THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 5 hated opponents

The Gipper

Here is the other side of the coin of the Top 5 favorite player post. Who are your Top 5 most "Hated" opponents? (Presumably of the Browns....but that doesn't have to be the case. Steeler trolls can certainly give their opinions on this. It would be interesting):

1. Elway. Any discussion of this subject often begins and ends right there, fair to say? (obviously "hate" essentially means "grudging respect" ).

2. Mean Joe Greene. I actually respected a Jack Lambert who was just hard nosed. Greene was just filthy dirty. He did 10 times more flagrant dirty plays than that one Joe Turkey Jones.

3. Charley Johnson. Many of you are probably confused by this choice because perhaps you do not recall the name. Johnson was QB of the St. Louis Cardinals in the 60s, before "the merger". The Browns played the Cards regularly. Johnson used to MURDER the Browns. This was when the Browns were always contending for the title, but they had no clue how to stop this guy.

4. Jamal Lewis!!! Yea, when he was with the Ravens who could help but hate him. He said out loud before the game that he would break the NFL single game rushing record against the Browns....and did it. How could you not hate that. (Though, in actuality, I probably had more contempt for the Browns defenders and coaches for allowing him to get away with it).

5. Sam Wyche. Can a coach count? This guy was, in the vernacular, a f***ing idiot. A big pussy. Bitches at Browns fan, yet, in reality, Bengals fans really were worse.

1. Baltimore Ravens

2. NY Giants

3. Pittsburgh Steelers

4. NE Patriots

5. Cincy

I guess I was thinking more in terms of individuals. Needless to say that the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals are going to be on a most hated list if we are talking teams. A lot of people would add the Broncos to your list.

And FYI, once upon a time, the Lions, not the Steelers really were the Browns most hated opponent. Back in the 50s and 60s. This "Great Lakes Cup" or whatever it is they give for winning the Browns/Lions regular preseason game is a remnant of that rivalry.

People I hate:

1. Big Gay Ben- the guy's a complete douchebag, and I xxxxing hate him

2. Hines Ward- I hope Ward tears his ACL or gets hit in a blindside block(OH YEAH! :lol: )

3. John Elway- I hate him because of the you know what

4. Joe Flacco- seriously, he's a one year wonder. ;)

1. John Elway - No explanation should be needed!

2. Ernest Byner - The Fumble. (I know he's not a Browns opponent, but gotta throw him in here.)

3. Bill Cowher - I hated seeing The Chin on that Squeeler sideline.

4. Ray Lewis - He should be in jail!

5. Jamal Lewis - As a Raven, he killed us...over and over again! Then he called his record performance!

1. Hines Ward - dirty, just plain dirty

2. Dwayne Rudd, and his f@cking helmet

3. Steeler Fans - can't hate on the team, their just doing their job, but the fans, oh man I'd like to take of few of them to the woodshed

That's about it, everyone else I can at least tolerate or respect on some level.

1. OJ Simpson - Because I believe he killed two people.

2. Ray Caruth - Because he killed a person

3. Ray Lewis - Because his friends killed someone and he covered for them

4. Mike Vick - Because he killed dogs by the hundreds

5. Plexico Burress - Just a jerk (at Michigan, Pittsburgh and New York) who thinks he's about the law.

I can't dislike a football player for being a good football player. (Elway, Ward, etc)

I can for commiting crimes.

3. Charley Johnson. Many of you are probably confused by this choice because perhaps you do not recall the name. Johnson was QB of the St. Louis Cardinals in the 60s, before "the merger". The Browns played the Cards regularly. Johnson used to MURDER the Browns. This was when the Browns were always contending for the title, but they had no clue how to stop this guy.

Nice call.

Otherwise, just Elway, Belichick, and the Lions of the 50s - Doak Walker and Bobby Layne come to mind.

1. OJ Simpson - Because I believe he killed two people.

2. Ray Caruth - Because he killed a person

3. Ray Lewis - Because his friends killed someone and he covered for them

4. Mike Vick - Because he killed dogs by the hundreds

5. Plexico Burress - Just a jerk (at Michigan, Pittsburgh and New York) who thinks he's about the law.

I can't dislike a football player for being a good football player. (Elway, Ward, etc)

I can for commiting crimes.

How about Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth? Killed people while DUI.

(though the word "hate" is used here, in this I was thinking more about an opponent in his role as a football opponent. Obviously and Elway which we all may say we "hate" is not the same as a Carruth or any of the others mentioned.

"Least liked football opponent might be the better term".

Nice call.

Otherwise, just Elway, Belichick, and the Lions of the 50s - Doak Walker and Bobby Layne come to mind.

