THE BROWNS BOARD

What/Who are you currently listening to?

tiamat63

On 4/12/2021 at 8:01 AM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

The best MAGA rocker:

More overrated garbage music from the 70’s. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What ya need is a nice 60's song I clued my California born granddaughter to.

Ted Nugent couldn’t carry a Beach Boys tune if it had a handle 

Most of the music that started in the 70’s is awful. Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss,  ALL DISCO. 

27 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Ted Nugent couldn’t carry a Beach Boys tune if it had a handle 

Most of the music that started in the 70’s is awful. Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss,  ALL DISCO. 

You can fuck right off with that.

70's Nuge, Aero & Kiss was solid.  80's? Not so much.  You're off by a decade.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

You can fuck right off with that.

70's Nuge, Aero & Kiss was solid.  80's? Not so much.  You're off by a decade.

Please. The 80’s were way better. Metallica, Guns & Roses, Social Distortion, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, are all WAY better then Nugent, Kiss or Aeroshit

Kiss is the MOST overrated band of all time. Unless you need to sell a lunch box or a pinball machine or a casket

Otherwise their music is childish and lame

2 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Please. The 80’s were way better. Metallica, Guns & Roses, Social Distortion, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, are all WAY better then Nugent, Kiss or Aeroshit

Kiss is the MOST overrated band of all time. Unless you need to sell a lunch box or a pinball machine or a casket

Well there's always Barry from the 70's. LOL!😂🎶

37 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Apples to Oranges and you won't see me preaching about the non-talent of Kiss.  The 80's as a decade of music were, as a coworker and I call it - "gay".  The 70's still had Motown, soul, funk and the advent of classic metal.   The 80's had synth pop and hair bands that you couldn't tell the difference between the women and the men.   

At least the Beastie Boys & LL came of it.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Apples to Oranges and you won't see me preaching about the non-talent of Kiss.  The 80's as a decade of music were, as a coworker and I call it - "gay".  The 70's still had Motown, soul, funk and the advent of classic metal.   The 80's had synth pop and hair bands that you couldn't tell the difference between the women and the men.   

At least the Beastie Boys & LL came of it.

The 70’s had disco and Grease. Those two make ths 80’s better

41 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

According to your ears, anything funk is "disco". 

Nothing says “Funk” like John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

1977... it's doesn't get any better than this

https://youtu.be/VuHS-gjMiVw

The back story..

"Xanadu" is a song by the Canadian rock band Rush from their 1977 album "A Farewell to Kings." It is approximately 11 minutes long, beginning with a five-minute-long instrumental section before transitioning to a narrative written by Neil Peart.

This song is based on an unfinished poem called Kubla Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, who started writing it while under the influence of drugs.

Once the effects of the drugs wore off, he was unable to complete it.

In Coleridge's poem, Xanadu is the fictional name of the land where Khubla Khan ordered the dome to be built: "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree." Coleridge goes on to describe the dome as a "Miracle of rare device, a sunny pleasure dome with caves of ice." The notion of the "Man from Porlock" is a famous yet unsubstantiated tale offered by Coleridge himself to explain why his poem is unfinished.

The legend of Xanadu is related to a number of myths & legends going back to the prehistory of Asia, specifically that of Shamballa. There was a movement in the time of Coleridge to explore these legends, in doing so we are tapping into the universal consciousness, an ability that the members of Rush seem to be quite adept. In Peart's lyrics, the narrator describes searching for a place called "Xanadu" that will grant him immortality. After succeeding in this quest, a thousand years pass, and the narrator is left "waiting for the world to end", describing himself as "a mad immortal man".

Although the song does not explicitly state where "Xanadu" is, references to Kubla Khan imply that it is a mythical place based on Shangdu, the historical summer capital of the Mongol Empire.

*Kubla Khan, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge*

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan

A stately pleasure-dome decree:

Where Alph, the sacred river, ran

Through caverns measureless to man Down to a sunless sea.

So twice five miles of fertile ground With walls & towers were girdled round; And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills, Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;

And here were forests ancient as the hills, Enfolding sunny spots of greenery. But oh! that deep romantic chasm which slanted Down the green hill athwart a cedarn cover!

A savage place! as holy & enchanted As e’er beneath a waning moon was haunted By woman wailing for her demon-lover!

And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething, As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing, A mighty fountain momently was forced:

Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail, Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher’s flail:

And mid these dancing rocks at once and ever It flung up momently the sacred river. Five miles meandering with a mazy motion Through wood and dale the sacred river ran, Then reached the caverns measureless to man, And sank in tumult to a lifeless ocean;

And ’mid this tumult Kubla heard from far Ancestral voices prophesying war! The shadow of the dome of pleasure Floated midway on the waves; Where was heard the mingled measure From the fountain and the caves.

It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

A damsel with a dulcimer In a vision once I saw: It was an Abyssinian maid And on her dulcimer she played, Singing of Mount Abora. Could I revive within me Her symphony and song, To such a deep delight ’twould win me, That with music loud and long, I would build that dome in air, That sunny dome!

Those caves of ice! And all who heard should see them there, And all should cry, Beware! Beware! His flashing eyes, his floating hair! Weave a circle round him thrice, And close your eyes with holy dread For he on honey-dew hath fed, And drunk the milk of Paradise.

J. R. R. Tolkien would be proud... ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

back in those days I listened to WIXY 1260 AM radio - and could've sworn I heard Mike Reineri singing in that Lee Michael song ^ 

https://www.wixy1260.com/people/default.html

Wixy 1260, CKLW in Detroit (actually Windsor, Ontario) and WMMS.

13 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Nothing says “Funk” like John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

Ain't nobody bringing up Grease here.  You see anyone mentioning that shit? I don't. It's just you.  So unless you are just outside of your mind, you can drop the fixation.

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

One man's sound track of his life is another man's cacophony.

WSS

I'm so glad you brought up Cacophony 🤣

Marty Friedman and Jason Becker... Two of the best Shred guitarists ever.. Jason Becker may be the longest surviving ALS victim ever..

Google is your friend..

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

OK what the hell. As I see it this is the flagship song from my latest solo CD Great Wishes and Small. Probably not the most pop friendly but I really like this one. The lyrics are based on old East Ohio folk legend.

WSS

Nice song. So what is the full legend behind the song Steve?