THE BROWNS BOARD

Palin says Obama's health care plan is "evil"

calfoxwc

Orwellian maybe?

Palin says Obama's health care plan is 'evil'

Aug 8, 4:33 AM (ET)

By MARK THIESSEN

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin called President Barack Obama's health plan "downright evil" Friday in her first online comments since leaving office, saying in a Facebook posting that he would create a "death panel" that would deny care to the neediest Americans

"The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care," the former Republican vice presidential candidate wrote.

"Such a system is downright evil," Palin wrote on her page, which has nearly 700,000 supporters. She encouraged her supporters to be engaged in the debate

The claim that the Democratic health care bills would encourage euthanasia has been circulating on the Internet for weeks and has been echoed by some Republican leaders. Democrats from Obama on down have dismissed it as a distortion. The nonpartisan group FactCheck.org, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania says the claim is false

The allegation appears to be based on a provision of the House bill that would require Medicare to pay for end-of-life counseling sessions, on a voluntary basis, for beneficiaries who want the service. Medicare already covers hospice care. And legislation passed by Congress in 1990 requires that patients be asked if they have a living will.

Obama addressed the controversy during a July 28 AARP-sponsored town hall.

"Nobody is going to be forcing you to make a set of decisions on end-of-life care based on some bureaucratic law in Washington," he said.

An e-mail sent to Palin's spokeswoman to confirm authorship of the Facebook posting was not immediately returned Friday. There was no immediate reply to phone messages left late Friday with the White House and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office seeking comment on Palin's remarks.

Republican criticism has also included claims that the reform plans will lead to rationing, or the government determining which medical procedures a patient can have.

However, millions of Americans already face rationing, as insurance companies rule on procedures they will cover. Denying coverage for certain procedures might increase under proposals to have a government-appointed agency identify medicines and procedures best suited for various conditions.

Palin resigned as Alaska governor on July 26 with nearly 18 months left in her term. She cited not only the numerous ethics complaints that had been filed against her also her wish not to be a lame duck after the first-term governor decided not to seek re-election next year.

Palin, popular with conservatives in the Republican party, has said she wants to build a right-of-center coalition, and there is speculation she will seek the presidency in 2012. In the two weeks since she resigned, Palin has made only one public appearance, giving a Second Amendment rights speech last Saturday before a gun owners group in Anchorage.

Palin or her aides post notes on her Facebook account about once or twice a week, usually to set out policy statements, issue news releases or refute rumors circulating on the Internet.

Palin also has been largely silent before Friday's Facebook post. She was a voracious user of the social networking site Twitter, and promised to keep her supporters updated with a new private account after she left office. But that hasn't happened, leaving some of her fans begging for updates in the past two weeks.

---

Associated Press writer Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar in Washington contributed to this report.

Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of Brits desperately needing pain meds, will be denied them because of cost.

And, I believe it was a 22 yr old Brit who recently died, because gov med insurance refused him a liver

transplant, because he couldn't prove he would never drink again.

Meanwhile, libs like to show the ratings of health systems where our country rates very poorly.

The ratings are bogus - most of those countries do NOT report infant deaths at all, much less

negative numbers that make them look bad.

Our country does. And so the lib propaganda goes.

Instead of reading the word Palin and getting all worked up into a frenzy, maybe the libs on the board should take a look at what she is pointing out and how this will effect everyone in America, regardless of what their personal political belief is.

Its a shame that Rahm, Hillary & Obamduh' want to see old people die off so they can have more money to spend out of the general fund by not allowing those over 60 years old to get the medical attention that they need.

read it here "Obamduh's Death Panel"

What kind of people have a callous disregard for human life?

The "health care" bill, as it stands now, will allow for unlimited federal funding for

abortion, which apparently includes the ppa, etc.

And, as in other countries, a gov health care for everyone? impossible.

What big nation can afford it? Of course it will be bureaucratic red tape

cutting of medical services and supplies - like in Brittain.

And plenty of horror stories in Canada. And in France? their hc system

is broke, big time.

Even Obama admits about 20 million folks still won't have health care after about

that many? lose their hc, too.

Whatever the actual predicted numbers are, it would seem obvious that the new system

will just cause a new, different and traumatic set of problems.

So, why continue to insist that the gov hc program must be passed?

Why, indeed.

Cap and Tax won't even pay for this gov hc boondoggle.

I can only guess Cap and Tax, and gov hc, is just the mechanics of

control of the American population.

Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of Brits desperately needing pain meds, will be denied them because of cost.

And, I believe it was a 22 yr old Brit who recently died, because gov med insurance refused him a liver

transplant, because he couldn't prove he would never drink again.

Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of Americans desperately needing pain meds will be denied them due to lack of health insurance.

And, I believe it was *tens of thousands of Americans every year* who die because the lack of insurance means they never even had a shot at the care they need.

The answer isn't the status quo. The answer is finding the best possible way to provide health care to everyone. No Americans really think the current system works for everyone. They just think it works for *them* and don't give a poo about the people it's not working for.

thousands and thousands are being denied desperatly needed pain pills...

in Brittain.

PS - Brittain has gov health insurance.

Get a grip.

It is not a solution that makes everything right.

It's a solution that makes things WRONG for all the bijillions of Americans

who HAVE FREAKIN GREAT HEALTH INSURANCE.

For the record, cal, you brought her up, not me.

Wink wink! mz the pussy

Very mature.

mz the pussy translation:

"I know you are, but what am I"

Yeah sorry I didn't rise to the intellectual depth :o of the shit I responded to.

Here 'tis:

"God, could this woman be any more of an idiot?"

WSS

Shep didn't call YOU an idiot, so I wasn't sure why you responded as such.

Sarah Palin: Concerning the "Death Panels

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/1661/6...8773587_223.jpg[/img][/url][/color]

Concerning the "Death Panels" Yesterday at 8:55pmYesterday President Obama responded to my statement that Democratic health care proposals would lead to rationed care; that the sick, the elderly, and the disabled would suffer the most under such rationing; and that under such a system these “unproductive” members of society could face the prospect of government bureaucrats determining whether they deserve health care.

The President made light of these concerns. He said:

“Let me just be specific about some things that I’ve been hearing lately that we just need to dispose of here. The rumor that’s been circulating a lot lately is this idea that somehow the House of Representatives voted for death panels that will basically pull the plug on grandma because we’ve decided that we don’t, it’s too expensive to let her live anymore....It turns out that I guess this arose out of a provision in one of the House bills that allowed Medicare to reimburse people for consultations about end-of-life care, setting up living wills, the availability of hospice, etc. So the intention of the members of Congress was to give people more information so that they could handle issues of end-of-life care when they’re ready on their own terms. It wasn’t forcing anybody to do anything.” [1]

The provision that President Obama refers to is Section 1233 of HR 3200, entitled “Advance Care Planning Consultation.” [2] With all due respect, it’s misleading for the President to describe this section as an entirely voluntary provision that simply increases the information offered to Medicare recipients. The issue is the context in which that information is provided and the coercive effect these consultations will have in that context.

Section 1233 authorizes advanced care planning consultations for senior citizens on Medicare every five years, and more often “if there is a significant change in the health condition of the individual ... or upon admission to a skilled nursing facility, a long-term care facility... or a hospice program." [3] During those consultations, practitioners must explain “the continuum of end-of-life services and supports available, including palliative care and hospice,” and the government benefits available to pay for such services. [4]

Now put this in context. These consultations are authorized whenever a Medicare recipient’s health changes significantly or when they enter a nursing home, and they are part of a bill whose stated purpose is “to reduce the growth in health care spending.” [5] Is it any wonder that senior citizens might view such consultations as attempts to convince them to help reduce health care costs by accepting minimal end-of-life care? As Charles Lane notes in the Washington Post, Section 1233 “addresses compassionate goals in disconcerting proximity to fiscal ones.... If it’s all about obviating suffering, emotional or physical, what’s it doing in a measure to “bend the curve” on health-care costs?” [6]

As Lane also points out:

Though not mandatory, as some on the right have claimed, the consultations envisioned in Section 1233 aren’t quite “purely voluntary,” as Rep. Sander M. Levin (D-Mich.) asserts. To me, “purely voluntary” means “not unless the patient requests one.” Section 1233, however, lets doctors initiate the chat and gives them an incentive -- money -- to do so. Indeed, that’s an incentive to insist.

