THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson looking like the starter tonight

DieHardBrownsFan

Zombo stop wasting your time typing. The BQ bandwagoneers are pissed about last night plain and simple and were SEARCHING HARD for anything...

I like the who 2 minute drill bs... he had about 1 minute with a 20 point lead had a tip int after throwing for over 100 yards in one quarter leading to scores.....

AVERAGE that out over terrible Detroit and he would have had a MONSTER game.... BQ I think would have had a good game also probably not as many yards but the same result.

Notice those same BQ fans dont talk about the near tip linebacker int that BQ almost threw when they mention DA.... neither was a terrible read or a forced play it was just how the ball happened to fall.

Seriously I am more concerned with the odd offensive playcalling from last week for DA was handed to BQ this week. I know it is preseason and I suspect it was situational to expose the QBs for review, but still odd. ST. Clair better be running some laps for blowing up BQ's decent drive.

ON a good note START JAMES DAVIS.... he hits the holes instead of tap dancing and STILL HAS A BURST!!!!!

The bolded part is a very bad argument. It didn't matter how much they were up or how much time was on the clock. It was about Mangini seeing what DA could do in the 2-minute drill. He even said it after the Packer game, that the next time it came to the 2-minute drill it would be DA. Frankly, DA failed to move the ball in that drill and eventually it lead to Detroit getting points.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will toss grenades at Camp Quinn as long as you act like Quinn fans and not Browns fans.

I know your feelings are hurt because I won't join your He-Man Derek Anderson Hater's Club, but I see absolutely no need to keep bashing the guy.

If you want to build Quinn up and convince me why he is going to be the next great Cleveland Browns QB, I am all ears, I would love nothing more than to see that.

Zombo

That's just it - you posted DA wasn't the answer for this franchise after Quinn's first 2 starts averaged 30 points in November. You keep diverting attention away from this truth for some reason. Can I merely ask why Zippy? And when you had admin powers during the Spring - you removed that entire thread after I archived the first time I caught you changing your tune and straddling the fence. You seem less proud of that than you were promising us Terry Kirby would rush for 1700 yards back in 1999.

In fairness to Vegasdawg - he didn't read your confident post back when Quinn showed us how easy it was to put up 30 points in back to back weeks last Fall.

Again, for those that get it - DA's last 9 starts sport a 3-6 record. Here's 4 of them in how DA took the bull by the horns:

Dallas 28 Cleveland 10

Pittsburgh 10 Cleveland 6

Baltimore 28 Cleveland 10

Indy 10 Cleveland 6

So all of a sudden you don't think Quinn can lead us to 10 points in a 60 minute game THIS year when you gave him your blessings for leading us to 30 points a start last year? Way to make sense! Maybe someday you'll be interested enough to WATCH 1 of these games you allegedly have all the answers for. What happened to you man? I know you LOVE losing more than being a Quinn fag. Got it. Thanks!

- Tom F.

That's just it - you posted DA wasn't the answer for this franchise after Quinn's first 2 starts averaged 30 points in November. You keep diverting attention away from this truth for some reason. Can I merely ask why Zippy? And when you had admin powers during the Spring - you removed that entire thread after I archived the first time I caught you changing your tune and straddling the fence. You seem less proud of that than you were promising us Terry Kirby would rush for 1700 yards back in 1999.

In fairness to Vegasdawg - he didn't read your confident post back when Quinn showed us how easy it was to put up 30 points in back to back weeks last Fall.

Again, for those that get it - DA's last 9 starts sport a 3-6 record. Here's 4 of them in how DA took the bull by the horns:

Dallas 28 Cleveland 10

Pittsburgh 10 Cleveland 6

Baltimore 28 Cleveland 10

Indy 10 Cleveland 6

So all of a sudden you don't think Quinn can lead us to 10 points in a 60 minute game THIS year when you gave him your blessings for leading us to 30 points a start last year? Way to make sense! Maybe someday you'll be interested enough to WATCH 1 of these games you allegedly have all the answers for. What happened to you man? I know you LOVE losing more than being a Quinn fag. Got it. Thanks!

