THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini. PICK A DAMN QB ALREADY!!!!

bugzilla

I've been hearing that Mangini still has not named a starting QB. Even Minnesota has a starting QB, and he started his first practice yesterday. Quinn is obviously better than Anderson, so why isn't he getting the job so he can get the snaps he needs with the first team. Anderson had a 0.0 QB rating in the Green Bay game. It's impossible to choose him. I guess coaches can't get over Anderson's arm strength. Alot of good that does you when our wideouts drop the ball. Better to dink and dunk down the field, eat up the clock and at least have a chance to get into the red zone.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather have him make the RIGHT call than just a fast decision.. The more competition, the more pressure on both of these guys..it's better for the entire team to do this. What's your rush? We don't play until september. Both guys are getting plenty of reps in practice.

Mangini has made his own bed. Waiting for 4 more days is reasonable, but then its late August and its time to shit or get off the pot.

Cutler played nearly the entire first half Saturday night and Quinn posted better numbers with just 2 drives. So, this microscope decision making sure is lame. I'm still amazed we're entertaining not trying a ass-busting first round draft choice over the 32nd ranked QB on a 4-12 team, but it is what it is.

No idea if Quinn will work out, but its time to pick a horse as the race is about to start. Come Sunday morning - make a flippin' call.

If Mangini is still deciding a week from now (assuming the QB's continue along at this same pace - tie in practice, Quinn better in games), then I'm starting to question his process.

I don't care if he picks the QB five minutes before the first game (would prefer earlier though) as long as he makes the right decision. Quinn has not shown he can throw a 20 yard route. If it is 3rd and 20 do we bring DA in? On the other hand DA has not proven that he can drive the ball down the field and be patient when necessary. If DA cannot be patient he will always be baited to try the longer downfield passes.

I don't care if he picks the QB five minutes before the first game (would prefer earlier though) as long as he makes the right decision. Quinn has not shown he can throw a 20 yard route. If it is 3rd and 20 do we bring DA in? On the other hand DA has not proven that he can drive the ball down the field and be patient when necessary. If DA cannot be patient he will always be baited to try the longer downfield passes.

:huh:

I'm more inclined to wish that Mangini makes his choice for the starting O line quickly... This is one area of the team that needs to know who is playing next to each other.... Whoever is at QB will benefit from an O line playing as a unit...

Peace

T.Dawg

You got it my friend. I'm more worried about the Oline and the running game then who is at QB. The hell with throwing the ball downfield this week and counting who completed how many passes, they better get their running game going or it won't matter who the QB is.

Uh, what?! He hasn't? Are you living under a rock or something?

Posturing, manuevering or damage control, its the right way to go about it for Mangini.

He's stated that he wants his players to all prepare as if they are starting. From last year performance not many are gauranteed the same starting role.

I do think they know who's the starting qb though, and have for a while.

Do you want to guess where we'd be if RAC was still around? (my guess is Berea would've burned to the ground by now)

A couple of things.

Deep down I totally agree with Bugzilla. Don't beat around the bush anymore.......are all of the coaches so afraid of hurting DA's feelings. That's the impression I get. Right now I can't help but really wish we got rid of DA for something.......anything, but alas his value diminished after week 2 of last season. I'm actually sick every time I see him with the ball or in our depth chart as a starting QB. What a shame......i'd love to see him prove me wrong.

In terms of strategy and a business point of view I can see what Mangini is doing......he knows Quinn is going to be the starter and he's probably not wanting to give him a silver spoon......rather, make him want it......earn it.......get the most out of him. Frustrating now......but I think come week one there will be a clear starter.......BQ is our man, and if last season are signs of what is to come, once he is named as the starter DA's name needs to be removed completely...if we don't he will only be a continuous distraction.....trade his ass out of town.......it needs to be done.

This is about Mangini demonstrating his fairness to the team. He may know who he likes better as a starter, but he's going to hold those cards close to his chest. Can you imagine what would happen if Mangini said, after one preseason game, that the Open and Fair QB Competition was over? Many who had believed it would be fair would call it a farce.

