THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets Fan on Mangini

Vegasdogg

The Giants game was a classic trap game. It was the silver bullet.

It wasn't reality. Yet, we continue to think this team has this amazing talent...........even though the roster will be 60% overturned probably by winter.

We stink right now. Accept that fact and hope for a better future.

I don't buy into the whole "trap game" thing, especially at the professional level. These guys are professionals and any given Sunday any team can come out and play there asses off and look like world champs. What the Browns did that Monday night may have been an apparition for the season, but under a good coaching staff, which I feel the one we have now is pretty damn good, I don't see why this team couldn't play like that consistently. And as a side note, your posts are obnoxiously pessimistic. I'd say a good 49 of your 50 posts contribute nothing to the conversation except "This team sucks". Cheer up, you football emo.

So what this idiot would have us believe is that Eric Mangini is going to bench Brett Favre? Love him or hate him, no one is benching Brett. That's part of the package. A package, by the way, that was forced on Mangini.

Considering he played the first two years with Jerome "Can't Play Any Gap" Robertson at NT and Jonathan "Take Myself Out of the Play" Vilma....then yes, I'm impressed with his defense. His coordinator was a moron and he wanted Rob Ryan BEFORE his last season in NY but Al Davis wouldn't let him out of his contract.

Here is the key thing that I LOVE about Mangini: He will never waste time outs and he will, on at least 3-4 plays a game, force the other team into some difficult situation by dictating a formation or a tempo. As a result, the other coach will have to burn a time out or take a penalty. THAT is coaching. If you want proof, look to the New England game in NE last year. Belichick got forced into challenging an obviously correct play and he was one step ahead of Belichick all night long.

Against the Raiders, Brett Favre threw a pick with less than two minutes left. Somehow, Mangini managed the game and got the ball back in time to drive for a tying FG.

He also took his team into Tennessee and dealt them their first loss....by a LOT.

Cheer up Cleveland fans....The Jets fans are a JOKE. If the wind changes direction, they want someone fired.

Neither were the Patriots in 01, but they had good coaching.

I believe the NFL is a coaches league (better coaches win), unlike basketball where it's a player's league (Let's see Phil Jackson coach Oklahoma City and win a championship without Kobe).

I hope Mangini works out for you guys, and the team gels quickly and is on board with his schemes

I agree completely. It's all about the execution and preparing for a game. That's what Romeo could not do well. Well, let's hope that Mangini pans out for us. After all, we can't do no worse than last year unless you are the lions, whom are the exceptions to the rule.

So what this idiot would have us believe is that Eric Mangini is going to bench Brett Favre? Love him or hate him, no one is benching Brett. That's part of the package. A package, by the way, that was forced on Mangini.

Considering he played the first two years with Jerome "Can't Play Any Gap" Robertson at NT and Jonathan "Take Myself Out of the Play" Vilma....then yes, I'm impressed with his defense. His coordinator was a moron and he wanted Rob Ryan BEFORE his last season in NY but Al Davis wouldn't let him out of his contract.

Here is the key thing that I LOVE about Mangini: He will never waste time outs and he will, on at least 3-4 plays a game, force the other team into some difficult situation by dictating a formation or a tempo. As a result, the other coach will have to burn a time out or take a penalty. THAT is coaching. If you want proof, look to the New England game in NE last year. Belichick got forced into challenging an obviously correct play and he was one step ahead of Belichick all night long.

Against the Raiders, Brett Favre threw a pick with less than two minutes left. Somehow, Mangini managed the game and got the ball back in time to drive for a tying FG.

He also took his team into Tennessee and dealt them their first loss....by a LOT.

Cheer up Cleveland fans....The Jets fans are a JOKE. If the wind changes direction, they want someone fired.

I don't think that's fair, what do we as the fans have to do with the Mangini firing?, yet I will concede in NY there's a lot of pressure to succeed.

Don't kid yourself also, there was a lot that Mangini did to hurt the team. The last 5 games of the season, right after we destroyed Tenn, the team never showed up to play. The only game we won of those 5 was by the grace of God (Jauron called a passing play, and we sacked, stripped the ball and ran it back for a TD).

That's coaching as well.

I agree completely. It's all about the execution and preparing for a game. That's what Romeo could not do well. Well, let's hope that Mangini pans out for us. After all, we can't do no worse than last year unless you are the lions, whom are the exceptions to the rule.

Overall, Mangini prepares well, except in the last 5 games last year. I'll put part of the blame on Favre's poor play, but a lot was coaching, play calling, etc. Schottenheimer also had something to do with this.

I don't think that's fair, yet I will concede in NY there's a lot of pressure to succeed.

Don't kid yourself also, there was a lot that Mangini did to hurt the team. The last 5 games of the season, right after we destroyed Tenn, the team never showed up to play. The only game we won of those 5 was by the grace of God (Jauron called a passing play, and we sacked, stripped the ball and ran it back for a TD).

That's coaching as well.

Really? Even when they knew the playoffs were lost in week 17? I saw a team hustling to the end. I know that for a first-hand fact.

True, Mangini wasn't perfect but when your QB is throwing all those picks...there aren't too many teams that can win. How many receivers did he miss in Seattle? I counted four beyond twenty yards.

Really? Even when they knew the playoffs were lost in week 17? I saw a team hustling to the end. I know that for a first-hand fact.

