THE BROWNS BOARD

People who always have excuses annoy me.

TheBestPlayersPlay

First off, you'll need to talk to the team, the doctor and BQ about WHY the surgery was done. You're making a big deal about a broken bone in the throwing hand... guess what, broken bones in the hands are very, very common... amongst children. Happens all the time. They usually live with it. We have know idea what kind of break it was, if it was something they'd send everyone in for surgery if they had it, or if they decided it was time for Brady to sit and might as well have the surgery to prevent a re-break come spring training. Unless I missed the quote along the lines that BQ's hand was desperately in need of surgery, we really don't know if it was a break that generally would have been surgically treated.

Dude, the guy has to throw an odd-shaped ball with the highest level of accuracy required of just about any sport, while moving, and has to put pressure and touch on the ball. I don't give a flying rat's c0ck if children break their fingers and "live with it", they also don't have to play quarterback on the highest level on earth for a living.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
I'll remind my 3 year old next time he gets a boo boo that it's not excuse for the fact he still can't hit me accurately on the 15 yard out......

Really??? WTH were you trying to say in this post????

I am jealous that I did not think of that response. Damn not having kids.

Really??? WTH were you trying to say in this post????

It didn't come across right, but what I was attempting to say is that we don't know how much the break effected his throwing. He'd been cleared by his doctors, his coaches, and himself, to keep playing on it initially. I do think Lums tends to overplay the "excuse" portion of his argument when it comes to Quinn's finger. We just don't know how much it affected his game.

yeah reportedly Quinn's boo boo was basically a dull persistent soreness and Anderson's dislocation probably hurt like a mother effer.

Has there ever been better proof that we just need to stop acknowledging this person/puppet/bot?

Guest Masters
It didn't come across right, but what I was attempting to say is that we don't know how much the break effected his throwing. He'd been cleared by his doctors, his coaches, and himself, to keep playing on it initially. I do think Lums tends to overplay the "excuse" portion of his argument when it comes to Quinn's finger. We just don't know how much it affected his game.

They also told him it could get worse with contact. Obviously it became an issue if he was shut down and sent to surgery. Teams don't do that over little issues. Not during a season.

Details are in the article I put a link up for.

We just don't know how much it affected his game.

It was the index finger on his throwing hand, you know the finger you predominately use when throwing an accurate ball, the same one Dr Andrews said was close to causing permanent nerve damage. Yeah, that's the same as blaming the headset for throwing a ball right to a defender.

First off, you'll need to talk to the team, the doctor and BQ about WHY the surgery was done. You're making a big deal about a broken bone in the throwing hand... guess what, broken bones in the hands are very, very common... amongst children. Happens all the time. They usually live with it. We have know idea what kind of break it was, if it was something they'd send everyone in for surgery if they had it, or if they decided it was time for Brady to sit and might as well have the surgery to prevent a re-break come spring training. Unless I missed the quote along the lines that BQ's hand was desperately in need of surgery, we really don't know if it was a break that generally would have been surgically treated.

I'm pretty sure there was something reported along the lines of "the tendon was close to ripping completely off the bone and would be career-threatening at that point."

It wasn't about toughness. Paralyzed people can't walk, and it's not because they're in pain and not tough. It's because their legs don't work. Brady's finger wasn't working right, and he needed it fixed so that he could do his job and throw the football.

I'm pretty sure there was something reported along the lines of "the tendon was close to ripping completely off the bone and would be career-threatening at that point."

It wasn't about toughness. Paralyzed people can't walk, and it's not because they're in pain and not tough. It's because their legs don't work. Brady's finger wasn't working right, and he needed it fixed so that he could do his job and throw the football.

Glad Brady got the surgery.

Let me get this straight---Quinn breaks a finger and the majority give him some slack yet DA has a concussion and the majority give him the shaft... Concussions do not go away in a few weeks, it's a lingering injury that can be again affected when a player hits the ground or is merely tackled.... Some opinions will never change----an excuse to one is a reason to another---whatever.......

Peace

T.Dawg

According to Chud, Anderson actually dislocated a finger on his throwing hand in the Indy game.

But the trainer popped it back in and he kept playing.

Never heard him bitch about it at all.

And he certainly didn't throw it out as an excuse a'la the Tragic Quinnie Fingertip story.

No wonder teammates prefer DA.

LOL! Okay, so THAT is why he fumbled away the game winning TD on a day Peyton Manning was unable to drive his team to 1 single TD.

