THE BROWNS BOARD

Cue Up the Twilight Zone Theme. Baker spots UFO

The Gipper

From NBCSports: 

This is gonna make for a great Progressive commercial.

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield posted recently on Twitter that he and his wife saw a UFO while driving on Wednesday night. Well, they’re nearly certain they saw a UFO.

“Almost 100%, Em and I just saw a UFO drop straight out of the sky on our way home from dinner,” Mayfield said. “We stopped and looked at each other and asked if either of us saw it. . . . Very bright ball of light going straight down out of the sky towards Lake Travis. Anybody else witness this?”

Mayfield is not alone in thinking we are not alone. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers claims that he has seen a UFO, and that the orange object in the sky was eventually chased by fighter jets.

For years, many have suspected that the government has hidden information about close encounters. Over the past year, the government has systemically been sharing the truth about UFOs, and no one seems to care.

It’s the height of human arrogance and conceit to believe that, in a vast and limitless universe, we inhabit the only planet inhabited with life. The only question is whether we find another planet like ours before the residents of that planet find us.

Then again, there’s a good chance they already have. Hopefully, they won’t be bringing any cookbooks.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I am going to use this to augment the Survey thread:

Have you ever seen what you believe to be a UFO? 

I have not, not that I recall. 

Yeah when I left it on an unattended burner once in a lot of grease. Could not tell what it was.😋 Just another UFO (unidentified frying object).

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

It’s the height of human arrogance and conceit to believe that, in a vast and limitless universe, we inhabit the only planet inhabited with life.

The Fermi Paradox.  Where are all the aliens?   We don't see them.  We don't hear them.  We don't see any sign of them.  Not with our best telescopes.  No signals from anywhere in the observable universe.  No signs of Dyson Swarms.  No self replicating robots colonizing a galaxy.  No evidence that a civilization ever got that far.  And in theory, there's been plenty of time before us, billions of years, for many civilizations to have progressed Waaaay beyond our current condition.  There's a Great Filter out ahead of us (most probably ahead of us, unless we're the first).  What is the Filter?  Is it a killer virus that wipes out life?  Is it that civilizations always ruin their habitat before they can figure out how to live as one with the planet?  Do civilizations eventually blow themselves up, or actually engineer and unleash a killer virus?  Does the universe wipe out life by gamma ray bursts eventually?  Asteroid / comet collisions?  

Is abiogenesis REALLY hard?  Was that the filter?   

If a civilization exists at such a distance that we will never know of them due to the expansion of the universe, then does it matter that they exist?  If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, did it make a sound?

I'm sure that Mayfield & Rogers saw something weird.  But the answer is never aliens.  

• Upvote 1

One possible explanation for the sighting is that Mr Mayfield witnessed the latest SpaceX launch.

UFO sighting: NFL star Baker Mayfield claims he saw UFO over Texas ‘Almost 100%’

March 4, 2021

Mr Baker wrote on Twitter: “Almost 100 percent, Em and I just saw a UFO drop straight out of the sky on our way home from dinner.

“We stopped and looked at each other and asked if either of us saw it.

“Very bright ball of light going straight down out of the sky towards Lake Travis. Anybody else witness this?”

Indeed, others had witnessed the phenomenon. One person, named David, responded to Mr Baker and said: “No way, I thought I was the only one!

ufo-sighting-baker-mayfield-1405523.jpg?r=1614860851359

ufo-2935141.jpg?r=1614860856009

“I live on a Lake Travis and my parents called me crazy when I ran to tell them. No way you saw it too!”

There has been no official explanation for the supposed UFO sighting, but as astronomer Patrick Valley pointed out in response to Mr Mayfield, there is usually a logical explanation.

Mr Valley said: “Baker, the number one thing I’ve come to realise over the past five years or so of studying the night sky is that it’s never aliens.”

