THE BROWNS BOARD

WE NEED A RUNNING BACK

Riffer X

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
That sounds great Legacy, but you also need a back that can hit a hole and frankly Lewis seems to have lost that explosiveness and he dances in the hole before even being touched. Harrison runs sideways, he won't explode through a hole, he will lean toward the outside looking to run to daylight and he gets tripped up if there isn't a clean open field to run to.

Yes, Bradshaw had holes last night, but he also exploded through them making the task look easy as the D-Line was always in his rear view mirror, then he shook off DB's like they were boys.

Lewis also can't change direction like he use to, he can't shoot for one gap, and glide through another on a whim anymore. Harrison hasn't ever proven he can even run between tackles. I'm hoping to hell that Davis steps up, he's as shifty as anything we have, but will probably have durability concerns, and that dreaded rookie lapse in picking up the blitz.

Where have these holes been for Lewis to hit with an explosivenes really been. The last time I saw him get those holes some what regularly was back in 2007. So it's real hard for me to buy into Lewis has lost that explosion to the hole when I ain't seen a hole for him to explode into. He doesn't dance in the hole, he standing behind his OL looking for a crack somehwere, because there was never any hole.

Harrison has mostly been sent to the outside and again no hole is opening for him. Thus he keeps stretching it sideways trying to get to the edge. He hasn't proven he can run between the tackles in the NFL. Then again, he hasn't been given an opportunity to do it either.

Our Oline is capable enough of opening holes as long as we have an explosive back who can hit them. Sorry guys but those who think the Oline is the problem are just masking the fact that we have a horrid RB core. Has it been so long that we've forgotten JL's piss poor performance from last season? For instance look at both SB teams last year, both had awful Olines but made it there and when the Cards needed to run the ball in the playoffs they did. As bad as the Cards line was they still had strong backs in Hightower and James that hit the hole blazing.

Another team who ran the shit out of the ball last year with an average oline but had very good success was the Bears. Forte they're rookie RB was in the top 5 in attempts and YPC! The Bears dont have any stud probowl linemen, but they get it done and so can this line! Mankok made a huge mistake not drafting McCoy the guy is going to be a stud in Philly...

I'd take McCoy over Momas or Robo in a heartbeat!

For what it's worth - via twitter - "There is a new RB #34 Jennings"

From @DawgScooper

-jj

That wouldnt be the jennings out of Liberty would it?

Just saw that Rashad Jennings was draftedd in the 7th with the Jags and is still on their roster so it cant be him. To bad that guy is a bruiser..

Guest ATENEARS
Where have these holes been for Lewis to hit with an explosivenes really been. The last time I saw him get those holes some what regularly was back in 2007. So it's real hard for me to buy into Lewis has lost that explosion to the hole when I ain't seen a hole for him to explode into. He doesn't dance in the hole, he standing behind his OL looking for a crack somehwere, because there was never any hole.

I've seen holes, they just close fast. It's a timing thing and it doesn't appear to be something we've been working on over the past few years.

Harrison has mostly been sent to the outside and again no hole is opening for him. Thus he keeps stretching it sideways trying to get to the edge. He hasn't proven he can run between the tackles in the NFL. Then again, he hasn't been given an opportunity to do it either.

I'm going by what I've seen of Harrison at training camp. They appear to be more willing to hand him the ball out of the back field, but as he approaches the line it is as if a string is attached to his shoulder pads pulling him sideways down the linee. I've NEVER seen him tuck it up into the hole or into the pile with any force.

They all appear to be looking for the Home Run, and big run, instead of moving the sticks and keeping defenses honest.

Guest Aloysius
For what it's worth - via twitter - "There is a new RB #34 Jennings"

From @DawgScooper

Doerschuk's got more info:

Newly signed RB Chris Jennings is out there on the practice field, having signed today, wearing No. 34.

- Jennings grew up in Kentucky, played college ball at Arizona and spent part of 2008 in the CFL with Montreal.

You don’t see a lot of running backs with Jennings’ college stats in the NFL.

As an Arizona senior in 2007, he rushed 53 times for 156 yards and caught 27 passes for 232 yards. As a junior, he rushed 105 times for 451 yards.

