THE BROWNS BOARD

Wednesday Practice HIGHLIGHTS

Dan in Florida

Guest Masters
Apparently you don't know what 8 in the box means. Watch what the SS does when Quinnie is in the game and then notice that he isn't in your television view area when Anderson is in.

Only if you watch the games from 2007.

It's also not really 8 in the box if the SS still drops back into coverage after the snap.

Lums, I know there's no reason to address you like a human, but this is NOT a matter of Quinn "chucking it as far as he can in practice." We're talking about going deep with ease in the scrimmage and then in practice after practice. In pads, no run up, with players all around him. He proved he can go 65 in a game setting very easily... and that's simply not true of all NFL starting quarterbacks. It just isn't. At worst, it puts him in the top half.

now Quinn is in the top half of all QB arms in the league?

this story gets sweeter and sweeter by the day. I predict by next week shep will claim Quinn has the best rifle in the league.

You can say Quinnie throws a football 65 yards. But really it's like you telling us you're not gay. It just isn't true.

Guest Masters
now Quinn is in the top half of all QB arms in the league?

Now? Ummm...... Shep has been saying that same thing or some version of it for quite some time. That simply puts Quinn some where between 16 and 1. That's a big gap, and the same as saying he is middle of the pack.

Now? Ummm...... Shep has been saying that same thing or some version of it for quite some time. That simply puts Quinn some where between 16 and 1. That's a big gap, and the same as saying he is middle of the pack.

Anderson

Palmer

Rothshit

Flacco

Cutler

Schaub

Rogers

Favre

Collins

Russell

P Manning

McNabb

Campbell

Ryan

Orton

Brady

Quinnie ain't crackin that 16.

Might also have to consider Cassel, Bulger, Romo, T Edwards, Rivers, E Manning and Warner ahead of Quinnie as well, but they're probably better comparisons.

care to backup any more of shep's Quinn lovin bullshit?

As far as where Quinn ranks among starters, assuming he starts and Anderson doesn't, I know Cutler and Russell have more arm (assuming Russell starts, of course). I'd say Flacco, too. If Stafford starts, he has that kind of bazooka. Favre did but not so much now. Aaron Rodgers has that lightning release and spins it fast... and I might give him an edge over Quinn, but not by a ton. I'll give Carson Palmer an edge, too.

That's six guys I'd assume have more arm than Quinn. After that? A lot of good NFL arms but nothing insane. Matt Ryan is probably near the top of the next tier, but there isn't much separating any of them.

I'd say Quinn ranks somewhere between 10th and 16th.

who f'ing cares about his arm. Can he win?

Guest Aloysius

Former Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah discussed this topic recently. Here's what he came up with:

Most teams grade arm strength from 3-7... 3 poor, 7 outstanding

Position specific values: 3-reject, 4-below avg/inconsistent 5-average 6-good, consistent not rare 7-superior

• Derek Anderson: 7
  • Kyle Boller: 7
  • Jay Cutler: 7
  • Joe Flacco: 7
  • Donovan McNabb: 7
  • Aaron Rodgers: 7 (used to be a 6)
  • Jamarcus Russell: 7
  • Matt Stafford: 7
  • Michael Vick: 7

• Tom Brady: 6+
  • Matt Cassel: 6+
  • David Garrard: 6+
  • Tavaris Jackson: 6+
  • Peyton Manning: 6+
  • Carson Palmer: 6+
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 6+

• Kerry Collins: 6
  • Eli Manning: 6
  • Tony Romo: 6

• Philip Rivers: 6-
  • Matt Ryan: 6-
  • Brady Quinn: 6-

• Drew Brees: 5

• Jake Delhomme: 5-

• Chad Pennington: 4
  • Alex Smith: 4

But as he cautioned, arm strength is only one part of the equation. Poise and accuracy are much more important.

Guest Masters
And I don't see Campbell, Schaub, or Orton on that list at all, so I'd assume that would push Quinn down further.

I'd assume that you have never seen Campbell, Schaub, Ryan, or Orton throw a football.

That's not a ranking in order you moron. It's putting them in categories.

Underwhich Quinn falls in the "good, consistent not rare" range with Brady and Manning.

RE: "consistent, not rare"....... do you see there's a minus sign next to that 6? I wonder what that minus sign means?

FYI there are 19 guys in the various categories ranked above Quinn's category. Does that help you deduce an overall ranking or are you stuck logically at that point?

Derek Anderson: 7 <LI>Kyle Boller: 7 <LI>Jamarcus Russell: 7 <LI>Michael Vick: 7

Man those are some names to be proud to be associated with.

Why is everyone ignoring that Drew Brees - who had some great stats last year - has a 5 next to him. It takes more than these numbers to determine how well a QB will play...

RE: "consistent, not rare"....... do you see there's a minus sign next to that 6? I wonder what that minus sign means?

FYI there are 19 guys in the various categories ranked above Quinn's category. Does that help you deduce an overall ranking or are you stuck logically at that point?

uhh...Did you not notice that, of those 19, only maybe 14 or 15 are starters? That puts Quinn right there in that top 16 that Shep was talking about. And, as has been pointed out by several people, this list is just arm strength. It takes a lot more than arm strength to be a top QB in the league. Brady seems to be right there with the stronger arm strength starters in the league. We'll soon find out where he ranks in other categories. Certainly can't be any worse than 32 ranked QB in the league!

Guest Aloysius
- And for what little it's worth, Kerry Collins can throw 62 yards. In shorts. Without a pass rush.

And just to be clear, Jeremiah said that Kerry Collins is a 6 at this point of his career. Probably was a 7 a couple years ago.

Archived