I was waiting for you to come up with a story that you and all your Oregon State fraternity brothers could feel comfortable with. That's freakin adorable. Did you guys concoct this before or after happy hour?

God Bless ya!

- Tom F.

According to Chud, Anderson actually dislocated a finger on his throwing hand in the Indy game.

But the trainer popped it back in and he kept playing.

Never heard him bitch about it at all.

And he certainly didn't throw it out as an excuse a'la the Tragic Quinnie Fingertip story.

No wonder teammates prefer DA.

Of course this is the first place that it's reported and of course it's reported by the definition of objectivitiy...lumpdick himself. There was of course nothing mentioned about this at any point after the game or even in the few weeks after the game.

And even if it were true...how did he play after this "supposed" injury. He played like shit that entire game...kinda like the way he played the end of the 2007 season and for a good part of the 2008 season.

The great question is what board will Lumpdick be posting on next season?

Guest Masters
Let me get this straight---Quinn breaks a finger and the majority give him some slack yet DA has a concussion and the majority give him the shaft... Concussions do not go away in a few weeks, it's a lingering injury that can be again affected when a player hits the ground or is merely tackled.... Some opinions will never change----an excuse to one is a reason to another---whatever.......

Peace

T.Dawg

And I would give DA slack for the first week or two of the 08' season. But he didn't have that concussion the back end half of the 07' season.

Guest Masters
DA got wallopped in 08 preseason- pretty bad concussion, lasted all year by some accounts.

I have never seen any report or quote saying that.

Was his concussion so bad it made him play bad the second half of 07' and in the pro-bowl?

Sure didn't effect him when he got his shot at the G-men again (the team who gave him the consussion).

Please - you're going to give him the entire season to get his head straight? Did he have the problem against the Giants? Because I guess he relapsed against the Redskins. Seriously, don't give me he had a concussion and needs a do over in 2009. He is up and down every season. Some great games and some crap. Not mediocre - pure crap. That is a bad sign long term.

the more i think about this, the more it bothers me.

not sure the characteristics i want in a QB include cheating to win against your own teammates....in a scrimmage...that means essentially nothing. poor decision....and a bit desperate. if this is what he has to do to give himself an edge for the starting job, he just may not have what it takes.

either way, i think there's too much people assume about this kid.

the more i think about this, the more it bothers me.

not sure the characteristics i want in a QB include cheating to win against your own teammates....in a scrimmage...that means essentially nothing. poor decision....and a bit desperate. if this is what he has to do to give himself an edge for the starting job, he just may not have what it takes.

either way, i think there's too much people assume about this kid.

nice try, do you need some attention today? <_<

Guest Masters
nice try for what? after percolating a bit......it bothers me. he feels he has to cheat to win. bad juju...

Do we know that DA didn't do the same for his team? No, we don't. It's much ado about nothing.

Guest Masters

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:53 am EDT

Hand signals? Brady Quinn has a hand signal for Derek Anderson

By MJD

ESPN's John Clayton stuck an interesting tidbit about the Cleveland Browns quarterback battle in his latest report from Browns training camp (also known as the Eric Mangini control festival). It seems that young Brady Quinn(notes) is not above a little bit of chicanery in his quest to win the Browns' starting quarterback job.

Derek Anderson(notes) said the radio receiver in his helmet wasn't working Sunday, so he had to work with hand signals. Anderson said Brady Quinn, who was quarterbacking the White team, schooled White defenders on those hand signals, which made it harder for Anderson to work a drive filled with short passes.

Helping the defense intercept signals during a scrimmage in order to gain an edge in a training camp position battle ... that's kind of awesome.

Quinn has not had a chance to respond to Clayton's report. But if it's true, is what he did cheating? I guess you could call it cheating. Is it unethical? Probably. Would I do it? I would absolutely do it.

And before passing judgment, remember that we don't know all the circumstances here. Maybe it was a scrimmage where something was on the line. For example, maybe the Brown team got out of practice early if they won, or maybe the White team got Popsicles if they won.

Maybe Quinn was just practicing the stealing of signals for the regular season, in which case, it's something that would be beneficial to everyone in the Browns organization, would it not?

Maybe there was a purpose beyond, "Screw Derek Anderson, I'm trying to win this job."

Or maybe there wasn't. Does there have to be? I would guess that Eric Mangini wants his players to be that competitive about their spots. If it's not something that's hurting the team (and it's not, since it's a scrimmage), where's the harm?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,182358

As Herm Edwards said, "Hello, you... play..... to... WIN.... THE.... GAME!"

