THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama lashes waste in defense spending

Chicopee John

Obama lashes waste in defense spending

PHOENIX – President Barack Obama on Monday condemned special interests and their "exotic projects" that he said drain the defense budget of money needed for U.S. military forces battling everything from nuclear weapons to "18th century style piracy and 21st century cyber threats."

Going after lawmakers as well, he said, "If Congress sends me a defense bill loaded a bunch of pork, I will veto it."

Speaking to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Obama thanked America's veterans and praised U.S. fighting forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. But he also spoke harshly of a "defense establishment (that) has yet to fully adapt to the post-Cold War world."

His speech, in the convention center in downtown Phoenix, was respectfully received by the veterans, who frequently interrupted him with polite applause.

Turning to the two current foreign wars engaging the United States, Obama spoke of fierce fighting against Taliban and other insurgents leading up to Thursday's national elections in Afghanistan.

He said U.S. troops are working to secure polling places so the elections can go forward and Afghans can choose their own future.

Attaining that peaceful future "will not be quick. This will not be easy," he said.

He said the United States still has a deep interest in the long-term outcome.

"This is not only a war worth fighting. This is fundamental to the defense of our people," Obama said.

He told the veterans that the U.S. didn't choose to fight in Afghanistan but was forced to invade that country to stop future Sept. 11-style attacks.

He said his new strategy recognizes that al-Qaida has moved its bases into remote areas of Pakistan and that military power alone will not win that war.

As to Iraq, Obama reiterated his commitment to remove all combat brigades by the end of next August and to remove remaining troops from the country by the end of 2011.

U.S. troops withdrew from cities and other urban areas in June.

At home, Obama noted that his administration was committed to increased spending on VA health care.

"And since there's been so much misinformation out there about health insurance reform, let me say this: One thing that reform won't change is veterans' health care. No one is going to take away your benefits. That's the truth."

Obama said he was also directing each of the 57 regional VA offices "to come up with the best ways of doing business, harnessing the best information technologies, breaking through the bureaucracy."

He said the government would then pay to put the best ideas into action "all with a simple mission — cut these backlogs, slash those wait times and deliver your benefits sooner."

Assailing what he called special-interest spending, Obama told the VFW: "You know the story. The indefensible no-bid contracts that cost taxpayers billions and make contractors rich."

"The special interests and their exotic projects that are years behind schedule and billions over budget. The entrenched lobbyists pushing weapons that even our military says it doesn't want. The impulse in Washington to protect jobs back home building things we don't need at a cost we can't afford," he said.

The president laid out a vision of a nimble, well-armed and multilingual fighting force of the future, not one that was built to fight land battles against the Soviets in Europe.

"Because in the 21st century, military strength will be measured not only by the weapons our troops carry, but by the languages they speak and the cultures they understand," the president said.

He praised Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican and his opponent in the 2008 presidential contest, for joining him and Defense Secretary Robert Gates in opposing unneeded defense spending.

Shortly after Obama won the White House, McCain had pointedly suggested there was no need for the Marine Corps to bring on newer helicopters to ferry the president at a cost of billions of dollars.

"Maybe you heard about this. Among other capabilities, it would let me cook a meal while under nuclear attack," Obama told the VFW. "I'll tell you something. If the United States of America is under nuclear attack, the last thing on my mind will be whipping up a snack."

Not a comment.

My cousin, Harry, just told me that the war is over. The protesters in The People's Republic of West Hartford, CT - who have, for the last 5+ years carried, "Stop the War" signs - are now carrying, "Vote Yes For National Health Care" signs. Same people. Same street corners. Different messages.

Signs of the times, I guess.

Not a comment.

My cousin, Harry, just told me that the war is over. The protesters in The People's Republic of West Hartford, CT - who have, for the last 5+ years carried, "Stop the War" signs - are now carrying, "Vote Yes For National Health Care" signs. Same people. Same street corners. Different messages.

Signs of the times, I guess.

I will hold off any comment on Obama until we see if he is really going to Veto the defense spending bill.

I dont think he has the balls to veto it. This has been something that pelosi and her klan have used against "W" to add on pork for the past couple of years. They can never get enough pork.

I find it corrupt that Obama sets his sights on waste in the military spending,

but Acorn, SEIU, the "stimulus" spending, that waste is fine.

I can't wait until he flies his family, and 7 planes of friendly "liberal journalists"

to Hawaii for a luau and lunch layover for only 3 hours.....

Archived