One possible explanation for the sighting is that Mr Mayfield witnessed the latest SpaceX launch.

lake-travis-2935143.jpg?r=1614860856118

Hours before Mr Mayfield’s tweet, SpaceX launched its Starship SN10 rocket, allowing it to cruise for 10 kilometres before landing it.

Elon Musk and co launched the rocket from its Boca Chica testing range, which is only a few hundred miles from Lake Travis.

Alternatively, Mr Mayfield could have witnessed a meteor dropping to Earth.

Astronomer Chris Impey, from the University of Arizona, said most UFOs have “mundane” explanations.]

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

UFO sighting: NFL star Baker Mayfield claims he saw UFO over Texas ‘Almost 100%’

March 4, 2021

Mr Baker wrote on Twitter: “Almost 100 percent, Em and I just saw a UFO drop straight out of the sky on our way home from dinner.

“We stopped and looked at each other and asked if either of us saw it.

“Very bright ball of light going straight down out of the sky towards Lake Travis. Anybody else witness this?”

Indeed, others had witnessed the phenomenon. One person, named David, responded to Mr Baker and said: “No way, I thought I was the only one!

“I live on a Lake Travis and my parents called me crazy when I ran to tell them. No way you saw it too!”

There has been no official explanation for the supposed UFO sighting, but as astronomer Patrick Valley pointed out in response to Mr Mayfield, there is usually a logical explanation.

Mr Valley said: “Baker, the number one thing I’ve come to realise over the past five years or so of studying the night sky is that it’s never aliens.”

Well....note:   Baker did NOT say he saw "An Alien Spacecraft".....he said he saw a UFO.  Unidentified Flying Object.   You can profess to seeing a UFO without professing to see an alien spacecraft.   Its just that He didn't know what it was.   Sounded to me more like a meteor,   or it could have been SpaceX.  (But, doesn't an space launch go up, not down?)

On the other hand, perhaps even more inexplicable was the UFO the pilots saw last week:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/american-airlines-pilot-reportedly-sees-ufo-while-flying-over-new-mexico.html

I live right by a common Miramar Base flight path.   The odd lights and sounds are so common I laugh anymore when someone by us claims they spotted a UFO.  

Lake Travis TX, or some other area where non commercial aircrafts aren’t so common- who knows

21 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I live right by a common Miramar Base flight path.   The odd lights and sounds are so common I laugh anymore when someone by us claims they spotted a UFO.  

Lake Travis TX, or some other area where non commercial aircrafts aren’t so common- who knows

Actually, there is a major Air Force base near there:   Fort Hood. Only 70 miles away.   My niece's husband was stationed there for some time. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

March 4, 2021

Hours before Mr Mayfield’s tweet, SpaceX launched its *Starship SN10 rocket*, allowing it to cruise for 10 kilometres before landing it.

Elon Musk and co launched the rocket from its Boca Chica testing range, which is only a few hundred miles from Lake Travis.

Alternatively, Mr Mayfield could have witnessed a meteor dropping to Earth.

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....note:   Baker did NOT say he saw "An Alien Spacecraft".....he said he saw a UFO.  Unidentified Flying Object.   You can profess to seeing a UFO without professing to see an alien spacecraft.   Its just that He didn't know what it was.   Sounded to me more like a meteor,   or it could have been SpaceX.  (But, doesn't an space launch go up, not down?)

Elon Musk has quite a space inventory 🧐.... If in fact?, SpaceX confirms shooting off & landing a Starship SN10 rocket?

It looks rocket'ish?

SN10 Starship

not UFO'ish, looking up at it, in the dark.. 👽 (yikes! I've been spotted!)

How to Land a Spaceship | Space | Air & Space Magazine

I don't think Baker would be reporting a meteor falling to earth?... but hey, it was a slow news week 🤓

18 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

How to serve man!!  Classic!!

The actor who played the alien was Richard Kiel,  who also played "Jaws"  in the James Bond movies.   

