THE BROWNS BOARD

Tuesday practice updates

SoCalDog

Another sign DA is having a meltdown... notice the difference how he handles his misconn with WR and the way Quinn did with BE.

He blames the other guy, whereas Quinn just handled it one on one with BE.

Beyond the QB stuff, looks like Mack is slowly being given the reigns to start. Royal looks like he's taking over the nod for TE. He had some nice catches in the game, too

And for me, I hope we get to see Francies get more PT and eventually take over. He's been great all camp and in the game.

12:12:31 pm Perhaps no Browns rookie has been given greater responsibility than C Alex Mack, who not only must learn to be a leader along the offensive line, but has been responsible for blocking Pro Bowl NT Shaun Rogers in practice.

12:11:30 pm Is the starting TE battle over? Robert Royal has practiced with the first team almost exclusively. "Whatever the coaches want me to do, whether it's blocking or receiving, I'll do," said Royal, who arrived as a free agent.

12:10:46 pm Browns Pro Bowl OT Joe Thomas sat out today's practice, but he appears to be fine. He remained on the sideline throughout.

12:10:13 pm Browns DE Corey Williams would love to play in a 4-3 defense again. He registered seven sacks in successive seasons in Green Bay in that alignment. "But the first goal here is to stop the run, then to pressure the quarterback," he said.

12:08:13 pm The Browns OL continue to perform better in pass protection than run blocking. C Hank Fraley, who is battling Ryan Tucker for the starting spot and has also played guard, isn't overanalyzing it. "We just need to get hat on hat," he said.

12:07:32 pm Rookie LB Marcus Benard has been impressive. Benard registered a sack in the preseason opener. "Pass rushing is my passion," he said. "I can get 20 tackles, but I don't think I've had a big game unless I get pressure on the quarterback. That's a game-changer."

10:53:45 am Miscommunication apparently doomed a pass fromQB Brady Quinn to WR Braylon Edwards in game simulation. The ball fell well short of the target. The two spoke briefly after the incompletion.

10:51:00 am A dark, overcast sky has replaced the sunny one at Browns camp and it appears rain is on its way.

10:44:42 am Browns QB Derek Anderson is steaming - and it has nothing to do with the weather. He came off the field swearing after overthrowing WR Lance Leggett, who he complained ran the route incorrectly. The two spoke congenially after the play.

10:42:45 am Something Browns fans hope to see often this year: QB Brady Quinn just fired a long TD pass to WR Braylon Edwards in the two-minute drill.

10:41:01 am Answering Matt's email question about Shawn Rogers: He might get special consideration from coach Eric Mangini because of status, but don't sweat it. He won't need many reps to be ready and his attitude seems fine. He can be babied a bit because he's probably their best player.

10:28:30 am PK Phil Dawson just executed the perfect onside kick - it took one bounce into the hands of Mike Adams. There was only one problem; the Browns were offsides.

10:13:30 am Since missing two days following a wisdom tooth extraction, Browns rookie RB James Davis hasn't shown the explosiveness he displayed early in training camp.

10:12:54 am DB Coye Francies remains one of the most surprising players in Browns camp. He just blanketed a WR and knocked away a pass in game simulation drills.

Another sign DA is having a meltdown... notice the difference how he handles his misconn with WR and the way Quinn did with BE.

Beyond the QB stuff, looks like Mack is slowly being given the reigns to start. Royal looks like he's taking over the nod for TE. He had some nice catches in the game, too

And for me, I hope we get to see Francies get more PT and eventually take over. He's been great all camp and in the game.

12:12:31 pm Perhaps no Browns rookie has been given greater responsibility than C Alex Mack, who not only must learn to be a leader along the offensive line, but has been responsible for blocking Pro Bowl NT Shaun Rogers in practice.

12:11:30 pm Is the starting TE battle over? Robert Royal has practiced with the first team almost exclusively. "Whatever the coaches want me to do, whether it's blocking or receiving, I'll do," said Royal, who arrived as a free agent.

12:10:46 pm Browns Pro Bowl OT Joe Thomas sat out today's practice, but he appears to be fine. He remained on the sideline throughout.

12:10:13 pm Browns DE Corey Williams would love to play in a 4-3 defense again. He registered seven sacks in successive seasons in Green Bay in that alignment. "But the first goal here is to stop the run, then to pressure the quarterback," he said.

12:08:13 pm The Browns OL continue to perform better in pass protection than run blocking. C Hank Fraley, who is battling Ryan Tucker for the starting spot and has also played guard, isn't overanalyzing it. "We just need to get hat on hat," he said.

12:07:32 pm Rookie LB Marcus Benard has been impressive. Benard registered a sack in the preseason opener. "Pass rushing is my passion," he said. "I can get 20 tackles, but I don't think I've had a big game unless I get pressure on the quarterback. That's a game-changer."

10:53:45 am Miscommunication apparently doomed a pass fromQB Brady Quinn to WR Braylon Edwards in game simulation. The ball fell well short of the target. The two spoke briefly after the incompletion.

10:51:00 am A dark, overcast sky has replaced the sunny one at Browns camp and it appears rain is on its way.

