THE BROWNS BOARD

This Team Lacks Talent

Sony Reed

I really don't get how you can slam the panic button on one quarter of starters. The right side of line bothers me a little with hadnot being out b/c mangini really likes him and I see him starting. I didn't really see any of Mack so I can't judge on him and he is a rookie give it time. Braylon dropping balls is a little worrisome but then again he does that. David Bowens didn't even make the trip and SHAUN ROGERS DIDN'T PLAY. If we are looking like this into game 1 of the regular season then you can start questioning the preparedness of the team and whatever else you want. Until then please relax.

No NFL team lacks talent. They draft in inverse order of success and take the best college players. It wouldn't make any sense to say one team or another lacks talent. Ask any player -- every team has scads of gifted athletes.

The difference maker seems to be organizational, mostly continuity in ownership, head coach, offensive and defensive systems, and quarterback.

The cornerstone positions in football (tweaked for a 3-4) are left tackle, quarterback, #1 WR, pass rusher, nose tackle, and cover corner. The Browns have Thomas, Quinn, Edwards, Wimbley, Rogers, and Wright at those positions. Every single one but Wright was a first round pick, and right was, what? 33rd overall?

Does anybody think these guys lack talent? I certainly don't. I think the overall franchise needs to find, establish, and maintain identity and continuity from the top down. Before that happens, we'll be rebuilding every other year.

That is a Gomer statement.

Ok, sure, teams have talent.......but it is relative to the level of talent of the other teams..

Guys who get cut have talent.

Bottom line, we lack the talent to win.

We don't have the talent that other teams have.....does that make you feel better?

Relax Sony according to that Dawgpound03 guy on here he said that the Browns are better at nearly every position then the Steelers in terms of wideout,running back,and o-line. It's okay though at least you have the 9 NFL Championships back in the 50's and 60's to enjoy and winning the Ed Thorp Trophy...That's the problem with a lot of the Browns fans on this board when they bring up the 50's and 60's championships they won because the bottom is the NFL today just like in life is a what have you done for me lately business, and what you have done for me lately life. And the Browns answer to both of questions is a big xxxxing NOTHING!!!

Browns fans shouldn't bring up those championships really. They're so long ago.

Steelers fans shouldn't be bringing up their past bought/steroid ones either. They're too long ago.

Wow. Did you read my mind or something? I agree with EVERY point with one massive exception. I think Braylon Edwards is an anchor weighing this team down. He was thrown to over 13o times last year and only made 55 catches. How many drives is that that he killed single handed. I think the team is much better without him since he's an enticing target but if you throw to him in the clutch it leads to a drop.

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but folks lets examine what this team is all about this season.....We are REBUILDING

This team does not have much talent, everyone is upset about last night but what you saw is much of what you will get this season

This team is at least 2 drafts away from contending and Mangini getting his type of players

This team has with the exception of Edwards and Cribbs zero offensive playmakers, and please people lets get off the Jerome Harrison as a every down back the guy is not and never will be a every down NFL running back

On Defense until we get some guys who can rush the passer and create turnovers we won't contend, When are the Browns going to admit they made a mistake with Wimbley and move on? The guy is a BUST and a new coaching staff is not going to change that

This defense has maybe 3 guys that could start for most NFL teams the remaining players on defense are role players or backups

The offensive line is not a good as most people on this board think it is, we have Thomas and a developing Mack and thats it folks, Steinbach, Womack, Tucker, St.Clair these guys have all played there best football, look over the next 2 drafts for a RG, LG and RT

On a final note neither QB is a Franchise QB and I believe Mangini will regret the day he traded a Franchise QB in Sanchez to the Jets, Brady Quinn is not the guy and many people will find out this season why he lasted as long as he did in the draft, the Browns are still going to have to draft a franchise quarterback because that guy is not on this roster

So lets enjoy the season and watch the young guys we drafted develop over the season and hope in the next 2 years we get it right this time

Not attempting to be Doom and Gloom just how I see this team........If we win 4 games consider it a good season

Here is an interesting Eric weight atst. In 200n he gave up 22 touch downs which is the 4th most

In the NFL for corner backs starting more than 12 games outof the 47 corners who started more than 12 games. He also leads all corners in the NFL who got beat for touch downs longer than 30 yards with 9.

Thanks for proving me correct, old man.

Can one not be realistic and a fan at the same time? We (ALL OF US) realize we aren't the Pats, Colts or Eagles, talent-wise, but we're still fans nevertheless. In your eyes, that makes us saps. In ours, it makes us excited for the brand new season to start.

Pray for us, Sony. We beg your forgiveness...

;) you forgot that you're also not the Reigning World Chapion Pittsburgh Steelers either!

something i don't understand about the browns organization is how you guys have had a top 10 draft pick every year (or just about) and still complain about talent? it's coaching and system pure and simple. hopefully with Mangini that will change............but it's not your talent that is to blame.

Archived