- Tom F.

If you are saying I removed a football thread, you are flat out lying.

Also, I have watched both games this year. I have watched every game of the Anderson/Quinn era.

I don't know if it makes you feel better to come after me this way, but it really just makes you look like a bitch.

I've already acknowledged that I said "Quinn is the guy" last year. Do you think you are unearthing some big secret that will make me look like a hypocrite? Quinn was the guy. Then we brought in a new coaching staff and I said it will be a real competition but that Quinn should win out with consistent passing ... What is it about that which offends you so?

Everyone knows I am a fan of Notre Dame. I pimped Quinn long before you or Shep did. I was glad the Browns drafted him, I like him alot, and for me to say that he should win the job is a compliment because I have respect for Derek Anderson and his skills.

The only thing that you are upset with is that I won't join you in bashing Derek Anderson, and that I will defend Derek Anderson when Quinn's fans go after him or get all faggy about Quinn.

Well, sorry that upsets you but I will continue to support Anderson, I will continue to hope they both play well, and I'm going to call "faggy" when I see it.

Zombo

I think I know what Pitt fans love coming here to debate us, because we are the best of the best, because well....frankly we have a lot of practice on each other.

Look at it this way, if the team was running like the Pats, what would we have to talk about/debate???

PATSPECTA: Randy Moss' awesome!

PUMBERGH: No he isn't, he's superawesome!

PATSPECTA: Not as awesome as Tom Brady!

PUMBERGH: I agree. Let's be friends.

---

Now that's just boring.

Zombo,

I hope you wouldn't call me a quinn fag. And know I'll support which ever QB Mangini choses to start.

But HERE is the problem with the "support DA" crusade you've decided to put yourself on come hell or high water. And "throwing grenades" at "Quinn Fags"...

You don't react in kind when "DA fags" post their own rediculous comments. And don't give me some damn crap about there's enough "Quinn Fags" around to take care of that. That doesn't matter.

What matters is being taken seriously as someone who does actually support BOTH QBs with out just paying lip service to one.

Just like in this thread. If I see one more DA supporter say DA "led the team to 20 points", I'll throw up. Actually what I'll do is post a sarcastic, smart alec, obvious joke response of "and they didn't trust DA to throw in the red zone so they had Jamal run it in.". And some DA moron will take me seriously and berate me for saying it as if he thought I really believed that! Especially since not thre post before that I have clearly state DA did enough in this game to keep himself in consideration for being the start for the Browns this year.

DA didn't lead this team to 20 points. DA did play lights out. DA played well that's it and I am glad he did.

But until you actually start treating the DA Fags the same way you treat Quinn Fags, then I can't blame people for lumping you in as a DA Fag, even though you're not.

There's actually a lot of people "straddling the fence" as another poster put it. It's just too bad they don't get enough attentiong.

So who are the "DA Fags"? Lumbergh and drunknstoopid?

I think there's a large gap there between those two wisecrackers and the Quinnies, and I'm just trying to fill that gap with some sanity.

I usually respond to posts from guys like you, or Shep or Vegas ... because you are smart posters who are challenging to debate with. Getting into a snip contest with Lumbergh is just babysitting, and I've got better things to do.

There is no need for anyone to come on here and say Quinn is hard-working and relentless and has a good college record ... Shep and his camp have done an excellent job of outling Quinn's capabilities.

But there was a need for someone to come out and say "Wait ... it's not cut and dry ... Anderson has some very good qualities too, and this is going to be a close, valid contest" ... that's all I tried to do ... Lumbergh & co. weren't exactly getting any rational points over.

