THE BROWNS BOARD

WHY do the Browns not spend more time

Solon16

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/multimedia/...yer.php?id=6072

Always have thought that the Browns need to get to and play and become familiar with playing IN the stadium....Mangini said he got lost a couple times there....wtf? You have a multiple million dollar facility that is never used.....how caN THE PLAYERS feel LIKE THIS IS THERE HOME FIELD WHEN THEY ARE NEVER FKN THERE? JUST MY OPINION BUT ITS STOOOOPID! tHERE IS NO "MY HOUSE FEEL" oops sorry bout the caps...they need to spend more time at CBS!!!!

What's your opinion!!!????

Im not saying they should practice all the time there....but damn, once a week to change it up and become familiar with the place atleast...Just doesn't make sense...the stadium never gets used and the players should love the place....the only way you love a place is to be there... no? How can there be a Home field Advantage when our players play there as often as the opponents do...stooopid!

Guest Masters

Do any other NFL teams actually practice or spend time at their real game day stadium?

This isn't exactly the old days of Muni where you needed to know where the painted dirt and pot holes were.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Here's what I think they should do.

Mon-Fri at the "office"....Berea. Last practice in Berea....Friday. Staurday practice should be at CBS before the game, it's a walk-through anyway, (it's not like a walk-through will tear the field up)....they all stay downtown at their hotel Saturday night. Game on Sunday. Back to Berea on Monday.

Monday to Friday at the Office

Weekends spent at CBS

Guest 88fingerslewy
To what advantage? You'd rather the guys give up home field advantage by staying in a hotel instead of at home? Uh, that kind of defeats the purpose. And what would a walk through every Saturday @ CBS accomplish?

They already stay at a downtown hotel night before the game. THEY ALREADY DO THAT!!!! They did it last year and the year before that.

Im not saying they should practice all the time there....but damn, once a week to change it up and become familiar with the place atleast...Just doesn't make sense...the stadium never gets used and the players should love the place....the only way you love a place is to be there... no? How can there be a Home field Advantage when our players play there as often as the opponents do...stooopid!

The fans are what create the home field advantage. The building is just the place where we congregate.

They already stay at a downtown hotel night before the game. THEY ALREADY DO THAT!!!! They did it last year and the year before that.

I have no idea if they stay downtown. There at home - let them sleep there. But seriously, why walk around the stadium every Sat home game? It would seem to me walking the AWAY stadium might make sense - but I have a feeling the AWAY team would say no. LOL

So the multiple hundred million dollar facility gets used 8 times? Players and coaches and staff should use the facility....once a week. The rerason for the thread was Mangini said he had gotten lost there....Just makes no sense not to have the team there once a week, if for nothing else to freakin be comfortable in your home stadium, make it feel like HOME!

Isn't that what Family Day and the preseason games are for?

Groundskeepers and admins are extremely anal about their turf and August can be a hard month on its stress level. Camp is set up where players can feel comfortable and get acclimated to daily routine where they can just concentrate on football. Hell, some teams practice completely out of the area let alone across town.

On a related note, I'm to the point where I would really like a better training camp venue. They have been pondering it for awhile, but every time they bring it up they have some extreme idea of going to Columbus or something. Keep it in the area but a better venue for fans would be awesome. Berea is a nice complex and I've been in it, but it's nothing where the equipment couldn't be picked up and moved.

What I spoil for is a facility within NE Ohio that has close parking, but more importantly large bleachers that surround the field----doesn't have to surround the whole area. This way you can get there and grab a seat, yet still see the entire field. The way they have it now is a complete and total pain in the ass to try to see what's going on. If you are fortunate enough to find a spot closest to the field they scrimmage on, the site lines are terrible and you get stampeded. If you could just sit up in a large bleacher section you could have access to the entire field and not be claustrophobic.

What I spoil for is a facility within NE Ohio that has close parking, but more importantly large bleachers that surround the field----doesn't have to surround the whole area. This way you can get there and grab a seat, yet still see the entire field. The way they have it now is a complete and total pain in the ass to try to see what's going on. If you are fortunate enough to find a spot closest to the field they scrimmage on, the site lines are terrible and you get stampeded. If you could just sit up in a large bleacher section you could have access to the entire field and not be claustrophobic.

The only other camp that i've been to was Buffalo's (for the Browns scrimmage). Flugels hosted us for that weekend. The facility in Rochester was far more fan friendly than what we have. It was a small college campus. The various practice fields were roped off, but you weren't scrunched in like Berea. i attended the Friday combined practice. The Saturday scrimmage was a controlled session at their college stadium (like our Family Day).

Zombo stole my umbrella.

To what advantage? You'd rather the guys give up home field advantage by staying in a hotel instead of at home? Uh, that kind of defeats the purpose. And what would a walk through every Saturday @ CBS accomplish?

I think the team does do a walk through at the stadium on saturday before games.

I don't know how mangini will do it, but it is pretty common for the browns to spend Saturday night in a hotel when they are at home. The players aren't sleeping at home.

