THE BROWNS BOARD

START JAMES DAVIS

osusev

I still think he was the steal of the entire draft. I believe he was screwed by his college team situation and should have been drafted much higher.

I am tired of the tap dance show and have not seen the "burst" from Jamal.

Davis has the Burst that young talented backs coming in have. There is a reason the shelf life of RB's in the NFL are short and JL is at the phase like the Bus was in Pittsburgh and should be used accordingly.

I dont remember the last 80 yard rushing td we had......

Dam it I like JL but cant stand his short steps and it seems like he waits to long for lanes and blockers when he can create on his own at times. I know that is a double edge sword and rbs should do both but maybe its just me.

Let's don't jump the gun. I saw him go down on quite a few arm tackles last night and looked just average against their #1's, which isn't a steller group. His big run was against their #3's.

I say he opened some eyes and will make the team but I also think he is still behind Harrison and rightfully so. BTW, he sucks picking up the blitz. Needs to show big improvment their.

Davis had 116 yards on 12 carries for an average of 9.7 yards per carry...

Take away the 81 yard run and he gains 35 yards on 11 carries for a 3.2 yards per carry average....

Same for DA, up until that 1minute drill his QB rating was something like 106...After the interception it dropped to something like 65...

This just goes to show how misleading statistics can be....

Peace

T.Dawg

I started at Clemson the year Davis did so I watched every game of this guy. He is highly underrated. I question his intelligence though but only because he stayed at Clemson last year even when they lost almost there entire starting Oline to graduation. Can't really blame a guy for being loyal but I saw the writing on the wall. His play and stats diminished because of our poor line play not because of his lack of talent. I really think you guys got a good one in davis.

Take away the 81 yard run and he gains 35 yards on 11 carries for a 3.2 yards per carry average....

That's like saying "take away Shittsburgh's 6 Super Bowl wins and they don't have any."

They happened, and an 81-yard run happened. You can't take away the special play he made. If he was a slower/crappier back, he wouldn't have been able to pull off an 81-yard TD run. So the stats aren't misleading.

Guest TheJokersWILD

I think Davis is the real deal, showed speed and great cutting ability. As far as him not breaking alot of tackles, I think that will improve with game experience. Cribbs looked like someone was controlling him with a joystick on the return that wasn't called back. Speaking of joysticks, I just created James Davis on Madden and I gave him 95 spd,95 acc, and 97 agi. What do you think Inspecta?

Guest TheJokersWILD
That's like saying "take away Shittsburgh's 6 Super Bowl wins and they don't have any."

They happened, and an 81-yard run happened. You can't take away the special play he made. If he was a slower/crappier back, he wouldn't have been able to pull off an 81-yard TD run. So the stats aren't misleading.

It looked like a guy had an angle on him at the end of the play and blew right by him, yeah he has speed

He looked OK. I'm not ready to crown him yet. take away one long run he has 13 carries for 40 yards on the season. 3.07 yard average, 3 catches for 17 yards.. Not to mention we played DETROIT. It does not take a bully to beat up a blind man. Atalanta had over 4 yards a carry against them last week including Turner 6 carries for 63 yards.. Let's see what happens when he plays a real defense again.

I still want to see what Harrison has to bring to the table. I believe Jamal will be fine. If Davis earns the carries great. I'm just not ready to crown him after beating up on DETROIT.. Yeah Detroit.. I see why they were 0-16 last year.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's no good. I'm saying it's too early to say he ' IS" good. I see this every year in the preseason where a rookie for some team looks great.

Guest Aloysius

Here's some context: during Jerome Harrison's first two rookie preseason games, he accumulated the following stats:

• 18 carries, 123 yards; 8 receptions, 64 yards, TD
And here are James Davis's stats:
  • 14 carries, 121 yards, TD; 3 receptions, 17 yards
Both looked good, and both should be part of the solution at running back. But I'm not sure we've got good reason to say that the 6th rounder's a steal and the 5th rounder isn't, or that the rookie should get the nod over the 4th year vet.