Patients may refuse without penalty, but many will bow to white-coated authority. Once they’re in the meeting, the bill does permit “formulation” of a plug-pulling order right then and there. So when Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) denies that Section 1233 would “place senior citizens in situations where they feel pressured to sign end-of-life directives that they would not otherwise sign,” I don’t think he’s being realistic. [7]

Even columnist Eugene Robinson, a self-described “true believer” who “will almost certainly support” “whatever reform package finally emerges”, agrees that “If the government says it has to control health-care costs and then offers to pay doctors to give advice about hospice care, citizens are not delusional to conclude that the goal is to reduce end-of-life spending.” [8]

So are these usually friendly pundits wrong? Is this all just a “rumor” to be “disposed of”, as President Obama says? Not according to Democratic New York State Senator Ruben Diaz, Chairman of the New York State Senate Aging Committee, who writes:

Section 1233 of House Resolution 3200 puts our senior citizens on a slippery slope and may diminish respect for the inherent dignity of each of their lives.... It is egregious to consider that any senior citizen ... should be placed in a situation where he or she would feel pressured to save the government money by dying a little sooner than he or she otherwise would, be required to be counseled about the supposed benefits of killing oneself, or be encouraged to sign any end of life directives that they would not otherwise sign. [9]

Of course, it’s not just this one provision that presents a problem. My original comments concerned statements made by Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, a health policy advisor to President Obama and the brother of the President’s chief of staff. Dr. Emanuel has written that some medical services should not be guaranteed to those “who are irreversibly prevented from being or becoming participating citizens....An obvious example is not guaranteeing health services to patients with dementia.” [10] Dr. Emanuel has also advocated basing medical decisions on a system which “produces a priority curve on which individuals aged between roughly 15 and 40 years get the most chance, whereas the youngest and oldest people get chances that are attenuated.” [11]

President Obama can try to gloss over the effects of government authorized end-of-life consultations, but the views of one of his top health care advisors are clear enough. It’s all just more evidence that the Democratic legislative proposals will lead to health care rationing, and more evidence that the top-down plans of government bureaucrats will never result in real health care reform.

[1] See http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/08/president-obama-addresses-sarah-palin-death-panels-wild-representations.html.

[2] See http://edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf...Text-071409.pdf

[3] See HR 3200 sec. 1233 (hhh)(1); Sec. 1233 (hhh)(3)(B)(1), above.

[4] See HR 3200 sec. 1233 (hhh)(1)(E), above.

[5] See http://edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf...Text-071409.pdf

[6] See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9080703043.html].

[7] Id.

[8] See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9081002455.html].

[9] See http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/lett...on-1233-hr-3200.

[10] See http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/Where_Civic_Repub...ocracy_Meet.pdf

[11] See http://www.scribd.com/doc/18280675/Princip...l-Interventions.

Cal, for a guy who complains constantly about my invoking of this tard's name, you really need to stop reading Palin's crap/misinformation/shit she clearly doesn't even understand.

Thursday Aug. 13, 2009 13:14 EDT

Palin and Grassley, dumb and dumber

Editor's note: Glenn Greenwald is on vacation this week. Darren Hutchinson of Dissenting Justice is guest-blogging today.

Sarah Palin and Senator Chuck Grassley are working together to spread lies regarding the substance of pending healthcare reform legislation. Last week, Sarah Palin posted a note on Facebook, which states that:

The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's "death panel" so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their "level of productivity in society," whether they are worthy of healthcare. Such a system is downright evil.

Not to be outmatched by his conservative colleague, Senator Grassley stated yesterday that people "hould not have a government run plan to decide when to pull the plug on grandma. . . ."

Palin and Grassley are liars

It is difficult to use polite prose when two individuals are intentionally making false statements. As many commentators have already observed, conservatives like Palin and Grassley are attempting to foment fears concerning a fairly innocuous and medically sound provision in the proposed healthcare reform legislation that would compensate medical providers for offering "end-of-life" counseling to individuals. During the counseling sessions, the caregivers would provide information to patients related to: advanced directives, healthcare proxies, state and national resources that assist patients and families regarding end-of-life issues, palliative care, and care in a hospice setting (see sect. 1233 of the proposed healthcare legislation).

Despite the plain language of the proposed statute, Palin and Grassley continue to float their death narratives. As Politico reports, Palin remains defiant and has released another statement (in response to criticism by President Obama) which asserts that: t's misleading for the president to describe this section as an entirely voluntary provision that simply increases the information offered to Medicare recipients. . . ." Of course, Palin's new statement fails to point to any specific language in the bill that would make such counseling mandatory. Furthermore, Grassley made his "pull the plug on grandma" statement after many commentators had already debunked Palin's death panel claim. Facts mean nothing in a smear campaign.

