THE BROWNS BOARD

CRIBSS LOOKING GOOD AT WR

Riffer X

Reports are saying that Cribbs has really "gotten it" now at the receiver spot. He's looking comfortable and catching everything. I think last year most fans had doubts about his stiffness in route running, hands and overall feel for the position.

Question is what will this do to the WR depth chart and how will it affect his contract status?

I see it like this right now, regardless of the fake depth chart that's out.

1) Edwards

2 & 3) MoMass and Robo in basically a dead heat to start opposite Edwards with Mo slightly ahead. I still think they perceive him as a dangerous slot guy.

4) Furrey based on starting at slot.

5) Patten---he had a big scrimmage and is a pro's pro. Hard to imagine Mangie not keeping him around IMO, unless he stays dinged up.

6, 7 and 8) Hubbard, Leggett and Norwood in that order.

* Cribbs---obviously he has a spot already as no worse than a 6th WR, but where does he truly stand in the rotation?

I think they keep 7 active WR's with Norwood and Leggett?Hubbard as practice squad fodder and the other sticking opening day. Granted, there will probably be an injury somewhere before camp breaks so it'll be interesting. I feel pretty good about this crew, it's the best we've had since the return as far as depth and promise, and if Edwards has head removed from ass for season it's really nice.

Another note about Cribbs: STO speculates Jackson will get an extension and Cribbs won't, but if Cribbs continues kicking ass all around in camp he may just get his raise.

Seven is steep counting Cribbs, I'll admit that, but I'm talking order more than anything else. Could come down to another guy stepping up on ST's.

Somebody will get dinged though, that's almost certain. I doubt Patten would get claimed if released and kept on speed dial but he does have a great rep around the league as a consummate pro, so for somebody thin or banged up he would make a nice add.

I like Norwood but he does have a little trouble with separation from what I've seen. Hubbard and Leggett are both nice sized guys who have brought their work ethic to this camp and really improved. I'm still not convinced Hubbard can show up with the lights on and as Alo commented he still seems robotic in his moves. Leggett is another guy that could shine in preseason and then drop everything thrown his way in actual game action. It's pretty sad how I just assume we're going to go through a rash of injuries where these guys could get significant snaps.

Seven is steep counting Cribbs, I'll admit that, but I'm talking order more than anything else. Could come down to another guy stepping up on ST's.

Somebody will get dinged though, that's almost certain. I doubt Patten would get claimed if released and kept on speed dial but he does have a great rep around the league as a consummate pro, so for somebody thin or banged up he would make a nice add.

I like Norwood but he does have a little trouble with separation from what I've seen. Hubbard and Leggett are both nice sized guys who have brought their work ethic to this camp and really improved. I'm still not convinced Hubbard can show up with the lights on and as Alo commented he still seems robotic in his moves. Leggett is another guy that could shine in preseason and then drop everything thrown his way in actual game action. It's pretty sad how I just assume we're going to go through a rash of injuries where these guys could get significant snaps.

I have to agree that it's too early to even render a guess because of the injury factor. I see 6WRs and one on the practice squad. I believe all but Patton are eligable for the practice squad. I don't think Norwood has done enough yet but then again we haven't even played a practice game.

Patton sure is a nice veteran insurance policy you'd hate to give up. He's a real professional and is helping the kids alot. Seems like a team guy who would sit at the #5 receiver job and not cause a fuss. But, I'd hate to give up on a Hubbard to keep a guy that is a one and done. Ssince we aren't going to the Super Bowl this year I think you keep the young talent and work with them.

Bottom line is it may work it self out because the NFL is a game of injuries.

Reports are saying that Cribbs has really "gotten it" now at the receiver spot. He's looking comfortable and catching everything.

I like hearing he's catching everything except Loverboy's crabs. We need that guy in the open fields with mismatches in coverage. You want to sting a zone blitz? I can't think of a better guy.

When Pitt's sneaking Polly up near the line of scrimmage- I am so looking forward to the day we can zip a pass in the vacated zone to Cribbs. I think he CAN be a great WR if he gets consistent reps.

I think Furrey's experience has us comfortable with him taking the Slot job. That said, my gut tells me Cribbs could be even BETTER if we ever wanted to increase his role. Again, my rationale is all about getting him in open fields with mismatches as much as we can.

- Tom F.

I see it this way:

LOCKS: Edwards, M2, Robo, Cribbs, and Furrey

That's five, which is how many most teams carry on game day, with one guy inactive. There's one more roster spot between Hubbard, Leggett, Norwood, and Patten.

None of those guys is likely to crack the top four, so I'd keep the developmental guy (Leggett seems in the lead right now) and keep Patten on speed dial. Like teams have Edge James right now.

Leggett sounds like he can make the practice squad. I think the ONLY way Hubbard makes this team is if he proves he's BETTER than MoMass and Robo or 1 of them gets injured. Patten's age and frequency of injuries the last couple years makes him a long shot.

I see this group:

Edwards

MoMass

Robo

Cribbs

Norwood

Furrey

I guess the drawback to that list is there's 3 guys without 1 NFL game under their belt. In fairness to our brass, they weren't counting on Stallworth getting in trouble the day he cashed his signing bonus.

- Tom F.

I like hearing he's catching everything except Loverboy's crabs. We need that guy in the open fields with mismatches in coverage. You want to sting a zone blitz? I can't think of a better guy.

