THE BROWNS BOARD

Understanding Our History

Flugel

As to the question of rule changes affecting the passing game, who do you think holds the all time record for yards gained per pass attempt? Would you think maybe Marino or Elway or Warner or Brady or some other current guy?

Nyetski. It is a guy that played in the 40s and 50s.....our own Otto Graham!

What do you think is the significance of that fact?

That's a good job by you pointing that out Gipper. Thanks! Otto was the man and seemingly way ahead of his time. It's not an accident that the 1 name most linked to our participation in 10 consecutive championships is Otto Graham. I don't ever see highlights of our defense in all our glory years.

I think I can show you where the era change & rule changes is most impactful: TD passes and passing yards.

Graham's career high TD passes was 25 in 1948 when he started 14 games. This only amounted to 2,713 passing yards. His career best yards per attempt was in 1953 when he threw 11 TD passes to 9 INTs in just a 12 game season.

Tom Brady's career high is 50 TD passes in 16 games with only 8 INTs. 4,806 passing yards

Peyton's career best is 49 TD passes in 16 games with only 10 INTs. 4557 passing yards

Marino's best was 48 TDs in 16 games with 17 INTs and 5,084 passing yards.

It seems easier to compile the stats these days because DBs are getting handcuffed. Back in the day - you could body up receivers all over the field. That being the case - you're receivers like Gary Collins didn't have to be speedy as long as they were big and strong with good hands.

- Tom F.

I appreciate the reply Sez; but you're STILL dismissing the FACT that the AFC's #1 Ranked Defense didn't play in the Superbowls against the Giants & Redskins. It wasn't enough and I dare say the combination of Mack & Byner trumped any other running tandem in the playoffs so WAS great defense and a GREAT running game enough to trump Elway? You've got spin and excuses while I'm looking at the bottom line of 0 for 2. If our D is giving up 38 points - that's a cruddy margin of error for our offense to work with regardless of how creative you want to get.

And YES, 2 of the BETTER SB passing day performances were from Phil Simms going an uncontested 22 of 25 passing for 3 TDs and Doug Williams leading Washington to an uncontested 42 points.

As for our Titles and 10 consecutive appearances - you can go on thinking we didn't need Otto Graham from 1946 through 1955 because of the coach, oline and great defense. That's fine.

I carefully worded the subject heading; BECAUSE all I ever hear are excuses about the drive. If it wasn't for Mark Gastineau roughing the QB - the slumping Jets had us beaten the week before the Drive. Last but not least, NOBODY ever thinks of the 38-31 conference championship loss as a great defensive battle. Seriously. TRUTH is we don't have alot of our defensive players in the Hall of Fame for a team that won 8 Pro Football Championships and competed in 10 straight. The biggest name from that era is Otto Graham - that's just the inconvenient truth for some reason.

- Tom F.

If you recall that team, we had absolutely no pass rush, but managed to have the top-rated defense. Dixon & Minnifield were true "shut-down" corners (why isn't Hanford Dixon ever nominated for the HOF?). I never thought of it as a GREAT defense, but they were opportunistic with guys like Felix Wright getting timely ints, and our special teams were awesome at the kick -return game and blocking punts/fgs.

The following season, in "the Fumble" game, I still blame Webster Slaughter for putting us in the hole early. A quick slant pass bounced right off of his hands deep in our territory, and we were down 14-0 right away. He also is seen standing there, instead of blocking, on the infamous Byner fumble...he could have blocked Castille, that play never happens...nasty flashbacks guys.

Tragically, what a waste. I am and can never be convinced otherwise that we were the best team in the NFL in 1986 & 1987, great seasons that ended with a thud.

Archived