Medical professionals endorse end-of-life counseling

One of the worst aspects of the conservative effort to stoke fear regarding the end-of-life provision is that medical professionals strongly advise that this type of counseling take place. The American Medical Association, for example, has issued an official policy statement (E.225) that addresses the inadequate nature of end-of-life counseling:

More rigorous efforts in advance care planning are required in order to tailor end-of-life care to the preferences of patients so that they can experience a satisfactory last chapter in their lives. There is need for better availability and tracking of advance directives, and more uniform adoption of form documents that can be honored in all states of the United States.

That AMA has issued several recommendations, based on its own assessment of the "discouraging evidence of inadequate end-of-life decision-making." One formal recommendation states that: "Physicians should discuss the patient's preferences with the patient and the patient's proxy. These discussions should be held ahead of time wherever possible" (italics mine). The proposed legislation basically enacts this measure by compensating caregivers who hold such counseling sessions every five years for their senior patients.

Palin and Grassley are shameless hypocrites

The worst aspect of Palin and Grassley's deception regarding death is their utterly shameless hypocrisy. They, like a growing number of conservatives, portray the proposed healthcare reform legislation as symbolizing the horrors of a "big government" invading individual liberty and privacy. They also suggest that it is particularly egregious for a government to decide who can live or die. If Palin and Grassley applied these principles consistently, they would not have an audience among social conservatives.

Palin and Grassley are both staunchly anti-abortion. Grassley earned a perfect 100 score from the National Right to Life Coalition. Apparently, he has never voted against an abortion restriction. Palin does not support abortion at all – including in cases of rape or incest – unless the mother's life is at risk. This position places among the most conservative pro-lifers.

Although Palin and Grassley express disgust over the idea of the government compensating doctors who counsel patients on end-of-life issues, they believe that it is appropriate for the government to deny doctors and patients any autonomy on the question of choice. Palin and Grassley would invite the government into the lives of women and doctors without their consent, but they would deny a role for the government to facilitate care that a doctor and patient view as medically necessary and beneficial.

Grassley's hypocrisy on this issue is even greater than Palin's. Today, Grassley condemns an imaginary scenario involving the government deciding when to pull the plug on grandma. In the recent past, however, when Grassley encountered a real-life version of this story, he made a decision that contradicts his current rhetoric.

In 2005, Grassley supported legislation that injected Congress into the Terri Schiavo saga. Schiavo's husband – and medical proxy under Florida law -- waged an almost 10-year legal battle to refuse life-sustaining medical treatment on behalf of his wife, who was in a persistent vegetative state. After a federal judge ordered the removal of food and hydration, Congress intervened and passed a law that was blatantly crafted to nullify the Florida litigation and to keep Schiavo alive against the wishes of her husband, who acted on her behalf.

Although the Senate passed the statute by unanimous consent, Grassley revealed his position and expressed his support for the measure, stating that: "I support the effort to protect Terri Schiavo. It's the first case of its kind, a chance to choose life over death. I gave the option to life. . . ." Grassley, however, did not vote for life over death. Instead, he voted to authorize direct federal involvement in an end-of-life medical decision – something he currently claims to abhor.

And to finish icing this cake, Palin and Grassley both support the death penalty. Capital punishment indisputably involves the government determining whether someone will live or die.

"Dumb" works

Apparently, "dumb" works. According to the latest Gallup poll, the conservative backlash to healthcare reform has eroded support among voters – particularly independents. If members of the corporate media (as Glenn Greenwald affectionately describes the "news" outlets) did their job and uncovered the deception and hypocrisy associated with this backlash, then this movement's rhetoric would actually face greater scrutiny and would perhaps lose some of its effectiveness. The White House also fell asleep at the wheel, as this movement continued to mobilize and to work the media. Furthermore, I suspect that many of Obama's Web-warriors are enjoying the final weeks of summer break and have not sufficiently organized on this issue.

Public opinion, however, is extremely malleable. If progressives redouble their efforts, a pretty solid reform package might actually get through Congress without damaging (and even possibly helping) the Democrats. Stay tuned.

-- Darren Hutchinson

That sure sounds like murder to me, cal.

via here.

About Darren Hutchinson,

A man who stood up to those who were hypocrites in his own party.

And now these are the words from the same Liberal professor, may I remind you, who also is the one and probably only Liberal who called out his own Liberal buddies on their attacks of Sarah Palin during the 2008 election.

Articlle here. Is Liberal Sexism Against Palin OK? No!

