THE BROWNS BOARD

Loudmouth Smith Released!

listercat

At least we do not have to deal with this idiot; his constant 'What up Boss Man?' during the Browns call in show on STO

-----------------------

Cleveland Browns release defensive lineman Shaun Smith

by By Mary Kay Cabot

Saturday August 08, 2009, 9:56 AM

Browns defensive lineman Shaun Smith, who was heading into his third year with the team, was released Saturday, a source close to the situation said.

No reason was given for his ouster, the source said.

Smith (6-2,, 325) was a versatile lineman who could play end or nosetackle. Smith appeared in 11 games last season with nine starts. He totaled 47 tackles, including 22 solo.

But Smith's on-the-field accomplishments were overshadowed by a run-in with quarterback Brady Quinn in the weight room during which Smith reportedly punched Quinn in the face. Smith's representatives met with the Browns at the NFL Combine in February to determine whether or not the Browns wanted to keep him in light of the incident.

They were told the Browns were prepared to move forward with Smith.

Smith, one of the most vocal player on the team, was signed by the Browns as an unrestricted free agentin March of 2007 after spending two full seasons with the Bengals.

I think it's Great!

I have a reason.

Mangie is not RAC 'n ROLLS and he doesn't find that fat phucker the least bit funny.

So long Boss Man. Thank God, now that STO Show will be watchable again. The geniuses behind that move are not destined for Hollywood fame, i'll tell you that much.

He made some decent coin too. He wasn't much of a player let's be honest. If he was a normal and quiet guy he wouldn't be looked at any different than somebody like Ethan Kelley or Nick Eason.

All im wondering is what took mangini so long to figure out smith is less than mediocre talent with a big negative mouth...

Well, Mangini had him in camp for about a week (in pads) to see if he had any talent (compared to the other D-linemen we have in camp). It's not that long.

He probably knew about his mouth already (I'm sure).

He was a decent lineman, made some plays as a Brown, I sort of liked him... Hope this is an indication that our D line is much improved and we are able to move a somewhat talented player and replace him with a more talented player....

On the field he seemed to give his all and did bring some energy to a very stoic team....

This also could also be an indication that it's gonna be Bradys team and a distraction had to be removed...

Spin it any way you want to....

BTW I held no anamosity towards him because of the incident with Quinn.... If you've ever been in a locker room, that shit happens on occasions... Most of the time it's just a blip but this time because it involved a 1st round pick, it gained quite a bit of momentum....

Thanks for the entertainment and effort that you gave, I wish him good luck but not against my Browns.....

Peace

T.Dawg

He was a decent lineman, made some plays as a Brown, I sort of liked him... Hope this is an indication that our D line is much improved and we are able to move a somewhat talented player and replace him with a more talented player....

On the field he seemed to give his all and did bring some energy to a very stoic team....

This also could also be an indication that it's gonna be Bradys team and a distraction had to be removed...

Spin it any way you want to....

BTW I held no anamosity towards him because of the incident with Quinn.... If you've ever been in a locker room, that shit happens on occasions... Most of the time it's just a blip but this time because it involved a 1st round pick, it gained quite a bit of momentum....

Thanks for the entertainment and effort that you gave, I wish him good luck but not against my Browns.....

Peace

T.Dawg

I agree. I think he gave us some great depth (and I believe at a great price). Hope that means that our D-Line is improved.

We might get a good indication of his value as a player if another team signs him.

It would also depend on which team signs him and how their roster looks at that position.

This might also be another indicator of how strongly the Mangini staff feels about character.

He was prolly found lacking in a combination of talent and character. (IMHO)

The bar seems to be higher than it used to be if you want to stay on the Browns roster.

We might get a good indication of his value as a player if another team signs him.

It would also depend on which team signs him and how their roster looks at that position.

This might also be another indicator of how strongly the Mangini staff feels about character.

The bar seems to be higher than it used to be if you want to stay on the Browns roster.

Im glad that the bar is higher, but we need football players. Who cares if they go to church or whatnot. Belichick is looking to sign Vick and he is not a saint.

Im not saying Smith is a superstar but he adds good depth to our D-LINE. Are we better without him? I think not. Rotate those fatasses often and I think we have a better chance at stopping the run.

Some of you are way overrating Smith as a player cuz he is known from his big mouth. This is classic addition by subtraction and he hasn't been doing shit at camp. We already have depth there and if we get hit then we can go get a younger guy with potential rather than a classic fatmouth with no hunger.

