THE BROWNS BOARD

Biden hypocrisy on critical minerals – here's how it hurts US industry, security

Vambo

This is a serious problem but also rare-earth metals used in the computer industry which China has spent the last few decades buying up the world supply plus their own vast supply.

America is blessed with natural resources which helped her in the 20th century but not the high tech 21st century.

SO what's the answer ?

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

This is a serious problem but also rare-earth metals used in the computer industry which China has spent the last few decades buying up the world supply plus their own vast supply.

America is blessed with natural resources which helped her in the 20th century but not the high tech 21st century.

SO what's the answer ?

mining on mars or the moon, eh?

Actually, another one of Pres Trump's excellent moves:

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2020/11/20/mining-company-determined-to-restore-us-rare-earth-supply-chain

• Upvote 1

I sure hope this "plan" works out.  I have an EE brother who has told me about this problem for years now it's no easy challenge.

And mining in space will cost trillions and take a decade......or two ?

After separating the 17 elements needed to create magnets from the Mountain Pass ore, MP Material currently sends the raw material to China for refinement. Litinsky said the company’s goal is to do the refinement on site by 2022 and eventually cut China out of the supply chain for production of high-end magnets entirely by manufacturing them in the United States.

• Upvote 1

Mining rare earths is hard on the environment...China doesnt much care about environment.

Although termed rare earth elements...not really rare at all.  They just dont make ores like the other metals.  I think the USA has one mine for these elements.

• Upvote 1