So why does he go on to attack Palin now? What a FlipFlop.

He goes on to attack Palin because he (correctly) believes she's acting foolishly/recklessly.

Mr. T is Brilliant

What do you think about what the piece says, T?

If liberals truly believe in an unbiased and egalitarian society, then they should take the lead and demonstrate those ideals in their own lives. Until they do this, I will remain cynical regarding the prospect of progressive change if and when the Democrats sweep into national power.

- Darren Hutchinson

Its not a bad article, but I would say his recent flipflop on Palin is do to the fact that his party is loosing control and may end up loosing big during the midterms. In his eyes he is attacking the weakest link, and with saying that just maybe he is a sexist also.

But I will give him credit where it is due.

RASMUSSEN POLL: Obama Approval Rating Falls to New Low: 47 %... Disapproved article

In this poll Specter is getting his ass kicked! :lol:

What you call flip-flopping, I call calling bullshit when you see bullshit happening. He was never on Palin's side to begin with. He wasn't ever "supporting" Palin, he was just questioning the tactics being used to discredit her.

mz the pussy calls bullshit?'

How rude.

kypops on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:53 pm

my bull is 17mo old and the last 2 days his poo is very lose. when he go its all one stream . I have 2 heifers also.they are fine..

But do i give him Kopectate .or wait for a while to see if it gets thicker.is there any thing else i need to give him? dont for get i am new at this cow

stuff,but enjoy it.

thanks for any and all the help i have got off of this board.thanks again to all you farmers out there to help us new one.kypops Beginner

rank_stars_1.gifPosts: 11 Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Bull POOP

by tom4018 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:05 pm

As much rain as we have had in our part of Ky a lot of our cows look as if they have been on lush spring grass. Which our grass has stayed pretty lush this season. Is there much clover in the pasture? Might be nothing as I got a few that if the grass is lush they are pretty thin. Does he seem normal other wise?

tom4018 GURU

rank_stars_1guru.gifPosts: 1201 Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:46 am Location: Kentucky http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic...t&sd=a#wrap

by shloh1981 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 am

I've had the same problem off and on with my black Angus bull, he is now 3 years old and for much of his life he has been the same way, one stream of very loose manure. We got him when he was weaned and he always looked a little rough, longer hair and grew up rather than out, but last year I wormed him with Ivermectin pour-on and he really filled out and lost the longer hair but he still goes in a stream straight out the back end most of the time. Looks good and his calves are the best we've ever had. I've heard that bulls are more sensitive than cows and I've seen my share of rodeo bulls that have the "guacamole but" as the rodeo announcers call it. Anybody else have bulls that are this way?shloh1981 Beginner

rank_stars_1.gifPosts: 4 Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:24 pm

by S&WSigma40VEShooter on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:18 am

shloh1981 wrote:I've had the same problem off and on with my black Angus bull, he is now 3 years old and for much of his life he has been the same way, one stream of very loose manure. We got him when he was weaned and he always looked a little rough, longer hair and grew up rather than out, but last year I wormed him with Ivermectin pour-on and he really filled out and lost the longer hair but he still goes in a stream straight out the back end most of the time. Looks good and his calves are the best we've ever had. I've heard that bulls are more sensitive than cows and I've seen my share of rodeo bulls that have the "guacamole but" as the rodeo announcers call it. Anybody else have bulls that are this way?

Have him tested for johnes a simple fecal sample and blood test can determine this. He is getting close to the age to really start showing symptoms.S&WSigma40VEShooter Cowhand

rank_stars_2.gifPosts: 55 Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

by mnmtranching on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 am

If otherwise he acts normal, I would not worry.Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

mnmtranching GURU

rank_stars_4guru.gifPosts: 4888 Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:55 am Location: MN http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic...t&sd=a#wrap

by msscamp on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:49 pm

kypops wrote:my bull is 17mo old and the last 2 days his poo is very lose. when he go its all one stream . I have 2 heifers also.they are fine..

But do i give him Kopectate .or wait for a while to see if it gets thicker.is there any thing else i need to give him?

Diarrhea can be an indication of Johns Disease(although, at his age I doubt it. It usually doesn't show up until 3 years of age), it can be an indication of acidosis, it can be an indication of illness, or it can be an indication of simply too much protein in his diet. What are you feeding him, how much, and how often? If pasture, what kind? If hay, have you had it tested so you know the protein and TDN content and can cut it with grass hay if neccessary?

Archived