THE BROWNS BOARD

Boomers

Westside Steve

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Have to admit I am a fan of some of this shit.

https://www.hashtagchatter.com/lifestyle/things-all-baby-boomers-love/

I'm with racquetball for sure still. Hate golf. More into gold than diamonds. Don't watch cop shows except for true crime stuff since I have known  so many murder victims in my life. Forget shopping channels, catalogs, Reader's Digest and potpourri. Sandals with no socks, but do like cargo shorts for all occasions. And T-shirt for every occasion I can think of despite constant complaint from the power that be who does like the 24 news and writing checks (not me for either). Do like an occasional cruise, but prefer to actually go live in another country 2-3 weeks at a time. Done that about 10 times excluding Venezuela and Vietnam.

13 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Have to admit I am a fan of some of this shit.

https://www.hashtagchatter.com/lifestyle/things-all-baby-boomers-love/

Here we go.   I don't think I am much of a baby boomer....only went through Top 40:

1.  Racquetball.....not played since the 70s

2.  Cop Dramas....still watch some  Why not, what better is on? Nothing.     But now usually they are British cop dramas...or Australian

3.  Sandals with socks?  Never wore sandals or flip flops...socks or not.  I wear tennis shoes..with socks.  Sensitive feet can't deal with bare foot

4. Potpourri.    Uh, no.  My wife hates it.  Dust/germ collector

5. Diamonds.   I own none, my wife owns very few.  Small diamond engagement ring, maybe one or two others.  (She prefers opal) 

6. Checks.   Only write 2-3 a month for  car payment and RE tax bill,  and an occasional medical bill.

7. Cruises.   Never been on one yet.  First one will be to Alaska likely next year.   My millennial  daughter and son in law love cruises more.

8. Reader's Digest.    No, not the magazine...unless I am waiting in a doctor's office.    However, I do use a special book on the 120 most scenic guides in America as a travel guide. 

9. Home Shopping networks:   NEVER use

10. Weird salads.   NO....I will have a side, a chef's or a cobb salad.

11. Golf.    Have not played in like 20 years.   May start up again...maybe.

12. 24 hour news .    Occasionally.  Wife actually watches network news.  Today show in morning and at 6:30.  I rarely bother

13. Game shows.   Jeopardy!   Absolutely,    and Wheel of Fortune sometimes only because it comes on before Jeopardy

14. Jean Shorts.   Not sure I ever had a pair.  If so, not since the 70s.

15. Catalogs.   NO.   never.  My wife may get and look through a couple

16. Chain Restaurants.    Sure,  some.  They showed Olive Garden which I do like.  But I do try to do most of my eating out at  independent/mom and pop places

17. Crocs.   Never owned a pair.....but I do have some knockoffs that I got for free and use occasional on vacation  to walk to and from pool/hot tub.

18.  Fall for Conspiracy Theories.  No, not usually. Though  I do not think Oswald acted alone.  Generally though they are for weak minds which is why they are popular among a certain set. 

19.  Not skinny jeans.  I own one pair of jeans which I put on maybe 2-3 times a year.  But no, clearly they are not skinny jeans.  I admit, I am more of a khaki guy

20. Fuzzy cover on toilet seats.  Ah.....NO

21.  Iron everything?    I iron nothing!   (Wife may do a few things...but not usually my clothes)

22. Knick knacks.   Few....some Waterford Crystal is about it.   (Wife has some)

23. Yahoo Mail.   Yes, sure.  It works as well as anything else....and why would I change my email address I have had for years and years   and have to take the time to try to let a hundred people know about a change of address when this works just fine?   Some people still use AOL, and that works for them.    Home page is Google...but who cares?  It is just a way to connect to the internet.

24.  Inspirational Quotes.    Hate them.   Fuck them.

25. Airbrushed T-shirts.   Don't know if I have ever had one.  Not even sure what they are.

26. China in my cabinet.   NO.   I have plates to eat off.    My wife may have some that she got from her parents that has been stored away for decades.

27. Going to the Mall.   Where?  Most have been shut down.    Oh....I guess there is Summit Mall, and the one in Strongsville.  And one in Belden Village.  Not sure I have been to any of them in the last year.