He should have been last year, and I actually give Mangie credit for at least taking a look see before showing him how the door can smack that fat ass.

Kudos to the posters in this thread. A lot of thought provoking comments that carry way beyond Smith. Eric at this point is not to going to cut his nose off. It's seems that what ever he could offer was out weighted (fatso) by his negativity.

Some of you are way overrating Smith as a player cuz he is known from his big mouth. This is classic addition by subtraction and he hasn't been doing shit at camp. We already have depth there and if we get hit then we can go get a younger guy with potential rather than a classic fatmouth with no hunger.

He should have been last year, and I actually give Mangie credit for at least taking a look see before showing him how the door can smack that fat ass.

Well I live in San Diego and dont get to see him on local TV shows so I have no idea about his big mouth like you guys say. But at the end of the day he is a young version of what we want. He is 27 and had 40 tackles (and injured) last year and 70 the year before. Compared to C.J (who) Mosley who had a whopping 18 in 16 games.

Now I know that tackles dont have everything to do with the 3-4 scheme but geez all Smith has to do is fall over and he would eat up a defender or 2.

I think at 27 and his price he was a good rotation player. Not to mention if we get a injury. Good Depth cheap price. JMO......

I have a reason.

Mangie is not RAC 'n ROLLS and he doesn't find that fat phucker the least bit funny.

LOL! I hear ya. The ONLY QB Tons-a-buns ever hit was in the Browns' weight room. I'll miss him about as much as much as my last case of food poisoning.

- Tom F.

And for Lump's sake, I'd like to say that this is yet more evidence that this will be Quinn's team.

Ka-BLAM!

That was addressed in the comments below the article... one poster theorized that Smith was released in part because Quinn's "skeert" of him. I wouldn't make that leap, but if you say Smith was released because of the QB that's a possibility. I think it was more that others at his position are showing up well and Mangini is happy to rid the team of another loudmouth.

Some of you are way overrating Smith as a player cuz he is known from his big mouth. This is classic addition by subtraction and he hasn't been doing shit at camp.

When Savage and RAC finally put thier sum of brain cells together to realize Ted Washington's best football was about 3 years in the rearview mirror - I found Smith to be a pleasant surpirse for a stretch of games in 2007. THEN, for some reason, I never saw the same guy or the same interest in 2008. We don't need roster plaque like that.

SOMETIMES we tend to look at players for what they DID and cling onto that in lieu of the bigger question: "is this guy showing he's ready to play his best football or at a level we'll need him to be at?"

I like seeing we are at a point where we don't need to let 1 more dickhead holding this team hostage. I'm glad we gave him his ID-10T forms.

- Tom F.

When Savage and RAC finally put thier sum of brain cells together to realize Ted Washington's best football was about 3 years in the rearview mirror - I found Smith to be a pleasant surpirse for a stretch of games in 2007. THEN, for some reason, I never saw the same guy or the same interest in 2008. We don't need roster plaque like that.

SOMETIMES we tend to look at players for what they DID and cling onto that in lieu of the bigger question: "is this guy showing he's ready to play his best football or at a level we'll need him to be at?"

I like seeing where at a point where we don't need to let 1 more dickhead holding this team hostage. I'm glad we gave him his ID-10T forms.

- Tom F.

Speaking Teddy Fatgame, I'll take his surly and pissed off approach over the Team Jester that was Goofy Ass. If I'm going to have my choice of two fat guys that can't play, I'll take the one that doesn't think he's Biggie Smalls at a Comedy Show.

PS This has nothing to do with Queen folks, it's strictly about football and character.

You sure he came cheap? I have no idea how to look up salaries, but I think for a bench guy he was a tad overpriced.

I have no idea how to look that up either. But if I remember correctly it was like 4 years 8 million and I think alot of it was on the front end because the Bengals had to match the offer.

I said this guy sucked last year when everybody said his "attitude" brought something our defense needed.

You want attitude then get a real leader, a Dawkins type player. Not a loud math fatfart. Only good thing he ever did for this team was punch Quinn in the face for holding out.

"I like seeing where at a point where we don't need to let 1 more dickhead holding this team hostage."

And how was he holding us hostage? He is a backup that provided decent depth. Its not like is making Shaun Rogers money or C. Williams.