Here's some context: during Jerome Harrison's first two rookie preseason games, he accumulated the following stats:
  • 18 carries, 123 yards; 8 receptions, 64 yards, TD
And here are James Davis's stats:
  • 14 carries, 121 yards, TD; 3 receptions, 17 yards
Both looked good, and both should be part of the solution at running back. But I'm not sure we've got good reason to say that the 6th rounder's a steal and the 5th rounder isn't, or that the rookie should get the nod over the 4th year vet.

I think both of those sets of stats prove two things.

One, both deserve some regular-season carries.

And two, Romeo Crennel is an idiot. How you keep a guy like Harrison on the bench so long without even letting him barely sniff some action is indefensible.

I still think he was the steal of the entire draft. I believe he was screwed by his college team situation and should have been drafted much higher.

I am tired of the tap dance show and have not seen the "burst" from Jamal.

Davis has the Burst that young talented backs coming in have. There is a reason the shelf life of RB's in the NFL are short and JL is at the phase like the Bus was in Pittsburgh and should be used accordingly.

I dont remember the last 80 yard rushing td we had......

Dam it I like JL but cant stand his short steps and it seems like he waits to long for lanes and blockers when he can create on his own at times. I know that is a double edge sword and rbs should do both but maybe its just me.

I totally agree, "I dont remember the last 80 yard rushing td we had" try a 80 yardrushing game. You would think that the football gods

would smile on him atleast once a season to show a little mercy.

If we can get him some carries with the 1st team next Saturday against the TITANS stout D, and he can get a few good runs on them, I do believe that we will be seeing him a lot to start the year. Not to start a new thread but man i think we have some pretty damn good WR's.

Yo mz the pussy, hate to burst your bubble but pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is not a statistic, it's a fact...

These kind of statistics may be good for your fantasy league but in the real world they're just numbers with misleading values...

I spent a 36 year career in engineering, was a VP of engineering for the last 12 years of my career and was compensated with a 6 figure income... A big part of my responsibilities was overseeing the estimating function.... When you're bidding on manufacturing a million widgets and you use straight line statistics you either hit it big or lose the ranch... If you want a lesson in regressions drop me a line... I can educate you, for a price that is...

BTW the topic of this thread was to start Davis now... I'm just trying to point out that it's way too early to annoint him the starter... However, I do like his game, he could end up being the steal of the draft....

Peace

T.Dawg

Yo mz the pussy, hate to burst your bubble but pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is not a statistic, it's a fact...

So James Davis breaking off an 81-yard TD yesterday was a figment of my imagination?

My point is both circumstances are FACTS one cannot dispute. You may for some reason wish to massage the stats in such a way as to make them more palatable for you, but they are facts nevertheless.

Your six-fig salary does impress me though. B):rolleyes:

Here's the facts as I see them. Jamal Lewis would have been tackled at the line of scrimmage on that play. Ytown is right, Davis is getting arm tackled and he left some yards out there on that draw. However, I would start him right now and use Harrison as the third down back.

You guys gotta get it in your head, Lewis blows bad man. That 81 yard run probably means a win in a regular season game. He made that play based on a wicked cut and then buried his head and took it to the house. The kid is the real deal, and I am the first to admit I missed bad on this cat.

I can still cling to Glue Hands Hubbard sucking balls though. Hey Shep, is he still starting?

I drafted Davis in one of my league's tonight.

RAC 'n ROLLS ain't coaching here no more folks, we may have the best guy play. Lewis can go into operation poutdown and it won't matter.

Davis breaking off an 81 yard run was a fact the same as pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is a fact...Agreed you cannot dispute the facts but you can dispute the value of the statistics...

Let me explain it to you this way:

You're hunting bear...Your 1st shot misses one inch to the right.. Your 2nd shot misses 1 inch to the left... Statistically you hit the bastard right between the eyes but in reality you were the bears lunch.....

