heat up, more positive than negative....

Like what I'm hearing about MoMass---except--- he caught a 14 yarder on a 3rd and 16----punt... I've seen too much of this with the new Browns, catch a ball for 5 yards when you need 7... Teach those receivers to reach the chains.....

Seems the defense is pretty active... Blitzing from different angles by a multiple of players.... Hope to hell our D is agressive rather than the not playing to lose defense of yesteryear.....

Peace

T.Dawg

Archived