THE BROWNS BOARD

TUESDAY Aug 25 PRACTICE UPDATES!

Dan in Florida

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Practice: 1:30 - 3:30 PM

WELL, I'M DONE CHECKING FOR UPDATES. Aloysius found out what happened with BQ's last drive of the practice (see his post below) .

If anyone wants to keep checking the Rapid Reports Updates, here is the LINK.

4:58:27 pm When asked if rookie WR Brian Robiskie had hit the proverbial wall recently, coach Eric Mangini said that sometimes a wall can hit a player. "I don't feel I hit a plateau," Robiskie said. "My whole goal has been to consistent. I've had a lot of opportunities to grow and learn from my mistakes."

4:53:51 pm LB D'Qwell Jackson, who led the team in tackles the past two seasons, is looking forward to the formal conclusion of training camp tomorrow. "I can't wait to get back into my own bed," he said. "The hotel is OK, but my bed is way better."

4:53:09 pm Robaire Smith is one of the most balanced DE on the Browns. He has shown an ability to rush the passer and stop the run. "I try to be the same type of guy, whether it's in the weight room, classroom or on the field," said Smith, who has rebounded from an Achilles injury that knocked him out of 14 games last season

4:51:37 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini mentioned WR Mike Furrey's stint as a safety with St. Louis in 2005, leading media members to ask Furrey about it. "It worked out great; we were 4-12 that year," Furrey joked. He added that no Browns coach has asked him about dabbling as a DB this year.

3:57:49 pm Derek Anderson has lost his hot hand in game simulation. He threw behind several receivers on mid-range routes. He has given way to Brady Quinn, who will try to end practice by leading the offense into the end zone.

3:42:31 pm Browns rookie C Alex Mack appears more comfortable in the offense and is a strong possibility to be the starter when the team opens the regular season against Minnesota.

3:41:22 pm The Browns defense has had mixed results keeping the QB in the pocket today in game simulation. They did a good job of that Saturday in comparison to their preseason opener, though it didn't result in sacks.

3:40:43 pm Brad Seely screamed at his coverage unit during kickoff drills, an unusual occurance for the Browns special teams coordinator. "Don't let the (returner) get around you!" he yelled.

3:26:08 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini said he will be inviting a retired NFL official to camp to help players gain greater clarity about penalty calls and maximize his own abilities to challenge calls.

3:24:10 pm An old face has joined the Browns in camp. It's DL Brian Schaefering, who trained with the team last summer as well. TE Paul Raymond has been waived to create a roster spot.

3:00:08 pm Browns fans hope to see WR Braylon Edwards consistently haul in the kind of pass he just caught - a one-handed snag in the end zone from Brady Quinn after he got well behind DB Hank Poteat. Edwards led the NFL with 16 drops in 2008.

2:59:05 pm Browns QB Derek Anderson looks particularly sharp today. He just showed off his arm by rifling a tight spiral 40-yard strike to Braylon Edwards down the left sideline. The fate of Anderson and rival Brady Quinn could be determined this Saturday against Tennessee.

2:50:50 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini on how roster decisions will be made: "I tell coaches to be as objective and unemotional as possible and not let their feelings sway their decisions one way or another. It's not easy to do that because these are decisions about human beings made by other human beings."

2:45:56 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini said he will be working from about 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. daily when the regular season begins. As for sleep deprivation, he quipped, "There's a correlation between not getting enough sleep and weight gain. That's my excuse."

2:43:42 pm Speaking about the still-struggling Browns pass rush, coach Eric Mangini said, "We've blitzed in the preseason and hit the quarterback at times, but we've also lost contain on the quarterback or weren't tight enough on the receivers. If we keep the quarterback in the pocket the let the pressure reach from the backside it's a sack."

2:39:54 pm Saturday foe Tennessee is the only preseason opponent the Browns won't play in the regular season.

2:37:22 pm The number of Browns working out on the side is growing. On the stationery bikes today are OL Isaac Sowells and Ryan Tucker and LB Titus Brown. NT Shaun Rogers, LB David Bowens, RB Jerome Harrison and OL Rex Hadnot are working out with a trainer.

2:36:47 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini said the decision on who to start or play at WR will have nothing to do with who he selects to start at QB based on the best matchups of skills. "We want to get the best receivers out there no matter who is the quarterback," he said.

2:35:52 pm Browns rookie WR Brian Robiskie , who is in the scramble for playing time, just faked out veteran FS Abram Elam and caught a long pass from Derek Anderson in 1-on-1 drills.

2:34:59 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini had hinted during the offseason that WR/KR Josh Cribbs might be tried at DB. Mangini said today that such an experiment remains a future possibility, but that he wants Cribbs to concentrate now on maximizing his potential at WR.

2:33:55 pm When asked if GM George Kokinis will play a role in making roster decisions, coach Eric Mangini didn't answer directly. But he said that he discusses and analyzes players and practices on a daily basis with Kokinis.

2:31:14 pm One addition to practice is veteran WR David Patten, who has missed most of camp with an undisclosed injury. He might need the Browns to keep two possession receivers because Mike Furrey has locked up one roster spot.

1:55 pm Cleveland Browns welcome back a defensive lineman (not Shaun Smith) - by Tony Grossi/The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns added a defensive lineman and subtracted a receiver in their daily transaction.

Signed was defensive end Brian Schaefering, who spent the 2008 training camp with the Browns. Released was receiver Paul Raymond.

When practice began today, nose tackle Shaun Rogers, running back Jerome Harrison and linebacker David Bowens remained out of drills. They worked with trainers. Rogers hit the blocking sled with a trainer watching. None of the players appeared in the first two preseason games.