10:44:42 am Browns QB Derek Anderson is steaming - and it has nothing to do with the weather. He came off the field swearing after overthrowing WR Lance Leggett, who he complained ran the route incorrectly. The two spoke congenially after the play.

10:42:45 am Something Browns fans hope to see often this year: QB Brady Quinn just fired a long TD pass to WR Braylon Edwards in the two-minute drill.

10:41:01 am Answering Matt's email question about Shawn Rogers: He might get special consideration from coach Eric Mangini because of status, but don't sweat it. He won't need many reps to be ready and his attitude seems fine. He can be babied a bit because he's probably their best player.

10:28:30 am PK Phil Dawson just executed the perfect onside kick - it took one bounce into the hands of Mike Adams. There was only one problem; the Browns were offsides.

10:13:30 am Since missing two days following a wisdom tooth extraction, Browns rookie RB James Davis hasn't shown the explosiveness he displayed early in training camp.

10:12:54 am DB Coye Francies remains one of the most surprising players in Browns camp. He just blanketed a WR and knocked away a pass in game simulation drills.

If it was Quinn he'd be "a fiery leader". When it's Anderson it's a "meltdown".

Zombo

tuck can play C?

the way quinn does handle the miscommunications does impress me. i wasn't high on him at all.....but he does seem to understand the game better than DA. you can't single out players in a TEAM game and expect to retain respect.

--------------------------

I think this part of the bold is as important as the first. Different people have different ways of showing their frustration.

"If it was Quinn he'd be "a fiery leader". When it's Anderson it's a "meltdown".

Zombo

Did I say that? Hmm, don't think I did. In fact, Quinn wouldn't come stomping off the field crying "That was the OTHER guy's fault! It's not fair."

That's the point you missed, like the game. He wouldn't show his teammates up like DA does. He might get into it with them one on one on the sideline, but I can't remember him coming off the field complaining about the OTHER guy.

Usually, he always says, "It was MY fault. I'll take the blame." Never throws his teammates under the bus.

DA? Legget...meet BUS. Get under bus please.

DA realizes he is falling farther behind BQ and the pressure is really on him but unlike a true champion DA implodes under pressure and then blames anyone and or everyone else instead of meeting the challenge or just saying "my bad" thankfully this circus is almost over and we will finally get to find out what BQ has to offer...

If it was Quinn he'd be "a fiery leader". When it's Anderson it's a "meltdown".

Zombo

Let's be honest man. DA is melting down. The time for a fiery response was last year when nothin went well. The fact he cannot handle pressure is manifested in his practice tantrums. He has done this the past 2 weeks. I mean if he was such a fiery leader we'd have seen this last season.

So yeah it is a tantrum and a meltdown. QB's need to get on their receivers now and then. But this is different - DA is panicking and folding under pressure. He isn't liked by fans much, the honeymoon is over, and he can't perform well enough to keep the job.

Don't worry. Browns fans will do the same to Quinn if he doesn't produce as well.

I especially liked how you left out THE VERY NEXT UPDATE on the site you just quoted:

10:01:05 am Browns QB Derek Anderson is looking sharp in game simulation. If he doesn't perform well Saturday night against Detroit, he will likely fall behind Brady Quinn in the fight for the starting job.

People get ready for BQ. He will be here 10+ years. The kid is a gamer and a leader. That's what everybody is looking for in a QB. Yes he will struggle at first they all do but in the long run he will be just fine.

Write it down.

People get ready for BQ. He will be here 10+ years. The kid is a gamer and a leader. That's what everybody is looking for in a QB. Yes he will struggle at first they all do but in the long run he will be just fine.

Write it down.

I watched this kid from his first game at ND he caught on pretty fast i expect to see him do the same as the browns QB a lot of people say...he should already be better then DA he is gonna suck well DA is a probowler and has 27 starts under his belt and BQ looks slightly better right off of the bench he has rotted on for 3 years...once BQ has half that many starts he will likely be bringing us fairly consistant wins...

However with that being said the nfl is incredibly hard on QBs and theres always a small chance he could flop and a bigger chance he will be average but i expect bq will be well above average within 2 seasons...

Sounds like really bad morning practice today. Hopefully things went better in the afternoon. Some players are just melting down.

Yeah I wonder who Mangini is pissed about. Any clues from this?

"Quinn threw a pass in the two-minute that was nowhere near a receiver and CB Brandon McDonald intercepted it and returned it for a score."

The performance in today's two-minute drill particulary irked coach Eric Mangini. "They have to understand what we're trying to accomplish, not just lob the ball up, get intercepted and have a false start," he said. "That's bad football."

Let's be honest man. DA is melting down. The time for a fiery response was last year when nothin went well. The fact he cannot handle pressure is manifested in his practice tantrums. He has done this the past 2 weeks. I mean if he was such a fiery leader we'd have seen this last season.

So yeah it is a tantrum and a meltdown. QB's need to get on their receivers now and then. But this is different - DA is panicking and folding under pressure. He isn't liked by fans much, the honeymoon is over, and he can't perform well enough to keep the job.