When Pitt's sneaking Polly up near the line of scrimmage- I am so looking forward to the day we can zip a pass in the vacated zone to Cribbs. I think he CAN be a great WR if he gets consistent reps.

- Tom F.

It's amazing that we have a cast of misfits wr's to put it nicely and they are outperforming the rest of team.

Edwards

Robiskie

Mass

Furrey

Patten

Legget,Norwood,Hubbard and the rest fight it out. Cribbs is on ST so he doesn't count. I like Patten but he could slip out also.

Let's hope this is for real.

If so, then Cribbs has to figure in to the 4-WR set. Then he becomes an absolute nightmare for the defenses as a hot read on a zone blitz or catching the ball in space on a crossing route. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

As a Buckeye fan, I was so spoiled watching Ginn. I would be disappointed whenever Teddy didn't do something spectacular because you came to expect it. Face it, Cribbs is that guy for this team. Every time he touches it, you just feel good about something exciting happening. He's the anti-Metcalf-up-the-middle.

I'll say it - I want Cribbs no worse than the #3 WR if he is good enough, depending on who we play. I want the guy on the field. If he can catch and run the routes, play him. He can see a lot of snaps this year - well, I hope he does. Everytime he has the ball it's like he was shot out of a cannon.

Found this at the bottom of the Sean Smith article on cleveland.com:

"The Browns signed free-agent first-year receiver Edward Williams and waived injured receiver Syndric Steptoe, who suffered a torn labrum in practice Saturday. "

Per USAtoday.com Salary tables:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...es/default.aspx

2008 Browns $ 295,000 $ 0 $ 5,520 $ 300,520 $ 300,520 WR

This is all I could find on his contract situation:

Feb 28, 2008: Re-signed by the Cleveland Browns to a future contract.

Sep 3, 2007: Signed by the Cleveland Browns to the practice squad.

Sep 1, 2007: Released by the Cleveland Browns.

Jul 22, 2007: Signed by the Cleveland Browns to a four-year contract.

Apr 29, 2007: Drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 7th round (234th Overall) in 2007.

So he was just resigned in Feb...but....Injury in training camp = waived

Thanks for being insulting.

The point of the post is that in the NFL there is no guaranteed contracts. There are people who bash Cribbs for wanting a new deal, telling him to just shut up and play cause he signed a 6-year deal in '06. If he's hurt in camp this year, he can be cut and that pro bowl season he contributed, along with all the other great seasons he's had, would have amounted to squat. The current regime needs to pay the man more than 645k this year, he's one of the top two or three returners in the league.

Guest Masters

Guys like Cribbs don't get cut when hurt. Him and Steptoe are not even comparable. One contributes every week on the field and one doesn't. Night and Day chief.

I think most of us agree cribbs is worth more than he is making but he has a binding contract never the less...a fair compromise would be for mankok to either add an injury clause similar to what david vulkuine recieved as a precaution to being injuried and or offer a better incentives package cribbs is a tough guy and a spirited talented player and at a mere 645k a year theres no way the browns cut him under any circumstance...

I believe cribbs when he says lerner over the phone said he would make it right josh has no reason to make that up...

I don't know. If he blows out his shoulder or knee to the point that he's definitely out for the whole season, who says the current staff wants to pay him the whole year while on IR and then hope he comes back 100% next year. Football is a business and when you can get Jerome Harrison to field kicks, or one of the other, much cheaper, rookies to do the job, who says they don't cut him?

-db

Guest Masters
I don't know. If he blows out his shoulder or knee to the point that he's definitely out for the whole season, who says the current staff wants to pay him the whole year while on IR and then hope he comes back 100% next year. Football is a business and when you can get Jerome Harrison to field kicks, or one of the other, much cheaper, rookies to do the job, who says they don't cut him?

-db

Pay him that whopping 700K for the year? So they'll keep Robair Smith who is coming off a severe knee injury and making a ass ton more, but would theoretically cut Cribbs.... Then throw in using an unproven returner in one of the most critical aspects of the game, special teams. I am sorry, but that logic train isn't staying on the tracks at all. Not for CLE or any NFL team.

Overpaid or non-producing players get waived after an injury, not underpaid and over-producing players.

I keep reading that Cribbs is motivated by playing for a new contract. While it is a well known fact that he WANTS a new contract, this young man is NOT (imho) motivated solely by money. He plays 100% EVERY game because he has what EVERY player needs...PRIDE...& lots of it! He has made & will make mistakes, but they won't be due to lack of effort.

If you're a Browns fan, you just have to be pulling for Cribbs.

Mike

Cribbs is simply growing and going through the maturation process that athletes like him go through. This was a wishbone style QB coming out of a small MAC school, that's a real far cry from becoming adept at a position like NFL WR with halfass reps under RAC 'n ROLLS.

People forget he struggled catching kicks when he first got here, but over time worked at it and now he is pretty much flawless at it. I always felt he could catch, it was becoming more fluent in his route running and being prepared when the ball gets there that he needed to improve on.

From what I saw at camp and from reports, he is completely focused and professional at his job. Certainly the contract status can't hurt his concentration level, but I prefer to think it's because of the kind of guy he is more than anything else.

Also, Cribbs is a core player and would never be released from an injury, that's crazy speak. First of all, it would rank right up there with cutting Berns from a PR perspective, but the fact he is a stud football player would probably hold more credence.

Archived