Matter of fact C. Williams is holding this team hostage after that bigtime contract he signed and we gave up a 2nd round for him to be our backup.

PS This has nothing to do with Queen folks, it's strictly about football and character.

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear Queen is "We Are the Champions" while Loverboy can only hold his breath as he watches another 10-6 loss to the tune of "Another One Bites the Dust."

And folks, if you can say Quinn without HEARING win - I'll buy a Dumb Ass jersey and have it written on the upperback so you can autograph it before we toast marshmallows over it.

They re-did the Pythagorean Theorem at Oregon State. A2 + B2 now = ABBA. Loverboy became Derek Anderson's Dancing Queen at their last Homecoming celebration.

- Tom F. (BTW, Have I told you all how special Quinn is? He's really something!)

Cleveland Browns release defensive lineman Shaun Smith

by By Mary Kay Cabot

Saturday August 08, 2009, 9:58 AM

Updated 2:05 p.m.

Browns outspoken defensive lineman Shaun Smith, who clashed with defensive line coach Bryan Cox on Friday, was released Saturday morning, a source told the Plain Dealer.

Browns coach Eric Mangini confirmed the move, which was first reported on cleveland.com. He said he made it to clear a roster spot for another unnamed player.

Mangini said Smith "did a good job when he was here'' despite the fact he had a reputation for being too outspoken during practices and games. Mangini also declined to say whether or not Smith's run-in with quarterback Brady Quinn in December was a factor in the decision. Smith reportedly punched Quinn in the face during a weight-room spat.

But the signs were there during Friday evening's practice that something was amiss with Smith.

While the rest of the linemen were jogging to another field for position drills, Smith walked and lagged far behind.

"Come on, dog, you're walking on me," said the tough-nosed Cox.

Smith half-heartedly joined the others, but seemed reluctant to participate in the drills, which involved two lineman squaring off to practice hand- and footwork. At one point, Cox, noticing that Smith wasn't participating, said, "If you've got a problem, if there's something wrong with your back, you need to go get some treatment.''

Cox motioned a trainer over to check on Smith, but he waved him off and joined the drills. Some of his friends, including Robaire Smith, who was having fun in the drill going up against Shaun Rogers, talked to Smith a little on the side.

Smith told a source that he didn't do anything wrong and has no idea why he was released. In June, a source told the Plain Dealer that defensive coaches had told Smith to "shape up and shut up'' so he was already apparently on thin ice.

A versatile lineman who started 19 of his 26 games with the Browns over the past two seasons, Smith played both defensive end and backup nosetackle behind Rogers.

With Smith gone, second-year lineman Ahtyba Rubin, the Browns' sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Iowa State, will most likely see more action behind Rogers and in the line rotation.

"I really like Rubin,'' said Mangini. "Rubin is just a consistent guy. He comes in, works like crazy, is stout against the run, and has really improved his hand placement. I like all the things I've seen from him.''

Riffer, I'd be interested to hear why you have such distain for Smith.... Seems it might be something personal...

Also, it was a nice thread, sort of a change of pace, until all the Quinn pimping began...

I realize that you and Flugs are on the Quinn bandwagon but how does the release of a Defensive lineman morph into a Quinn festival???????

Just wondering...

Peace

T.Dawg

Well I live in San Diego and dont get to see him on local TV shows so I have no idea about his big mouth like you guys say. But at the end of the day he is a young version of what we want. He is 27 and had 40 tackles (and injured) last year and 70 the year before. Compared to C.J (who) Mosley who had a whopping 18 in 16 games.

Now I know that tackles dont have everything to do with the 3-4 scheme but geez all Smith has to do is fall over and he would eat up a defender or 2.

I think at 27 and his price he was a good rotation player. Not to mention if we get a injury. Good Depth cheap price. JMO......

According to Daryl Ruiter at ESPN 850, apparently there was a verbal confrontation yesterday between Smith and Defensive Line Coach Brian Cox. Something to do with Smith half-assing his way through drills... then being less than receptive to the criticism. Evidently, Mr. Smith was dismissive and disrespectful.

This was described as a "last straw" situation.

-jj

I think Savage really liked his versatility and size, and may have overpaid for him speculating on his growth in the 3-4.

I don't think he took that next step with us, I think he is just a rotational guy, and we seem to have plenty of those that aren't overpaid and don't go after Bryan Cox.

Zombo

--I now have a favorite assistant coach

Archived