But...not to be confused with Ted Cassidy who played Lurch on the Addams Family.   And who also was in this:

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

On the other hand, perhaps even more inexplicable was the UFO the pilots saw last week:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/american-airlines-pilot-reportedly-sees-ufo-while-flying-over-new-mexico.html

Yeah, lots of "Unidentified Flying Objects ", until someone identifies them as something mundane.  As a lifetime amateur astronomer,  I've spent thousands of hours looking at the night sky,  and haven't seen one yet. Usually planes or bright meteors are the culprit.  The planet Venus frequently gets mistaken too. 

FWIW, the latest Space X did take off to about 6 miles up, and then came back and landed on a test flight. Spectacularly blew up on the ground about 5 minutes later. Easily could have been mistaken for a UFO. :)

https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-sn10-test-launch-landing-explosion

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Orion said:

The Fermi Paradox.  Where are all the aliens?   We don't see them.  We don't hear them.  We don't see any sign of them.  Not with our best telescopes.  No signals from anywhere in the observable universe.  No signs of Dyson Swarms.  No self replicating robots colonizing a galaxy.  No evidence that a civilization ever got that far.  And in theory, there's been plenty of time before us, billions of years, for many civilizations to have progressed Waaaay beyond our current condition.  There's a Great Filter out ahead of us (most probably ahead of us, unless we're the first).  What is the Filter?  Is it a killer virus that wipes out life?  Is it that civilizations always ruin their habitat before they can figure out how to live as one with the planet?  Do civilizations eventually blow themselves up, or actually engineer and unleash a killer virus?  Does the universe wipe out life by gamma ray bursts eventually?  Asteroid / comet collisions?  

Is abiogenesis REALLY hard?  Was that the filter?   

If a civilization exists at such a distance that we will never know of them due to the expansion of the universe, then does it matter that they exist?  If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, did it make a sound?

I'm sure that Mayfield & Rogers saw something weird.  But the answer is never aliens.  

Me and Orion are both astronomers.... the bug bear to interstellar travel is this nasty thing called the speed of light.  Only way to get from point A to point B in our galaxy is hope wormholes exist. Fer instance- even IF you could build a spaceship capable of travelling at the speed of light- (that's 186,000 miles per second, you can get to the Moon in a second and change) it would still take you 4 years to get to our nearest neighboring star, Alpha Centauri.  

I always love to point out this reduction in scale example.  Shrink the universe down to- the Sun is a dot, and the Earth is an atom sized speck orbiting it one inch away. On that scale Alpha Centauri is 4 miles away. Our nearest neighbor Andromeda Galaxy would be 10 times more distant than the Moon.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, lots of "Unidentified Flying Objects ", until someone identifies them as something mundane.  As a lifetime amateur astronomer,  I've spent thousands of hours looking at the night sky,  and haven't seen one yet. Usually planes or bright meteors are the culprit.  The planet Venus frequently gets mistaken too. 

FWIW, the latest Space X did take off to about 6 miles up, and then came back and landed on a test flight. Spectacularly blew up on the ground about 5 minutes later. Easily could have been mistaken for a UFO. :)

https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-sn10-test-launch-landing-explosion

And that did take place somewhere in  south Texas.....so if the timing was right, that could have been it. 

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And that did take place somewhere in  south Texas.....so if the timing was right, that could have been it. 

Nah- if Baker was back in the Austin area- it's almost 400 miles to the Space X launch pad in Boca Chica. Unlikely.. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Me and Orion are both astronomers....

Calling me an astronomer is an insult to astronomers.  😊  I'm just a mild enthusiast.  I have an 8" equatorial that's set up in my enclosed back porch...but it hardly ever carries itself outside. :)  The constellation Orion is heading west now at night.  Spring's a Comin'.   

