THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2020 Rookies

Orion

What say we take a look at the Browns 2020 rookies...the COVID Class...

Elijah Benton     48   S   6-1  205   24  R    Liberty

Ja'Marcus Bradley   84   WR   6-0  198  24  R    Louisiana-Lafayette

Harrison Bryant   88   TE   6-5  243   22   R    Florida Atlantic

Grant Delpit   22   S   6-2   213   22   R   LSU

Jordan Elliott   90   DT   6-4   302   23  R   Missouri

A.J. Green   38   CB   6-2   198   22   R   Oklahoma State

Nick Harris   53   C   6-1   302    22   R   Washington

Cordel Iwuagwu   67   OG   6-3   313   24   R   TCU

Kyle Markway   86   TE   6-4   247   23   R   South Carolina

Jovante Moffatt   35   S   5-11   213   24   R   Middle Tennessee State

George Obinna   60   DE   6-2   245   24   R   Sacramento State

Donovan Peoples-Jones   11   WR   6-221   221   R   Michigan

Jacob Phillips   50   LB   6-3   229   21   R   LSU

Alex Taylor   60   T   6-8   301   23   R   South Carolina State

Curtis Weaver   61   DE   6-2   265   22   R   Boise State

Jedrick Wills Jr.   71   T   6-4   312   21   R   Alabama

Bradley, #84  WR,  He had to play against the Jets.  I thought he did a pretty good job.  He almost made a really great leaping & spinning catch (close to the goal line as I recall).  He actually caught the pass but the ball was jarred loose.  He looked pretty smooth.  He wasn't great by any stretch, but he was put in a pretty difficult spot.

Bryant  TE,  How many times did he fumble the ball away?  Was it just twice?  He had 24 receptions but I wasn't overly impressed by the Mackie award winner.  But hey, he was a COVID year rookie.  We'll see next season.

Grant Delpit S,  He stunk.  Or was he great?  Since he plays defense and we never heard his name called...(he & Greedy being out all year really hurt our D)

Jordan Elliot DT,  He played some.  Made 15 total tackles.  Didn't seem to stand out.

Nick Harris C,  We saw some of him.  He did a pretty good job subbing for Tretter but he got manhandled subbing at guard.

Moffatt S,  He assisted on a tackle.

Peoples-Jones WR,  I think we got about what I expected out of him.  14 receptions.  He's a work in progress but showed some potential.  21.7 yards/reception.

Jacob Philips LB,  Finished with 25 tackles, 15 solo.  I liked what I saw from him.  He improved as the season went on.  But he was injured a lot.

Jedrick Wills  LT,  I was concerned with him moving from RT to LT in a season with no offseason, no way for him to learn the game before going live...but he proved there was no need for concern.  He wasn't as good or as durable in his first year as his predecessor...but who would've been?   He Done Good.

......any thoughts?

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Orion said:

What say we take a look at the Browns 2020 rookies...the COVID Class...

Elijah Benton     48   S   6-1  205   24  R    Liberty

Ja'Marcus Bradley   84   WR   6-0  198  24  R    Louisiana-Lafayette

Harrison Bryant   88   TE   6-5  243   22   R    Florida Atlantic

Grant Delpit   22   S   6-2   213   22   R   LSU

Jordan Elliott   90   DT   6-4   302   23  R   Missouri

A.J. Green   38   CB   6-2   198   22   R   Oklahoma State

Nick Harris   53   C   6-1   302    22   R   Washington

Cordel Iwuagwu   67   OG   6-3   313   24   R   TCU

Kyle Markway   86   TE   6-4   247   23   R   South Carolina

Jovante Moffatt   35   S   5-11   213   24   R   Middle Tennessee State

George Obinna   60   DE   6-2   245   24   R   Sacramento State

Donovan Peoples-Jones   11   WR   6-221   221   R   Michigan

Jacob Phillips   50   LB   6-3   229   21   R   LSU

Alex Taylor   60   T   6-8   301   23   R   South Carolina State

Curtis Weaver   61   DE   6-2   265   22   R   Boise State

Jedrick Wills Jr.   71   T   6-4   312   21   R   Alabama

Bradley, #84  WR,  He had to play against the Jets.  I thought he did a pretty good job.  He almost made a really great leaping & spinning catch (close to the goal line as I recall).  He actually caught the pass but the ball was jarred loose.  He looked pretty smooth.  He wasn't great by any stretch, but he was put in a pretty difficult spot.

Bryant  TE,  How many times did he fumble the ball away?  Was it just twice?  He had 24 receptions but I wasn't overly impressed by the Mackie award winner.  But hey, he was a COVID year rookie.  We'll see next season.

