THE BROWNS BOARD

Could Corey Williams get traded?

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Among the scouts observing the game was Marty Hurney, general manager of the Carolina Panthers. Carolina is very thin at defensive tackle and is said to be considering signing free agent Dewayne Robertson, formerly of the Jets. I wouldn't be surprised if 4-3 defensive teams take a look at the play of Browns' Corey Williams in the preseason. Williams, currently listed as the starting left end, could be available if coaches conclude he'll never be effective in the Browns' two-gap 3-4 defensive scheme.

Link

I wonder what kind of value Williams has on the trade market. His contract might scare away some teams, but the Panthers are pretty desperate.

Assuming that the Browns could find a decent replacement (Kevin Carter? Vonnie Holliday?), I wouldn't be at all opposed to trading him for a 3rd round pick, perhaps even a 4th and 6th.

Guest Aloysius

More speculation from The Charlotte Observer:

Browns' DL Williams a possible Panther?

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney is scouting the Cleveland-Green Bay exhibition tonight, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Hurney couldn't immediately be reached for comment, but potentially could be checking out Browns' defensive lineman Corey Williams as a prospect to fill Carolina's need for a veteran defensive tackle.

One big issue, however: Could the Panthers fit Williams' $1.7 million base salary under their salary cap? (His base salary grows to $4.2 million in 2010).

Williams had two standout years as a 4-3 defensive tackle for Green Bay in 2006 and 2007. The Packers put their franchise tag on him and traded him to Cleveland for a second-round pick in February 2008.

Williams (6-4, 320 pounds) didn't seem to fit as well as a defensive end in Cleveland's 3-4 scheme while having a less-than-spectacular season last year.

There has been quiet speculation that the Browns might be willing to part ways with Williams if he doesn't perform better in the 3-4 scheme. For the Panthers to get him, they'd almost certainly have to trade for him. It's hard to imagine the Browns waiving him and getting nothing in return, but even if they did, the Panthers would be far too low down the waiver list after last year's 12-4 finish to realistically have a chance to get a defensive lineman of his caliber.

Stay tuned on this one.

As middle linebacker Jon Beason said earlier today, the Panthers "definitely" need to obtain a veteran defensive tackle to help replace starter Maake Kemoeatu, who suffered a season-ending Achilles tendon tear in the first practice of training camp Aug. 3.

-- Charles Chandler

My thinking on this is if something were to happen, Charoltte might want to trade some salary to fit Williams, so I would look for a player for player deal rather than a trade involving picks.

I wonder if Charlotte has some depth at right side blocker?? I might have to check their roster.

Trade him to Detroit for the guy I wanted. "sniff" "whine". Detroit drafted him in the fourth round...

Sammie Lee Hill (DT)

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 329

College: Stillman

Conference: Southern

Hometown: West Blockton, AL

High School: West Blockton

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 5.17 seconds

Bench Press : 27.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 28.0 inches

Broad Jump : 109.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 7.89 seconds

Selected by: Detroit Lions

Round: 4

Pick (Overall): 15 (115)

Discuss Pick Analysis: At the Senior Bowl, Hill left everyone talking. He's big, strong and fast. When you take a player from a small school like Stillman, there's a learning curve. Hill needed a destination where he could develop, and that's a strong suit of new Lions coach Jim Schwartz. This is a Cortland Finnegan-type pick -- a player Schwartz helped to develop at Tennessee.

Guest Aloysius
My thinking on this is if something were to happen, Charoltte might want to trade some salary to fit Williams, so I would look for a player for player deal rather than a trade involving picks.

I wonder if Charlotte has some depth at right side blocker?? I might have to check their roster.

I don't think they do. They lost their two best backups in free agency: center Geoff Hangartner and guard/tackle Frank Omiyale.

And because they run a 4-3, I don't think they have any front seven players that would interest us. Charles Johnson is good, but he may not be athletic enough to play outside linebacker in a 3-4.

I don't think they do. They lost their two best backups in free agency: center Geoff Hangartner and guard/tackle Frank Omiyale.

And because they run a 4-3, I don't think they have any front seven players that would interest us. Charles Johnson is good, but he may not be athletic enough to play outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Robaire smith looked healthy which gives the Browns plenty of depth at DL to trade Williams. I would rather have a pick then a backup moving from another team.

I not real sure about William's cap hit if he was traded. Might be too high to even trade him. He did get a hell of a contract when he came over and a lot of up front money if I remember correctly.

Guest Aloysius

From Doerschuk's blog:

Defensive end Corey Williams revealed today that the shoulder injury with which he played last season, never missing a start, occurred within months of joining the Browns, during spring practice in 2008.

Williams confesses that he still identifies more with a 4-3 front than the 3-4 he has been in the last two training camps. “I miss that (a 4-3) a lot lot,” he said.

He seems to have a good attitude about doing what he can in a 3-4.

Archived