THE BROWNS BOARD

Cue Up the Twilight Zone Theme. Baker spots UFO

The Gipper

4 hours ago, Nero said:

I believe in other life forms in the Universe, but just as Orion said, even the speed of light is slow compared to the seize of the Universe. The closest galaxy is Andromeda at 4 light years if I recall correctly... So it would we weird for us to contact with other life forms, and if we would, I'd beet it would be through some signal in the space, not suddenly via a spacecraft. Hence my theory that some UFOs most likely are related with Air Force or something like that. 

Why would we have to go looking in another galaxy?  Would not our own galaxy, the Milky Way have sufficient other life bearing opportunities?   (Or, did you mean:  closest star in our galaxy?) 

GOLDILOCKS WORLDS: JUST RIGHT FOR LIFE?

Of the 1,780 confirmed planets beyond our solar system, as many as 16 are located in their star’s habitable zone, where conditions are neither too hot nor too cold to support life. Size also matters: A planet that’s too small can’t maintain an atmosphere; one that’s too large will have a crushing atmosphere. A recently detected planet 493 light-years from Earth, Kepler-186f, is close to Earth's size and is located in its solar system's habitable zone.

GRAPHIC BY JOHN TOMANIO AND XAQUÍN G.V., NGM STAFF.
SOURCE: ABEL MÉNDEZ, PLANETARY HABITABILITY LABORATORY, UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO AT ARECIBO
Note: Exoplanet mass estimated from mass-radius relationship when not available.

diagram.png

Star

Hot orbital zone

Warm

Cold

TOO HOT

On planets orbiting close to their respective suns, surface water evaporates into space.

JUST RIGHT

Any water present on a planet orbiting here can remain liquid, given the right atmospheric pressure.

TOO COLD

Here planets orbit far from their suns, so any surface water remains frozen.

EARTH MASS

EARTH MASSES

EARTH'S MASS

EARTH MASSES

EARTH MASSES

LIFE IN A BOX

Planets in the box have the right atmospheric pressure and the right temperature to keep surface water in a liquid state. In our solar system Earth and Mars are in the box, Venus and Mercury outside. The cold gas giants are literally off the chart.

The logarithmic scale used initially here allows for an easier comparison of the exoplanets. The linear scale shows how shallow the habitability zone is.

Logarithmic

Linear

Most confirmed exoplanets are much larger and hotter than Earth, characteristics that make them relatively easy to detect.

-110.1101,0000.11101001,00010,000MERCURYMARSVENUSEARTHKEPLER-186F

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nero said:

I believe in other life forms in the Universe, but just as Orion said, even the speed of light is slow compared to the seize of the Universe. The closest galaxy is Andromeda at 4 light years if I recall correctly... So it would we weird for us to contact with other life forms, and if we would, I'd beet it would be through some signal in the space, not suddenly via a spacecraft. Hence my theory that some UFOs most likely are related with Air Force or something like that. 

Just off a few light years there Nero. 4 is the number of light years to the nearest star. Andromeda Galaxy is around 2.5 million light years away.

18 hours ago, Nero said:

As Tex said Nero...   

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just off a few light years there Nero. 4 is the number of light years to the nearest star. Andromeda Galaxy is around 2.5 million light years away.

It's humbling to think when you look at Andromeda through a telescope, the light hitting your eye left that galaxy a little before our far distant relative hominoids walked the Earth... 

This image isn't Andromeda- it's NGC 1068 (Messier 77) one of the first Seyfert galaxies classified. It’s the brightest and one of the closest. Those aren't clouds- they're a cloud of stars- 100s of millions of them. This is just one of God knows how many galaxies out there. I've always wondered how God could create this much stuff and put us as the only intelligent beings in a universe this vast.  

If you're curious, and have the time, the article that this image appeared in was a link from my Astronomy Club.  https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/definition-what-is-a-quasar Has to do with what we currently know about "quasars".  I'm old enough to remember when the first one- 3C273 was discovered- and it took scientists years to figure out what the heck they were looking at.  :)  

A face-on spiral galaxy with bright yellowish center and pink splotches along arms.

It's also why Astronomers are looking for (and at) ever more distant galaxies- it's looking back in time, (now 13.4 billion years) ever closer to the- if you believe it- the creation event- "The Big Bang". 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know if it would be rare.....given the right conditions.

We have a sample size of one.  So....that's kinda' limiting...

Say we have 100,00 rooms of one person and a locked box.  They have to figure out the combination to the lock on the box by the end of one hour.  They will not be able to know anyone else's outcome.  You, in your room, figure out the combination in like, your eighth try.  In reality, no one else succeeded...but you, enjoying the riches of your opened box, would think that it wasn't all that hard.

There's an awful lot of ducks to get in a row to get life.  The odds of enough proteins folding just perfectly are so low that most disciplines would label it impossible.  

The number of ducks in a row to get our planetary situation is enormous.  Ya can't be too close to the middle of the Galaxy, too much stuff exploding, too much radiation, too much destabilizing of solar system orbits by other stars passing by.  Ya need a large moon to stabilize the procession wobble of the planet or else the climate would swing too wildly for life.  And the large moon would give proper tides such that tidal pools can form.  And if dinosaurs come to existence, they'll need to be snuffed out if you're gonna want people to evolve.  