Not quite in Harrison’s league - Harrison rushed for 1,900 yards in his final year in the same conference Jennings played in.

They all appear to be looking for the Home Run, and big run, instead of moving the sticks and keeping defenses honest.

They're all trying to win a spot & impress the new regime. If I remember correctly Harrison hit our last home run that mattered (through a hole JT opened up), and never saw the field again.

I guess I'm forgiving his (their) desire to make the big play, rather than keep our scout team honest.

Oh, and I'm a Harrison fag.

Guest Masters
I've seen holes, they just close fast. It's a timing thing and it doesn't appear to be something we've been working on over the past few years.

I'm going by what I've seen of Harrison at training camp. They appear to be more willing to hand him the ball out of the back field, but as he approaches the line it is as if a string is attached to his shoulder pads pulling him sideways down the linee. I've NEVER seen him tuck it up into the hole or into the pile with any force.

I'd agree there have been some and they close fast. But I haven't seen them often. And most times I have seen Lewis hit them.

I haven't gone to camp, so I can only go by what I have seen in games. Though if the preseason game was any indication of CLE run blocking, I can see why he never tucks it up into the hole or pile.

And that is never a good thing. I

Our running back position scares the hell out of me like no other.

Scares the hell out of me.

What a risk Mankock took by not bringing in somebody to challenge for the starter's role.

They really are putting a lot of faith in Lewis at an age where the odds are stacked against him.

30 year old running backs with lots of tread and declining ypc are not a good stock for your portfolio.

And Harrison, while impressive in his spotty action last year, is really just another guy who has never started in the NFL. Again, I like him ... but odds not good he breaks through like a Willie Parker et al.

And the 6th rounder ... worst odds of all.

I'm not saying one of these guys won't have a great season ... but we are really not stocking up the position where so many other teams have two explosive guys that can play every down and produce.

I don't know who is out there at this point ... Edge James maybe if Lewis were to get injured ... otherwise why have two old guys?

But I have a lot more faith that the guy that comes out of the QB derby is capable of a big year than I am of the guy that emerges as our top back.

It's the one position that Mankock seemed to handle in "rebuilding year" mode and decided to just try getting by with what we've got instead of big improvements ... like they'll take care of RB next year or something.

If you can't run in this division you are toast. I hope my gut is wrong about this ... but I see our run game as a huge achilles this year.

Zombo

Exactly why I pound my chest and say it over and over "why did we not sign Tyrell Sutton when we could have?"

For nothing. You know, we haven't even had any freaking injuries yet, this could possibly be the least depth of any backfield in the NFL. Noah Herron? Give me a break.

Chris Jennings?!?!? Seriously?!? He is absolutely terrible..... Seriously?!?

They need to cut him now...... I don't even know why they are bothering.

He wasn't good down here and was one of the main reasons they fired Mike Canales as the OC and hired Sonny Dykes away from Texas Tech. Canales was stubborn to the point where he kept giving Jennings reps. Jennings had a good game against NAU once and stunk it up against everyone else.

I honestly can't believe he even made it to an NFL camp and the fact the Browns brought him in just lowered my expectations for the 2009 season.... That's how bad he is.

Jesus.....

I'm on both sides of this argument:

1) Our RB position is question mark largely due to the risk of relying on a 30 year old, worn back.

2) Our OL looked like hell on Saturday and gave the RB very little to work with.

Its a nasty combination and all too familiar to last year. Let's hope both position groups work out some kinks or its going to be a brutal offensive campaign. As Z and others have said, to win in the AFC North (NFL?) you have to rush the football.

What part about the Browns do you like? Or are you having a bad day/week.

I'm probably more optimistic about the team overall than most, that's for sure.

That fact that I don't slobber over QBs after a shutout and that I'm not satisfied with a 30 yo rb that averages 3.5 ypc seems troubling to you.

I'm sure the rest of the league thinks Quinn has been Aces so far and that our RBs are a force to be reckoned with.

I don't see it. I see good young WR, I see good young OL, I see vast improved depth on the DL and LB and I think we will be a better, stronger, more-disciplined, better-coached team.

