THE BROWNS BOARD

Defense

eqrulz101

Our defense looked like swiss cheese. So far Ive only seen the first half but man did we look horrible. No pressure, couldnt stop the run and getting beat deep. Man our defense is something to worry about. I think if BQ started the whole first half you would have seen some points on the board. Our defense on the other hand had nothing that looked good. My only hope is that Rogers makes that big of a difference, but if he does we are in trouble. What happens if he gets hurt? Our season is down the tubes? You have to get better pressure then what we got and you cant give up the deep ball.

Good Point. What the hell is the point of having a 3-4 defense if can't even apply pressure. We can't even stop the run either. I thought Kenyon Coleman was labeled as one of the better run stuffing ends in the league and he didn't show that tonight. Wimbley looked kinda decent but we kept blitzing with 7 or 8 guys including a cornerback and safety. If that's the only way to get to a quarterback then we're gunna have a long season. The secondary looks really bad as we were burned for that touchdown by Donald Driver. I know its the begining of the season, but maybe we should start thinking about a 4-3 defense cause the 3-4 just ain't working.

WHAT WAS THAT? is that the question? It's the same thing I have been seeing for years now. No run D, No pass rush, stupid penalties, and db's that let guys run bye them.. Thank goodness it's preseason and we have time to straighten things out.. but it does not look promising..I have said the past 2 offseasons we need to beef up the DL.and all we do is bring in more journeyman. we have no talent beyond rogers... SOMEBODY prove me wrong on this team ...please.

These guys praising Wimbley on other threads are embarassing. He played like crap.

They say "he was all over the place." So what? He chased down a QB and almost got to him. He chased down a couple of ball carriers laterally from behind. He didn't make any plays. Mosley made a couple of plays and Francies made one.

i refrained from criticizing Wimbley much last year because of his good rookie showing. Other than having big muscles and an ability to run down players from behind, he's shown me nothing. How can you play LB your whole life at the levels that he's played, and not be able to shed a block?

The only hope I have is that we weren't showing anything on defense, just playing a basic vanilla defense because we play Green Bay in the regular season.

I hope that is the case because we've read how the defense is going to be more aggressive this year and on the first 3rd and 10 we rushed 3 and dropped everyone else and even had Wimbley in the middle of the field covering no one, it looked like he was shadowing Rodgers so he didn't run but I don't think anyone is ever going to confuse Aaron Rodgers with Michael Vick or Randall Cunningham.

I hope that is the case with the defense anyways and that we will see things differently when the games count. Otherwise, it's going to be a long season.

The only hope I have is that we weren't showing anything on defense, just playing a basic vanilla defense because we play Green Bay in the regular season.

We say this every year Mark. "Maybe we're saving it for the regular season, and not showing our hand." Talent is talent, and while schemes open up opportunities for players, the good defenses make plays out of vanilla. What you see is what you get. Saying we're saving things for the regular season is a cop out, IMO.

We say this every year Mark. "Maybe we're saving it for the regular season, and not showing our hand." Talent is talent, and while schemes open up opportunities for players, the good defenses make plays out of vanilla. What you see is what you get. Saying we're saving things for the regular season is a cop out, IMO.

It could very well be the same as every year. That's why I said it's my hope that isnt' the case this time because we've been hearing how we're going to have a more aggressive defense this year and I didn't see that last night. I didn't see us blitzing after the first play of the game which looked good when we stopped him for a couple yard loss.

The only other difference is this preseason we play 3 teams that we're going to see in the regular season, I would think that we should be careful not to show too much to teams that we're going to see again. Of course, it doesn't excuse our offense not being able to score against a defense that probably wasn't showing us much either.

No matter what the case...this defense isn't going to be a top 10 defense this year, we need to hope that we can at least be a middle of the pack defense and hopefully improve towards next season. It's another reason to hope that Quinn is the answer, we don't need to spend another 1st round draft pick on a QB when we could use a stud linebacker or d-lineman.

Take the shotgun out of your mouth.... these don't count for about a month or so...