So in the course of filling that gap, defending Derek, and trying to bring some reality to the situation ... I started rubbing Quinn defenders the wrong way. And I understand they have been Lumberghed to death and have itchy trigger fingers ... but the more "Quinn Fags" came after me, the more I settled into that role of making fun of them and defending myself.

Listen, in the real world I like Brady Quinn a lot. I like Derek Anderson too. I'm really more or less an interested observer of Camp Mangini, hoping one of them breaks through (takes the bull by the horns, lol) and makes my football team a better team. I'm going to support the Browns and their starting QB when that opening kickoff takes flight, you can count on it.

On here ... I have put myself in position of battling the Quinnies because I chose to try and fill that gap between Lumbergh and reality and I have pissed off a lot people in doing so.

Oh well ... I'm still friends with Shep and Rif and a lot of the guys ... and Flugel and I will be just fine ... and I'd buy any one of you a beer and talk about my Browns passion if I ever met you.

Quinn Nation got a little faggy for me and I threw myself into the battle. "DA nation" didn't really have any good thoughtful posters on their side ... they needed me more.

Zombo

--Brady's a good kid ... I really do root for him too ... I guess when you support two Browns who play the same position you're a pole sitter, or in Flugel's words a "pussy" ... I actually think blindly supporting Quinn would have been easier ... I stood up for a guy I thought no one else was properly standing up for.

So who are the "DA Fags"? Lumbergh and drunknstoopid?

r.

Don't lump me in with lumburgh. I've never predicted a winner of this competition, called Quinn names, or used the word fag to describe his fans. I've held that it's the coach's decision to make, and just as you have, defended DA against posters saying stuff I find rediculous.

I'm not going to name any DA Fags, but there are more I would add to your list, but I am not gonna get them all riled up.

And yeah I understand most of what you said. Except I do disagree. You're points would come across with much more clarity and be understood MUCH more if you actually DID "snip Lumbergh" now and then. Because unfortunately, Not enough posters on here read every post with depth and understanding. They skim and then go off spouting what they really wanted to say in the first place. And they're the ones that likely end up turning this into the rediculous debate it becomes most times.

As for who you're stil friends with (other than I am hurt you didn't name me :P ), I don't think any posters here have to worry about these discussion afeecting friendships.

OK ... what you're saying is that I would have more street cred if I bit Lumbergh's head off every now and then?

Zombo

--I don't know if I can do that to myself ... I'm mean Skippy ... er, Rif

OK ... what you're saying is that I would have more street cred if I bit Lumbergh's head off every now and then?

Zombo

I don't mind saying it, kinda like Masters said to me......there is no way I could be Lumfreddy. First off, I can't stand DA enough to pull it off nor do I have the time or smarts to do it. If it's you, we need to find you a second job. I know it's not Skip, he only finds time to attach his lips to your ass and be the poor man's version of Lumquat.

Lums is real folks, I hate to tell ya. There actually is a crazy ass MFer from Oregon that is absolutely in love with a guy who is a certifiable drive killer.

I don't mind saying it, kinda like Masters said to me......there is no way I could be Lumfreddy. First off, I can't stand DA enough to pull it off nor do I have the time or smarts to do it. If it's you, we need to find you a second job. I know it's not Skip, he only finds time to attach his lips to your ass and be the poor man's version of Lumquat.

Lums is real folks, I hate to tell ya. There actually is a crazy ass MFer from Oregon that is absolutely in love with a guy who is a certifiable drive killer.

Rif you have Admin Powers, you know it's not me because you can check IPs.

I think it is great that everyone thinks we made this guy up.

He doesn't really bug me, I think he's kinda funny actually, but he's under my radar as far real football analysis.

I've responded to his posts a few times and he never responded, so, honestly, I lost interest in the guy.

But if everyone would feel better if I trashed him once in awhile I will try to comply.

It's almost football season though ... I'm ready for some Steeler meat ... I hope we can attract some smarter ones this year.

