THE BROWNS BOARD

Most Overrated QB Ever

The Gipper

The Dailey Stuff asked on one of their articles:   Who is the most Overrated QB in history? 

They gave a bunch of Candidates.  Choose any of these...or suggest someone else:

Joe Flacco;     Matt Stafford;   Michael Vick;   Matt Stafford;   Boomer Esiason;   Terry Bradshaw;   Ken Stabler;   Jim McMahon;   Bob Griese;   Phil Simms;   Norm Van Brocklin;   Sam Bradford;   Troy Aikman;   Archie Manning;   Eli Manning;   Ron Jaworski;   Jim Plunkett;   Jim Hart;   Joe Namath;   Dan Fouts;   Tony Romo;   Warren Moon;   John Brodie;   Daryl Lamonica;   Bart Starr;   Joe Theismann;  Drew Brees;   Carson Palmer;   Dak Prescott;  Jim Kelly;   Kerry Collins;   Aaron Rodgers;   Rich Gannon;  Donovan McNabb;  Steve McNair; Drew Bledsoe; Randall Cunningham;   Brett Favre;  Dante Culpepper;  Phillip Rivers;  Bernie Kosar.

A note on the above:   I actually checked a number of websites on this question.  And I see a completely ignorant trend in the rankings on this subject:    It seems that  they will say "So and so great historical QB is overrated because  his  completion percentage  was only  52% and his TD to Int. ration was only like  1:1.    What these fucking idiots who write this clearly do not comprehend is that you really cannot judge an historical QB by today's standards of quarterbacking.  ALL QBs prior to like the Joe Montana era  had low  completion percentages in the 50 some percent range.  Most or ALL QBs had  TD to Int. ratio of like 1-1.    One even said that Otto Graham was overrated because he had only a 55.5% completion pct.  Well, in those days that completion pct. was good enough to lead the league.  One year he led the league with 53.%  completion pct.   The same with INT. pct....they claimed "not so good with a 4...something Int. pct.   Well, again that 4. something was good enough to lead the league some years.   So, a guy that takes him team to 10 consecutive title games is "overrated"?  I wonder how overrated a guy that  can "only" take his team to 10 title games in 20 years is? (Brady).  

So, use your own judgment. 

It’s easy for me. Joe Namath is way overrated. I know that stats are way different today but even today a td to int ratio like his would get you benched very quickly. 173 td - 220 int 

And his teams are under .500   68-71-4

Had he NOT guarantee victory in SB 3 he wouldn’t be in the HOF 

If you look at his season stats. He only had 2 great years and 2 good years. 

He never led the league in rating and only led the league in yards 3 times and tds once. He also led the league in ints 4 times

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

It’s easy for me. Joe Namath is way overrated. I know that stats are way different today but even today a td to int ratio like his would get you benched very quickly. 173 td - 220 int 

He never led the league in rating and only led the league in yards 3 times and tds once. He also led the league in ints 4 times

You are mistaken. Joe didn't just make the Hall due to his guaranteed SB win. He did OTHER significant things like wearing fur coats & pantyhose.

Shame on you!

Just kidding..I agree that he is the most over-rated (just my opinion). NYC media hype.

Mike

1 minute ago, Canton Mike said:

You are mistaken. Joe didn't just make the Hall due to his guaranteed SB win. He did OTHER significant things like wearing fur coats & pantyhose.

Shame on you!

Just kidding..I agree that he is the most over-rated (just my opinion). NYC media hype.

Mike

Not to mention trying to kiss Suzy Kolber in a drunken stupor on national TV

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

Today, yes....but not then.  His TD to Int. ratio then was either very good, or typical. 

He never led the league in rating and only led the league in yards 3 times and tds once. He also led the league in ints 4 times,

Well...he was a gunslinger.  He took risks.  He certainly dink and dunk like things are done today.  That was true for all QBs then really. 

What can the criteria be for someone to be considered "Overrated"?   Failure to win a Super Bowl?   Dan Marino never won.  Failure to make a Super Bowl?  Fouts/Rivers/Moon never got there.   What about overall winning record?  See the Namath example above. 

What about a guy that actually HAS won a Super Bowl?   See Joe Flacco.

One area I don't consider a person to be "overrated"  is if they are a bust.   You don't see Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf and others on any "overrated" list.  They were overrated when coming out of college, but not when their careers are evaluated. 

Of everyone on the above list,  I might put Flacco there.  

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But, being one of the most iconic figures the game has ever seen,  and winning what many/most think is the most significant game in History does. 

Being iconic doesn’t make you a great player. And I thought the NYG winning the NFL title in OT was the most significant game of all time

I wanted to say Phil Simms or Joe Flacco but I can’t say a Super Champ and MVP (both were) are overrated. 

Maybe Carson Palmer although he put a decent QB Rating career 87.9.  He was a #1 overall pick.  Maybe didn’t live up to the extreme expectations he had. 

Im going with Culpepper.  He Had one elite year throwing to Moss. 11th overall pick so he came in with lofty expectations. He ultimately bounced around the league and played sparingly last half of his career. 

1 minute ago, Browns149 said:

Being iconic doesn’t make you a great player. And I thought the NYG winning the NFL title in OT was the most significant game of all time

I would say that  SBIII is considered the most significant game of all time.   

And the game you are thinking about is, I think, the 1958  Colts win over the Giants in OT, dubbed the "Greatest Game Ever Played".    That was a great game....considered the greatest of all time (at the time)....because it was the first ever NFL game to go into Overtime. 

5 minutes ago, Marvin the Martian said:

Ryan Leaf  and Jonny Manziel

Highly rated and highly drafted busts

Well...again  I am really looking for guys who you think had overrated NFL careers....not really for guys who were busts coming out of college.    Practically every draft since they have been doing drafts has a couple of those.  

13 minutes ago, D Bone said:

The punky QB known as McMahon. 

He’s right up there with Namath. More flash and ego then talent

Ok, looking at that list at the top, here's what I think...

I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought Jim Kelly was over rated. He threw the ball all over the place and got the Bills to 4 straight SBs. Maybe because he pointed fingers at his team mates for SB losses. He forgot he was going against Dallas, Washington, & the NYG- yeah, the NFC East was very good back then. 

In his era, I thought several AFC QBs were better...Elway, Marino, Moon, Esiason & even Kosar. Kelly padded his stats with a hurry-up, and their defense was real solid with Bruce Smith & Cornelius Bennett, etc.