THE BROWNS BOARD

Jeremiah was a Bullfrog

The Gipper

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Sorry Nickers there's a reason the Butkus award is named after, um Butkus. 6'3" 245...  Prototypical size-and if you ever saw him play- poor running backs looked like they had been hit by a freight train. Lewis wasn't a lightweight either at 245, and the reason he fell into the second round was a lousy 40 time.  

I know... I saw Butkus in our backfield on just about every play during the Phipps era..

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

In case some of you Millenials didn't get the reference in the thread  title,  here you go:

Sorry  Gipper MHO that rates as one of the dumbest songs of all time. Start a thread and ask if anyone has a better idea.  

10 hours ago, nickers said:

Butkus and Lewis weren't huge either..

Do you know anything about football? Have you no idea why they called them the Monsters of the Midway?

"Middle linebackers

Within their acclaimed defenses, the Bears have been described as having a particularly strong legacy at middle linebacker, with players often being referred to as "Monsters in the Middle", a play on the Monsters of the Midway nickname.[6] This is mainly due to the play of Bill George, Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, and Brian Urlacher"

Given the fact that one of the biggest DTs in Butkus' era was Dallas' Bob Lilly at 6'5" 260, Butkus at 6'3" 245 was absolutely huge for a LB, even for MLB.

Do better research next time you throw shit on the board.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2021 at 11:56 PM, Comeonman said:

Had to work tonight and didn’t see any commentary. Any reason for him dropping that far? I figured he’d go in the first for sure 

A big reason for his drop has to do with Isaiah Simmons not having a great rookie campaign as they are very similar prospects and the cardinals couldn't/can't figure out how to use him. If he were in last years draft he is probably a top 15 pick because a player like Simmons was all the hype It's a copy cat league.

Side note a big reason for Trey Lance rise is Josh Allen's success from what I've heard.  A lot of people see similar qualities in those two

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Do you know anything about football? Have you no idea why they called them the Monsters of the Midway?

"Middle linebackers

Within their acclaimed defenses, the Bears have been described as having a particularly strong legacy at middle linebacker, with players often being referred to as "Monsters in the Middle", a play on the Monsters of the Midway nickname.[6] This is mainly due to the play of Bill George, Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, and Brian Urlacher"

Given the fact that one of the biggest DTs in Butkus' era was Dallas' Bob Lilly at 6'5" 260, Butkus at 6'3" 245 was absolutely huge for a LB, even for MLB.

nickers is the epitome of "Proudly and Loudly Ignorant". He's very 21st Century American.  

7 hours ago, nickers said:

I know... I saw Butkus in our backfield on just about every play during the Phipps era..

Mike Phipps was a member of the Cleveland Browns from 1970-1976.

The Bears and Browns played each other a grand total of one time during that time period.

Wrong again.

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sorry Nickers there's a reason the Butkus award is named after, um Butkus. 6'3" 245...  Prototypical size-and if you ever saw him play- poor running backs looked like they had been hit by a freight train. Lewis wasn't a lightweight either at 245, and the reason he fell into the second round was a lousy 40 time.  

Lewis, I do not believe fell to the second round,   did he?   I thought he was taken as  Baltimore's second choice in that draft,   after Jonathan Ogden,  but still first round.   Have to check. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sorry  Gipper MHO that rates as one of the dumbest songs of all time. Start a thread and ask if anyone has a better idea.  

Yea,  pretty dumb song.  Not the best  3 Dog Night  had to offer.    Of course, that is a band that never wrote their own songs I do not believe. 

Read something this morning about how Isaiah Simmons - another fast, small LB like JOK - drafted by the Cardinals in the first round last year, struggled as Arizona couldn't quite figure out how to use him. This is speculated to why JOK may have fallen way beyond where he was predicted.  

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"Middle linebackers

So sue me... I had always heard he was undersized and I honestly don't know where that came from.. My bad.. I always thought he looked small.. none the less... To me... He the benchmark at LB'er.. Him and Ray Nitschke set standards at the position.. I would have to include Sam huff too... I just remember Butkus being in our backfield on every play just about in the 70's.. Poor Mike Phipps was lousy.. But he didnt have a chance with our shitass line then.... No QB did... But all the same.. Brian Sipe came along and helped us forget Mike Phipps..

13 minutes ago, nickers said:

I just remember Butkus being in our backfield on every play just about in the 70's.. Poor Mike Phipps was lousy.. But he didnt have a chance with our shitass line then....

Nickers memory is as shitty as his knowledge on the matter.

The Bears played the Browns ONCE in the seven seasons Mike Phipps was a member of the Cleveland Browns. 

My opinion - the Browns will have him all over the place, driving offenses to try to know what the defense

is going to be doing. Owusu is far more Derwine James than Isaiah Simmons. Simmons is amazing, but at 6'4", 238, he is more

Simmons was more of an amazingly athletic lb, and Owusu is more a true safety that can play all sorts of positions like the squealers used to do with Troy Pollywannaquacker.

Simmons had a tough rookie year - they ran a lot of 3-4 and that didn't fit.

• Thanks 1