Zombo

Zombo

It appears that having your chinstrap too tight can have an affect on what you say. Look at the page views. :blink:

Zombo was Horse Balls (?). Or was Stan? I forget...

He would have had to pull off a sacha Baron Cohenesque feat to be successfully portray that many characters.

Zombo was Horse Balls (?). Or was Stan? I forget...

He would have had to pull off a sacha Baron Cohenesque feat to be successfully portray that many characters.

Lums is sporting right now just from us discussing him. This effer is jacking off in front of the mirror as he posts. He's got Inspecta chasing him around like he's a hybrid da ich/Gillooly on every post he has, and on top of that his lover just had a pretty damn good game yesterday.

I've actually had a few real football convos with Lumwadicus before, and I bet he ain't all that bad a dude. He can talk football when he's not busy being a complete and total jackdick on here. He said he played FB and MLB in HS, which he shared the same HS coach as Derek Bear.

Zombo pulled off Horse Balls barely posting and not even trying to hide it. There is no way anybody could pull off pretending to be that crazy Oregon bastard, it ain't possible.

Shit, Lumsy started flirting with me a little after his man got signed, it was kinda cute but I ain't like that. It was late at night.

Lumsy started flirting with me a little after his man got signed, it was kinda cute but I ain't like that. It was late at night.

Good thing you weren't drunk. You could have accidentally conceived a Lum Jr. Just imagine how much that would suck.

Good thing you weren't drunk. You could have accidentally conceived a Lum Jr. Just imagine how much that would suck.

I'm trying to picture the smugness that a little Lums would have. All I can think of is David Spade/Paris Hilton at 18/Micheal J Fox circa Family Ties.....Oh, and with some redneck homophobia incorporated in there.

Don't worry, Spect will get him straightened out.

Oh well ... I'm still friends with Shep and Rif and a lot of the guys ... and Flugel and I will be just fine ...

Zombo

--Brady's a good kid ... I really do root for him too ... I guess when you support two Browns who play the same position you're a pole sitter, or in Flugel's words a "pussy" ....

LOL! We're cool Zombo - always have been. It's training camp so I thought we could both use a little tuneup today. You didn't get much of a fight from Poor Soupdawg last week. Right Soupdawg? Soupdawg? Has anyone seen that poor guy since last weekend?

- Tom F.

No I'm responding to your other personality that thinks he's Dr Detroit with in-depth power analyses on games he never sees.

Quit being a pussy straddling the fence all of a sudden. You know darn well you declared DA was not the answer after you inventoried popular opionion last Fall (immediately following Quinn's 2nd start that produced 30 points). I believe the purpose of your post was to declare "Quinn is the starter period." Ring a bell? Then magically, someone with administrative powers removed such a thread when I archived it 1 time too many this Spring. I'm sure if it ever resurfaces - it'll be all edited so you can maintain your straddle at the top of the fence.

WTF happened to you?

- Tom F.

CLE 14 36 185 0 0 23 4 18 0 12 Those are the stats from the Buffalo game that produced 29 points. A 72 yard run by harrison, 5 FGS by Dawson and a 2 yard run by Josh Cribbs.

1st FG started on the Buffalo 49

2nd FG started on the Buffalo 12

3rd FG started on the Cleveland 37 and got 37 yards of offense then FG

4th FG started on Cleveland 43

5th FG started on Cleveland 33 and got 28 yards of offense before the FG

In 13 possessions the Browns went 3 and out 4 times, had one possession of 4 plays for minus 4 yards and 4 other possessions that produced 37 yards or fewer and of course one that was 2 plays because they were running the clock out. And know that the position that BQ got the Browns into to win the game was a 56 yard FG and if the Bills would have hit a 47 yard FG at the end of the game then the Browns would not have won that game.

I appreciate that you do not think DA is the answer but I don't think I would use the Buffalo game as a example of why BQ should start. If DA had played this game and did what BQ did all you would say is that he had left a ton of points on the board and that Dawson bailed DA out, but because it is BQ you use it as an example of why he should start.