If you're not worried after last night, then I'm not sure what game you were watching........................

These guys praising Wimbley on other threads are embarassing. He played like crap.

They say "he was all over the place." So what? He chased down a QB and almost got to him. He chased down a couple of ball carriers laterally from behind. He didn't make any plays. Mosley made a couple of plays and Francies made one.

i refrained from criticizing Wimbley much last year because of his good rookie showing. Other than having big muscles and an ability to run down players from behind, he's shown me nothing. How can you play LB your whole life at the levels that he's played, and not be able to shed a block?

Kam was Phil's Courtney Brown and Gerard Warren

If you're not worried after last night, then I'm not sure what game you were watching........................

Why should I be worried? The Browns played like trash the last two preseasons and had two totally different outcomes to each season.

The problem is overreacting fans that think that less than a half of a game of starters is going to be some kind of look into the future.

Haven't you learned anything from watching the NFL?

My favorite complaint so far is the run defense....They were without their pro bowl NT! Give it some time before getting worried.

Why should I be worried? The Browns played like trash the last two preseasons and had two totally different outcomes to each season.

The problem is overreacting fans that think that less than a half of a game of starters is going to be some kind of look into the future.

Haven't you learned anything from watching the NFL?

My favorite complaint so far is the run defense....They were without their pro bowl NT! Give it some time before getting worried.

A lot of crap about a bunch of guys that won't even make our team. Time to chill a bit. They were rotating guys out from the first team after two series of downs and Rogers didn't even suit up.

Do you expect continuity from an offense rotating QBs after only 8 days of practice. How about a defense that has 5 new starters and didn't use their nickle or dime packages they show in practice. They laid back on defense, which won't happen in a real game under Rob Ryan.

Here's a prediction, you might see more of the same against Detroit. They aren't going to go into their blitz packages against teams they play in the real season. And, like Ryan said after the game. We have to see how our basic defense can hold up before we know what we need to do to attack teams. He said they purposely stayed in basic defenses no matter what the down and distance was. Normally they would have substituded into their nickle and dime packages. Elam wouldn't have even been on the field when he blew the coverage for the TD. The defense would have been Hood and/or Ivy and only one safety Pool). Also, don't expect to see a 3 man rush used this year. Ryan said "tonight was about watching the LBs depth on their drops, we need to see if they can bring what they do in practice into the games".

As hard as it might be for some to realize, some of what they did was for a cause. Some was purposeful. Some was a message.

There was one thing that did alarm me and that was the run blocking and how slow our backs hit the hole. They also all want to bounce it outside instead of following their lead blocker when their was some daylight inside.

Some of what a lot on here are ranting about is a team in transition that isn't going to be on the same page in 8 days. Some was using basic packages on offense and defense. But, those things need to be done to see exactly what you have and where you are as a team. Guys who play well in shorts when their isn't any tackling need to show what they can do at full speed. The only way to do that is let them remain in their basic packages and see if they can handle it. Obviously, some guys failed at that. And, it is better to find out now if a guy can handle himself at full go.

Mangini learned a lot about his team. But, he purposely left guys out on an island and in one on one situations to see how they handled it. Again, some failed.

Rob Ryan's defense is based on game planning for what a team brings. This game was about evaluations and not schemes. Same with the offense. Could they put a hat on a hat and run the ball? They didn't care how the Packers lined up. They wanted to see if they could run the ball when the other team knew they were going to.

If you didn't like game one, then don't watch game two because it will be much of the same, running basic formations and putting guys in one on one situations. You most likely won't see any nickle or dime packages on defense and you won't see many blitzes. On offense you won't see guards pulling or counter plays. It's going to be basic hat on a hat run blocking and can the backs pick up the blitzers.

Maybe some might want to close their eyes until game 3.

While I agree with all the reactionaries being out of line, there were still some things I saw that worry me.

Wimbley still looks to me like he's lost with no savvy. Pool still looks like he just doesn't get it. Corey Williams is the slowest 3/4 end in football, that dude must run a 5.9 in the 40.

I did like Rubin.

Archived