I agree. They should do something to get more familiar with CBS. If that means practice there once a week, then that's what they need to do. If that means, a Saturday walk-thru. Great. Mankok and company need to do whatever it takes to help this team find an identity. Part of that is getting that "PROTECT MY HOUSE" attitude! If they don't know the place, then why would they feel that way. It's pretty pathetic that our head coach gets lost in his own home stadium! He has probably been there more than most of the players that are new to the team. Imagine how lost they feel there!

I agree. They should do something to get more familiar with CBS. If that means practice there once a week, then that's what they need to do. If that means, a Saturday walk-thru. Great. Mankok and company need to do whatever it takes to help this team find an identity. Part of that is getting that "PROTECT MY HOUSE" attitude! If they don't know the place, then why would they feel that way. It's pretty pathetic that our head coach gets lost in his own home stadium! He has probably been there more than most of the players that are new to the team. Imagine how lost they feel there!

Thank you...exactly!!!

Guest Masters

I'd still pose the following question, what do other teams that get the "protect my house" attitude do?

I do not see practicing at CBS having any impact or advantage for the Browns, just as it serves no advantage for other teams in the league.

I agree.

All they need to do is run around on the field a few times to get accustomed to the grass etc.

Practicing there more isn't going to do anything to improve gameday performance.

Have you guys ever been a part of any type of sport? Even in high school? Did you not have that extra urge to play harder in front of your home crowd? In front of your fans...your friends...your family? If not, then I understand you not getting it! But, if so, then you should realize that it's the same thing. Is practicing at CBS going to make them better football players? No. But would it help them to relate CBS as THEIR HOME? Oh Yeah! Someone said something in a previous post about the visiting teams playing there just as much as the Browns. Why should it feel just as much at home to the visiting teams as it does to our Browns? Have you taken a look at what our home record is since the team came back? 28-52! On our HOME FIELD! They've managed just ONE winning season at home and that was 2007. They did manage 2 other seasons, 2001 and 2005, with 4-4 records at home. Hardly protecting their home field! It seems to be a HOME FIELD DISADVANTAGE for our Browns! In that same stretch of time, they have compiled a record of almost an identical 26-54. Again, not much of an advantage at home! A part of that is ATTITUDE and IDENTITY! Let these guys start to have some of each! Give them more opportunity to feel like this is truly their home!

Have you guys ever been a part of any type of sport? Even in high school? Did you not have that extra urge to play harder in front of your home crowd? In front of your fans...your friends...your family? If not, then I understand you not getting it! But, if so, then you should realize that it's the same thing. Is practicing at CBS going to make them better football players? No. But would it help them to relate CBS as THEIR HOME? Oh Yeah! Someone said something in a previous post about the visiting teams playing there just as much as the Browns. Why should it feel just as much at home to the visiting teams as it does to our Browns? Have you taken a look at what our home record is since the team came back? 28-52! On our HOME FIELD! They've managed just ONE winning season at home and that was 2007. They did manage 2 other seasons, 2001 and 2005, with 4-4 records at home. Hardly protecting their home field! It seems to be a HOME FIELD DISADVANTAGE for our Browns! In that same stretch of time, they have compiled a record of almost an identical 26-54. Again, not much of an advantage at home! A part of that is ATTITUDE and IDENTITY! Let these guys start to have some of each! Give them more opportunity to feel like this is truly their home!

This is professional football, not high school. They are highly paid professional athletes. I can't think of any team that practices at their home stadium. They have to keep the grass in great shape. This has always been the case. I don't think that not practicing on the CBS is why their record is so poor. It is because we have had poor teams. Like I said, not high school.

Guest Masters

I'll start with "Someone said something in a previous post about the visiting teams playing there just as much as the Browns. Why should it feel just as much at home to the visiting teams as it does to our Browns? ". If someone said that, they obviously posted first and thought second (which you just did in even raising it). CLE plays 8 games at CBS per season. Last time I checked it wasn't against the same team every time. So how do the visiting team play there just as much as the Browns?

Yeah, I have played team sport (which serves no relavance). I didn't need to practice in that stadium/field every day or any day to understand it was my home field. The family, fans, and friends that are there on game day (not there at practice) remind me of that. These are guys who are playing at the highest level of their sport, its not a "Hoosiers" experience for any player when they stop on the field.

And once again I ask, how many other NFL teams practice at their stadium?

I played just as hard away as at home and probably had some of my best games on the road. We never practiced on our home field, either.

I see no relevance to this. I mentioned earlier and it was followed up by the Gipper, but the turf is the primary concern. You can't practice on grass that much without damaging it, then you'll have Heinz Field Northwest.

There is also the little issue of the field only being ONE field, whereas at camp there are 4 fields in one.

So the multiple hundred million dollar facility gets used 8 times?

Not true.

From early February to late July, the place gets converted to one huge Olive Garden restaurant.

As a matter of fact, yes..I played college baseball.

Sorry....YOU are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about. Nobody practices on their game field. Quit sounding like a dope.

Archived