When you're trying to make a value judgement based on straight line statistics you're setting your self up for failure... Thats not a statistic, thats a fact.......

Peace

T.Dawg

I spent a 36 year career in engineering, was a VP of engineering for the last 12 years of my career and was compensated with a 6 figure income... A big part of my responsibilities was overseeing the estimating function.... When you're bidding on manufacturing a million widgets and you use straight line statistics you either hit it big or lose the ranch... If you want a lesson in regressions drop me a line... I can educate you, for a price that is...

Sorry, but that IS a statistic, i.e. a numerical datum.

Kudos on your career, but evidently you were a little too eager in your effort to pat yourself on the back and forgot some fundamentals.

OK T.Dawg, you seem to be arguing that James Davis sucked other than that huge run. Which is fine. My position is one that believes you're grossly devaluing that one huge run, pretty much labeling it an anomaly.

And I'm not basing my judgment on straight-line stats. I'm basing my judgment on watching him break that run, knowing our current starter, just as Riff believes, gets zero on that play. That right there has inherent value for me.

Davis breaking off an 81 yard run was a fact the same as pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is a fact...Agreed you cannot dispute the facts but you can dispute the value of the statistics...

Let me explain it to you this way:

You're hunting bear...Your 1st shot misses one inch to the right.. Your 2nd shot misses 1 inch to the left... Statistically you hit the bastard right between the eyes but in reality you were the bears lunch.....

When you're trying to make a value judgement based on straight line statistics you're setting your self up for failure... Thats not a statistic, thats a fact.......

Peace

T.Dawg

Daddy, did you see the run?

It was special, that is all that needs to be said. Mixing stat arguments etc ain't what it's about. The kid made a huge play out of nothing. He may end up starting for us, so believe it and believe in him. I don't hate Lewis, but we need a back that can keep defenses honest. Lewis is not even a good power back IMO, he's just a HB way past his prime. That's coming from somebody who usually has the older guys' back about losing a step or 5 as in Lewis' case.

No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....

How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....

It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....

You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....

Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....

Peace

T.Dawg

Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....

Sorry to be a stickler about this, but since you got on your high horse to "burst" mz the pussy's "bubble," there are 3 statistics in that statement....not 1.

An event being something that you classify as "fact" and an event being a statistic are not mutually exclusive.

No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....

How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....

It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....

You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....

Peace

T.Dawg

I'm not talking about Pitt winning SB's or stats or what anybody has done over their life I'm saying IMO Davis may be a better bet for us this year. That is not arguing or saying you are wrong about anything, it's simply stating what I believe. I feel Lewis leaves yards all over the field. Davis may or may not be a stud or even a decent player, but much like DA it's time to see if we have better options and I think Davis may be one.

We will see, but I hope Mangie ain't afraid to make a call.

Hey Timmy, I made a post trying to show how misleading statistics can be and mz the pussy responded by throwing out pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls as a straight line statistic.... And how am I on my high horse when mz the pussy is jumping on my post????? I made a statement and he replied and you my friend come across as all pissy...

You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest... Who knows, I may just bow to your superior knowledge....Peace

T.Dawg

I can't remember the last 80+ TD run by a browns back, longest one I can find is a 72-yard run by Harrison last year? Too bad that didn't get him any more playing time, as someone already said "thanks RAC".

-db

You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest...

LOL....no thanks.

I get more than enough of that in "real life."

As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"

Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."

Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever. :rolleyes:

LOL....no thanks.

I get more than enough of that in "real life."

As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"

Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."

Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever. :rolleyes:

I will stay out of the statistics debate as I avoided that stuff like the plague when in school.

Whether Davis starts or not doesn't really matter to me as i don't think Lewis is garbage as some claim. I do however think as the season numbers are totaled, Davis should gather more carries than does Lewis.

If anybody has their touches reduced, it should be Lewis.

I guess it is fair to say Lewis is a better bet to gain 3 yards while Davis is a better bet to gain more than 3.

I wonder how statistics would reflect that??

Archived