Mangini outlined his objective a few weeks back - rotate the starters for the two preseason games. Now sure, he's said to the press that he's not sure he will keep to that. But after DA's performance on Saturday against Green Bay, he wants to put pressure on DA to perform and show him he's still in the contest.

Bottom line is that the QB competition is as much about identifying a QB as it is building credibility among your players. Having outlined a plan to compete the QBs, Mangini will show follow through to gain respect from the players. He wants to make sure that when he chooses the QB, no one will doubt that the competition was fair and that the starter - whomever it may be - is the best man for the job.

He already has his QB. He probably already had him picked before camp. Any coach worth their rep would.

A wishy washy coach is not a good sign.

I think most on here were saying that and the team knew that. It's about making sure BQ wasn't taking anything for granted and continued to work his ass off. It's also about competition at every position and insuring your backups are ready. It's about injuries and being able to work under adverse situations.

As said before on here, I'm more concerned about the Oline and the RBs. Because without a running game to hold back the pass rush by keeping the defense honest, it doesn't matter who the QB is.

I agree with Kosar: You don't insist that you're gonna play it out and then don't. That's a bad precedent.

But if the Browns don't name their starter next week, use the tune-up game, and rest that guy in Fake Game Four, they will be shorting reps to the eventual starter any way you cut it... and they'll also risk injury to that guy a week before the opener. There are reasons for that pattern.

how many days did quinn need for his first nfl start?

he'll be fine, this way DA gets some much needed reps w/ the 1's. Just in case quinn goes down via injury.

I agree with Kosar: You don't insist that you're gonna play it out and then don't. That's a bad precedent.

But if the Browns don't name their starter next week, use the tune-up game, and rest that guy in Fake Game Four, they will be shorting reps to the eventual starter any way you cut it... and they'll also risk injury to that guy a week before the opener. There are reasons for that pattern.

Adam Schecter (sp?) at ESPN thinks it's going to be Quinn after last weeks performance against the Packers. Said Mangini wants to run a ball control offense, and having an interception machine on the field will kill that concept real quick.

In terms of strategy and a business point of view I can see what Mangini is doing......he knows Quinn is going to be the starter and he's probably not wanting to give him a silver spoon......rather, make him want it......earn it.......get the most out of him. Frustrating now......but I think come week one there will be a clear starter.......BQ is our man, and if last season are signs of what is to come, once he is named as the starter DA's name needs to be removed completely...if we don't he will only be a continuous distraction.....trade his ass out of town.......it needs to be done.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but this is a ridiculous notion. Quinn isn't the type that needs "uncertainty" as a motivational tool. Charlie Weis didn't pretend like he was going to start Evan Sharpley every week just to keep Quinn working hard to "earn it."

I think Mangini has picked his guy, but is doing exactly as he says, having the back up ready in case of injury. I just don't think DA will fit this offense very well, is the only problem with the game plan I can see.

Adam Schecter (sp?) at ESPN thinks it's going to be Quinn after last weeks performance against the Packers.

correction: Shefter thinks it's going to be Quinn after doing his research which involved reading Steve Doerschuck's blog and then reading "Hey Tony" in the PD.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but this is a ridiculous notion. Quinn isn't the type that needs "uncertainty" as a motivational tool. Charlie Weis didn't pretend like he was going to start Evan Sharpley every week just to keep Quinn working hard to "earn it."

I think Mangini has picked his guy, but is doing exactly as he says, having the back up ready in case of injury. I just don't think DA will fit this offense very well, is the only problem with the game plan I can see.

Really? That's the ONLY problem with the game plan?

We have problems at the O-line problem, the defense and three quarterbacks who threw four interceptions between them in one game...

Really? That's the ONLY problem with the game plan?

We have problems at the O-line problem, the defense and three quarterbacks who threw four interceptions between them in one game...

This is the game plan i was referring to....

having the back up ready in case of injury

...because that's what we were talking about.

Archived