22 hours ago, hoorta said:

Me and Orion are both astronomers.... the bug bear to interstellar travel is this nasty thing called the speed of light.  Only way to get from point A to point B in our galaxy is hope wormholes exist. Fer instance- even IF you could build a spaceship capable of travelling at the speed of light- (that's 186,000 miles per second, you can get to the Moon in a second and change) it would still take you 4 years to get to our nearest neighboring star, Alpha Centauri.  

I always love to point out this reduction in scale example.  Shrink the universe down to- the Sun is a dot, and the Earth is an atom sized speck orbiting it one inch away. On that scale Alpha Centauri is 4 miles away. Our nearest neighbor Andromeda Galaxy would be 10 times more distant than the Moon.  

I had also read that there are suns so big.. it takes centuries even millenia to make one single orbit around it... I find that fascinating.. And really puts you in perspective to what we really are in terms of scale.. It makes me wonder if there is some microbial lifeform with intelligence equal or greater than ours... Thats mind numbing when you think of the scope of our universe...

19 hours ago, Orion said:

Calling me an astronomer is an insult to astronomers.  😊  I'm just a mild enthusiast.  I have an 8" equatorial that's set up in my enclosed back porch...but it hardly ever carries itself outside. :)  The constellation Orion is heading west now at night.  Spring's a Comin'.   

Me too... I just don't own a telescope yet.. I'm a space junkie...

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 5:20 PM, The Gipper said:

I am going to use this to augment the Survey thread:

Have you ever seen what you believe to be a UFO? 

I have not, not that I recall. 

I've seen weird things in the sky, that seem to move deliberately, then change direction, abruptly. If there are no aliens, how did mankind advance so far in the last 100 years or so, compared to the thousands of years of existence? One word...Roswell.

well, I've always be an outdoorsman/kid. Back in the sixties, on the farm, I'd go out and watch the stars at night sometimes, waiting for shooting stars. One night, there was a bright "star" moving across the sky, but about 3? times faster than any satellite I've ever seen, and far faster than the space station moves across the sky. I was watching it, moving fast, on a crystal clear dark night, and about the middle of the sky, it made a freaking 90 degree angle, and started fading out, like a ufo going away from earth.

Never saw anything like that again. 90 degrees? what the....so I give the Mayfields all the respect for what they saw.

You just never know.

As far as constellations... all I need to know is that the front lip of the big dipper, bottom to top, points toward North.

4 hours ago, nickers said:

I had also read that there are suns so big.. it takes centuries even millenia to make one single orbit around it... I find that fascinating.. And really puts you in perspective to what we really are in terms of scale.. It makes me wonder if there is some microbial lifeform with intelligence equal or greater than ours... Thats mind numbing when you think of the scope of our universe...

I knew off of the top of my head many stars are so large, Saturn's orbit would fit very comfortably inside them.  Here's an image of the largest star we know about. In the dim constellation Scutum, 20 degrees north of Sagittarius.  

How big is the biggest star we have ever found?

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Me too... I just don't own a telescope yet.. I'm a space junkie...

As to telescopes I actually own- an old 6" f\10 reflector I built 50 years ago. And a Meade 4" Schmidt-Cassegrain- the biggest 'scope that will fit in an overhead bin of an airplane. Handy when you go on solar eclipse trips. But you rapidly get spoiled when you have access to the local astronomy club's 16" reflector, or head out to star parties at dark sky sites where guys who are really into it haul their 24" and larger telescopes there on trailers. Jupiter was so bright looking through one of those 24" scopes, it almost hurt your eyes to look at it. 

PS- it's a waste of money having one of those big scopes, unless you live somewhere way out in the country. With the ever increasing light pollution and sky glow, looking for- as I like to call them "the dim fuzzies" is like trying to spot a polar bear in a blizzard.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

all I need to know is that the front lip of the big dipper, bottom to top, points toward North.

...towards True north.  Or Celestial north.  (the two stars farthest from the 'handle', follow the arc to Polaris)

A compass points to magnetic north which is to the left, or west, of true north.  Magnetic north is a bit of a moving target due to molten material movement down inside the earth.