THE BROWNS BOARD

The "Face of the Team" is....

WPB Dawg Fan

THE TEAM!!!

At least, that is how it is supposed to be according to Mangini:

No QB starter named yet for Cleveland Browns' second preseason game

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Wednesday August 19, 2009, 1:24 PM

Tracy Boulian, The Plain DealerDerek Anderson and Brady Quinn watch the action from the sideline during camp in Berea.

BEREA, Ohio -- Saturday's starting quarterback for the Browns against Detroit will be ... stay tuned.

Coach Eric Mangini declined again to name Derek Anderson, whose turn is up, or Brady Quinn, who started in Green Bay, Wis., last weekend.

"We'll talk about it at the end of the week," Mangini said.

The only thing Mangini did concede was the if a two-minute drill presents itself in the first half, he would give it to Anderson because Quinn had the opportunity to run one against Green Bay.

The coach has no intention apparently to giving both quarterbacks playing time into the second half. He maintains he has succeeded in his mission to giving each quarterback virtually equal reps.

"Looking at the rep chart over the course of training camp, there's four reps separating them," he said.

Mangini said he is not pressed to end the QB competition for the third preseason game Aug. 29 against Tennessee. The third game usually serves as the dress rehearsal for the season opener.

"Not necessarily, no," he said. "If it works out that way, then I'm OK with that."

He also doesn't feel it necessary to establish the starting quarterback as the face of the team.

"The face of the team should be the team," Mangini said. "In terms of timetable, to me it's about making the right decision not the quick decision."

I am starting to think we will not know the QB for opening day until sometime the week before the opening game. And I am not convinced that this is not a good thing.

Look at it this way. If we are not 'depending' on a QB, then the rest of the guys are going to know they have to step up...every game...every play. That is not a bad thing.

If you have all the other players realizing that they are going to be integral parts of the team and not just a supporting cast to the QB....then if the QB 'does' step it up...he will be doing it with a team that is playing at their best and not 'needing' him to carry them.

Basically, 'great' QB play would be a bonus...not something that the team is relying on.

I kinda like it.

I don't like it. I think he's just blowing smoke, though.

The team may very well know who the starter is come Monday, even if it isn't announced.

You have to beleive this team knows who its starter is already.

They know who has had their shot and who will get their shot next.

Its not that they don't like 'him' they just don't want to give him another chance.

Mangini went on to say that he wants 2 QB's ready to go on day 1...and used NE as the prime example of why.

His quotes included that it is not only the QB position that he is doing this...and that he in fact has had Steinbach at LT and Fraley at LG...and that these were not wasted reps as they may need to go to those positions if Thomas goes down.

He is all about ability to swap out players at all positions so that the team doesn't take a hit when any one player goes down. He is 'truly' doing the NE way in that...not just getting a couple of NE type players...but actually having practice to make sure the backups are READY...and what position is more important to not skip a beat than at QB.

Here is the thing. Most teams are looking at a real issue if their starting QB goes down. We are actually looking at having the best rated backup in the league (no matter which is the starter) ready to step in. That means, we are in a pretty decent position to survive the injury. Having both players practice all the way to the end with the idea of starting only enhances that potential.

Keep in mind, most starting QB's only play about 1 quarter in games 1 and 2, then about 3 quarters in game 3...then take off game 4. Our guys are going to follow the same in games 1 and 2...then probably a half each in game 3...then a half each in game 4....which means they get a little MORE reps than the named starters.

Mangini went on to say that he wants 2 QB's ready to go on day 1...and used NE as the prime example of why.

His quotes included that it is not only the QB position that he is doing this...and that he in fact has had Steinbach at LT and Fraley at LG...and that these were not wasted reps as they may need to go to those positions if Thomas goes down.

He is all about ability to swap out players at all positions so that the team doesn't take a hit when any one player goes down. He is 'truly' doing the NE way in that...not just getting a couple of NE type players...but actually having practice to make sure the backups are READY...and what position is more important to not skip a beat than at QB.

Here is the thing. Most teams are looking at a real issue if their starting QB goes down. We are actually looking at having the best rated backup in the league (no matter which is the starter) ready to step in. That means, we are in a pretty decent position to survive the injury. Having both players practice all the way to the end with the idea of starting only enhances that potential.

Keep in mind, most starting QB's only play about 1 quarter in games 1 and 2, then about 3 quarters in game 3...then take off game 4. Our guys are going to follow the same in games 1 and 2...then probably a half each in game 3...then a half each in game 4....which means they get a little MORE reps than the named starters.

I can buy that. I'm sure Ratliff is ready for the challenge if 'he' gets hurt.

Derek Anderson is the starter, they just don't want the fans to know how mediocre Brady Queen is.

Seriously savages overpaid contract with DA automatically puts anderson in the drivers seat regardless of the competition BQ has to really turn it on to win against money already wasted on DA and 11 million that would be added for BQ..immediate club economics favor DA long term economics would favor BQ..

A cheap club unwilling to bench a lesser talent because he is overpaid will be seen as just that especially as the browns unraval this season and remain the laughing stock of the nfl..

Seriously savages overpaid contract with DA automatically puts anderson in the drivers seat regardless of the competition BQ has to really turn it on to win against money already wasted on DA and 11 million that would be added for BQ..immediate club economics favor DA long term economics would favor BQ..

A cheap club unwilling to bench a lesser talent because he is overpaid will be seen as just that especially as the browns unraval this season and remain the laughing stock of the nfl..

someone piss in your cereal?

I think I said it in another thread, and somebody has already stated it in this thread, just because we as fans and the media doesn't know who the starting QB is going to be on opening day does not mean that the team does not know.

Mangini sure is making a huge effort to prove to everyone that he's giving each QB an equal chance to win the job, like when he proudly claimed that only four reps separate them up until this point.

It's like he's trying to hide the fact that he already picked the guy.

Archived