THE BROWNS BOARD

The Young and the Clueless

NW Ohio Brownie

Wow, did VY look bad in his first series.

Threw behind his first intended receiver on an easy pitch and catch. Then on his second throw, he just threw one up to a Buffalo DB who simply had to wait for it to come down.

Not a good start for the self-proclaimed future HOF'er.

By the way, I found out where all that weight lost by LenDale White went. It's all on Alge Crumpler now. Holy crap is Crumpler huge. When he caught his first pass, I thought Tennessee had run a tackle eligible play. He's Ted Washington huge.

Guest Aloysius

Continuing on that theme, Eric Wood looked clueless in pass pro against Jason Jones. But he did maul undersized DT Jovan Haye on back to back run plays.

Titans have Vince Young run the ball on 3rd and 7. Shows how much confidence they have in his passing ability.

He is becoming a shell of his college self quicker than a Josh Cribbs kick return. I almost feel sorry for him, kind of like I felt watching Couch's horrific preseason performance in Green Bay. Hard to watch.

Guest Aloysius

Boy, Kevin Vickerson (#96 for the Titans) looks good. He's got prototypical 3-4 DE size (6'5", 305 lbs.) and is a free agent after this season.

We should have Flugels keep an eye on this guy.

Man, Chris Henry (#42) sucks. He sucked in college too...but he had great workouts before the draft & got picked in the 2nd round.

Chris Henry should never have been given the starting job at Arizona, but they had no running game back then.

Guest Aloysius
That said, when do we get an athletic QB with wheels who can actually make it work in the NFL? Gator Virgin? Aaron Corp?

Could be this guy:

He gets compared to Vick because of his athleticism, but he's closer to the NFL norm when it comes to size (6'3") and touch on his throws. Still very raw, but I think he'll turn out to be better than Terrelle Pryor.

Pryor is going to be a stud, and not just running the ball. Popular theory is he can't throw, but that was last year when he was trying to not make mistakes and overthrow like Troy Smith used to when he was young. He was zinging it around damn good in the spring game, and it was windy.

Expect him to be unleashed and if I'm wrong I'll come clean. Bottom line is he doesn't have to be Marino, the guy just made fastest guy on the team and he is 6'6 and ripped.

He is a possible Heisman darkhorse, but OSU will need to beat USC and win the Big Ten. Two very big ifs for sure.

Guest Aloysius
WHOA!!! Corp thought it was just a minor tweak!

The LA Times articles have been all about Barkley's bazooka arm and how Corp was going to have to be amazing to keep him on the bench. He's one of those kids who graduated high school early to be in spring practice.

And with a 3.9 GPA, according to Rivals. If he can get the job, he'll be in a pretty good position to shine: I think that Ohio State game is eminently winnable.

On the footage... what a freaking filthy move that was! And he does have a pretty compact delivery, throws a nice ball. What's his name?

Robert Griffin. I'm not sure about the TV schedule, but you'll likely be able to catch the Oklahoma (10/10) and Texas (11/14) games. He's really fun to watch.

Pryor was HORRIBLE in the bowl game. Worst mechanics imaginable. He mostly threw with his feet parallel, like he was tossing darts. Blech. I was so disappointed. My brother-in-law blew so much shit my way I though Terrelle was my godchild.

Shep, you as much as anybody know how QB's can improve with some real coaching. This kid got thrown into the fire last year and was told not to screw nothing up. The links are on the college board that I put up of the spring game, tell me he wasn't whipping it around.

I'm going to come across as OSU fanboy obviously, but the kid showed flashes last year too. The kid was straight off the BB court, got hardly any work in with the coaches since Boeckman was the guy and then was told to go out there and win games. He did lead the Big Ten in passing efficiency last year BTW, granted for not a lot of yards a game but that's what he was asked to do.

IMO guys have put too much stock into some of his loft balls. It doesn't mean he can't throw it harder, it means he was making sure the ball got there. Troy Smith came in with a cannon and threw the ball harder than DA on anything less then 20 yards. It wasn't until he came to grips and quit trying to be a thrower and became a passer. I'm not intimating Pryor is on the level of Smith with arm, but the fact that he showed more composure out the gate says a lot in my book.

I think he's going to open some eyes this year. Sorry to hijack the thread with Buckeye stuff Alo, just had to get it out there.

Guest Aloysius

No problem. I don't have a strong opinion either way on Pryor. Should be interesting to see if he can up his game.

Kind of interested in some of the Buckeyes on D. Cameron Heyward and Thad Gibson are underclassmen, but both project well to a 3-4 (Heyward at DE, Gibson at OLB). I'll be watching them closely this year.

Guest Aloysius
Chris Henry should never have been given the starting job at Arizona, but they had no running game back then.

The funny thing is that Cris Collinsworth said he loved what he saw of Henry at Arizona. The guy had maybe two, three good games in college?

• 2 weeks later...
The funny thing is that Cris Collinsworth said he loved what he saw of Henry at Arizona. The guy had maybe two, three good games in college?

He had a great game against Oregon and was a combine freak. All of the coaches down here wanted him to move to LB, but he resisted the change and since they were low on RB's they allowed him to stay there.

He could have been a pretty damn good LB too at the collegiate level, he was just a little delusional and thoguht he could be a great RB.

Guest Aloysius
I've heard that Corp may consider transferring if he can't get his job back.

Lane Kiffin recruited him to SC. I'm sure he'd be willing to commit another violation or two to get him in Knoxville.

How soon would he have to transfer to be able to play in 2010?

Lane Kiffin recruited him to SC. I'm sure he'd be willing to commit another violation or two to get him in Knoxville.

How soon would he have to transfer to be able to play in 2010?

The NCAA rule is that a transfer from a four-year school to another four-year school is required to sit out a full academic year unless they qualify for an exception. Conferences and individual schools can have their own more restrictive transfer rules--like the WCHA has--and it gets more complicated if a NLI was signed.

Essentially, Corp would have to sit out a full academic year. I believe that if he transfers now, he can play next year, but I am not 100% sure because the school year has started. However, if he waits until the end of the season, he won't be able to play until 2011.

Guest Aloysius
Corp staying

Carroll's decision to start freshman Matt Barkley at quarterback, and the prospect of Barkley's holding the position for the next three years, will not cause Aaron Corp to transfer.

"I'm staying," Corp said. "No question. I'm staying."

Corp, a third-year sophomore, was No. 1 on the depth chart before he suffered a broken left fibula. He said he remained comfortable at USC and would continue to compete for playing time.

"Historically, guys who transferred, I think Troy Aikman is like the only guy that it's worked out for," Corp said.

Aikman transferred from Oklahoma to UCLA and was the top pick in the 1989 NFL draft.

Well, it seemed to work out okay for Joe Flacco. And I'm sure Jevan Snead's happy he isn't still sitting behind Colt McCoy.

Archived