THE BROWNS BOARD

WR competition?

NashEQ

Why doesn't Edwards have to compete for his spot as the number one receiver? Every other position is open for competition, why is he still the #1? I'm so tired of seeing him drop ball after ball regardless of who's throwing to him, and I hate the fact he's getting to "go-to" routes every play. Mangini loves competition so much, why can't Edwards slide down the depth chart too?

I'm well aware that the current NFL game is much more cerebral that it was 10 yrs ago & definitely much more than your backyard pickup game, but at what point do you stop discussing polish, route running, size, prototypes, etc., and just start throwing to the guy who makes plays every time he touches the ball (Cribbs)?

I'm nearly done with the BE experiment.

Why doesn't Edwards have to compete for his spot as the number one receiver? Every other position is open for competition, why is he still the #1? I'm so tired of seeing him drop ball after ball regardless of who's throwing to him, and I hate the fact he's getting to "go-to" routes every play. Mangini loves competition so much, why can't Edwards slide down the depth chart too?

This hasn't been popular this summer - BUT I'd like to see Cribbs' role expand in the passing game. He just has to breathe to upgrade Stallworth from a year ago. Seriously though, he's dangerous in open fields and he can turn some short passes into LONG YAC. I can't think of a better way to beat a zone blitz than with a guy like Cribbs.

Our best 2 WRs the other night were Cribbs and Furrey. MoMass and Robo reperesnt a ton of promise. That said, I haven't seen a lot of rookie WRs beside Torry Holt, Randy Moss and Marques Colston tearing it up in their rookie years.

This would make a nice initial trio: Edwards, Furrey and Cribbs. I'm sure the rookies will get their share of reps too; but it would be tough to over-rely on them early in a division featuring the zone blitz schemes. The quality of coaching will have alot to do with how quickly they can get it and emerge. I like what I've seen and heard so far though.

- Tom F.

Funny thing is, Hubbard is about the same size, speed and hands and costs a whole lot less.

I didn't like the Edwards pick from day 1 because of the drops going back to Michigan.

Right now Robo and MoMass are looking good as #1 and #2 if Braybray can't get his head out of his ass.

Edwards is going to be just fine. He did that just to get it out of the way in the preseason.. and to mess with all of us.. He's a star.... and the only one on the roster that can command a double team. That's a fact.

I respectfully disagree. I really hope your remarks are made with tongue firmly in cheek. Double team or not, Braylon, more than ANY player on this team, knew what he needed to do this year & not only did he drop the ball, he also allowed an interception (by giving up on a play) that he could /should have broken up. I don't see him ever realizing his potential (which is great).... he lacks the pride & competitive spirit to BE great.

He may command a double team now, but when opposing teams see that his dropping passes is a PATTERN, they'll realize that double teaming him is NOT really necessary....I fully expected him to come out full of pride & determination to perform well early in this preseason...I was wrong. He either lacks the aforementioned qualities or just doesn't want to be a Brown. It's time to quit wasting time on him.

Mike

Edwards is going to be just fine. He did that just to get it out of the way in the preseason.. and to mess with all of us.. He's a star.... and the only one on the roster that can command a double team. That's a fact.

Fact #1 He led the league in dropped passes last year. Even in his Pro Bowl year he had an inordinate number of drops.

Fact #2 Edwards was known to have dropitis coming out of Michigan, so there's a trend that's yet to be corrected.

Opinion #1 What good is it for a guy to beat double teams, and be open by five yards if he can't hold on to the freaking ball?

Fact #3 Your #1 wideout generally has very reliable hands. If there's any Squealer vermin lurking you think they'd trade Hines Ward for Edwards right now? I doubt it. LOL, to get Fitzgerald off the Cardinals, we'd have to give them Edwards, AND a first round pick. :)

If that flub in the end zone on a perfect pass was an aberration, I'd be willing to cut him way more slack, but how many times have we seen him drop perfectly thrown balls? Making two or three circus catches a year does not (in my book) make up for the dozen turkeys that nine out of ten high school kids can catch.

Yeah, I'm spoiled- Ozzie Newsome probably dropped fewer passes in his career than Edwards dropped last year. If the Giants offered Coco-nuts a first rounder right now for Edwards (they're not that stupid) I take that in a heartbeat.

he WANTS to be a star...he is no such thing.

and if he keeps up his present course, not only will not be commanding double coverage, i doubt they'd even cover him.

From a Canton Rep. Doerschuk article on (what else?) the QB's:

Speaking of physical, wideout Joshua Cribbs gave linebacker Kamerion Wimbley all he could handle on one blocking assignment Monday. Cribbs, a former Kent State quarterback, was called on to throw a trick pass on a pitch from Anderson, but the play got blown up by a blitz.
Knock Wimbley's pass rush all you want, but the guy is an athlete and according to this report, Cribbs took him out of the play.

We are doomed to failure as a team if we don't let this kid get on the field and stiff-arm every all-pro DB in the league.

The national media has us pegged as a cellar dwellar.

This Board has systematically picked apart almost every position on the team.

Yet we remain optimistic that a winning season is within reach. Was 2007 a fluke?

The WR position was addressed with some fairly high draft picks, meaning the Browns were well aware of our deficiancies at that position.

This team is looking for its new leaders to step forward, BE is BE and i sure would like to know what was really offered for him.(not just heresay)

Preseason is just preseason, but it should be an eyeopener for all. Mangini let his players get whipped to show them the work they still need to do, i'm not saying he didn't try and win just that they needed to see there is alot of work still left to be competitive.

Apart from the QB position and a handful of others there are still alot of starters who cannot afford to let up if thet want to keep there job.

I really don't care if Mangini's pissing the players off, they need to earn his and our respect after what's been going on in Cle since we came back.

I'm done ranting for now :rolleyes:

The national media has us pegged as a cellar dwellar.

This Board has systematically picked apart almost every position on the team.

Yet we remain optimistic that a winning season is within reach. Was 2007 a fluke?

The WR position was addressed with some fairly high draft picks, meaning the Browns were well aware of our deficiancies at that position.

This team is looking for its new leaders to step forward, BE is BE and i sure would like to know what was really offered for him.(not just heresay)

Preseason is just preseason, but it should be an eyeopener for all. Mangini let his players get whipped to show them the work they still need to do, i'm not saying he didn't try and win just that they needed to see there is alot of work still left to be competitive.

Apart from the QB position and a handful of others there are still alot of starters who cannot afford to let up if thet want to keep there job.

I really don't care if Mangini's pissing the players off, they need to earn his and our respect after what's been going on in Cle since we came back.

I'm done ranting for now :rolleyes:

The Browns continue to play as they did against Green Bay, there's no doubt in my mind that they'll be cellar dwellers. If they let some no-names rack up 200+ yards rushing last Saturday, look out Jamal- your game record rushing yards is in serious jeopardy when Adrian Peterson comes to town. :) And a friendly reminder- the Browns have generally played like s**t in the opener of late.

The Browns continue to play as they did against Green Bay, there's no doubt in my mind that they'll be cellar dwellers. If they let some no-names rack up 200+ yards rushing last Saturday, look out Jamal- your game record rushing yards is in serious jeopardy when Adrian Peterson comes to town. :) And a friendly reminder- the Browns have generally played like s**t in the opener of late.

AD already took care of that one.

Archived