Now, those guys, Walker and Layne were even before my time. But as I mentioned on another thread, that Lions/Browns rivalry was the REAL rivalry up until about the 70s. The Steelers weren't diddley squat but the Browns and Lions had played like 4 times for the NFL title. And the Lions always seemed to have the Browns number, even later in the 60s when the Lions were no good really they always still seemed to beat the Browns. That rivalry essentially died with the Browns move to the AFC and the Steeler rivalry picked up....partly because the Steelers finally picked up their performance.

But yea, those Lions you mention would have been the arch enemies.

Now, those guys, Walker and Layne were even before my time. But as I mentioned on another thread, that Lions/Browns rivalry was the REAL rivalry up until about the 70s. The Steelers weren't diddley squat but the Browns and Lions had played like 4 times for the NFL title. And the Lions always seemed to have the Browns number, even later in the 60s when the Lions were no good really they always still seemed to beat the Browns. That rivalry essentially died with the Browns move to the AFC and the Steeler rivalry picked up....partly because the Steelers finally picked up their performance.

But yea, those Lions you mention would have been the arch enemies

I think while the Lions/Browns rivalry today is nowhere near the levels it used to be - more of a competition for last place sometimes - it was still more heated than the Browns/Steelers rivalry of today. Sure we hate them and they hate us. Sure, everyone has contempt for each other. But name me the last time the Browns and the Steelers faced off for the AFC Championship (like the Ravens/Steelers did last year)? I mean, the Lions-Browns met for numerous Championship games - it was like the Celtics/Lakers legendary meetings.

I don't know how we should do it, but the Lions should be made a AFC North team. Maybe disband the Baltimore Ravens for four years, then start a new team in the NFC North called the Baltimore Colts...

That would be a start, anyways.

Rather than pick out some of the obvious villians, I will name a few guys that just personally irked me at one time or another:

Isaac Curtis, Bengals -- Seemed to always kill us.

Lorenzo White, Oilers -- We never seemed to be able to stop him in crunch time

Akili Smith, Bengals --Classless throat-thrashing gesture after one of very few victories

Stoney Case, Ravens-- Classless clown was laughing at expansion Browns' ineptness but his career was the last laugh

Jeff Reed, Steelers -- Google "douchebag" and "kicker" and the first three pictures are Jeff Reed.

Zombo

Some data on Charley Johnson's play against the Browns:

In 1963 Cards won 20-14 and Charley Johnson went 25-34 for 285 yds and 2 TDs.

In 1964 Browns title season, in Game 1, the teams tied 33-33. Charley Johnson went 14-27 for 241 yds and 3 TDs.

In 1964 Game 2 Cards beat Browns 28-19 and CJ went 15 of 22 for 167 yds and 2 TDs. (Browns won title but couldn't beat Charley Johnson)

In 1965, a season when the Browns went to the NFL title game, the Cardinals beat the hell out of them 49-13. Charley Johnson went 11 of 19 with 6, yes, that is SIX touchdown passes (in 11 completions).

Later that year the Browns won a second game, but luckily CJ was out and did not play.

In 1966 the Cards beat the Browns 34-28. Charley Johnson went 11 of 20 for 218 yards and 3 TD passes.

Thankfully, after that season CJ left the Cards and Jim Hart took over.

Recall that all during this time, the Browns were one of the elite teams in the league. The Cards were pretty good too, they had winning records a couple of those years, but they gave the Browns fits.

I think while the Lions/Browns rivalry today is nowhere near the levels it used to be - more of a competition for last place sometimes - it was still more heated than the Browns/Steelers rivalry of today. Sure we hate them and they hate us. Sure, everyone has contempt for each other. But name me the last time the Browns and the Steelers faced off for the AFC Championship (like the Ravens/Steelers did last year)? I mean, the Lions-Browns met for numerous Championship games - it was like the Celtics/Lakers legendary meetings.

I don't know how we should do it, but the Lions should be made a AFC North team. Maybe disband the Baltimore Ravens for four years, then start a new team in the NFC North called the Baltimore Colts...

That would be a start, anyways.

Well, the Browns last playoff opponent was the Steelers, in that game that the Browns blew because Butch Davis decided to go into the prevent defense in the middle of the third quarter, plus Dennis Northcutt decided he would give us a preview of Braylon Edwards career by dropping a pass that would have sealed the win for the Browns.

Rather than pick out some of the obvious villians, I will name a few guys that just personally irked me at one time or another:

Akili Smith, Bengals --Classless throat-thrashing gesture after one of very few victories

Stoney Case, Ravens-- Classless clown was laughing at expansion Browns' ineptness but his career was the last laugh

Jeff Reed, Steelers -- Google "duechebag" and "kicker" and the first three pictures are Jeff Reed.

Zombo

Correction: Akili's victory over the Browns was his ONLY victory as a starting QB in his NFL career.

