THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 14: BLT @ CLE on MNF... Is shit is about to get real? Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore(so)"...

Tour2ma

As appropriate for a Poe referenced theme we begin our stretch run trying to exorcise the ghost of Week 1 past (I know... I'm mixing in Dickens here, but work with me. I'm facing a deadline).

Let's see who these guys now are... appears to be an important name missing...

image.thumb.png.2b6c09fead1d342052811d0b328d00c4.png

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

As appropriate for a Poe referenced theme we begin our stretch run trying to exorcise the ghost of Week 1 past (I know... I'm mixing in Dickens here, but work with me. I'm facing a deadline).

Let's see who these guys now are... appears to be an important name missing...

If you're talking Lamar- he's activated. Looks like players on the covid list aren't put on the depth chart.... 

I do not have this game as a Must Win on my schedule....but it's one that we'd all like to have.  The sooner we can get to 11 wins, the sooner the playoff tickets can be printed......so......that people can buy them and put them in a picture frame.

We need to win 2 of the next 4.  No sense putting off winning.  Might as well start with beating Baltimore.  One quarter of the season left.

I don't think it's a must win in terms of impact to the season but it's important for the team that they beat baltimore. We need to be able to be competitive with them in the coming years. The Steelers are who they are this year but Roethlisbeger is certainly on the back nine of his career and I suspect we'll be battling it out with the ravens in meaningful games for a longer period of time. 

5 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

... it's important for the team that they beat baltimore.

This... because it would:

• build on big win #1...
  • put Week 1 to rest...
  • best a divisional rival who has had our number for a long time.

In short it would build confidence.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I do not have this game as a Must Win on my schedule....but it's one that we'd all like to have.  The sooner we can get to 11 wins, the sooner the playoff tickets can be printed......so......that people can buy them and put them in a picture frame.

We need to win 2 of the next 4.  No sense putting off winning.  Might as well start with beating Baltimore.  One quarter of the season left.

Well....in all probability there would not be a playoff game in Cleveland.....so I don't think they will be printing tickets any time soon.   They would be the away team for all games. 

Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the entire NFL gone to like digital tickets.   No paper/cardboard tickets sold anymore, so no printing!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

This... because it would:

• build on big win #1...
  • put Week 1 to rest...
  • best a divisional rival who has had our number for a long time.

In short it would build confidence.

Or, best of all....because we want to see the Browns kick their asses just for the sake of doing that. 

• Upvote 1

This game could benefit us a lot. The Ravens have to play tonight against the Cowboys, then they have to play us on a full week of prepping. If we win this game that will make it even better as the season comes closer to the end. And its at home on a Monday night.

• Upvote 1

Not only that, but I feel like even if they beat the Cowboys, Ravens have had a bad losing streak, they have lost last 3 games, 4 of the last 5. Meanwhile, we have won 4 of last 5 games.

There is momentum in games, but also during seasons, and the Browns should be able to seize it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Interesting - Browns pick up a WR - with speed ...to stretch the field a good bit.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-claim-wr-marvin-hall-off-waivers-from-lions/

Fast? Yes... image.png.b28a610553f9f754cf6f6383b898aef6.png, but Lions gave up on him because he's a body catcher and an unwilling blocker.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Interesting - Browns pick up a WR - with speed ...to stretch the field a good bit.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-claim-wr-marvin-hall-off-waivers-from-lions/

Put him in the slot for a handful of plays each game and send him deep see if the Nickle and safety can catch him.  

We have plenty of chain movers and we do need a field stretcher 

• Upvote 1

Another player to cause a threat to their defense. The more we have running down field or short over the middle players we have , the more options we have to throw to. Gain yards for every play, plus 2 running back threats also, look out, here comes the BROWNS.

17 hours ago, Orion said:

I'd feel a lot better beating the Ravens than losing to them. For this reason. Assume they beat South America's Team tonight (likely). Ravens beat us on MNF- it's not inconceivable they could run the table with remaining games against the Jaguars, Giants and Bengals. Puts them at 11-5.   Browns beat Giants and Jets, but lose to the Steelers the last game...  11-5. Ravens win the head to head tiebreaker. Not good.  As to paper tickets- see below.   

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....in all probability there would not be a playoff game in Cleveland.....so I don't think they will be printing tickets any time soon.   They would be the away team for all games. 

Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the entire NFL gone to like digital tickets.   No paper/cardboard tickets sold anymore, so no printing!!