True, Mangini wasn't perfect but when your QB is throwing all those picks...there aren't too many teams that can win. How many receivers did he miss in Seattle? I counted four beyond twenty yards.

The players even said (Rhodes, Thomas Jones that I remember), that the team was flat towards the end. Favre did have something to do with the split in the locker room, as many of the players loved Pennington, but part of the complaints were against the coaching.

I'm not saying Mangini was bad, because I actually liked him as a coach. He prepares well, he really does, unfortunately he plays against Bill Bellichick in our division, who I'm sorry to say for Brown and Jet fans alike, is a better coach than Mangini was (record 2-5 vs BB). Mangini does come across as flat and stoic.

In the New England game in NE, we were up by double digits, were outcoached in the 2nd half, and we won because of Favre. that was the one game that we weren't going to win if we had anyone else.

I remember a poster on JI (moderator actually) saying "I don't EVER want to hear anything bad about Brett Favre again after tonight."

And then stunk the last 5 games.

I don't think that's fair, what do we as the fans have to do with the Mangini firing?, yet I will concede in NY there's a lot of pressure to succeed.

That's coaching as well.

by "we" do you mean "Abe Elam"...who is now [most likely starting for] "us"?

if so, "sweet"!

and don't associate/confuse yourself with the idiot Jet fan in the OP or the other anti-Mangina idiot Jet fans Earl34 was most likely specifically referring to. he has a point, there are some real haters out there. you, on the contrary, seem like a decent 70% Jet/30% Brownie addition here.

I'm not saying Mangini was bad, because I actually liked him as a coach. He prepares well, he really does, unfortunately he plays against Bill Bellichick in our division...

And against that competition, the Jets team rankings in the AFC last year:

Total Yards 7th

Pass Yards 8th

Rush Yards 4th

Scoring 3rd

Touchdowns 2nd

This surprised me a bit. 3rd in scoring and 2nd in touchdowns doesn't seem like a recipe for getting fired. If Farve doesn't collapse in those last 6-7 games, then these numbers would have given him top shelf AFC numbers.

And against that competition, the Jets team rankings in the AFC last year:

Total Yards 7th

Pass Yards 8th

Rush Yards 4th

Scoring 3rd

Touchdowns 2nd

This surprised me a bit. 3rd in scoring and 2nd in touchdowns doesn't seem like a recipe for getting fired. If Farve doesn't collapse in those last 6-7 games, then these numbers would have given him top shelf AFC numbers.

There are still a few things he'll do that'll annoy you, but I think the franchise got a significant upgrade at coach. Mangini's good, hopefully the players think so too.

This guy has no idea what he is talking about.

He is a fan of his team. Thats like us talking about Romeo and Butch Davis. When Davis took us to the playoffs he was the shit. When he didnt he was a bag of shit. Same thing with Mangini over there. And Romeo, well I'll just leave it at that.

Mangini will be great for us. And it is already starting.......

No way Browns are under 6 games.

Pick'em

Opponent Network Kickoff Results

Sunday, September 13 vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS FOX 1:00 PM

Sunday, September 20 @ Denver Broncos CBS 4:15 PM

Sunday, September 27 @ Baltimore Ravens CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 4 vs CINCINNATI BENGALS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 11 @ Buffalo Bills CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 18 @ Pittsburgh Steelers CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 25 vs GREEN BAY PACKERS FOX 1:00 PM

Sunday, November 1 @ Chicago Bears CBS 1:00 PM

Monday, November 16 vs BALTIMORE RAVENS ESPN 8:30 PM

Sunday, November 22 @ Detroit Lions CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, November 29 @ Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, December 6 vs SAN DIEGO CHARGERS CBS 4:05 PM

Thursday, December 10 vs PITTSBURGH STEELERS NFLN 8:20 PM

Sunday, December 20 @ Kansas City Chiefs CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, December 27 vs OAKLAND RAIDERS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, January 3 vs JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CBS 1:00 PM

Pick'em

Opponent Network Kickoff Results

Sunday, September 13 vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS FOX 1:00 PM

Sunday, September 20 @ Denver Broncos CBS 4:15 PM

Sunday, September 27 @ Baltimore Ravens CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 4 vs CINCINNATI BENGALS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 11 @ Buffalo Bills CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 18 @ Pittsburgh Steelers CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 25 vs GREEN BAY PACKERS FOX 1:00 PM

Sunday, November 1 @ Chicago Bears CBS 1:00 PM

Monday, November 16 vs BALTIMORE RAVENS ESPN 8:30 PM

Sunday, November 22 @ Detroit Lions CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, November 29 @ Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, December 6 vs SAN DIEGO CHARGERS CBS 4:05 PM

Thursday, December 10 vs PITTSBURGH STEELERS NFLN 8:20 PM

Sunday, December 20 @ Kansas City Chiefs CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, December 27 vs OAKLAND RAIDERS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, January 3 vs JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CBS 1:00 PM

These are games the Browns should win, IMO. Green Bay & Chicago both are also not stretches.

I specifically didn't touch the 4 games between Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

I think Cleveland is better than the other 7 (Cincy 2x) teams I bolded. I think if you can split between the 4 games (Bal and Pitt), pick up a conference win against San Diego, and probably give back one of the games I highlighted, the Browns can be 10-6 again. It's possible depending on QB play, and if the defense plays like it can under Mangini's schemes.

But, that's why they play the games.

Archived