THE BROWNS BOARD

Don't jump BE

Greythan

I've noticed all too often that BE will elevate on throws that don't require jumping. If he'd simply reached up on the dropped TD it would have been a routine catch. However, when he jumped the ball ended up right at shoulder level and the ball "ate him up" so to speak. Not an excuse as even jumping he should have caught it, but he continually gets himself in poor body positions by jumping when he doesn't have to.

Can't you just see Jerry Rice running smoothly along the back line and reaching up effortlessly to catch that pass?

Guest Aloysius

I think he had to jump. To me, the ball looked to be at his face mask, not shoulder level. And because the defensive back leapt for the ball, I can see why his first instinct was to jump for it as well.

Still should have caught it, though.

Edwards said Quinn put the ball where it was supposed to be. "I'm used to jumping, and I didn't need to leave my feet," he said.

At least he manned up in an unexcusable excuse...

As did BQ...

He said the interception throw behind Edwards was "a poor decision on my part. You have to come away with at least a field goal there. I apologized to my teammates.

While DA eludes to yet another excuse for his poor decision:

He said on the interception, he got hit in the knee as he threw and "the ball just kind of fluttered in the air."

From Grossi's article:

But on second down from the 6, Quinn fired for Edwards at the back of the end zone. Edwards leaped, which he always does, and dropped the ball. On the next play, Quinn threw behind Edwards and was intercepted by safety Anthony Smith.

Edwards said Quinn put the ball where it was supposed to be. "I'm used to jumping, and I didn't need to leave my feet," he said.

Guest Aloysius

Fair enough. When I went back & checked on the DVR, the ball did appear to be at his face mask. But he probably should have just reached up instead of jumping for it. And he did the right thing in taking full responsibility for the drop.

What caught my attention right away is where the ball was on his body when he dropped it: torso.

He does that all the time and drops a lot of balls in that position. Should never be in the air to receive a pass that is going to his your chest/stomach. Indicates a poorly timed jump or a bad decision altogether.

I think he had to jump. To me, the ball looked to be at his face mask, not shoulder level. And because the defensive back leapt for the ball, I can see why his first instinct was to jump for it as well.

He's starting to make me think someone has worse stonehands than Michael Jackson. What HAPPENED to this kid?

Another thing I've noticed with our receivers the last 2 years is they're often watching DBs close in on some catchable passes. Meaning? They aren't doing the SAME thing.

It's not always just the jump balls folks - your elite DBs in this country are on NFL teams because they possess this closing skill. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen receivers slowing up as they've witnessed DBs attempting to close on the ball. This is an innate reflex that needs to be worked out in practice IMO. I think this is correctable if we have the right coaches.

I need a second look at the INT in the end zone because I prolly had a few too many cold depressants in me. I thought I saw a decent pass leading the receiver who allowed the DB to close on the football. The difference? I don't know if the receiver was unaware of the DB or the DB was just more aggressive.

- Tom F.

WRONG. He did not have to jump and make "The Play". I have seen that play 100 times with Moss, TO or Steve Smith. They would of kept their f'cking feet on the ground and worried about the ball and not where I am going to land. What a f'cking pussy.

Looking at it again, I think BQ needed to put the ball more in front of BE. Just a little too far behind and that cost the INT. Nice for BQ to man up to his mistake. Too bad DA didn't do the same on his floater.

WHAT? It's Quinn's fault. Dude come on. BE is in the NFL. The great James Lofton always said "You touch it with one hand in the NFL, you catch it". BE had TWO hands on it.

WHAT? It's Quinn's fault. Dude come on. BE is in the NFL. The great James Lofton always said "You touch it with one hand in the NFL, you catch it". BE had TWO hands on it.

We're talking about the INT, not the drop. You're right about the drop. He should have caught that one, but the INT was thrown a bit behind BE.

-Al

Says "video no longer availabile"

Hmmm, still works for me.

Try going to NFL.com. There is a list of six videos with thumbnails right there on the homepage. Last thumbnail in the list is titled "Brady Quinn Highlights."

-Al

Guest Masters
Actually watching from the camera behind Quinn, I don't think that he should have ever attempted that second throw. That's all on Quinn.

Still looks to me like with a good throw (meaning planting his feet and getting behind the throw, rather than jump/hop throw), he could thread that in there to the receivers hands. It was man coverage after all.

Still looks to me like with a good throw (meaning planting his feet and getting behind the throw, rather than jump/hop throw), he could thread that in there to the receivers hands. It was man coverage after all.

I agree. He had that nice pass to Furrey on the slant and could have made the TD if it had been an accurate throw.

-Al

Archived