THE BROWNS BOARD

Why the stimulus flopped

Mr. T

Why the stimulus flopped:

“I don’t know why one of the least fiscally debauched states in the Union needs funds from ‘the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act’ to repair random stretches of highway, especially stretches that were perfectly fine until someone came along to dig them up in order to access ’stimulus’ funding.

I would have asked one of those men with a shovel, as depicted on the sign, but there were none to be found. Usually in New Hampshire, they dig up the road, and re-grade or repave it, while the flagmen stand guard until it’s all done.

But here a certain federal torpor seemed to hang in the eerie silence. Still, what do I know?

Evidently, it’s stimulated the sign-making industry, putting America back to work by putting up ‘PUTTING AMERICA BACK TO WORK’ signs every 200 yards across the land. And at $300 bucks a pop, the signage alone should be enough to launch an era of unparalleled prosperity, assuming America’s gilded sign magnates don’t spend their newfound wealth on Bahamian vacations and European imports. More Obama Machine Propaganda

Perhaps if the president were to have his All-Seeing O logo lovingly hand-painted onto each sign, it would stimulate the economy even more, if only when they were taken down and auctioned on eBay.”

For the rerest of the article

Its funny they spend more on advertising the stilumus is working, than actual real stimulus. Hold that thought, who actually got the stimulus?

does anybody know? maybe its the worker at walmart/kmart trying to feed his family after Obama Machine closed auto mfg. plants in Ohio.

Its funny they spend more on advertising the stilumus is working, than actual real stimulus. Hold that thought, who actually got the stimulus?

does anybody know? maybe its the worker at walmart/kmart trying to feed his family after Obama Machine closed auto mfg. plants in Ohio.

Just wondering if you had any pertaining information on the first Stimulus?

Some claim that we will never know if the stimulous plan worked or not. How can we be so sure - so early in the ballgame - that it didn't work.

Too premature to use past tense at the present time, T.

Isn't that the one that went directly to the people via 'rebate checks'?

If it is, as I recall, there were no reporting requirements of that package so we have no real idea where the money went.

Did that package fail? Depends on your perspective. Based on the continuing economic downfall it's safe to say that many Americans didn't spend that money (as was hoped) but used it to pay off/lower debts or put it in savings. But I have to admit, I liked getting that rebate check.

I think to some extent the idea behind the 'second' stimulus package was to have more control over the money so it could be tracked. And that's why it was directed at specific programs and specific federal/state/local agencies where the feds had the control to require more documentation. Only time will tell if it will really be more successful.

In the long run I have my doubts because the projects that we are using it for (for example) are short term and once they are done that's it. In some cases (at least in the roadway infrastructure funds) the selected projects already had federal funding and had already met some of the federal requirements (noted above) in order to be 'shovel ready'. The result was simply that the federal funding originally on that project was moved to maybe fund another project or projects.

I guess that's why "conservatives" are not bitching about where that money went, they have no clue. Sounds about right.

Some claim that we will never know if the stimulous plan worked or not. How can we be so sure - so early in the ballgame - that it didn't work.

Too premature to use past tense at the present time, T.

Well lets consider over 2.5 Million people out of work since Obama has taken office?

How much money from the Trillions spent on stimulus actually go towards job creation? I would say its in the millions.

But most Americans cannot attach themselves to numbers such as, what is the difference between Millions Billions or Trillions. When they only work with Thousands in a year.

Well lets consider over 2.5 Million people out of work since Obama has taken office?

How much money from the Trillions spent on stimulus actually go towards job creation? I would say its in the millions.

T, the 2.5 mil was from the 2 previous administrations. It was a LONG time coming. You think this was strictly Obama's fault, come on man.

T, I will be the first one to jump in and say this stimulus did NOT work, but you got to give it some time. I am not saying it was right or wrong, what I am saying is give it some time and then we can make that assumption. Right or wrong the money is spent, no amount of whining can take that away.

Thank you, Paul Krugman.

Reality is you have no freakin' clue, T. Neither do I.

But most Americans cannot attach themselves to numbers such as, what is the difference between Millions Billions or Trillions. When they only work with Thousands in a year.

Coming out of a recession ,the last thing to rebound is jobs,it was reported when the first inklings of confidence trickled out that we may be coming out of this that the unemployment rate would continue to hover around 10% till the first quarter of 2010.

Say what you will but given the mess were in thats a pretty good turnaround,lets just hope we stay on this positive course.

What turnaround Dan? Speculative, at best.

T, the 2.5 mil was from the 2 previous administrations. It was a LONG time coming. You think this was strictly Obama's fault, come on man.

Mr T Is Brilliant!!!!! You have to love this Man!!!!!

T, I will be the first one to jump in and say this stimulus did NOT work, but you got to give it some time. I am not saying it was right or wrong, what I am saying is give it some time and then we can make that assumption. Right or wrong the money is spent, no amount of whining can take that away.

No whining here, just stating FacTs. 2,5 Milli9on people have lost their jobs under Obama,

and then again if you do spend a shit load of TaxPayer $$

Some will reap the benefits, Workers, Organizations Who knows exactly where the $$ is spent unless your going to read the freaking law.

No whining here, just stating FacTs. 2,5 Milli9on people have lost their jobs under Obama,

and then again if you do spend a shit load of TaxPayer $$

Some will reap the benefits, Workers, Organizations Who knows exactly where the $$ is spent unless your going to read the freaking law.

Isn't that like saying that the 302,000 soldiers that died during WW II was Truman's "fault". And the 220,000 Japanese that died from Little Boy and Fat Man was FDR's fault.

The fact is, this would of happened whoever was in office and started to happen even before Obama took office. I would expect more from your analytic skills. It's called being "fair and balanced".

Did Truman have a congress behind him? or were they against him?

Then ask did "W" have a congress behind him? or against him?

your analogy does not the hold water.

If you break down the stimulus and eventually it does put some peolple back to work, what products will the government turn out that they can capatalize on so they dont have to continue Taxing Americans to pay for these jobs?

Are we in favor of a fascist government just so we have jobs?

The Free enterprise system has worked for quite a while until government started messsing with it.

Archived