THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoffs = Defense wins championships

Orion

IMO, it's once you get to the playoffs where defense can be the separator.  You've already got a pretty good offense if you make it to the playoffs.

Our D could not come up with a punt on a 3rd and 14.   (of course, our offense didn't do well enough to beat the Chiefs either)

I think we have to look at CB & Safety again in the offseason.  I don't think we can count on the guys we have (Ward, though I love his play, and Greedy Williams) to stay healthy during a football season.  Ya can't have enough good CB's anyway.

We've also got to address LB'er and edge rusher.  But we've gotta get some DB's that can play.  

The most round team IMO is the Saints. But I see a GB-KC Superbowl... Led by offenses. 

I would rather say that you can't have an unit so bad as our LB-secondary to win it all. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

you can't have an unit so bad as our LB-secondary to win it all. 

Yup  If KC didn't get us, Buffalo or GB would've.  We're not quite there yet.  Berry's gotta sharpen his pencil for a little bit more piece gathering.

• Upvote 1

Our O has the potential to be dominant, but yes, a better D helps our chances to even go further in the future. Defense pairs well with a ground game... that's always been true. While we can improve our O further yet, clearly the wider, easier, more welcoming path to a team upgrade is on the D-side.

But in this passing league, when you have a devastating passing attack, then an "OK" D can take you pretty damn far.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

But in this passing league, when you have a devastating passing attack, then an "OK" D can take you pretty damn far.

Agreed.  I think that with someone who can play like OBJ we would have a good passing attack.  We already have a good running game.  Too bad we didn't get to see Greedy Williams again this year so that we could understand if he's really any good or not.  Same holds true for Delpit.

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Agreed.  I think that with someone who can play like OBJ we would have a good passing attack.  We already have a good running game.  Too bad we didn't get to see Greedy Williams again this year so that we could understand if he's really any good or not.  Same holds true for Delpit.

Who is this Greedy williams guy y'all are talking about?  

Clearly we need a serious upgrade on defense.   The offense was really good this year and with an off-season and training camp together, I think they will be even better on the offensive side of the ball.   I don't think we have more than 2 or 3 true starters on defense....the rest are all just guys and wouldn't be missed if they were all replaced.