For the Browns to host a playoff game this year there would have to be an unbelievable string of upsets, but as the #5 seed it's theoretically possible. (Seeds 1-4 all lose somehow) And if that came to pass- who would get first dibs on the extremely limited number of tickets? It would have to go on season ticket seniority.  

:) I do have my paper World Series tickets when the Indians made it there way back in the day, haven't gotten around to framing them.... But I've heard for an obscene fee, you can get a facsimile paper ticket from your game. I'd think for the Super Bowl, that will be a given. 

Like anything else NFL related, rules do not apply to the Patriots. Here's photographic proof from last years game in Foxboro.   

eL0yiCARYQzYMVtX8scJb1IhkjEA9TaddWhltXKNEnv7OhT9zm9BrIQEPrGFAoPKem7HKcWH3WOebj0X2YP4tHdn8z83fzp1UfCiQcRHOwNFsdAD4QSuqmyWBECP_s_a32cgSPwZtD_OflofdZ9ZZ9jYVhwfyKiF_LhDaYt1yTAOnBo7dQQk0FxFuUeMNvqV9wmj5jt7jBJjVfuTop6S_GBCtbfkzIf1Oc6NW8AN0WbjJzeyi8lwgpLYLoPp75nEbxzI--ji1XDBpQMtFMp4zF4dGWIMTVKXmBUvLp3rt8todm_I2BMxgWhPv7prtPqeeHmNkm3J_mf8wdFu1gZTQLFXyHPtuWi1HXvHS_nWSs44u_JeLNh_VJ7EZq1A3kbnOczkL-iNeOowyDFlAoRx1DHrWC3ePPHqQJi4vXjmK0Pj-4-rJnq8RHyHUJUp6HUZ7C0Jb62w7hovg4X5hNvw-njaGS2qGP_zCGxNtcLsExkTrAyL5GOI8aB5Es7II7MpLO5T1lWcTUrNaqKlY1dOJuT8JvjkH00wXO8Gq2SGd0p0Y-0S0NnfBUbOb__E8nR55YCJmdGDnNs6bI1ZUR_WO802CcyYPG4AhJd8P4ajWf2CLCJuo9XmUv9U6AXyiZCsbBBcKjspZHD1PHM4fn_eLX1IBYARWuZic-nApp1xa2JiZJ0fpfqej1DCD3cZ=w576-h767-no?authuser=0

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I'd feel a lot better beating the Ravens than losing to them. For this reason.

100% agree.....but I assign Must Win games to the schedule a few days before the season starts.....big picture.  

Right now, they're all must win because we actually HAVE A SHOT at making the playoffs.  (2020 is full of craziness)  And there's no guarantee that one (or both, God forbid) of the NY teams hand us an egg wearing loss.  (I have those two NY games as Must Win)

- thanks for the instruction on finding members.  I'd like all of us 'old timer' Browns fans to be around enjoying these wins.

Scoutin' the Ravens tonite as I am sure most here are. Random thoughts...

• Ex-Brown LJ Fort... I've seen him a couple times this year. I liked him the year he was with us and I still do.
  • Overall the Ravens D doesn't impress even with Covid pieces back... Humphrey looks positively ordinary.

Offensively?

• I'd like to see Ward back to match up against their "Hollywood".
  • Their run game looks containable, but Dobbins does seem to be settling into the NFL.
  • Then there's Jackson... don't know who we have to spy him... using an LB, any LB, is a wasted assignment. Only way may be to score early and often and make him throw the ball, which often isn't pretty. This approach has worked for us before... early 2019 IIRC... and we're more capable of jumping out to a lead now.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

100% agree.....but I assign Must Win games to the schedule a few days before the season starts.....big picture.  

Right now, they're all must win because we actually HAVE A SHOT at making the playoffs.  (2020 is full of craziness)  And there's no guarantee that one (or both, God forbid) of the NY teams hand us an egg wearing loss.  (I have those two NY games as Must Win)

- thanks for the instruction on finding members.  I'd like all of us 'old timer' Browns fans to be around enjoying these wins.

The MNF game is a must win if we don't want the Ravens too close in the rearview mirror for comfort.... :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After watching the Dallas / Ratbirds game, I'm confident we will win on Monday night. The Ratbirds just beat the 32nd ranked defense, and looked like crap doing it. If we can't destroy them on Monday, we have no business even thinking playoffs. Jackson still can't throw the ball, so if we can keep them from running for 300 yards on us, they have no chance. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Scoutin' the Ravens tonite as I am sure most here are. Random thoughts... 