28.  Eat processed foods.    I probably do.  How the fuck do I know if it is processed or not.  I don't fucking worry about it.

29. Social email.   Very occasionally.  Just to maybe my son or daughter or others on rare occasion.  Usually when I have more info to depart that is too voluminous for a text.  I do text  97 times out of 100,  but occasionally, like I said, I do have to impart more information than is practicable in a text.

30. Land Line.   Have not had one in years. 

31.  Keep paper bills.   Yes,   for a few years..just a habit I guess

32. TYPE IN ALL CAPS?     no, I don't.

33. Use Mrs. Dash seasoning.  Never even heard of it.

34. Patterned Wallpaper.  There is some in this house still there since we bought it that was not of our choosing.   If I replaced it, I doubt it would be patterned.

35. Cable TV Package.  I have a cable TV/internet/electric/trash/water/sewer/storm water package that I pay all in one bill.  All for  250-260 a month.  So  Whatever

36. Infomercials..    Hate so NO I never watch them

37. Buy AVON products.   I never do,  my wife says she has not bought any in years.   So, NO

38.  Drink Juice from Concentrate.    NO.  The stuff we usually buy: Tropicana says it is never from concentrate

39.  Have throw pillows on Bed.   Uhm...no, I use  a wedge pillow...doctor's suggestion,   a regular pillow on top of it for my head,  I use a pillow between my knees.  These are ALL functional,  not decorative.  I don't even have any decorative pillows on my couch.

40. Eat toast with no butter.   Hell no.  I want butter, or peanut butter, on my toast. 

So?  What?  Maybe I do a half dozen, if that, of these things that Baby Boomers are supposed to do?   I guess that makes me a thoroughly modern  DYLF. 

I guess I'm a Boomer tho I'm younger than Steve, Nipper and DH

1.  Racquetball.....Never played

2.  Cop Dramas...no

3.  Sandals with socks?  Are you fucking kidding?

4. Potpourri.   See above

5. Diamonds.  That's the wife's territory. She's considerably younger than I am

6. Checks.   Hate em. Only when I have to..

7. Cruises.   Yes, we've done numerous. the best was a 10 day Med cruise from Istanbul to Mykonos to Athens to Malta to Catalina to Salerno and Rome where we spent a few extra days.. Can't recommend it highly enough..

8. Reader's Digest.    No, not since i was a kid in the 60s

9. Home Shopping networks:   What?

10. Weird salads.  lol no

11. Golf.    I used to be able to hit a golf ball a long freakin way. Problem is, it always took a severe right turn out about 250 yds.. If I hit a golf ball looking due west, it may land in one of you Ohio boy's yard or pool.. 34217 is my hood

12. 24 hour news .    Used to love CNN back in the time of their inception.. Now? No.. No, no no no

13. Game shows.   lol, no

14. Jean Shorts.   Not since 73-77

15. Catalogs.  no

16. Chain Restaurants.    Poblanos, Cody's

17. Crocs.  Nope

18.  Fall for Conspiracy Theories.  Not unless they're true ;)

19.  skinny jeans.  Never. I wore spandex and ripped shirts a long time ago on stage and looked damn good doing so..

21.  Iron everything?   Nothing, Hang dry or the dryer

22. Knick knacks.  Yeah, guilty here. my wife and I have been lucky/blessed enough to have been to a lot of cool places around the planet. I generally pick up a small cool memento from each place. My studio desks are littered with them.

23. Yahoo Mail.   Fuck Yahoo. Seriously, fuck yahoo with Nipper's dick

24.  Inspirational Quotes.    On occasion.. See #23 🤣

25. Airbrushed T-shirts.   Who makes this shit up? lol

26. China in my cabinet.   I think we have a very old cool cab with stuff in it. Again, not my forte.. Check with the spousal unit ;)