Grant Delpit S,  He stunk.  Or was he great?  Since he plays defense and we never heard his name called...

Jordan Elliot DT,  He played some.  Made 15 total tackles.  Didn't seem to stand out.

Nick Harris C,  We saw some of him.  He did a pretty good job subbing for Tretter but he got manhandled subbing at guard.

Moffatt S,  He assisted on a tackle.

Peoples-Jones WR,  I think we got about what I expected out of him.  14 receptions.  He's a work in progress but showed some potential.  21.7 yards/reception.

Jacob Philips LB,  Finished with 25 tackles, 15 solo.  I liked what I saw from him.  He improved as the season went on.  But he was injured a lot.

Jedrick Wills  LT,  I was concerned with him moving from RT to LT in a season with no offseason, no way for him to learn the game before going live...but he proved there was no need for concern.  He wasn't as good or as durable in his first year as his predecessor...but who would've been?   He Done Good.

......any thoughts?

Wills and Peoples Jones.  Showed they can be starters in the League. 

Then a gap.

Bryant, Harris, Phillips.  Can play in the league may develop into starters.

Elliot did not impress me.  Will Probably fight each year for a roster spot. 

we didn’t see enough of the rest to make an assessment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Grant Delpit S,  He stunk.  Or was he great?  Since he plays defense and we never heard his name called...

I guess you're kidding. He didn't play any snap, got injured offseason before making his debut as a Brown. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I guess you're kidding. He didn't play any snap, got injured offseason before making his debut as a Brown. 

From Wiki:  "Delpit was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round with the 44th overall pick of the 2020 NFL Draft.[8] He suffered an Achilles tendon tear during training camp that required surgery which ended his rookie season.[9] He was placed on the injured reserve list on August 25, 2020.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I guess you're kidding

Yeah, I don't like the pink font.  It's hard to read it.  (and Greedy Williams stunk last year too...but he isn't a rookie)

So, in reality, Delpit will be a rookie again this season.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah, I don't like the pink font.  It's hard to read it.  (and Greedy Williams stunk last year too...but he isn't a rookie)

So, in reality, Delpit will be a rookie again this season.

There's no need to belittle our Lord and Savior THE PINK FONT. 

By the same metric,  here were the top rookie performers throughout the league.  CA production score after name, plus team and draft position

Chase Young  13   Washington  #2

Justin Herbert  13   Chargers  #6

Justin Jefferson 12  Vikings  #22

Tristan Wirfs  11   Bucs  #13

Patrick Queen  10  Ravens  #28

Jonathan Taylor  10  Colts  #41

Wills   8   Browns  #10

CeeDee Lamb  8  Cowboys  #17

Kenneth Murray  8   Chargers #23

Clyde Edwards-Elaire  8    Chiefs  #32

(Joe Burrow may have easily led this group if not for injury....he was at  a  7  when he got hurt)

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Per one metric....the PFR  CA, here is how the drafted rookies ranked production wise, with the CA  Production number (don't have numbers for undrafted)

Wills   8

Peeps   3

Bryant  2

Phillips  2

Elliot   1

Harris  1

Delpit   -0-   DNP

interesting.. But Whom or Who are these PFR CA...people? and how are these production numbers produced? got a link? 

18 hours ago, gumby73 said:

interesting.. But Whom or Who are these PFR CA...people? and how are these production numbers produced? got a link? 

Pro football reference. Google 

Edit:   sorry, I was away from my  desktop.  Here is a link to an explanation.   "Approximate Value...same as Career Average":

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index37a8.html

NFL.com writer also handed out rookie grades...

Grade
A-
Cleveland Browns
Cleveland Browns
Total picks: 7 · 11-5

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

The Browns were in desperate need of a legitimate left tackle, and in a draft full of them, they landed one of the top two, if not the best. Wills made the PFWA All-Rookie Team after a very solid season protecting Baker Mayfield's blindside. While he'll need to improve his run blocking, Wills figures to be Cleveland's starting left tackle for years to come.

Delpit could have answered a huge question at safety, but an Achilles tear ended his season in camp. He looms as a promising prospect, should he return to form in 2021.

Elliott was a rotational defender stuck behind two very good defensive tackles (Sheldon Richardson, Larry Ogunjobi) but still made a few plays.

Phillips showed flashes but hasn't yet filled Cleveland's dire need for linebacking talent.

Bryant was the No. 3 tight end in a deep group, yet he managed to find his own niche, catching 24 passes for 238 yards and three touchdowns. He'll need to work on his tendency to drop a pass here and there, but the Browns landed a steal in Bryant, who also made the All-Rookie Team.