3 - 13 on third down - 4.9 yards per pass - and a Qb rating of 55.9 and Buffalo finished at 7 - 9 (below .500) and the Browns played them when on a downward spiral in the middle of a 2 - 8 finish. I just putting that in there since you like to talk about beating the patsies of the league.

And just for fun, when BQ lead the Browns to the defeat to the Broncos the Broncos were in the middle of a spiral of their own going 4 - 7 the last 11 games and finishing at 8 - 8. The Broncos had the 29th ranked defense, gave up the 26th most yards per game passing and gave up an average QB rating of 98.5. But with that said BQ is not the reason the Browns lost to the Broncos it was the defense falling apart. Though 4th quarter possessions for the Browns, Punt, fumble by Winslow on 3rd and 6, Nice drive for TD (3 short passes taken for good YAC) and then 4 and out on the potential game winning drive.

Nobody should think BQ played poorly against Denver. He didn't, he played really well. But they are a .500 ball club with a horrible defense and when it came to the game winning drive that started on the Cleveland 33 yard line BQ was 1 - 4 for 9 yards. I just am trying to imagine how allot of people would have spun this game if it was DA at the helm. And yes I know that it was BQs first start and I already said he played really well and defense is what lost this game. Just wanted to throw some stats out there to look at.

And just to be fair I believe DAs first start was against Pittsburgh in 2006 which I am pretty sure had a little better defense than the 2008 Broncos. So here are his stats for that game:

CLE 21 37 276 1 1 45 1 4 0 4

And his second start against the Ravens:

CLE 23 32 223 2 2 36

The Browns lost both of those games.

I think that BQ will start this year for Cleveland. I am just trying to put a little perspective on things.

Guys, it's pretty simple: Anderson played well and extended the competition. If he'd laid an egg, it was over. It's not. Next week's game will matter to the competition after all.

Anderson played well- against a team that went 0-16 last year and need a last second field goal first preseason game to beat an equally abysmal Chiefs team. As Flugel pointed out we've seen this version of DA- against the stiffs- that tends to give one false hope. If he had lit up the Titans like that, I'd be far more impressed.

FWIW, I actually showed up at the game, and Cribbs return of the opening kickoff for what should have been a TD took the fight out of Detroit, and after he returned the punt, the Lions rolled over and played dead. Sorry to inform Lums but Cribbs and Wright gift wrapped 10 of the Browns 20 first half points.

I have to say- if The Detroit Clunkers continue to play like this, Tampa's record of consecutive losses is in serious jeopardy- and Stafford absolutely sucked Saturday- I can guarantee you any 1\2 decent qb behind center for the Lions and it's not 20-3 at halftime. MS badly misfired on a couple of tosses that would have been easy touchdowns if he had connected.

Oh, Anderson looked sharper than usual- but still plenty of room for improvement. Like tossing what would have been a TD to Edwards out of bounds, and that Akilli Smith special WTF worm burner he uncorked. NO excuse for gift wrapping 3 for the Lions at the end of the half- and Mangini hinted as much.

ADDED EDITORIAL COMMENT Forgot to mention DA showed another of his all to frequently displayed annoying traits. He about got Massequoi killed tossing a pass that led him directly into a safety that took his head off.

The local radio pretty much toasted him- and one persuasive argument against DA that came out was when you're playing against really good defenses- can we say Steelers and Ravens- you're not going to get that many chances to score, and you had better make the most of every opportunity you get.

So let's celebrate- I have great hope this upcoming season there's probably a few teams in the NFL that are going to be even worse than the Browns.

Anderson played well- against a team that went 0-16 last year and need a last second field goal first preseason game to beat an equally abysmal Chiefs team.

Quinn started against the Lions last preseason (the season they actually were 0-16), he played the whole first half, and the team got crushed 26-6.

This year the Lions are expected to be better and yet the results for the Browns were reversed with DA starting.

