THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini sending a clear message

Jason J

I am thinking it is the other way around. Intensity and heart are pretty much the same thing...either you have it or you don't.

You can't coach talent?? I don't understand that comment.

I can coach you to be more intense, I can expect it as a coach and I can coach you to expect it in yourself. I can get a players motor running high. I do it with my teammates and I do it with the kids I've coached. I can't coach a player to have natural ability or talent.

Ok...the wording had me wondering....I call it measurables..I agree....you can't teach speed or body frame. You might be able to get a fraction here or there through training methods, but not enough to make a slow person a fast person or a 6 footer 6'4".

Ok...the wording had me wondering....I call it measurables..I agree....you can't teach speed or body frame. You might be able to get a fraction here or there through training methods, but not enough to make a slow person a fast person or a 6 footer 6'4".

I think you can also put something like agility and athleticism into that category. For instance, the agility and athleticism of Michael Vick. You're either born with it, or you're not.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius
I got my eye out on Cox, I ain't drinking the kool aid just yet.

I thought this was funny:

3:10:49 pm A mild altercation spiced things up today when backup DE Brian Schaeferling hit QB Richard Bartel, prompting OL Hank Fraley to rush in and push Schaeferling. Browns DL coach Bryan Cox then screamed at Schaeferling to not let himself be pushed around.

I can't be the only one a little perplexed on the high praise Cox seems to get as a coach. As a player, he was close to being a nutjob.

Hey, maybe this team needs guys like him, and the fact Mangie loves the guy has to mean something. However, I am wary of more issues involving Cox and his emotions. Leonard seems to be a cool guy, but we don't know what really happened.

The Smith incident doesn't count, he is a nutjob.

Riffer,....I was never a Brian Cox fan when he was a player but he's one of those guys who gets instant respect most of the time. I thought he couldn't possibly coach well until I saw it up close and personal. I will tell you that when you hear his stories about growing up, you'll kiss your kids at night thankful they never have to deal with what he did. Why is that relevant? Because I've seen him connect with guy after guy. He's a hard assed coach to be sure but he won't accept less than maximal effort and I will let you in a little secret: This team has a bunch of lazy holdovers. One by one....they're being weeded out.

Take it for what it's worth. Just my .02

One of the biggest problems I had with the RAC coached teams was how often the team showed up completely flat and not remotely motivated to play. I understand flat games in baseball (162 game season) or basketball (82 games, tons of travel) but I don't get it in the NFL...there's only 16 games and they only on the weekend..there's generally a week between games, how in the hell can the team show up not ready to play?

If that is the only improvement I see this year is that we show up ready to play every Sunday and make sure that every team we play knows that we were on the field and we fight like hell every week, I'm going to be positive looking towards next season.

NFL...there's only 16 games and they only on the weekend..there's generally a week between games, how in the hell can the team show up not ready to play?

Mark, I won't disagree with this but sometimes it happens and it boggles my mind too. It just happens...especially when teams travel from one coast to the other. In my mind, the bigger issue is how hard will the guys play once they've come out flat.

As an example: Last year, the Jets played the Dolphins in the final game and it was pretty clear in the second half that the playoffs were unreachable. They didn't play their best game but in my mind (and there are some who disagree with me) I felt like the guys left it out on the field. I don't think that the players quit on Mangini. I think they played hard til the end. Now, they had no way to know that he was getting fired. It was generally a shock to the players, I believe.

I think that Mangini has made mistakes with his handling of things in NY and hopefully he makes fewer mistakes in Cleveland. I think that it's troubling though for someone who's watched him compete successfully against the best coaches is to see him roasted by the NY media and (in some cases) nationally. Yes, he brings some of it on himself BUT I would offer to you that last year his team was 8-3 after 11 games and had just come off of a prime time Thursday night victory in Foxboro and followed that up with a WAXING of an undefeated Titans team in Nashville.

I don't believe he gets enough credit for the things he does well. Yes, he's a meticulous game-planner. Yes, he sometimes even micromanages but I would tell you to watch those two games I mentoned. What you'll notice is:

In both games at several junctures he made both Belichick and Fisher do things that they didn't want to do. He forced them into time outs. He baited them into challenges. He manages the clock well. He out-coached them. I have always felt that a good coach wins 3-5 critical plays for his team and Mangini has the ability to do that.

Will he get credit for this kind of game day coaching? Not if his team comes out flat. Wins are the best deodorant and I hope that the Browns are smelling pretty good by season's end.

If that is the only improvement I see this year is that we show up ready to play every Sunday and make sure that every team we play knows that we were on the field and we fight like hell every week, I'm going to be positive looking towards next season.

For 2009 yes, that would make me look forward to Sunday.

Mark, I won't disagree with this but sometimes it happens and it boggles my mind too. It just happens...especially when teams travel from one coast to the other. In my mind, the bigger issue is how hard will the guys play once they've come out flat.

As an example: Last year, the Jets played the Dolphins in the final game and it was pretty clear in the second half that the playoffs were unreachable. They didn't play their best game but in my mind (and there are some who disagree with me) I felt like the guys left it out on the field. I don't think that the players quit on Mangini. I think they played hard til the end. Now, they had no way to know that he was getting fired. It was generally a shock to the players, I believe.

I think that Mangini has made mistakes with his handling of things in NY and hopefully he makes fewer mistakes in Cleveland. I think that it's troubling though for someone who's watched him compete successfully against the best coaches is to see him roasted by the NY media and (in some cases) nationally. Yes, he brings some of it on himself BUT I would offer to you that last year his team was 8-3 after 11 games and had just come off of a prime time Thursday night victory in Foxboro and followed that up with a WAXING of an undefeated Titans team in Nashville.

I don't believe he gets enough credit for the things he does well. Yes, he's a meticulous game-planner. Yes, he sometimes even micromanages but I would tell you to watch those two games I mentoned. What you'll notice is:

In both games at several junctures he made both Belichick and Fisher do things that they didn't want to do. He forced them into time outs. He baited them into challenges. He manages the clock well. He out-coached them. I have always felt that a good coach wins 3-5 critical plays for his team and Mangini has the ability to do that.

Will he get credit for this kind of game day coaching? Not if his team comes out flat. Wins are the best deodorant and I hope that the Browns are smelling pretty good by season's end.

That makes me hopeful. I'm sure he made some mistakes in NY....and hopefully like Belickhick in Cleveland the first time, he learns from his mistakes and continues to do the other things that he does well.

I just don't see his teams coming out flat and unprepared from what I've watched from a distance this preseason.

For 2009 yes, that would make me look forward to Sunday.

That's what I meant. It would make 2009 tolerable and also make me believe that 2010 is going to be a huge year for us when Mangini and staff have had another off season to build things.

That makes me hopeful. I'm sure he made some mistakes in NY....and hopefully like Belickhick in Cleveland the first time, he learns from his mistakes and continues to do the other things that he does well.

I just don't see his teams coming out flat and unprepared from what I've watched from a distance this preseason.

It's unusual but I didn't think that the team that came out against Green Bay in the first preseason game looked like a "Mangini Team". Lots of mental errors. During his three years in NY, the Jets were the least penalized team over that span.

His system works....it's just that he isn't Belichick so people find his methods annoying. They're already starting in on Josh McDaniels with the injury reporting.

I would agree that the team against Green Bay looked an awful lot like last years team. The good thing is that we've improved each week since that game.

Less mental errors, less penalties and a team who shows up ready to play 16 times this fall. I think that would be a huge improvement over the last few years, regardless of who plays QB.

Archived