THE BROWNS BOARD

Harrison "iffy" for Saturday

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

According to Steve Doerschuk:

- James Davis was back on the field after a visit to the dentist knocked him out of a couple practices. He is likely to play at Green Bay, but Jerome Harrison is iffy because of an undisclosed injury.

If Harrison doesn't play, the coaching staff will have an interesting decision to make about how much to play Davis. Previously, it was assumed that Davis would serve as a second half bell cow during the preseason games, allowing the coaching staff to get a better a sense of what they have in the rookie 6th round pick. But now that there's increasing speculation that Davis will be a part of the regular season running back rotation, the team will have to both make sure that he can excel in game situations and that they don't overexpose him to injury.

For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Davis received some reps with the first team but ceded most of the second half work to Noah Herron. And I'll be interested to see if Davis starts eating into what was assumed to be Harrison's niche, the 3rd down back job (according to Grossi, Davis has been better than Harrison at blitz pickup, though he wasn't better the day I was at camp).

According to Steve Doerschuk:

For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Davis received some reps with the first team ...........

i hope so. He has been exciting. Let's throw this kid in the fire and see how he responds. To me, the wild card is how well he can picks up the blitz. i sure don't want our QB getting killed out there in order to get him some plays under his belt. That would be my only hesitation.

Crumbs. I was. Hoping to see Harrison in some 1st team situations.

I agree. Although Davis is the next and latest up-and-comer (from the long lines of Travis Prentice, James Jackson and Benjamin Gay), I'd love to see what Harrison can do if given a real shot. Bummer.

Doesn't it seem like Harrison gets hurt quite a bit? Starting to wonder if he can handle first down work load.

Harrison cant handle a first down workload he is more of an option back i was looking forward to watching him get some action but im looking forward to seeing davis as well..;)

Guest Masters
Harrison cant handle a first down workload he is more of an option back i was looking forward to watching him get some action but im looking forward to seeing davis as well..;)

What he did in college would go against that thought.

When a guy hasn't seen really any action in the NFL, it's all speculation on what he can handle. I think the guy could be a primary back.

i hope so. He has been exciting. Let's throw this kid in the fire and see how he responds. To me, the wild card is how well he can picks up the blitz. i sure don't want our QB getting killed out there in order to get him some plays under his belt. That would be my only hesitation.

Agreed. To me, this is a bigger concern to me than his running skills. We need someone to step up into that role with Jason Wright gone. Harrison has been doing well with the pickup in practice (from what I've read anyway), but we've yet to see it on the field.

Understood for this year. I'm thinking its all he'll ever be. In other words, not a Jamal replacement.

Doesn't it seem like Harrison gets hurt quite a bit? Starting to wonder if he can handle first down work load.

Don't remember Harrison being hurt much. I just remember him playing his ass off in the preseason and then get shut down once the real games began.

I don't think any of us know if he is just a 3rd down back or he can be a great change of pace back. I hope he gets the chance to show every one so we aren't trying to guess again this year.

An FYI on Harrison he had 308 carries in 11 games his senior year at Washington State. He averaged 28 carries for 172 yards per game. He had more touches and yards than Reggie Bush and they were the two first team Pac 10 all conference RBs, ahead of LenDale White and Maurice Jones-Drew. He can handle the load.

College is an entirely different matter. I like Harrison, and I'd like to see him get the ball in the flat or on pitches, but he has never shown to have any more strength than Northcutt. I would be very hesitant to make him an every down back.

-Al

Archived