THE BROWNS BOARD

A Harry Situation; Furry at Safety?

Dan in Florida

BROWNS INSIDER

Cleveland Browns consider using receiver Mike Furrey at safety

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Remember all that talk in March about Josh Cribbs perhaps adding to his multiple roles by filling in at safety?

Well, the receiver now being mentioned as an emergency safety is Mike Furrey.

The discussion came up as a result of Brodney Pool missing his second practice in a row after suffering a possible concussion in last weekend's Detroit game. Pool has had at least three concussions previously. His absence obviously has a domino effect on the perilous depth at the position.

Mike Adams moved into Pool's starting spot. In the No. 1 dime defense fielded on Tuesday, cornerback Hank Poteat played safety.

Browns head coach Eric Mangini, who force-fed New England receiver Troy Brown into a nickel back role one season when he was there, casually mentioned that Furrey has done the same at safety. It was one of those, "You're kidding, right?" moments.

Sure enough, Furrey disclosed that he played 11 games at safety for St. Louis in 2005.

"I had four picks and one returned for a touchdown," he said. "I still don't know how that happened. Some day I'll reflect on it."

Furrey actually led the Rams in interceptions that year. His touchdown return was for 67 yards. His emer gency role came about because the Rams had in juries at safety and had a surplus at receiver. Furrey played two-way football in the now-defunct Arena League in 2002 and '03.

"My first game at safety [in 2005] was against Indianapolis on 'Monday Night Football,' " he said. "It was the game that Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison set the record for career touchdown passes. We took a lead and ended up getting beat, 45-28."

Incidentally, the experiment with Cribbs at safety is on hold.

"What I wanted to do was put him at one position, see how it progressed, and I think as we go the potential to cross train is there," Mangini said. "I'm a big believer in that."

Robaire the man:

Robaire Smith continues to hold down the right defensive end spot while working his way back from Achilles tendon surgery last year.

"It's holding up good," Smith said. "The pain, it ain't over with. It's going to be there all year."

Smith's camp is all the more impressive when one considers he's had to win over a new coaching staff unfamiliar with him. There's not much game tape from last year for them to see Smith before his injury.

"I've been really impressed with Robaire," Mangini said. "He's got an excellent work ethic. When he's on the field, he works. You understand how guys hang around a long time when you watch them work."

The 'no fun' team:

Linebacker D'Qwell Jackson was asked if it's an accurate perception that the players don't seem to be having a lot of fun at Camp Mangini.

"There's no time to have fun," he said. "We're out here taking care of business. Our fun is getting after the offense."

Quick slants:

Defensive lineman Brian Schaefering, who was in the 2008 Browns camp, was signed. Receiver Paul Raymond was cut. . . . Running back Jamal Lewis hits the big 3-0 today. He's got to be sick of talking about turning 30. It's the milestone age for an NFL running back. . . . Rookie center Alex Mack is sporting a buzz cut, apparently administered by himself and not the result of rookie hazing. . . . Mangini said "quite a few" spots on the final 53-player roster still are up for grabs. The first cut to 75 is Tuesday. The final cut to 53 is four days later.

------------------------------------------

After removing a troll by deleting this thread (by the originator) & re-posting it,

the following reply is restored:

BernietheKid replied (Today, 06:51 AM et) -

Looks like Safety might of just became of the top positions of need in next years draft!

Guest ATENEARS

All I've wanted since we returned in 1999 was a knock-out safety. I would think that all coaches would put more emphasis having that 'eraser' back there to QB their defense. This organization, no matter who is at the helm, has always treated the safety position as an after thought.

I worry about Pool.

First I don't think he is all that good, and he has a propensity for bruising his brain. I just don't think he can play a full season without hurting himself.

The next drat holds some pretty good safety prospects. I hope we consider one with the first pick....Berry is the cream...

All I've wanted since we returned in 1999 was a knock-out safety. I would think that all coaches would put more emphasis having that 'eraser' back there to QB their defense. This organization, no matter who is at the helm, has always treated the safety position as an after thought.

Not when Eric Turner was round..

Things like this show how dreadfully thin we are with talented depth. This is going to be a long year unless the D steps up and makes a quantum leap of improvement over last years performance.

Mangini had better be brainwashing these guys, cause if they let up in intensity, there weaknesses will be glaringly obvious.

Well, we had Sean Jones and let him go. He seemed to be the closest thing to what you want that we have had, fair to say?

But, yea, I agree that we need to keep looking for Jack Tatum Jr.

Dear God, everybody look out for the return of Jesus, Stan and I are in agreement.

I was really upset when we let Brian Russell go, he was the closest thing we've had to that knockout saftey since our return. Anybody care to remind Ocho Cinco why it was a bad idea to go across the field when Russel was playing for us?

I agree with Peen, pool was marginal at best, and he's had several concussions before, so this could actually be the final blow for him. Sad to say, but you don't want to end up like Rocky 6

You think Russell was more "knockout" than Sean Jones?

You think Russell was more "knockout" than Sean Jones?

I think they were both marginal players...one a little slow and the other poor instincts.

I don't think we can use either as an example of a top safety.

I wanted Ed Reed several years back....that is an example of a top safety. We haven't had someone like that is a long time...15-20 years.

I couldnt agree more atenears its been way to long since we have had even fielded a truly solid safety and imho its not a spot that should be viewed as an afterthought a knockout safety changes the course and direction of a game and even a team...;)

Yeah but sean jones had that bad right knee, and it severely limited his ability. He played like shit last year, and while I loved the pick when we made it, he joins the ever growing list of browns draft picks that have had their careers killed due to injuries.

He's not even starting in Philly. that should tell you something....

