THE BROWNS BOARD

Stallworth allowed to train during house arrest

Brownshirt

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-s...p&type=lgns

Stallworth allowed to train during house arrest

By SARAH LARIMER, Associated Press Writer

13 minutes ago

Buzz up! PrintMIAMI (AP)—Suspended Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth(notes) will be allowed to leave home confinement to train with a strength and conditioning coach, a judge ruled Tuesday.

At a morning hearing, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy granted a motion to modify the conditions of Stallworth’s house arrest. The 28-year-old, who pleaded guilty in June to DUI manslaughter, will now be allowed to train outside of his home with a coach five days a week in South Florida, according to court documents.

The motion, submitted by attorney Christopher Lyons, said Stallworth needed to train with a coach so he can “maintain an elevated degree of physical conditioning.”

Under the previous terms of his house arrest, Stallworth could not leave his residence except for work, community service or other approved activity. He will now be allowed to train with coach Pete Bommarito at a local high school, according to court documents.

FILE -- This is an April 2, 20…

AP - Aug 11, 10:51 am EDT NFL Gallery ADVERTISEMENT

“The fact is that he’s presently not formally employed by the NFL,” said prosecutor Patrick Trese, who objected to the motion. “And absent him being formally employed by the NFL, he’s not in a position where I think it’s necessary for him to worry about those types of issues.”

Stallworth struck and killed 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a construction worker who was leaving his job as a crane operator, in a March 14 crash. Police said Stallworth had spent the night drinking at a Miami Beach club. He had a blood-alcohol level of .126, above Florida’s .08 legal limit.

Stallworth described the early morning collision in an interview for the magazine show “E:60,” which is scheduled to air Tuesday night on ESPN. He said he was driving about 40 mph when he saw Reyes run into street.

He recounted flashing his headlights and honking the horn to warn Reyes, then slamming on the brakes, according to interview excerpts released by ESPN.

“We collided,” Stallworth said. “That’s one of the many vivid things that still plays in my head to this day is the sound of that accident and you know, that’s something to this day I can still hear as clear as it just happened.”

Stallworth was given a 30-day jail sentence and reached an undisclosed financial settlement with Reyes’ family. Besides jail time, Stallworth’s sentence included two years of house arrest, eight years of probation and other restrictions.

“As the case goes, there is a lot more to it than that and it doesn’t take away from the fact that I used poor judgment,” Stallworth told ESPN, when asked if he got off easy. “But at the end of the day, I think that I have to take full responsibility for the choices that I made that morning.”

Stallworth was suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after the crash. He met with Goodell in New York last week about possible reinstatement.

The Browns are not counting on a quick return by Stallworth, who the team signed to a seven-year, $35 million contract in 2008. Once it became apparent he could miss significant time, the Browns signed 12-year veteran receiver David Patten(notes) and added Brian Robiskie(notes) and Mohammed Massaquoi in April’s NFL draft.

I want him no where near the team, definitely a negative effect on the players. mangini wants high character guys, and this guy isn't one of them.

He's not high character because he accidentally hit some idiot that ran in front of his car? And then made every attempt he possibly could to make sure the family was taken care of? Took full responsibility for his actions?

I'd like to see what you consider high character.

He's not high character because he accidentally hit some idiot that ran in front of his car? And then made every attempt he possibly could to make sure the family was taken care of? Took full responsibility for his actions?

Stallworth handled the situation with class. That reeks of high character. Instead of running away(ala Pacman Jones), he fully cooperated with the cops, and made sure the family was taken of.

Woah woah woah.....While I am one of the first people to jump to Donte's defense and say his sentance was one that was within the guidelines of the law and he didn't get too much preferential treatment. And I agree that he did the correct thing in taking responsibility and helping the family.

I WOULD NOT CALL HIM A HIGH CHARACTER GUY. Drinking, Driving, Marijuana. Those are all question marks in my mind.

Enough that those things alone would make me want him off my team? Nah probably not. But combine those with his injury history here and lack of production, and our now depth at WR and yeah, Good luck with your next team Donte, don't let the door hit you in the......