You love QBs that toss shutouts and RBs that are old or unproven ... good for you. I want to see the Browns win, bitch.

Zombo

They're not doing anything until they get a back that can make some plays who actually plays.

I'm going to get sick real fast of Lewis I just hope that Harrison and Davis can pick up blitzes enough to satisfy the coaching staff. I also hope the staff doesn't go RAC 'n ROLLS and not see how much Lewis blows.

I'm probably more optimistic about the team overall than most, that's for sure.

That fact that I don't slobber over QBs after a shutout and that I'm not satisfied with a 30 yo rb that averages 3.5 ypc seems troubling to you.

I'm sure the rest of the league thinks Quinn has been Aces so far and that our RBs are a force to be reckoned with.

I don't see it. I see good young WR, I see good young OL, I see vast improved depth on the DL and LB and I think we will be a better, stronger, more-disciplined, better-coached team.

You love QBs that toss shutouts and RBs that are old or unproven ... good for you. I want to see the Browns win, bitch.

Zombo

Easy does it Zombo, i'm not soupboy.

Easy does it Zombo, i'm not soupboy.

Sorry, I thought you were getting bitchy with me.

Yeah, I am encouraged about this team, I really think Mangini was a great hire.

I just think a lot of people are pissed at me because I won't give Quinn the endorsement. I just want to see more. That's all.

When the games start for real, I'm as big a homer as any of you. I'll support our QB, and I'll have blind faith that we will run over each week's opponent.

But right now, I am in realistic evaluation mode ... and RB seems like "most likely to implode". I hope I am wrong.

Zombo

Sorry, I thought you were getting bitchy with me.

Yeah, I am encouraged about this team, I really think Mangini was a great hire.

I just think a lot of people are pissed at me because I won't give Quinn the endorsement. I just want to see more. That's all.

When the games start for real, I'm as big a homer as any of you. I'll support our QB, and I'll have blind faith that we will run over each week's opponent.

But right now, I am in realistic evaluation mode ... and RB seems like "most likely to implode". I hope I am wrong.

Zombo

My frustration has a bitchy side, sorry.

Its not like Quinn is being handed this job, but when you look at our choices, whether its by default or not he's putting in his time doing the things a good FO would of had him doing his first year.

It may be a Quinn endorsment but i'd rather see Ratliff than DA get the starting spot. We may see a move for a vet RB, JL seems to be preserving himself for the regular season, i hope he can turn the switch. If he's not hurt i expect JL to keep the defense's honest.

Our defense is the key to a+ .500 season.

I'm going to get sick real fast of Lewis I just hope that Harrison and Davis can pick up blitzes enough to satisfy the coaching staff. I also hope the staff doesn't go RAC 'n ROLLS and not see how much Lewis blows.

Even if they don't pick up a blitz all that well, they need to play on a regular basis IMO.

I guess at some point the staff has to ask this question....Do we want a running back who can run the ball or do we want a back who can block??

If running the ball isn't a big concern, just stick one of the reserve guards back there to pick up the blitz.

Guest Aloysius
Mankok made a huge mistake not drafting McCoy the guy is going to be a stud in Philly...

I'd take McCoy over Momas or Robo in a heartbeat!

McCoy didn't fit into Mangini's philosophy of drafting mature, high character players. After initially deciding to stay in school, Shady was pressured by his mom into declaring for the draft. He looked physically underdeveloped at his pro day workout and came off as being a little bit arrogant during his interviews with NFL teams.

He could end up being a very good back, but I understand why Mangini passed on him. Same thing with Shonn Greene, who had academic & weight issues.

It's time to start looking for backs because there is no way Lewis is going to lead this team anywhere. Regardless of what Davis ends up doing, we are woefully thin at RB right now.

How about Edge?

I think we could use some giddyup on the depth chart too Riff. This is just a tough time to get that because we're really looking to guys not makign other teams.

