Syndric Steptoe Injured

Farang

Increases the odds for Norwood?

Edwards

Furrey

Moss

Robo

Cribbs

That's top 5. Then Patten, Steptoe, Hubbard, Norwood fight for 1 spot? Who am I missing?

All I hear about Norwood is he has great hands and runs good routes, but I wonder about his seperation from man 2 man. Sounds like he can find the zones, but can get pushed way off his route on man.

All I hear about Norwood is he has great hands and runs good routes, but I wonder about his seperation from man 2 man. Sounds like he can find the zones, but can get pushed way off his route on man.

I know they were trying Norwood & Steptoe at Retuning Punts (I think).

I can't help but feeling like saying "who cares?". Steptoe was never exactly a playmaker, to put it nicely.

He never really had a chance to be honest, but he seemed like a poor mans Northcutt. Say what you want, but 'Cutt is still in the league. I am not down on Steptoe just yet.

Edwards

Furrey

Moss

Robo

Cribbs

That's top 5. Then Patten, Steptoe, Hubbard, Norwood fight for 1 spot? Who am I missing?

Patton and Hubbard fighting for the last spot and Mangini loves Patton who is being a great influence on the yung guys. He also is having a nice quite camp. Can't say I've seen him drop a ball or run a lap. That leaves Norwood fighting for a practice squad spot at best.

Steptoe was terrible and that comes from a guy who got a woody over him at first. I hate to lose depth and certainly don't wish the young man ill will, but seriously I was pissed at camp watching him get reps with the first team. Mangie is fair and he's been alternating everybody down to Glue Hands and Leggett with the first team, but Steptoe was an absolute waste of time.

To DD's take on Norwood: I do like that kid cuz he's got game, but I did notice a little trouble with separation. However, Steptoe is still looking for his first separation.

So far we've lost guys that are replaceable, although Carey had potential we'll never know and Hadnot was our 6th man on the line.

ESPN: Agent points to Mangini for WR's injury

Money quote:

>>Agent Jerome Stanley said a last-minute change of plans from walk-through drills, which the players had expected, to a full-speed practice in heavy rain was the root of the injury.

"The coaches should more carefully weigh the risk of injury in practice decisions,'' Stanley said, according to the Plain Dealer. "My understanding is that the team was on the field for a walk-through the day before the scrimmage. The walk-through turned into a full practice in a driving rain."

The newspaper said Steptoe, the Browns seventh-round pick in 2007 who started five of 16 games last season, was carted off clutching his shoulder, though the specifics of how he was injured were unclear.

Saturday's practice consisted of no-contact drills in shorts and jerseys with no pads and no live tackling.

"Obviously, hindsight gives one a different perspective," Stanley said. "But if the practice had stayed a walk-through, Syndric wouldn't be preparing for season-ending surgery right now. The decision produced a bad result for the kid and the team.''<<

On the one hand, I can understand standing up for your player. And he's objectively correct--regardless of the level of contact, Steptoe would have been much less likely to have been injured in a walkthrough. And a rainstorm is probably not the best time to change plans and go with a more involved practice. Still, the drills-rather-than-contact part makes it sound like more of a freak situation than anything.

Dennis

If I were his agent, I would probably do the same thing.

ESPN: Agent points to Mangini for WR's injury

Money quote:

>>Agent Jerome Stanley said a last-minute change of plans from walk-through drills, which the players had expected, to a full-speed practice in heavy rain was the root of the injury.

"The coaches should more carefully weigh the risk of injury in practice decisions,'' Stanley said, according to the Plain Dealer. "My understanding is that the team was on the field for a walk-through the day before the scrimmage. The walk-through turned into a full practice in a driving rain."

The newspaper said Steptoe, the Browns seventh-round pick in 2007 who started five of 16 games last season, was carted off clutching his shoulder, though the specifics of how he was injured were unclear.

Saturday's practice consisted of no-contact drills in shorts and jerseys with no pads and no live tackling.

"Obviously, hindsight gives one a different perspective," Stanley said. "But if the practice had stayed a walk-through, Syndric wouldn't be preparing for season-ending surgery right now. The decision produced a bad result for the kid and the team.''<<

On the one hand, I can understand standing up for your player. And he's objectively correct--regardless of the level of contact, Steptoe would have been much less likely to have been injured in a walkthrough. And a rainstorm is probably not the best time to change plans and go with a more involved practice. Still, the drills-rather-than-contact part makes it sound like more of a freak situation than anything.

Dennis

If I were his agent, I would probably do the same thing.

Seeing how steptoe will no longer be a Browns player, his agent can go cry somewhere else. Of course his agent is pissed.

Mangini speaks (from the PD)

Updated 6:24 p.m.

Browns coach Eric Mangini disagreed Sunday with receiver Syndric Steptoe's agent, who blamed Steptoe's season-ending torn labrum on the team practicing full-speed in a driving rain.

Specifically, agent Jerome Stanley said players thought they were going out for a walk-through, but found themselves practicing full-tilt instead. The practice was conducted in shorts and jerseys with no pads or tackling, but at a regular practice tempo.

"I haven't talked to Syndric Steptoe's agent,'' said Mangini. "I don't know what he said. But I know that the practice we had planned is exactly the practice we executed yesterday and 79 other guys were able to practice effectively.

"Really, the play he was injured on, laying out for the ball, I don't think it had anything to do with the elements.