Yeah, that's true and besides, he will be out for a whole season.

Guest Masters
Woah woah woah.....While I am one of the first people to jump to Donte's defense and say his sentance was one that was within the guidelines of the law and he didn't get too much preferential treatment. And I agree that he did the correct thing in taking responsibility and helping the family.

I WOULD NOT CALL HIM A HIGH CHARACTER GUY. Drinking, Driving, Marijuana. Those are all question marks in my mind.

Enough that those things alone would make me want him off my team? Nah probably not. But combine those with his injury history here and lack of production, and our now depth at WR and yeah, Good luck with your next team Donte, don't let the door hit you in the......

Me, I don't put drinking & driving or marijuana use in my equation for character. Ones perhpas bad judgement (though you'll be hard pressed to find many people that have drank, who have never driven at least once after doing so) and recreational drug use like marjiuana to me is no different than a person that wants to drink, smoke tobacco, do dip, etc. But that's a whole different discussion. Character to me is about the person you are, how you handle the good and the bad in life, how you treat others, and so on.

Now, do I want him on the Browns? No. But not because I think anything poorly of his character, but for the reasons you mentioned to close your post.

I think the other guys point was the judgemental post saying he'd be a negative influence and not a character guy.

Me, I don't put drinking & driving or marijuana use in my equation for character. Ones perhpas bad judgement (though you'll be hard pressed to find many people that have drank, who have never driven at least once after doing so) and recreational drug use like marjiuana to me is no different than a person that wants to drink, smoke tobacco, do dip, etc. But that's a whole different discussion. Character to me is about the person you are, how you handle the good and the bad in life, how you treat others, and so on.

Now, do I want him on the Browns? No. But not because I think anything poorly of his character, but for the reasons you mentioned to close your post.

I think the other guys point was the judgemental post saying he'd be a negative influence and not a character guy.

I'm not saying I want Dante, I'm just saying that was a ridiculous statement.

And none of those things factor into character. It may be that those habits are more prevalent in questionable types of people, but they don't define those people.

Guest Masters
I'm not saying he's evil. But I'm saying he has his issues that many of us do. (lord knows I'd never be accused of being HIGH CHARACTER.......)

Right there is the type of thing that would lead me to believe you are a high character guy.

This is the age old argument. He was drunk and/or stoned when he hit Reyes, even though the accident was clearly Reyes's fault, Stallworth is not high character because he had too much to drink before he drove.

I don't agree with that assessment. High character isn't about what mistakes or what poor judgment you use, because all humans make mistakes and at times will do things based on poor judgment, but rather it is about what you do after the mistake has been made.

He was drinking and driving, and was also high, to me that's bad character when you're a PROFESSIONAL football player, and if you can't consider him as having bad character then I know that the majority of people would put him no where near "high" character.

bad character or not, I don't want another media circus on the browns, I've had enough of it, and I don't want him to be a detriment to the rookies WR development. get him out of here, and let him sign with the raiders or something.

He was drinking and driving, and was also high, to me that's bad character when you're a PROFESSIONAL football player, and if you can't consider him as having bad character then I know that the majority of people would put him no where near "high" character.

How do you feel about his follow through after the tragedy? Did he show poor character after the fact? And if you want to say anyone would do what he did, I say you're wrong. He had the money to fight this down to reckless op. He had the money to MAYBE get off with minor punishment.

Bad decision? Yes. Bad character? I don't think the victims family thought so, the judge and prosecuter didn't think so, and hell, now he has permission to pursue his profession because they've allowed him to work outside the home.

That is a lot of people determining he is not a bad character guy. Maybe not high character, and I don't know him so I can't say. It is your opinion and I appreciate that you have that right as an individual. It is just I find people set in their ways in judging others usually have more flaws than most of us. It takes a much bigger person to forgive than to point fingers and say "you have bad character issues."

Me? I could care either way, and I agree that maybe this team is not his best option, or ours either.

Seems like a guy who can learn from this. As I said I don;t know the man so I can't say for sure.

Just my 2 pesos.

Archived