• Overall the Ravens D doesn't impress even with Covid pieces back... 

Got my eyes on these two 👀...

Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams are both active, giving a major boost to Baltimore's defensive line. Campbell has missed three games since injuring his calf Nov. 8 against the Indianapolis Colts, while Williams has missed the last two games with an ankle injury suffered Nov. 15 against the New England Patriots.

Calais.. looked like he should not* have been playing in the 2nd half vs. Boyz... short week for Ravens...(luck matters) 

Same game plan Ball Control 40/30 Pass Run.  

Make Lamar throw outside of the hashes.  3rd and Long maintain rush lanes.  Make sure we communicate back 7 with our zone scheme. Is Mark Andrews coming back?

If we win the toss let’s Receive and try to jump on them early.  The Ravens are a very good team with the lead and I believe slightly below average without the lead. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, lodilobo said:

After watching the Dallas / Ratbirds game, I'm confident we will win on Monday night. The Ratbirds just beat the 32nd ranked defense, and looked like crap doing it. If we can't destroy them on Monday, we have no business even thinking playoffs. Jackson still can't throw the ball, so if we can keep them from running for 300 yards on us, they have no chance. 

I am hopeful but not that confident.  The Browns have won a lot of games but not easily.  They are going to have a hard time with Jackson

Sucks we have to wait till Monday night to watch this. But glad we get a primetime slot.

Having watched the last 5 games of ours several times now(highlights mostly) I am more impressed with our secondary that I was at the time I watched the games live. Our first 6 games or so our defense seemed to be dependent upon nicely timed turnovers. Like the Eagles game where they were on the 5 yard line and he dropped the ball. Or the numerous strip sacks by Garret early in the year. But as of late, our secondary(without Ward mind you) have been stepping up. Lots of last minute tips of the ball to deny the receiver or a good hit. 

With Garret back and in good form, combined with an energized Vernon and our secondary not sucking, I feel good about how we can at least contain their offense. After watching the highlights of the Dallas game, they are a far cry from the team we faced in game 1. It's like they stagnated and everyone else improved.. PLUS.. I noticed that Dallas did what the teams that were able to have limited success last season against the Rats.. And that was sealing the outside and forcing Jackson to run inside.. He burned Dallas on 1 play where nobody was shadowing him. But they seemed to keep him in check.. So I feel good about our defense being able to keep them from running away with it, it all comes down to our Run defense... And that is a weak spot for us. As well as short/medium routes. But we are getting better in my opinion.  We are better than Dallas.. And Dallas did a decent job of containing their run game, save a few home runs..

Where we will win this game(yes that is my prediction) is on offense. Best way to keep Jackson off the field is to control the ball and the clock. And we are perfectly equipped to do this. I expect a return to form and that is the run first strategy. Expect a slow start as we work on wearing their line down. IF Jackson does his run thing(or the rookie running back), expect that Rat Birds will be quickly scoring on their side.. On our side we will run, pick them apart with short routes(like Dallas did effectively) and run the clock and wear their defensive front down. With Baltimore either scoring quickly or being forced to punt quickly, their Defense is going to have a long day with our FIRST RATED offensive line. We will man handle them in the trenches and force them to pull another man into the box. At which point Baker will be able to go over the top and keep the chains moving... 

I am not nearly as afraid of this game as I was 5 or 6 weeks ago. I had this game as a solid LOSS for us going into the final stretch.. This is a very winnable game, even more so than last week. I think the Titans are a more formidable team and we picked them apart. Baltimore at this point is a shadow of the team we faced 10 or 11 weeks ago.

Browns 35 RatBirds 28

BobPound!

• Upvote 2

No practice reports as yet, but Injury Updates are out... and the lists are long for every team. Looks like a data dump of the season history or at least players with an ongoing status.

image.thumb.png.abd654f8874b44f957d7cae86c6f1fa6.png

image.thumb.png.f13a63a0f3fbeeff55dbfd05569fd1c4.png

6 hours ago, alporcini said:

Is Judon on the Covid list? 

Ravens announce two Pro Bowl players -- tight end Mark Andrews and outside linebacker Matthew Judon -- were activated off the reserve/COVID-19 list. Both will be available for Monday night's game at the Cleveland Browns.