I'm a rare earther as well.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Say we have 100,00 rooms of one person and a locked box.  They have to figure out the combination to the lock on the box by the end of one hour.  They will not be able to know anyone else's outcome.  You, in your room, figure out the combination in like, your eighth try.  In reality, no one else succeeded...but you, enjoying the riches of your opened box, would think that it wasn't all that hard.

There's an awful lot of ducks to get in a row to get life.  The odds of enough proteins folding just perfectly are so low that most disciplines would label it impossible.  

The number of ducks in a row to get our planetary situation is enormous.  Ya can't be too close to the middle of the Galaxy, too much stuff exploding, too much radiation, too much destabilizing of solar system orbits by other stars passing by.  Ya need a large moon to stabilize the procession wobble of the planet or else the climate would swing too wildly for life.  And the large moon would give proper tides such that tidal pools can form.  And if dinosaurs come to existence, they'll need to be snuffed out if you're gonna want people to evolve.  

I have no clue what you are trying to say here.  Other than it sounds like you think it is nigh on impossible for there to be other intelligent life in the universe.....and I am just not of the opinion that we are necessarily all that unique. 

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Nah- Orion- I look at it as my mentor Dan Snow (RIP) at the Cleveland planetarium put it. The "one in a million" hypothesis- from back in the 60s. Assume only one in a million stars is like the sun (we know that's not true).  Of those, only one in a million has developed a solar system. (We definitely know that's not the case anymore).  Of those only one in a million has an Earthlike planet. OK- of those, only one in a million has developed life, and of those , only one in a million has developed intelligent life.  I'll even grant you you're living on a planet in the middle of Omega Centauri, where there's so many close by stars it's constant daylight.  Life lives at the bottom of our oceans with ZERO daylight- life finds a  way. :)  

Omega Centauri by ESO.jpg

"Astronomers put current estimates of the total stellar population at roughly 70 billion trillion - (7 to the 22nth power). Oh, I  don't want to bet against high trillion odds.  :D  

I had my doubts in my fact about 4 LY so I guess I messed them up. Thanks guys. 

3 hours ago, ATOM said:

Isaac Asimovs Foundation coming to appletv 80 hours worth from what i have scene the effects look bad ass as for the story I hope they can get it right 

There was another  show on Apple TV that I had wanted to see:  the Tom Hanks  Navy convoy show.   How does one get Apple TV?

21 hours ago, hoorta said:

"Astronomers put current estimates of the total stellar population at roughly 70 billion trillion -

To the best of my knowledge, we're not yet able to create life from chemicals.  We're not that smart yet.  Seems like it's not some easy thing to happen.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There was another  show on Apple TV that I had wanted to see:  the Tom Hanks  Navy convoy show.   How does one get Apple TV?

Head to Best Buy and buy ye a Firestick.  $30 bucks at Best Buy or Amazon- the 4k model is $50.  Assuming you don't have a dinosaur TV, plug it into a HDMI input, link it to your home WIFI, and you're ready to go. Assuming you have an Amazon account- you'll be shocked at how much free stuff you can stream.  AppleTV will cost you $5 bucks a month extra. I pay $6 for CBS All access, which gets me essentially anything CBS offers- plus every episode of Star Trek.  :)  

PS- the new "smart" TVs really don't need a Firestick, but I found it easier to put it on a separate input.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, The Gipper said:

i got mine as a gift so i have no idea maybe pay for it ?

So how does everyone feel about WIMPS? 

I don't like dark matter.  It doesn't even interact weakly with anything...save gravity.  It's not a wave. It's not a particle. It's not a force.  It can't be directly detected.  But the calculator in my smartphone says it's gotta be there.  The 'math' isn't right if we don't pull an incredible amount of dark matter out of our ass and add it around all of the galaxies so the stars on the outer edges can go as fast as they're going.

I don't like it.  

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't like dark matter.  It doesn't even interact weakly with anything...save gravity.  It's not a wave. It's not a particle. It's not a force.  It can't be directly detected.  But the calculator in my smartphone says it's gotta be there.  The 'math' isn't right if we don't pull an incredible amount of dark matter out of our ass and add it around all of the galaxies so the stars on the outer edges can go as fast as they're going.

I don't like it.  

So, you are vexed by the conundrum of dark matter.    I thought I discovered it the other day when I had a sleep apnea test.  I was connected to so many wires I was sure that I was somehow hooked into it. 

The Big Bang Theory' recap: 'The Anxiety Optimization' | EW.com

5 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't like it.  

Oh heck- at least with my feeble understanding... We understand what gravity does, but not on why it is what it is... Yeah, neutrinos react only weakly with anything else. They exist (maybe).  

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I was connected to so many wires I was sure that I was somehow hooked into it. 

I was hooked up to an EKG the other day.  Didn't see any dark matter.  (pre-op ekg for arthroscopic knee surgery - torn meniscus, supposedly)

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, neutrinos react only weakly with anything else. They exist (maybe).  

Nov. 25, 2020, 11:58 AM EST

By Tom Metcalfe

In research published Wednesday in the journal Nature, scientists reported that they’ve made the first detection of almost-ethereal particles called neutrinos that can be traced to carbon-nitrogen-oxygen fusion, known as the CNO cycle, inside the sun.