1:59:34 pm Many roster spots remain open. Browns coach Eric Mangini stressed that his first task will be identify his core players based on how many are required at each position. "We'll evaluate the other spots through the process because every year there are late pushes and dropoffs and guys get banged up," he said.

1:58:19 pm Robaire Smith appears to have an inside track at one of the starting DE spots. "I've been really impressed with Robaire," said Browns coach Eric Mangini. "He has an excellent work ethic. His exact role wil play out, but I like the things he's done."

1:55:19 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini said he has been impressed with the versatility displayed by S Mike Adams. Adams is not likely to start, however, because he is best suited to play FS and Abram Elam is entrenched as the starter there.

1:53:41 pm The Browns worked Monday on correcting the mistakes made in the preseason win against Detroit, but will now begin concentrating specifically on the far stronger Tennessee Titans, who invade Saturday night.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - Practice: 1:30 - 3:30 PM

1:55:19 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini said he has been impressed with the versatility displayed by S Mike Adams. Adams is not likely to start, however, because he is best suited to play FS and Abram Elam is entrenched as the starter there.

I thought Poole was the FS and Elam was the SS?

Poole was FS last year while Jones was SS and I'm sure he still is... must be a typo.

Quinn and DA looking good today...

August 25 3:00 ET Browns fans hope to see WR Braylon Edwards consistently haul in the kind of pass he just caught - a one-handed snag in the end zone from Brady Quinn after he got well behind DB Hank Poteat. Edwards led the NFL with 16 drops in 2008.

Browns fans hope to see WR Braylon Edwards consistently haul in the kind of pass he just caught - a one-handed snag in the end zone from Brady Quinn after he got well behind DB Hank Poteat. Edwards led the NFL with 16 drops in 2008.

August 25 2:59 ET Browns QB Derek Anderson looks particularly sharp today. He just showed off his arm by rifling a tight spiral 40-yard strike to Braylon Edwards down the left sideline. The fate of Anderson and rival Brady Quinn could be determined this Saturday against Tennessee.

Browns QB Derek Anderson looks particularly sharp today. He just showed off his arm by rifling a tight spiral 40-yard strike to Braylon Edwards down the left sideline. The fate of Anderson and rival Brady Quinn could be determined this Saturday against Tennessee.

Same old hot and cold DA...

August 25 3:57 ET Derek Anderson has lost his hot hand in game simulation. He threw behind several receivers on mid-range routes. He has given way to Brady Quinn, who will try to end practice by leading the offense into the end zone.

Let's see if there's a BQ update to finish the day. Not that we can conclude anything from anything about anything regarding the QB thing.

You are correct, Pool is FS

Technically Pool is the FS but the safties are interchangable in Mangini's system. They both need to be able to play like a FS and both need to be able to come up in run support. Just a little bit more flexability when either can come up or stay back.

are you a friggin moron or is it that you just don't know anything about football.

A friggin moron? Why? Because Robiskie has been so "undefineable" bad that even in these scripted practices, everybody says Robiskie is over his head?

Mangini's answer was also...........disheartening.

Guest Masters
A friggin moron? Why? Because Robiskie has been so "undefineable" bad that even in these scripted practices, everybody says Robiskie is over his head?

When did Mangini say that? I certainly have seen or heard him say that.

No one I know whose been to camp said this of him. It also hasn't been said in a single camp report I have read from any source. Every report has said he is as polished as advertised

So where exactly does this "underfineable" bad come from? Or Robiskie being in over his head? Who is this everybody?

When did Mangini say that? I certainly have seen or heard him say that.

No one I know whose been to camp said this of him. It also hasn't been said in a single camp report I have read from any source. Every report has said he is as polished as advertised

So where exactly does this "underfineable" bad come from? Or Robiskie being in over his head? Who is this everybody?

RIP huff's paint and then goes and watches the neighborhood kids play alley-ball. He just THINKS he's watching the browns.

Guest Aloysius

Grossi on how the QB's looked:

Quarterback derby: Both quarterbacks threw well and accurately in most drills. Derek Anderson, in particular, had his tight spiral impaling receivers. But in the two-minute drill at the end, both quarterbacks were typically unspectacular. Anderson drove the No. 1 team from the 20 to the defense's 39. He was victimized by one drop and three offensive penalties. Brady Quinn moved the No. 2 team from the 20 to the defense's 46. He suffered a drop by Martin Rucker and one offensive penalty. Quinn's final pass for Brian Robiskie nose-dived to the ground.

Guest Aloysius
Technically Pool is the FS but the safties are interchangable in Mangini's system. They both need to be able to play like a FS and both need to be able to come up in run support. Just a little bit more flexability when either can come up or stay back.

The folks at the OBR are hearing that Pool suffered a mild concussion in the Lions game and could be out a couple weeks.

Grossi's notes said James Davis and David Veikune got a lot of work with the first units. Either this team was way worse than I thought or this was one hell of a draft class. Maybe a little of both.

You know, as of last Thursday, I was certain Quinn would start the opener. I'm becoming less sure. Again.

Dude, nothing has changed, Derek followed up a decent 1st quarter with a pick. Classic DA. Quinn (with his limited reps) did well but was held back by 2 penalties by mr. St clair.

as far as starting the rookies, I think its the right thing to do whether they are showing they are clearly better than the vets or not. If you are drafting someone in the first few rounds, you expect them to start at some point, throw them into the fire now so they can get actual real gametime reps, and progress quicker. Yeah they might get shat on in the beginning, but they will hit their stride sooner, and keep it longer

HAhahahahaahahahah. When was the last time a second round receiver(almost first round) was cut before the season started? I have heard and SEEN up and down things from Robo, only you have stated hes been disastrous. Maybe he wasn't as polished as was thought, but the talent is still there.

Pessimism at its finest.

Archived