THE BROWNS BOARD

Lack of confidence in this team is the norm for me.

Guest mz.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I actually had confidence in this franchise. It's literally been since 1994 (fifteen farking years!) since I've had a real confidence in this team's ability to make any noise whatsoever. I was a kid growing up on the mid-to-late 80's Browns. That was fun. This sucks balls. I guess I'm not pissed over last night's shitfest because I'm kind of used to this already, you know, fifteen years and counting. Looking forward to training camp and the draft, it's really all we have. Perhaps before I die we'll beat the piece of garbage Steelers again.

I'm suffering from Learned Helplessness. I literally just sit here and take the shock at this point.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I actually had confidence in this franchise. It's literally been since 1994 (fifteen farking years!) since I've had a real confidence in this team's ability to make any noise whatsoever. I was a kid growing up on the mid-to-late 80's Browns. That was fun. This sucks balls. I guess I'm not pissed over last night's shitfest because I'm kind of used to this already, you know, fifteen years and counting. Looking forward to training camp and the draft, it's really all we have. Perhaps before I die we'll beat the piece of garbage Steelers again.

I'm suffering from Learned Helplessness. I literally just sit here and take the shock at this point.

It has been rough i never lost confidence until the browns left but i havent had confidence in this club since 2002 sometimes i curse the day cleveland won the rights to the colors and franchise name browns otherwise i would be a confident baltimore browns fan....Muhahahaha!

Or maybe not...;)

Deal with it. Otherwise change teams. It's part of being a Browns fan. "it's good to suffer".

Bull**** I will always be a browns fan but saying that losing is fundamental to being a browns fan is bull. And if you like to suffer there are plenty of other ways to do that I guess Myself, I would like to have a good team

Bull**** I will always be a browns fan but saying that losing is fundamental to being a browns fan is bull. And if you like to suffer there are plenty of other ways to do that I guess Myself, I would like to have a good team

Dawg meet Lt. Fitts, Lt. Fitts Dawg

I was born in the late eighties....I know nothing but the misery that is the expansion era browns....

:(

I was born in the late eighties....I know nothing but the misery that is the expansion era browns....

:(

It was great fun, and gave me a very positive first exposure to football in general and the Browns in specific, but trust me, the Drive, Fumble, and Blowout were pretty miserable.

Oh to be 80 like rich4eagle to have seen the "real" Browns. :)

Nothing wrong with not having too much confidence in the team at any given moment--and I have to admit to having a bit of schadenfreude over the "Where's the defense?! Why isn't Quinn the starter right now?!" posts from the people who've spent the last several months celebrating the fact that the team finally has the right Belichick assistant who brought over half of his players--but it's important that we avoid becoming Red Sox fans. There's being disappointed, and then there's "See? I knew they would lose. Woe is me." It's hard not to be disappointed when the team sucks, so long as we don't celebrate the fact that we called the reason for their sucking, expect pity from others, or demand a championship in return for the fact that we accomplish the impressive feat of watching NFL games on television while wearing t-shirts.

Dennis

Basically, as long as we're not Bill Simmons, we should be okay.

Nothing wrong with not having too much confidence in the team at any given moment--and I have to admit to having a bit of schadenfreude over the "Where's the defense?! Why isn't Quinn the starter right now?!" posts from the people who've spent the last several months celebrating the fact that the team finally has the right Belichick assistant who brought over half of his players--but it's important that we avoid becoming Red Sox fans. There's being disappointed, and then there's "See? I knew they would lose. Woe is me." It's hard not to be disappointed when the team sucks, so long as we don't celebrate the fact that we called the reason for their sucking, expect pity from others, or demand a championship in return for the fact that we accomplish the impressive feat of watching NFL games on television while wearing t-shirts.

Dennis

Basically, as long as we're not Bill Simmons, we should be okay.

Dennis, I think you're a little too smart for us regular posters but thanks anyway for allowing us into your world.

Dennis, I think you're a little too smart for us regular posters but thanks anyway for allowing us into your world.

Well, I am pretty awesome, but my complaints come mostly from knowing how I watch games and the arguments I have with myself:

Announcer: Anderson drops back, he's holding the ball, holding, holding, throws it up for grabs, and it's intercepted!

Dennis: I knew that was going to happen.

Dennis: (one second later) Shut up, tool!

Dennis

I know where you are at mz the pussy...I think it is a part of maturing as a fan.

We go through stages as fans.

In the early years it is player driven. As kids we latch on to players as our heros of sorts, where they can do nothing wrong.

At some point we ditch the hero, posters on the wall deal but still maintain a youthful enthusiasm that keeps us thinking our team can somehow always manage to pull it out.

Then as we age a bit more we realize that football is just like anything else in life....it doesn't have to work out no matter how much we might want it to do so, but we still maintain a bit of the ra-ra for the team.

Then it leads to where I am at this point...we don't care for players at all other than if they help us win football games. It boils down to a saying of mine that I truly believe.....Anything less than a Super Bowl win is a failed season.

I don't know if that is the final phase of being a fan or if there is more....maybe it just becomes a big I don't care anymore and you quit following?

I have an idea of your age, and it sounds like you are starting to get slapped in the face by the old reality phase. Trust me, I had to get slapped a few times myself...we all did. That is a hard one as it requires the letting go of all you thought you knew about the team, the game, being a fan. It kind of sucks when you first realize that we don't have to win. There are no odds that sooner or later we will win.

We might always lose, and for the last 40 years or so, we have done a pretty good job of that.

As Daddy said...I saw championship seasons as I have some age myself.

However, I won't say I saw the real Browns. I saw the good Browns.

The real Browns are in the here and now.

It is what it is.

Learned Helplessness, mz the pussy, or is it Lerner Helplessness?

I'm a product of the mid-eighties so all I'm visually tuned to is letdown.

It's weird every time it's 3rd and long on defense or we have an instrumental down to convert on offense my subconscious still hasn't changed-

"Oh god oh god oh god, please don't f*ck up Browns!"

I'm 31 years old [from NE Ohio]. I can remember back... to the '85 season [and after]. Do you remember winning the division, often???

As we all know, it hurt pretty bad when the team moved. I was a floating, lost fan for few years.

The [Chris Palmer] expansion years were pretty rough. At least the Browns beat the Steelers, then! Huh?

2002 was an OK year, making it to the playoffs, but that's IT for the "expansion Browns." When is the expansion era going to end??? When???

I guess I got excited that the Browns were heading in the right direction in 2007, but it was a mirage. Then, the end of last season was as bad as it could be.

It's really getting sad waiting for another coaching regime, waiting for good draft picks, waiting for free agents, waiting for f--ing DIVISION WINS, etc!

The upside to the last 15 years is that all the weak Browns fans are being weeded out! I'm seeing Steelers, Patriots, and Giants clothes all over the place, here in Cincinnati (home of the worst bandwagon NFL fans, of all time, anywhere.) But if you're still sporting the Orange and Brown, after 15 years of pain, you can certainly call yourself a diehard Browns fan. (You have to be.) I have this eternal optimism that the Browns WILL become a powerhouse, once again... Just when?... Only God knows.

Archived