27. Going to the Mall.   Not without my gun  :D

28.  Eat processed foods.    We all do 🤢

29. Social email.   I don't even know what this means

30. Land Line.  dear lord..

31.  Keep paper bills.    Have to :(

32. TYPE IN ALL CAPS?     FUCK NO!!!!

33. Use Mrs. Dash seasoning.  No.. Blackened seasoning

34. Patterned Wallpaper.  Thought this was a computer question.. I may be in the wrong thread..

35. Cable TV Package.  Huh?

36. Infomercials..   Now I'm certain I am

37. Buy AVON products.   Seriously, what the actual fuck?

38.  Drink Juice from Concentrate.    NO. Tropicana is less than 5 miles away and the wife's brother works there so, it's like the fish we catch, couldn't be fresher and probably more chemically contaminated

39.  Have throw pillows on Bed.   Yep, spousal unit's fault. Hate those fuckin things

40. Eat toast with no butter.   Yes, and I pan fry my toast before making a Dagwood sammich..

Boomers !  Going out with a splash !  Why not after all we were the Rock and Roll generation.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

What is Axe's big issue with Yahoo?  It is just a way to get your email?

AOL on the other hand  canceled me because I gave shit to a big pussy of a Steeler fan on the old board that these board emanated from.    They are the ones that should get the Fuck You.

But like you said AOL is just another way to get your email.  It's more comfortable to me then Gmail for example.

WSS

I'm in on a few of those things and don't care about or don't like others. But the ones that I don't like or care about if I do see somebody using them it's usually an older person.

My biggest hatred is of the landline.

On the other hand I have been known to watch entire infomercials have actually purchased a few items from them.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

But like you said AOL is just another way to get your email.  It's more comfortable to me then Gmail for example.

WSS

Yea, it was not their email service that was the issue.  Like you say, it is just another way to get your email.   It was all the other stuff...like the old sports talk forums over which they wielded a Stazi like control. 

8 hours ago, Browns149 said:

I read about 10 topics and can say I DON’T CARE. 

Other then golf. I sure miss golfing every weekend. 

Ever read my comparison of golf vs racquetball?

In RB a rollout is the perfect shot. In golf it is the most frustrating thing for an otherwise great looking putt.

In golf your worst mishit can go in woods, water, deep rough or just plain out of bounds. In RB your worst mishit can be the greatest shot of the day (see rollout above).

In RB you only have to carry one club as long as you learn every way it can be used effectively. In golf you have multiple clubs and often select the wrong one for what you think you need to do with it. And even then you don't always choose the most effective way of using it.

In golf you have to walk all over a course to hit the ball again, sometimes in a rotten hitting position like in sand or high grass. In racquetball often you just have to make a step or two one way or another while you wait for it to arrive back at the perfect hitting position.

In golf you have to be sure you have found the correct ball when it has left your sight. In RB if you can't find the only ball out there, then it's time to give up the game.😂🙈

On 4/17/2021 at 7:06 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Ever read my comparison of golf vs racquetball?

In RB a rollout is the perfect shot. In golf it is the most frustrating thing for an otherwise great looking putt.

In golf your worst mishit can go in woods, water, deep rough or just plain out of bounds. In RB your worst mishit can be the greatest shot of the day (see rollout above).

In RB you only have to carry one club as long as you learn every way it can be used effectively. In golf you have multiple clubs and often select the wrong one for what you think you need to do with it. And even then you don't always choose the most effective way of using it.

In golf you have to walk all over a course to hit the ball again, sometimes in a rotten hitting position like in sand or high grass. In racquetball often you just have to make a step or two one way or another while you wait for it to arrive back at the perfect hitting position.

In golf you have to be sure you have found the correct ball when it has left your sight. In RB if you can't find the only ball out there, then it's time to give up the game.😂🙈

So what you’re saying is Racquetball is easy and Golf is hard

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

So what you’re saying is Racquetball is easy and Golf is hard

Racquetball is far easier and more fun to play in less time while using up more calories. Golf just sucks the life out of you and the $$ out of your wallet.🤣

16 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

https://amintro.com/life/12-nostalgic-things-only-the-baby-boomer-generation-will-remember/

And some more Boomer stuff.

Number 6 it's ironic that  Sears that started out as a mail order firm has been put out of business by a mail order firm.

WSS

True that Steve. 

#2. Rabbit ears.