Harris filled in at guard when the Browns battled losses to injury and COVID-19. He impressed before suffering an injury. He's a player who can grow into an effective lineman in the future.

Finally, Peoples-Jones was another steal in the sixth round, filling out Cleveland's receiving corps and stepping in to help replace Odell Beckham. His most memorable grab -- a 24-yard catch along the boundary for the game-winning touchdown in Week 7 -- made him an instant fan favorite in Cleveland.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-rookie-grades-afc-north-bengals-browns-see-big-returns

His other AFCN grades were:

• CIN: A-
  • BLT: B-
  • PTG: B-
  • Thanks 1

Wills looks like a solid starter with pro bowl capability.

I think Bryant looked fine.  Give him another year to bulk up some and I think he can be a weapon for the O.

In limited action, Harris looks like he can take over for Treeter in a year.

Jones looks like he can take Higgy's spot and do just fine.

Phillips showed some speed at the position...he will fit in to a 2 backer set like we want to run.

The others were hurt or look to be "just a guy" type players.  Maybe one of them turns in to something more.

• Like 1

Looking back on our draft picks (edited the OP and bolded the picks) they all made the team (even pick # 187, Peoples Jones) and with the exception of injured Delpit, they all helped the team win 12 games including 1 playoff win.  That's quite a productive draft.  -  Andrew Berry, take a bow!    (he says he doesn't have time, he's busy researching free agents)

• Upvote 1

I thought Wills did good, he gave up a few sacks etc but he was solid all season in both pass and run block and didn't commit a bunch of penalties. The best part was we didn't hear his name being called during games for either penalties or being abused, thats what we needed. Peoples-Jones, once he got his chance, showed he can play and will be a viable 3rd or 4th WR on this team. Bryant flashed hear and there, but we had a crowded TE room, each TE had their moments in the spot light, Bryants was more in the middle of the season, I suspect he will be better next year.

Of the rest Phillips to me has the most potential to be impactful, I want to see more of him. Elliot, underwhelmed, I think he had a forced fumble but I don't remember him being in the back field making any plays. Nick Harris looks like he needs work and Delpit we don't know about yet, but hopefully he performs next season.

• Like 1

Wills did very well moving from RT in college to LT in the pros. 

I'm not sure what the rest of the class did to have the entire class get a A grade, though. I mean, if you told me that no one from this draft class was on the Browns in three seasons, I wouldn't be shocked. Not saying that will happen, but for a class that received an A grade, I wouldn't imagine thinking this very often.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm not sure what the rest of the class did to have the entire class get a A grade, though.

Well, for me, it's the fact that they all had to play, and many had to play significant rolls at some point during the season...including picks 160 & 187.  We needed all of 'em to step up into the lineup.  Now sure, they didn't play to pro bowl specs.....but as a whole, they played and we were able to win with them playing.

How Bill Callahan did not win some kind of position coaching award? is far above my fan pay scale.. Both Jedrick Wills & Nick Harris, with no off season were not shown as over their heads by any nfl standards... The Linemen off the bench? The 'Band Aids' never showed any blood seeping thru them.. Were the rookies always perfect? No! and that's ok..

Jedrick Wills has a bright future.. What drove me bonkers? Jed led the league in False Starts with 8.. In fan empty stadiums.. Jed got caught holding only 3 times..And 2 of the 3 were well earned muggings.. but still PFF became our largest fan and that has never happened..

Harrison Bryant was good... up until the fumbles started coming.. Coaches fixed that by showing him the bench.. those coaching moments, should loom large in Bryant's bright future... 

Peoples Jones.. I was unimpressed until I saw DPJ's live in Tennessee.. I'd have to agree with Woody..He looks faster live, than he looks like on TV.. Tenn. just answered on our 17-0 lead. Peoples Jones puts his head down & explodes off the LOS with his arms & legs a blazing.. blows by his corner, at a full sprint down my sideline view for a 75 yard TD..Donovan does have some serious straight line speed wheels.. He also showed me he's a willing down field blocker..

Jacob Phillips--I was really excited to see this guy kept his good wheels coming off a leg injury during the same season.. Phillips is the type of LB, we will need to chase Lamar around this division.. At season's end, I saw a guy that has earned more game reps..  

Whats good? is these Rookies will see the same solid coaching next season...We can't say that for most the players that are still here..

Good young drafted players, builds future rosters..Good Coaching with good staffs, builds good team continuity... were on the way Lombardi...     

• Upvote 1