John Stallworth-that f##ing sliding catch 3" off the ground

Terry Bradshaw-that f##ing throw to Stallworth 3" off the ground

MeanJoe-CHEATER SQEELER DIRTBAG

Jack Lambert-CHEATER SQEELER DIRTBAG

Gerry Glanville-wannabe Elvis... what a douchebag

Sorry Gipper "Least liked opponent"

Na I hated these pricks

(sep for Glanville ...he just made you wanna vomit)

Jeff Reed, Steelers -- Google "douchebag" and "kicker" and the first three pictures are Jeff Reed.

Zombo

Hahaha I don't know if you were trying to be clever or not, but if you do Google "douchebag kicker" Jeff Reed's picture is the first to show up.

Hahaha I don't know if you were trying to be clever or not, but if you do Google "douchebag kicker" Jeff Reed's picture is the first to show up.

Oh no, I tested it first. In fact, that's how I found out ... I couldn't remember his name and I googled "douchebag kicker" ... clicked on "images" and wah lah...

jeff-reed-pittsburgh-steelers-drunk-pict

jeff-reed-arrested-moron-douchebag.jpg

Zombo

The Cards always had our number....Hart didn't do us any favors either.

I pretty much dislike all the teams and players about the same....I kind of, sort of like the Titans, Falcons (semi local teams), and like the Bucs as my folks settled in the Tampa Bay area and Hugh Culverhouse was a personal friend of the family on my mothers side....Alabama connections.

1. Ravens (they should not exist!!)

2. Steelers (why are T. Smith and S. Holmes there?!)

3. Broncos (weep! Sob!)

4. Cowboys (see below)

5. Ravens (yes I hate them oh so much)

I laugh at myself at the small things that get me. Don't remember the year but it was a Browns at Dallas game when Staubach threw an interception and the Browns corner had a clear but long path to the end zone when Bob Hayes flew out nowhere to make the tackle short of paydirt. The Browns eventually lost the game and I've hated the Cowboys ever since. Just gotta laugh

Ravens (they should not exist!!)

What about the Bengals for the same reasons: they shouldn't exist! Art Modell - the great villain of Brown's history - fired Paul Brown. Brown went down to Cincy and started the Bengals for the AFL. Sure they've been one of the worst AFC North teams, but we should still hate them with a passion for reminding us about Darth Modell's firing of Jedi Paul Brown...

Okay so the Kosar teams are the closest you Brownies fans ever came to the Super Bowl, so why hate John Elway over it? If your team was really better you'd have thumped the Broncos like the NFC teams did during the preceding Super Bowls. If your team was really "World Champion" quality like you hope to believe, then really it's your coaches "Choke Master" and "Choke Jr." that you should be mad at. I mean come on, you let Elway drive 98 yards in under 2 minutes to thump you from the Super Bowl. That prevent defense prevented you from winning more than Elway's masterful drive did. Choke Jr. would go on to curse Pittsburgh for 15 years with that same sort of BS. Christ Elway thumped K. Stewart and Choke Jr. from the Super Bowl in '97...did we cry about it. Brady thumped us from the Super Bowl in 2001 and 2004, did we cry about it. Hell no, we're now Sixburgh you double zeroes!!!

Since you tend to be so pathetic and spend most of your time hating, I'd suggest Art Modell be tops on your list. He stole your team, then took them to win a Super Bowl, with a defense considered amongst the best ever. You could've had that first Super Bowl in the bag and even some bragging cred. Now you hide in your own little bboard hurling insults at Steeler fans and deleting all replies. Talk about a great fan base.

So who's coming in last in the AFC North this year, you Stains or the Bungholes? Super Bowl #7 is just around the corner!!!

Okay so the Kosar teams are the closest you Brownies fans ever came to the Super Bowl, so why hate John Elway over it? If your team was really better you'd have thumped the Broncos like the NFC teams did during the preceding Super Bowls. If your team was really "World Champion" quality like you hope to believe, then really it's your coaches "Choke Master" and "Choke Jr." that you should be mad at. I mean come on, you let Elway drive 98 yards in under 2 minutes to thump you from the Super Bowl. That prevent defense prevented you from winning more than Elway's masterful drive did. Choke Jr. would go on to curse Pittsburgh for 15 years with that same sort of BS. Christ Elway thumped K. Stewart and Choke Jr. from the Super Bowl in '97...did we cry about it. Brady thumped us from the Super Bowl in 2001 and 2004, did we cry about it. Hell no, we're now Sixburgh you double zeroes!!!

Since you tend to be so pathetic and spend most of your time hating, I'd suggest Art Modell be tops on your list. He stole your team, then took them to win a Super Bowl, with a defense considered amongst the best ever. You could've had that first Super Bowl in the bag and even some bragging cred. Now you hide in your own little bboard hurling insults at Steeler fans and deleting all replies. Talk about a great fan base.

So who's coming in last in the AFC North this year, you Stains or the Bungholes? Super Bowl #7 is just around the corner!!!

Go back to shitsburgh, you xxxxin' yinzer. :angry:

Archived