I NEVER thought I'd say this but Chris Henry of Tenn has improved considerably but there's a crowded house at RB. One thing he did exceptionally well in the HOF Game and this past weekend is pass protect and he's running the ball alot better. The problem is he's be behind Chris Johnson, LenDale White, and Javon Ringer so he's pretty much playing for life outside of Tenn. AGAIN, I didn't like this kid at all 2 years ago and completely agreed with his draft critics. This year he's run the ball well and mastered the art of pass protection. He's faster than than 2 of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart but I think they run better on the field because of vision and instinct. You can't really coach instincts and vision so Henry would be available with those limitations if/when Tenn cuts him.

Edge would have been a great idea 2-3 years ago. For all I know, he still might be. I just keep thinking he was drafted way back in 1999.

Believe it or not, it was NEVER a QB that lured me into this franchise. It started with my dad brainwashing me about Jim Brown and kicked in with Leroy Kelly followed up by Grep Pruitt. To this day, I found Greg Pruitt to be one of the most exciting back I've seen in our uniform. I didn't say the BEST - I said most exciting. He could score from anywhere and he packed alot of deceptive strength and power into that frame.

I'm still looking forward to seeing more of James Davis. I'm noticing a trend where Harrison always seems to be dinged up whenever it's an ideal time to see what he has. That's not a good sign IMO.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius
I'm still looking forward to seeing more of James Davis.

Me too. All of the Terrell Davis/Frank Gore comparisons may have been a bit premature, but there's still good reason to think JD could part of the solution at running back.

Add a young power back alongside Davis & Harrison and you've got a pretty nice RB rotation.

F*ck picking up the blitz, if you want a back to pick up the blitz then you let the fullback do that, on offense I'm ALWAYS sending my HB in the flats or on a hook up the middle as an outlet.

That may work out just fine until you're 3rd and 6 with no FB on the field.

Or, as an opposing DC, no matter the d/d, if your FB isn't out there and the RB that is out there can't block for shit...... I'm blitzing.

RBs in the NFL need to be able to block effectively....it's pretty F'in simple, straightforward, and established.

Guest Aloysius
is JJ arrington out for the season???

Yes. He recently had microfracture surgery on his right knee.

Ryan Torain is also a free agent. Anyone else interested?

Too much of an injury risk. He reportedly failed his Combine med eval and has suffered two serious knee injuries in the last ten months. I'm not sure he's even healthy enough to play right now.

Guest Masters
F*ck picking up the blitz, if you want a back to pick up the blitz then you let the fullback do that, on offense I'm ALWAYS sending my HB in the flats or on a hook up the middle as an outlet.

This ain't Madden. All you need to do is look at tape of when Davis and Herron were in last Saturday to see the results of a RB not being able to pick up a blitz.

This ain't Madden. All you need to do is look at tape of when Davis and Herron were in last Saturday to see the results of a RB not being able to pick up a blitz.

Speaking of which, Dom Capers is introducing the 3-4 zone blitz schemes. Did anyone else notice that the favorite spot to exploit our offense with the zone blitz came in the Guard-Center gaps? Our OGs got quite the learning experience the other night. The GOOD thing is MUCH of this is coachable and I blame the LINE more than the RBs. If the line does a better job we can use our RBs for short swing passes out of the backfiedl the way Buffalo did this with Thurman Thomas when they caught teams beign blitz happy. Thomas wasn't there to BLOCK folks. He did on occasion but they had FBs that did that name Carwell Garner and Jamie Mueller.

All I could think of during that GB game was how well Alex Gibbs' ZONE blocking schemes would matchup with this type of defensive scheme Capers was using. To be a good zone blocking team you need a a quick-athletic line that plays with great leverage so you can win position at the point of attack. It also helps to study film of your opponent to understand their favorite tendencies. In fairness, it's not realistic to have that mastered by the first preseason game.

- Tom F. (Is Loverboy playing hide and don't seek this week?)

That wouldnt be the jennings out of Liberty would it?

Just saw that Rashad Jennings was draftedd in the 7th with the Jags and is still on their roster so it cant be him. To bad that guy is a bruiser..

It's the Jennings from the Canadian Football League. And he wasn't that good up there. Maybe Davis better show up this week. Could very well be a wakeup call for him. It's a little different when people are tackling you. We have to many guys that play well in shorts and then don't show up on game day.

Archived