Or as a famous leader said, "By any means necessary."

I LOVE it! To me that proves he is a smart SOB and he wants to WIN no matter the scenario/game. THAT is what I want from my leader/QB. Not some guy who blames his helmet radio not working on his subpar play.

Proof in a nutshell what the difference is between Quinn and DA.

As Herm Edwards said, "Hello, you... play..... to... WIN.... THE.... GAME!"

Or as a famous leader said, "By any means necessary."

I LOVE it! To me that proves he is a smart SOB and he wants to WIN no matter the scenario/game. THAT is what I want from my leader/QB. Not some guy who blames his helmet radio not working on his subpar play.

Proof in a nutshell what the difference is between Quinn and DA.

Quinn stealing hand signals is cheating! P :angry: Pure cheating. It's just not fair to DA or Ratliff.

Guest Masters
Quinn stealing hand signals is cheating! P :angry: Pure cheating. It's just not fair to DA or Ratliff.

a. Teams QBs try to signals from the oppossing team every week. One can look at this as good practice for communicating it to the D. QBs are leaders of teams, not just the O.

b. Do we know that DA and Rattliff didn't do the same thing for their D? We don't

c. This didn't occur during the game, as far as telling the D. The quote is that Quinn "schooled White defenders on those hand signals". Meaning past tense, i.e. before the game.

d. No matter what, the hand signals being understood by the D didn't cause DA to stare down his TE from go and to not see the double coverage, which by all accounts everyone watching the game could see.

a. Teams QBs try to signals from the oppossing team every week. One can look at this as good practice for communicating it to the D. QBs are leaders of teams, not just the O.

b. Do we know that DA and Rattliff didn't do the same thing for their D? We don't

c. This didn't occur during the game, as far as telling the D. The quote is that Quinn "schooled White defenders on those hand signals". Meaning past tense, i.e. before the game.

d. No matter what, the hand signals being understood by the D didn't cause DA to stare down his TE from go and to not see the double coverage, which by all accounts everyone watching the game could see.

No. Quinn told his white team defense what plays DA were running by the hand signals. To me, that's not right. If I was DA, I would punch him.

Choco, Drunkandstupid and Lumbergh keep spinning everything in their direction.

His concussion did not linger for an entire season and if it would have, he would have been benched and put on IR because of it.... kind of how like Quinn was with his finger.

It's one thing to blame one instance and move on, which is what Quinn fans have done with the finger injury. He got injured, was put on IR.... that's that. No one is twisting any facts when stating it.

DA is given excuse after excuse for poor play.

If it's not inclimate weather, it's dropped passes, bad routes ran, bad blocking, whatever... there is ALWAYS something. For the guy who said he doesnt want a guy who "cheats" leading this team... nice spin job. i don't want a guy who buckles any time there is pressure. i don't want a guy who needs excuses from his fans every time there is a foul up.

Brady Quinn could come out and stink up the joint this year, but that isn't going to excuse the fact that DA has screwed the pooch over and over and over and over again.

It's getting ridiculous talking with some of you guys. Call it how it is. Stop making excuses. If DA comes out in preseason and outshines Quinn, guys like me Shep and every other Browns fan that has been dubbed a "Quinn fag" will admit it. Shep openly admitted DA was ahead until the scrimmage because THAT's how he saw it.

When are one you DA guys going to give Quinn credit when he actually out-performs a guy like he did in the scrimmage? Have any of you EVER done that? Or do you continue to search for excuses as to why DA keeps making the same mistake?

I have seen plenty of guys who think Quinn is better come out and admit when DA looks good/better on the field; but I haven't seen any DA jock on this board give Quinn any credit when he outperformed DA in a pressure-filled, game-scenario scrimmage.

Guest Masters
No. Quinn told his white team defense what plays DA were running by the hand signals. To me, that's not right. If I was DA, I would punch him.

That isn't what DA said. Read his quote, it's right in this thread. "Derek Anderson(notes) said the radio receiver in his helmet wasn't working Sunday, so he had to work with hand signals. Anderson said Brady Quinn, who was quarterbacking the White team, schooled White defenders on those hand signals, which made it harder for Anderson to work a drive filled with short passes."

Note the bold part. Past tense, which means it was before the actual play or game. Not only that, the term schooled is slang for taught.

The helmet going out, switching to hand signals, then getting off the play does not give enough time for a QB on the sideline to catch it happening, reading the signals, then communicating it in to the D.

Archived