#5. First TV on the block allowed all the kids to come over once a week to watch Lucy & Desi.

#7. Parents scooped the cream off the top to use in coffee.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://amintro.com/life/12-nostalgic-things-only-the-baby-boomer-generation-will-remember/

And some more Boomer stuff.

Number 6 it's ironic that  Sears that started out as a mail order firm has been put out of business by a mail order firm.

WSS

The question is:  what, in 40 years will Millenials be posting about what that generation would only remember? 

On 4/20/2021 at 8:58 AM, The Gipper said:

The question is:  what, in 40 years will Millenials be posting about what that generation would only remember? 

A bunch of old turds posting on football boards "back in the day"?😂

• Confused 1

On 4/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

True that Steve. 

#2. Rabbit ears.

#5. First TV on the block allowed all the kids to come over once a week to watch Lucy & Desi.

#7. Parents scooped the cream off the top to use in coffee.

Oh yeah.

Rabbit ears or the old battered lazy-X antenna on the roof.

My dad repaired TVs since the 50s and an old lady gave him an old RCA TV that always needed fixed, he fixed it and we had the first color TV on the street. "The following show is brought to you in living color".....   Remember that ?  Disney on Sunday night.  It was a big deal.

A simpler but fun time.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yeah.d

A simpler but fun time.

It was far simpler for my grandparents for sure. No spam calls from India, pfishing emails, exorbitant internet and cell phone fees, no exorbitant TV bills, a car you could buy for less than $1000 (though it had higher maintenance needs). etc.

58 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

a car you could buy for less than $1000 (though it had higher maintenance needs). etc.

The owners manual from the ‘50’s or ‘60’s found in the glove compartment of your car, would instruct you on how to set the timing or valve lash on your engine.

Today’s owners manual tells people not to drink the antifreeze.

Talk about a generational divide.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The owners manual from the ‘50’s or ‘60’s found in the glove compartment of your car, would instruct you on how to set the timing or valve lash on your engine.

Today’s owners manual tells people not to drink the antifreeze.

Talk about a generational divide.

Most know what plugs are, but points is a different story.😂

EDIT:  https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a6382/4338376/

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Most know what plugs are, but points is a different story.😂

EDIT:  https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a6382/4338376/

The old tune-up standard, plugs, points and condenser.  Did that many, many times including in my first car a 65 Ford Mustang.

I had all the tools for car maintenance in my dad's one of six bays in his two garages at the old homestead which was just sold after my mother's passing in 2019.

I had everything from ramps, jack stands, welder with bending table, every wrench, meter, hand tool, repair manuals you could imagine to fix anything.

All now just  "gone with the wind"........ 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The old tune-up standard, plugs, points and condenser.  Did that many, many times including in my first car a 65 Ford Mustang.

I had all the tools for car maintenance in my dad's one of six bays in his two garages at the old homestead which was just sold after my mother's passing in 2019.

I had everything from ramps, jack stands, welder with bending table, every wrench, meter, hand tool, repair manuals you could imagine to fix anything.

All now just  "gone with the wind"........ 

Too bad, the days of the “Backyard Mechanic” went by the way of the phone booth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Too bad, the days of the “Backyard Mechanic” went by the way of the phone booth.

A lot of great memories of late summer nights working on cars and shooting hoops with the radio playing in the garage, oh yeah in high school and beyond.

I remember one summer night when I tore off the exaust pipes with a friend on my 1969 Camaro Z-28 and installed a set of Thrush headers but before putting on the header bolt on header mufflers I couldn't resist firing up the with the open headers and taking it for a ride.

It was after 10 pm but what the hell.  I fired it up in the garage and you couldn't hear anything it was so freaking LOUD !  

I backed up onto the street and let it rip.  Down our street and up the next and turned around in the fire station lot about a mile away and flew back home.

On the way home EVERY house had their outside lights on and we're out looking to see what the rumble was.  OMG what a ride, that Z could fly !

In the garage, pulled down the door and installed the bolt up header mufflers and reflected upon the run, wow.

My brothers said stuff was rattling on the shelves in the house....... what a summer night.   ;)