OK, but, wouldn't you say that for a couple of years he was about the best we have had at that position since 1999.

Russell played only about a year and a half for the Browns. In 2005 he played 16 games, in 2006 12 games.

Jones played 4 years with the Browns and played in 16 games each year except last year when he only played in 12 and suffered the injury you mention.

Jones had better stats in terms of numbers of ints. and tackles....though I agree that is by no means the sole measurement. As you say, that doesn't quantify "knockoutibility"

Yeah but sean jones had that bad right knee, and it severely limited his ability. He played like shit last year, and while I loved the pick when we made it, he joins the ever growing list of browns draft picks that have had their careers killed due to injuries.

He's not even starting in Philly. that should tell you something....

I don't think there is much merit in that article. Furrey has looked good in the slot position (like a poor man's Wes Welker). It would be nice to have a safety that could hit like Steve Atwater used to. Roy Williams fit that bill, but he was not great in coverage. I thought they should have looked at him before the Bungles snatched him up though.

I think it will be BE, MoMass, Furrey, Cribbs, Robo, Patten and Hubbard that are kept.

Highly Doubt it is Hubbard and not Legget. Doubting whether or not patten makes it too. He has been hurt almost all training camp

not only that but when asked directly Furrey said he's never even been approached about it. (!)

if he's possibly just mincing words because he wasn't specifically asked by ManGenie remains to be seen and i would agree it's a non-story Mike.

...until you consider Pool's most recent injury. Mangini's mandate for secrecy makes sense here, and his propensity for cross-training would be an ideal cover story if there are fire alarms going off around the safety position. still, i have heard nothing of neither Furrey nor Cribbs getting reps at DB.

i think they don't. Cribbs has sick potential to be a dangerous #2 >> i feel his previous experience at WR gives him a slight edge over the rookies and Furrey at #3 solidifies the core. he's a sure-handed veteran and a solid pro. it's an intoxicating marriage if Cribbs can get up to speed. MoMass or Robo are free to develop naturally without thrusting anything unecessary upon them while they adjust to the speed and the pro game. let some unitasker focus on safety, these guys are spoken for.

if Don Carey recovers from his shoulder injury fairly quickly that was an enormous WHIFF by KokMan.

In Mangini's presser he talked about Troy Brown a lot when asked about Furrey @ safety. Basically along the lines of being able to use such a smart, talented vet like that when and where you need him is a huge bonus. "Teaching" Troy defense was pretty easy, because he would start out saying "What would you do, to beat you?" and they'd go from there.

Basically hinting that it would be the same with Furrey, if the situation arose.

This is what I like as our WR's:

#1 BE / MoMass

#2 Cribbs

#3 Furrey

Heiden @ TE.

Guest ATENEARS
Dear God, everybody look out for the return of Jesus, Stan and I are in agreement.

I was really upset when we let Brian Russell go, he was the closest thing we've had to that knockout saftey since our return.

Sadly, I have to agree about Russell, and I could care either way when he walked. That's how bad it's been since our return to the league in 99'.

Guest ATENEARS
I don't think there is much merit in that article. Furrey has looked good in the slot position (like a poor man's Wes Welker). It would be nice to have a safety that could hit like Steve Atwater used to. Roy Williams fit that bill, but he was not great in coverage. I thought they should have looked at him before the Bungles snatched him up though.

Keep coming with the Erocc, Tatum, and Atwater comments, it gives me a woody.

I was a Roy William fan too, great run support safety, but yes he struggled poorly in coverage. Everything had to be in front of him ... but great knock-out hitter and tremendous at blowing up a lead block('ers). I wanted him here too and cried like a bitch taht we let him slip by.

I liked Bob Sanders too, hometown just 90-mins down the road in Erie PA. He is a Defensive QB as well as a big hitter and great run support and blitz, but has been often injured now too. The backs are getting too big, I'd like to see a tweener college LB convert to the safety position and be big enough and fast enough to blow the whole freaking field up.

Guest ATENEARS

Don't anyone mix up the Old Browns era with the New Browns era, when discussing Safeties ever again. They should not be mentioned in the same breath.

My first question on this topic is what the hell was Pool doing on the kick coverage unit with his concussion history?

I'm betting even money that Pool is finished. I think there's a good chance he won't get medical clearance to play again if he did, indeed, suffer another significant concussion.

What a dumb move to have him out there. Just stupid.

That said, I'm with everyone else on this topic.... draft the guy on the right next year:

cush1e897161bc5.jpg

Guest ATENEARS
Sorry everyone, Russell sucked.

That doesn't go against anything anyone was saying, but he was one of the Browns best safeties in the new era, from a hard hitting, 'QB of defense' point of view.

That doesn't go against anything anyone was saying, but he was one of the Browns best safeties in the new era, from a hard hitting, 'QB of defense' point of view.

I don't recall him being much of a "hard-hitter." Save for that Chad hit, of course. I remember him being a liability.

I'll take Jones, Pool, Adams, Elam, Felix Wright, Thane Gash..............................

Guest ATENEARS
I don't recall him being much of a "hard-hitter." Save for that Chad hit, of course. I remember him being a liability.

I'll take Jones, Pool, Adams, Elam, Felix Wright, Thane Gash..............................

Jones had one showcase year ('showing' potential), that all ended abruptly, do to injury or whatever. He was as bad as Percy Ellsworth last season. Pool hasn't done anything ... he can't even point to 'one big Chad Johnson hit' . Elam came in high billing, but has been burned already in the preseason.

Feliz Wright & Thane Gash aren't even close to being from this 'New era', except that Thane is a buddy of TheBrownsBoard on our facebook page (seriously).

Archived