THE BROWNS BOARD

People who always have excuses annoy me.

TheBestPlayersPlay

That isn't what DA said. Read his quote, it's right in this thread. "Derek Anderson(notes) said the radio receiver in his helmet wasn't working Sunday, so he had to work with hand signals. Anderson said Brady Quinn, who was quarterbacking the White team, schooled White defenders on those hand signals, which made it harder for Anderson to work a drive filled with short passes."

Note the bold part. Past tense, which means it was before the actual play or game.

The helmet going out, switching to hand signals, then getting off the play does not give enough time for a QB on the sideline to catch it happening, reading the signals, then communicating it in to the D.

All this says to me is that DA wasn't smart enough to help prepare his team, Quinn did. And DA used that as an excuse for his play.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys - I highly doubt it happened, and seriously, they were throwing most of the day - how much "help" do you think hand signal deciphering would have helped? In that short of time? Puuleease.

It was DA just messing around.

(On Derek Anderson saying he was giving the defense hand signals during the scrimmage) – “He would say that (jokingly).”

Guest Masters
All this says to me is that DA wasn't smart enough to help prepare his team, Quinn did. And DA used that as an excuse for his play.

I look at it the same way.

That isn't what DA said. Read his quote, it's right in this thread. "Derek Anderson(notes) said the radio receiver in his helmet wasn't working Sunday, so he had to work with hand signals. Anderson said Brady Quinn, who was quarterbacking the White team, schooled White defenders on those hand signals, which made it harder for Anderson to work a drive filled with short passes."

Note the bold part. Past tense, which means it was before the actual play or game. Not only that, the term schooled is slang for taught.

The helmet going out, switching to hand signals, then getting off the play does not give enough time for a QB on the sideline to catch it happening, reading the signals, then communicating it in to the D.

Always verify. How do you know this really happened? Are you the kind of poster that believes S Rogers wants back in Detroit as well? Here is one for you - the word Gullible is not in the dictionary.

Guest Masters
Always verify. How do you know this really happened? Are you the kind of poster that believes S Rogers wants back in Detroit as well? Here is one for you - the word Gullible is not in the dictionary.

I don't exactly have access to DA. The only thing I can go by to verify is what has been put in print. Supposedly that is what he said. So my point is that even if it did happen, Quinn had to have schooled his sided D before the game.

You'll also see I have said how do we know DA didn't do the same thing for his side? We don't. So it goes both ways or can all be fiction. I get that.

Of course I am not, and nothing I said would seem to even lead to that conclusion. Are you responding to the right post?

Aren't you clever. Did an 8 year old teach you that joke on the playground today.

No. Quinn told his white team defense what plays DA were running by the hand signals. To me, that's not right. If I was DA, I would punch him.

@ Masters - yes I did respond to the wrong poster.

@ dawgpound3 - What do you mean "Quinn told his team?" You have zero idea who told what to whom. None. Zero. Nada. You have zero clue if DA was messing around, which by Quinn's response he was messing around when he said Quinn gave away the signals.

What you don't seem to understand - at all - is that hand singals @ the scrimmage amount to numbers and a play on the wrist. Other than that, by the time the play goes in, Quinn would have to yell the play on the field - what do you think they had hand signals for the hand signals?

Seriously, how do you think the plays got to the defense while they were on the field? They all memorized every stinking play, while also knowing the their own assignments?

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Eric Mangini says his Cleveland Browns quarterbacks are competing, not cheating.

The radio transmitter inside Derek Anderson's helmet wasn't working in a Sunday scrimmage, so he used hand signals to relay plays. Anderson joked after the scrimmage that Brady Quinn told the defense what all the signals meant.

Reporters at the scrimmage saw the two players laughing about it.

But that didn't head off several online reports suggesting Quinn was using underhanded tactics to win the starting job.

Mangini could only shake his head.

"Those guys are competitive and they're friends," Mangini said Wednesday. "The group is friendly and the game was competitive by nature. ... All I see them doing is supporting each other."

Anderson's team won, 17-14.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...l#ixzz0O2jgAGck

Was I right or was I right?

Archived