He really layed out for the ball. It was a great effort play, he just wasn't able to bring t he ball in. In typical Syndric style, he always gives that type of effort. He was trying to go out and get the ball.''

Stanley said, "The coaches should more carefully weigh the risk of injury in practice decisions. My understanding is that the team was on the field for a walk-through the day before the scrimmage. The walk-through turned into a full practice in a driving rain. Obviously, hindsight gives one a different perspective, but if the practice had stayed a walk-through, Syndric wouldn't be preparing for season-ending surgery right now. The decision produced a bad result for the kid and the team.''

Stanley said he will not ask the NFL Players Association to check into the matter.

Guest Aloysius
Source: Browns Saturday practice was supposed to be a walk-through

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2009 11:43 AM ET

In response to Browns coach Eric Mangini's explanation regarding the Saturday practice that resulted in a season-ending injury to receiver Syndric Steptoe, a league source tells us that the session was indeed supposed to be merely a walk-through in preparation for Sunday's intra-squad scrimmage.

Per the source, players weren't taped up, like they would have been if a "normal" practice had been intended.

Though the absence of taping likely has no connection to the shoulder injury Steptoe suffered while laying out to catch a pass, the discrepancy is fueling a sense that things are simply not as they should be within the Browns organization.

This meshes with a recent observation from Peter King of SI.com: "The Browns . . . were the first team I've been around this summer that I just didn't get a good vibe from. The players are still feeling out Eric Mangini, and more than a few think he's working them too hard."

Meanwhile, Steptoe likely won't have to worry about the vibe in Cleveland once he's healthy in 2009. One source said that the public complaint from agent Jerome Stanley regarding Mangini has "ruined the kid's career" with the Browns.

Said yours truly in response, "Maybe Stanley was just trying to get the kid out of Cleveland."

Said the source, "Oh, the kid's gonna be out of Cleveland."

In an unrelated note, the agents for many of the other players on the team could soon be publicly complaining about Mangini.

AKA, "Toach Mangini wohked us too hawd."

Cry about it. This ain't a RAC and Rolls TC anymore, although on his behalf, thats the only one he ever knew. Man up and quit crying. Its not like he could catch before the injury anyway, he was the worst player in camp so far before his injury

Per the source, players weren't taped up, like they would have been if a "normal" practice had been intended.

Though the absence of taping likely has no connection to the shoulder injury Steptoe suffered while laying out to catch a pass, the discrepancy is fueling a sense that things are simply not as they should be within the Browns organization.

That is a good point I have to admit. If guys are not ready for more than a walk through because they didn't prepare for more, that is not real smart to run them around untaped. This isn't the US Army Special Forces where guys have to always be ready to fight. What was the reason they switched from a walk-through in the rain, if that in fact happened? That would be the question I would want answered.

Guest Aloysius

Me too. It's not a big issue, but it helps explain why Peter King was getting bad vibes from a couple players on Sunday.

And because of his agent's comments, Steptoe's been waived:

BROWNS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

The Cleveland Browns today signed free agent wide receiver Edward Williams, the club announced. In addition, the team waived/injured wide receiver Syndric Steptoe.

Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Washington Redskins on April 28, 2008, Williams was released on April 29 and subsequently spent time on the Baltimore Ravens’ practice squad during the 2008 season. He was released by Baltimore on July 22, 2009.

During his career at Lane College, Williams started 24 of 26 games and recorded 110 receptions for 1,608 yards with 13 touchdowns. Born on November 24, 1982, the 6-4, 210-pound Williams prepped at Robert E. Lee (Montgomery, Ala.) High School.

SO I'n begining to think Manginin and company don't think as much of our WR core as we do..we have a thread trying to figure out which of the guys we like they are going to keep...and then bring in another unknown....

strictly camp body. This is for the best, Step was taking away reps from the rest cuz Mangie was giving him respect.

On another note, Steptoe should fire his idiot agent and the agent should never again get another client. What a moron.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, Williams will be fighting an uphill battle just to make it onto the p-squad. But he could have some upside.

From an article ranking '08 small school draft prospects:

22. Edward Williams, Lane College, 6-4, 206, Wide Receiver

Williams brings NFL size to the table and has just enough speed (4.5 range) to be a real sleeper at the next level. He is disciplined, physical and has turned heads with his precise route-running ability. Williams isn't afraid to catch passes over the middle, but needs to develop more consistency.

He reportedly did well at Texas vs. the Nation:

Texas vs. The Nation - Nation Wednesday Practice: His size makes him stand out on the field, but he is not awkward coming out of his stance and can move his feet and stop quickly to get in and out of cuts. His coach even pointed out one of his routes to the other receivers: "that's how to run a route!" They ran WR screens to him multiple times because of that size and his ability to accelerate in the open field. Long strides make him a legitimate deep threat, as well.

AKA, "Toach Mangini wohked us too hawd."

Cry about it. This ain't a RAC and Rolls TC anymore, although on his behalf, thats the only one he ever knew. Man up and quit crying. Its not like he could catch before the injury anyway, he was the worst player in camp so far before his injury

Exactly- this ain't Camp Rollover Romeo. If Steptoe was going to develop into something special we'd have seen it long ago. Like another 7th round pick Marquis Colston.

There is a point of pushing players too hard- Coughlin eventually got himself canned in Jacksonville because of it. But Mangini hasn't developed a drill sergeant rep- at least not yet. One thing's already apparent though- he's not going to put up with any BS from guys that want to play for the Browns.

Archived