Wow. Really?

He seems like a laid back guy with a good sense of humor about things. The joke about Quinn giving the defense signs should give you some insight into this guy ... he doesn't seem like meltdown material.

He was mad cause a guy misran a route. The rest is pure speculation on your part. Sometimes we attribute things to people we don't know based on how other people we know would act in a certain situation. Doesn't sound like Derek.

He was mad at a boneheaded receiver. Again, if it were Quinn, it would be "fiery leader".

I swear to God, if you changed "Quinn" with "Anderson" and posted this today, someone would have said "See, Anderson doesn't give a shit, doesn't get mad, he's not a leader. Quinn let his guy know he was upset, he's a real leader."

You know it, I know it ... it's pure unadultered bias.

Not that there's anything wrong with it ... it's just not accurate.

Zombo

Wow. Really?

He seems like a laid back guy with a good sense of humor about things. The joke about Quinn giving the defense signs should give you some insight into this guy ... he doesn't seem like meltdown material.

He was mad cause a guy misran a route. The rest is pure speculation on your part. Sometimes we attribute things to people we don't know based on how other people we know would act in a certain situation. Doesn't sound like Derek.

He was mad at a boneheaded receiver. Again, if it were Quinn, it would be "fiery leader".

I swear to God, if you changed "Quinn" with "Anderson" and posted this today, someone would have said "See, Anderson doesn't give a shit, doesn't get mad, he's not a leader. Quinn let his guy know he was upset, he's a real leader."

You know it, I know it ... it's pure unadultered bias.

Not that there's anything wrong with it ... it's just not accurate.

Zombo

Generally DA is quite laid back but under stressful pressure of any kind he has a tendency to occasionally blow up and or blame others its never his fault...he sees he is slowly but steadily losing the starting job and is understandably getting frustrated...i am bias to BQ but only because i know he will be a far superior qb when given the chance rather that be in brownstown or elsewhere...i like da in a lot of ways but honestly he is not nfl starting material but a great backup..

"Quinn threw a pass in the two-minute that was nowhere near a receiver and CB Brandon McDonald intercepted it and returned it for a score."

The performance in today's two-minute drill particulary irked coach Eric Mangini. "They have to understand what we're trying to accomplish, not just lob the ball up, get intercepted and have a false start," he said. "That's bad football."

It's funny that you would quote something like that only when it applies to Quinn......

You seemed to have missed my point, which is Anderson is not a fiery leader, and when the pressure is on he loses focus. He can throw, but I have yet to see him lead. Another point I made was my questioning where this so-called "fire" was last season when things started off terrible? Did he yell at Edwards during the Cowboys game and get him to focus? Don't tell me about what other people would have said if Quinn had yelled at a WR. I am not talking about Quinn - although yes, you're right people would have said that. I am not other people.

The fact is Anderson is not a vocal leader. So when I hear about him kicking cones, yelling about wrong routes, or generally pissed off about a missed assignment, I don't automatically assume he is establishing a leadership role. I think he is doing what he does when the heat is on - collapse.

It has nothing to do with what I think other people would do in that situation - whatever that means?? - but everything to do with what I have seen from DA when the heat was on. I am a fan of the Browns and watch every game. I am not some outsider spouting off about what other people saw.

You don't think it is accurate because that is not your opinion of him. If I ruffled your feathers a bit because I have expressed my opinion, I don't know what to tell you. It is a message board, shit happens.

I say we stars Anderson in the first quater against the vikes. And after his first 3 passes are picked off we can put quinn in for the rest of the season

Yeah, that way after Anderson throws those three picks and his defenders come here making every excuse in the book, they can criticize every move that Quinn makes.

I seem to remember something in there about Anderson running a lap or two for fumbling handoffs and snaps.

You seemed to have missed my point, which is Anderson is not a fiery leader, and when the pressure is on he loses focus. He can throw, but I have yet to see him lead. Another point I made was my questioning where this so-called "fire" was last season when things started off terrible? Did he yell at Edwards during the Cowboys game and get him to focus? Don't tell me about what other people would have said if Quinn had yelled at a WR. I am not talking about Quinn - although yes, you're right people would have said that. I am not other people.

The fact is Anderson is not a vocal leader. So when I hear about him kicking cones, yelling about wrong routes, or generally pissed off about a missed assignment, I don't automatically assume he is establishing a leadership role. I think he is doing what he does when the heat is on - collapse.

It has nothing to do with what I think other people would do in that situation - whatever that means?? - but everything to do with what I have seen from DA when the heat was on. I am a fan of the Browns and watch every game. I am not some outsider spouting off about what other people saw.

You don't think it is accurate because that is not your opinion of him. If I ruffled your feathers a bit because I have expressed my opinion, I don't know what to tell you. It is a message board, shit happens.

You didn't ruffle my feathers at all. I just think you took a giant leap in your conclusion.

Like somehow you have climbed into Derek's head and are reporting back to the rest of us.

Kind of like the movie Being John Malkovich. Resume your duties. It's great knowing exactly what Derek is feeling at all times.

Zombo

Archived