THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agent Tracker

The Gipper

Perhaps a bit too early for this, given that the FA period does not start for another  31 days.  Nevertheless, it shows who is out there and perhaps available, and the conversation about who the Browns could be looking at will start up fairly soon.  May as well have a bit of a scorecard:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Here are who Spotrac above list as the Top Ten available FAs:

1. Dak Prescott   QB

2.  Von Miller  OLB   Club Option

3. AJ Green  WR

4.. Matt Judon  OLB

5.  JJ Watt  DE

6. Leonard Williams  DE

7. Kawaan Short  DT

8.  Melvin Ingram  OLB

9. Bud Dupree  OLB

10. Shaquil Barrett  OLB

All I can say is that 8 of the 10 play D and that is a lot of defensive talent any of whom would look nice here.    I suspect a few of these could be franchise tagged.   And they may all cost a pretty penny which the Browns may not be willing or able cap wise, to fork over.  But hell....I wish we could go sign like 3 of these guys. 

BTW, Olivier Vernon is ranked the 29th top  FA there, the highest ranked current Browns player to become a FA. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Here are who Spotrac above list as the Top Ten available FAs:

1. Dak Prescott   QB

2.  Von Miller  OLB   Club Option

3. AJ Green  WR

4.. Matt Judon  OLB

5.  JJ Watt  DE

6. Leonard Williams  DE

7. Kawaan Short  DT

8.  Melvin Ingram  OLB

9. Bud Dupree  OLB

10. Shaquil Barrett  OLB

All I can say is that 8 of the 10 play D and that is a lot of defensive talent any of whom would look nice here.    I suspect a few of these could be franchise tagged.   And they may all cost a pretty penny which the Browns may not be willing or able cap wise, to fork over.  But hell....I wish we could go sign like 3 of these guys. 

BTW, Olivier Vernon is ranked the 29th top  FA there, the highest ranked current Browns player to become a FA. 

I would like us to get one of those defensive players if possible. Any of those guys should help.

Give me Troy Hill Slot Corner Rams.   Let’s resign Money Mitch.  Draft a development type DB.  Maybe throw a one year incentive based type deal to Vernon Hargreaves who has talent back in his days from UF but hasn’t done much in the league.  Of course for those holding out on the Hope maybe Greedy makes an appearance and you call it day for that position.  

Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.

Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.

Baker

Chubb

Conklin

Treeter

maybe hunt.

Ward

28 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.

Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.

Baker

Chubb

Conklin

Treeter

maybe hunt.

Ward

Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.

I think you let those play out.

I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not.  He’s here for two more years too. 

Baker should get an extension within 12 months.  Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50. 

Post 2022.  It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees.  It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:56 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.

I think you let those play out.

I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not.  He’s here for two more years too. 

Baker should get an extension within 12 months.  Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50. 

Post 2022.  It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees.  It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era. 

Conklin signed a 3 year del.  We have him this season and next.  His, Treeters, and Bitonios contracts expire the same year, 2023....meaning 22 is their last season here under contract..

Updating list of cap casualties around NFL during 2021 offseason

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/21/updating-list-of-cap-casualties-around-nfl-during-2021-offseason-free-agency-packers/

Atlanta Falcons

S Ricardo Allen
DL Allen Bailey

Baltimore Ravens

RB Mark Ingram

Buffalo Bills

CB E.J. Gaines

Carolina Panthers

DL Kawann Short
S Tre Boston
P Michael Palardy
DE Stephen Weatherly

Denver Broncos

CB A.J. Bouye
DL Kyle Peko

Green Bay Packers

LB Christian Kirksey
OT Rick Wagner

Houston Texans

DL J.J. Watt

New Orleans Saints

G Nick Easton

Philadelphia Eagles

WR Desean Jackson

Seattle Seahawks

OL Chance Warmack
TE Luke Willson

List will update as more players around the NFL are released.

Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/rashard-higgins-hopes-to-re-sign-with-the-browns-before-hitting-the-market-but-i-havent-seen-an-offer-yet.html

A source told cleveland.com that the Browns would like to have Higgins back, but at the right price. According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay.

Texans  release Duke Johnson:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-texans-release-rb-duke-185550033.html

I didn't think he had deteriorated much as a player.

Houston also released their starting center:  Nick Martin:

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-cut-center-nick-martin-222103262.html

It also looks like Houston is going to let Will Fuller go as a Free Agent:

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-allow-wr-fuller-test-160837473.html

So, what are they doing over there?  I had not heard that they were such dire cap straits that they needed to dump salary.  Or are they just in complete housecleaning mode?  If they are doing this....may as well get rid of Watson for all the picks they can get.

11 hours ago, Vambo said:

Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’

According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay?

*They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? 🤔)

*Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.  

Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned 

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

*They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? 🤔)

*Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.  

Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned 

Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per. 

He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend.  Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.

15 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per. 

He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend.  Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.

He has only been here for 7 years....that is by no means "old"  when it comes to offensive linemen  where some very good ones have like 15 year careers.    I mean, look at these guys:

36 Ray Brown G ^ 1986–2005 262
67 Ed White G 1969–1985 241
133 Will Shields* G 1993–2006 224
147 Max Montoya G 1979–1994 223
150 Randall McDaniel* G 1988–2001 222
172 Gene Upshaw* G 1967–1981 217
191 Kevin Gogan G 1987–2000 213
233 Chris Gray G 1993–2007 208
243 Randy Rasmussen G 1967–1981 207
256 Steve Wisniewski G 1989–2001 206
256 Alan Faneca G 1998–2010 206
256 Roberto Garza G, C 2001–2014 206
282 Doug Wilkerson G 1970–1984 204
290 Larry Allen* G 1994–2007 203
301 Gene Hickerson* G 1958–1973 202
301 Joe Scibelli G 1961–1975 202

Bitonio has played in  just  95 games in his career so far. 

Also,  it has been at least like  5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various  "Tags",  yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.  

Is it a matter of  A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision   B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players  C.  Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away? 

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Also,  it has been at least like  5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various  "Tags",  yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.  

Is it a matter of  A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision   B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players  C.  Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away? 

Or D. Teams do not need to use it.  (See Browns and I’m sure some others)

Higgins is a guy that many of us wanted to see this past season.  And we DID get to see a lot of him.  During a game, Chris Collinsworth said that He's not fast, doesn't run particularly good routes, but he has a chemistry with Mayfield.  I don't get to see much of his route running from my seat on the couch.  But like I've always said about him, He catches it when you throw it to him.  

The coaches ALWAYS had glowing things to say about him, his work ethic, his attitude.  But for the first half of the season it was borderline whether he'd be 'up' for the game.  It was always Kadrell Hodge.  Obviously, losing OBJ got Higgins more involved.  And then Hodge got hurt so Higgins became a valued commodity.  

So, here's my opinion:  Higgins does whatever you tell him, has a good team attitude, catches the ball....He's not fast nor particularly shifty.   I think they'd like to keep him but they're not going to pay him too much.  And since we had 12 wins including a playoff win, someone is going to offer him more than we think he's worth...and so now we don't have to decide who's 'up'....it'll be Hodge.

Surprised to see no mention of this article...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-browns-interested-in-lavonte-david-and-breshad-perriman-per-report/

Love David... sign one, daft one...

Perriman? Big and fast, but has underachieved everywhere he's been... including with us in 2018.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-browns-interested-in-lavonte-david-and-breshad-perriman-per-report/

Perriman? Big and fast, but has underachieved everywhere he's been... including with us in 2018.

Baker makes Perriman look good...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The interest in  Lavonte David has been mentioned on this forum,  a few times.  Not certain where this guy has had his stuck...but I have a pretty good idea.