And the Lions beat the Falcons last week, not the Chiefs.

This year the Lions are expected to be better

Better than 0-16?!?!?! Ummmm......How could they be worse?

Now all we have to do is bribe the league office to schedule us against 2 to 5-win teams for 16 games and DA will be a HOF'er.

Quinn started against the Lions last preseason (the season they actually were 0-16), he played the whole first half, and the team got crushed 26-6.

This year the Lions are expected to be better and yet the results for the Browns were reversed with DA starting.

And the Lions beat the Falcons last week, not the Chiefs.

I'll stand corrected about the Falcons. BUT- I was actually at BOTH preseason games (have a good friend that lives just north of Detroit). And FYI @ Ford Field, the Browns o-line forgot to get on the bus to Detroit. Quinn was getting killed on virtually every pass play.

Now let's fast forward to last Saturday. Did Anderson even get touched on any of his scoring drives? Known fact- DA normally looks great when he has all day to throw. But then again, so will any NFL quarterback short of Akilli Smith given bulletproof protection.

Glad you brought up that sack Quinn took on his first play. Go watch the tape. Quinn had NO CHANCE to even unload the ball. Ahem, he COULD have just chucked it up there for grabs, like DA would have. :) Detroit sent the house up the middle, and to add insult (one of the tackles- it may have been Joe Thomas) totally whiffed on an outside rush.

Now let's fast forward to last Saturday. Did Anderson even get touched on any of his scoring drives? Known fact- DA normally looks great when he has all day to throw. But then again, so will any NFL quarterback short of Akilli Smith given bulletproof protection.

Glad you brought up that sack Quinn took on his first play. Go watch the tape. Quinn had NO CHANCE to even unload the ball. Ahem, he COULD have just chucked it up there for grabs, like DA would have. :) Detroit sent the house up the middle, and to add insult (one of the tackles- it may have been Joe Thomas) totally whiffed on an outside rush.

Yes Anderson got hit, most notably when they replayed the hit he took on the incomplete to Royal in the end zone.

I didn't say anything about the sack, didn't see that play, but since you brought it up I do recall Kosar noting that Quinn failed to make blitz reads on several occasions.

As far as throwing it up for grabs with the blitz coming, let's hope that Quinn learned something after he nearly handed a pick 6 to Green Bay last week, because he's gonna get the shit blitzed out of him if he ever needs to come in and play.

I forgot to post this. Since I pointed out that Denver had the second worst pass defense in the league last year giving up a rating of 98.5. I thought I should tell you detroit had the worst pass defense giving up a rating over 100. Not positive what it was but it was close to a rating of 110 per game. You can take that to mean how ever you want to spin it. I have a feeling I know how each camp would spin it.

Oh, and just for general knowledge I am in support of DA to be the QB. I just think that all things being equal that the Browns must start BQ. We know what DA can do and if he can not beat out BQ then BQ should get a chance to see what he can do. Again if it is a tie or even near a tie then the Browns must start BQ.

And based on last night I would say that BQ did not hurt his chances of starting. He played under control and made some very nice passes that were called back because of penalties. DA played well also, enough to keep him in the discussion but I don't think he played well enough to keep BQ on the bench.

And I do not call people names, I try and give some support on why I think DA is a good QB. And I also try and put some perspective on things concerning BQ. But I don't think either QB sucks and with proper coaching I think they will both be successful. I can agree that DA did not progress enough but remember he had the same lousy coaches as BQ did.

And I will finally say that who cares about last year at this point. I want to see who ever will lead this team to wins. I came to this board and follow the Browns because DA was the starting QB but I enjoy the team and I enjoy most of the people on the board. And I don't like to see crap on the field anymore than anybody else. One of the Qbs needs to step up, if DA doesn't step up and step up big (he did not during the packer game) then the Browns must see what BQ can do and that is what I think they will end up doing.

Archived